• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
"Paradice".
26651990-lucky-dice-with-angelic-wings-flight-in-dark-sky-illustration.jpg

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Everything I see seems to point back to the site below (it's at the end), which is kind of dying atm so might take a few tries. But they don't provide a source either so...

That site is associated with the guy who made the video in the OP which is suspect but I mean... if you watch the video this isn't like other amateur answers where they forced a dubious solution. The methodology is pretty straightforward and seemingly sound (but I am not an expert)

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine being the zodiac killer. It must be so gratifying in a way, to have gotten away with everything and still see articles pop up decades later about how the worlds greatest cryptanalysts were stumped. I bet it gives the guy are real sense of pride.

Fucked up.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine being the zodiac killer. It must be so gratifying in a way, to have gotten away with everything and still see articles pop up decades later about how the worlds greatest cryptanalysts were stumped. I bet it gives the guy are real sense of pride.

Fucked up.
Well he is probably dead or in jail

but then again, people said that about EAR/ONS too — the big problem with serial killer research is that it is all based on people who got caught

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That site is associated with the guy who made the video in the OP which is suspect but I mean... if you watch the video this isn't like other amateur answers where they forced a dubious solution. The methodology is pretty straightforward and seemingly sound (but I am not an expert)
This feels super amateur to me
A real cryptography expert would have started with a clear explanation of the cipher using terms of the art and they would have published something that can be peer reviewed.
This isn't it.

I'm not saying it's impossible for an amateur to succeed where experts failed, it happened before, I just don't think it's super likely here. But in any case, I will wait for verification. If there is any merit for this it will get picked by mainstream media, and verifying a cipher solution is pretty straight forward (though they will have to publish more details about their process I think).

Sylvestre

Banned
Mar 20, 2020
Very impressive work !

That actually would be a smart decision to intentionally misspell words in a still understandable manner. It's tracking patterns like known words that help with cracking cipher's, so throwing off established patterns could help with obscuring the message. Throw in some number replacements for letters (i.e. e sometimes becomes 3, etc.) and it could help keep the cipher hidden.

you speak with the assumuption Zodiac didnt want people to crack the code.

Sylvestre

Banned
Mar 20, 2020
This feels super amateur to me
A real cryptography expert would have started with a clear explanation of the cipher using terms of the art and they would have published something that can be peer reviewed.
This isn't it.

I'm not saying it's impossible for an amateur to succeed where experts failed, it happened before, I just don't think it's super likely here. But in any case, I will wait for verification. If there is any merit for this it will get picked by mainstream media, and verifying a cipher solution is pretty straight forward (though they will have to publish more details about their process I think).

Have you watched the 5 videos ? They are pretty clear in their explaination

edit : https://www.sfchronicle.com/crime/a...-cracked-by-code-expert-51-years-15794943.php

nilbog

Oct 25, 2017
Awesome. I wish they would take another look at the Gaviota beach murders in 1963. Has Zodiac written all over it.

117744895_1172505866462823_4655951251503143726_n.jpg

117825950_1172506023129474_3689651676121050700_n.jpg

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Have you watched the 5 videos ? They are pretty clear in their explaination

edit : https://www.sfchronicle.com/crime/a...-cracked-by-code-expert-51-years-15794943.php
I have watched it, they rely on tools and methodology that are not fully explained in the video.
The video doesn't have enough info to replicate what they're doing.

Also note how the SF chronicle couldn't get the FBI to confirm that solution like the website claim they did, which is another bad sign if you ask me.

"The FBI is aware that a cipher attributed to the Zodiac Killer was recently solved by private citizens. The Zodiac Killer case remains an ongoing investigation for the FBI San Francisco division and our local law enforcement partners.

"The Zodiac Killer terrorized multiple communities across Northern California and even though decades have gone by, we continue to seek justice for the victims of these brutal crimes," she continued. "Due to the ongoing nature of the investigation, and out of respect for the victims and their families, we will not be providing further comment at this time."

This is only a confirmation that they got the solution submitted.

Sylvestre

Banned
Mar 20, 2020
I have watched it, they rely on tools and methodology that are not fully explained in the video.
The video doesn't have enough info to replicate what they're doing.

Also note how the SF chronicle couldn't get the FBI to confirm that solution like the website claim they did, which is another bad sign if you ask me.

This is only a confirmation that they got the solution submitted.

seems like your idea is made for some reason, it litteraly says "it was solved" in the quote from the FBI, but you do you my man :) have a nice day

Oct 27, 2017
The fudging of the lines and the exclusion of "lifeis" from their diagonal method seems totally arbitrary and not like a real solution.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
seems like your idea is made for some reason, it litteraly says "it was solved" in the quote from the FBI, but you do you my man :) have a nice day
You are right, it is made for a reason - I have some background in cryptography and this is not how experts talk and not how they would have presented their solution.

I'm not saying that means they're wrong, laymen stumbled on stuff that experts missed before, just that they have not provided nearly enough information for anyone to be able to really verify their claim, and I think it's not bad to keep some healthy skepticism about this, at least until we have some more serious confirmation (and I don't think the FBI statement is that). These are not the first people who have claimed to have solved this.

Maybe there is more in their website but it's currently down. I'm sure every cryptography expert in the world will have a go at this pretty damn soon though, so we will know one way or another.

Apr 25, 2020
The fact that he came up with such an effective cipher yet on the other hand is clearly a jibbering paranoid schizophrenic is an interesting paradigm.

Zip

Oct 28, 2017
The fudging of the lines and the exclusion of "lifeis" from their diagonal method seems totally arbitrary and not like a real solution.

Yeah that part is weird in that they just picked where to put 'life is', even though the sentences they had constructed made better sense without it inserted where they put it.

Same with the 'death' at the end. Though assuming he made tweaks like having a part or two that doesn't follow the rules of the rest, the user interpretations of the correct placement of 'life is death' seems like it works a lot better.

Notes to make for anyone looking to make an encrypted language for themselves - have spelling mistakes and mix in parts following alternative rules that the rest doesn't follow. Seems like those were the key parts that helped stump people for so long. That and not having computer analysis ability to just try and brute force it.

nilbog

Oct 25, 2017

Seems like it should be Life is Death at the end

I HOPE YOU ARE HAVING LOTS OF FUN IN TRYING TO CATCH ME
THAT WASNT ME ON THE TV SHOW
WHICH BRINGS UP A POINT ABOUT ME
I AM NOT AFRAID OF THE GAS CHAMBER
BECAUSE IT WILL SEND ME TO PARADICE ALL THE SOONER
BECAUSE I NOW HAVE ENOUGH SLAVES TO WORK FOR ME
WHERE EVERYONE ELSE HAS NOTHING WHEN THEY REACH PARADICE
SO THEY ARE AFRAID OF DEATH
I AM NOT AFRAID BECAUSE I KNOW THAT MY NEW
LIFE WILL BE AN EASY ONE IN PARADICE
LIFE IS DEATH

Garchia3.0

Dec 20, 2018
This is pretty cool, but I'm also kind of sad that there's one less mystery in the world. I mean, if this had brought us closer to knowing the true identity of the killer, and the families of the victims getting some form of closure that would have been another thing.

There's probably a hidden message inside the decrypted file though.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
Why wasn't this decyphered before when they had decyphered his other letters?

Doesnt really bring anything new to the table though, i doubt they will ever find out who he was. Thinking about it is creepy as fuck.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
Oh yeah I have no reason to doubt their claim and I suspect the FBI may have made a statement. I was just pointing out there's a lack of source so it's possible that it's not accurate.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
Why wasn't this decyphered before when they had decyphered his other letters?

Doesnt really bring anything new to the table though, i doubt they will ever find out who he was. Thinking about it is creepy as fuck.

There was only one note before this that was deciphered. And just because you figure out one cypher doesn't mean another one works the same way.

Justin Bailey

BackOnline
Oct 28, 2017
Even if this isn't a real solution, if it's a feasible solution then I could see the FBI giving it their blessing anyway. If the killer is still alive it might make him crawl out of the rock he slithered into and try and communicate with the press again.

Slyonic

Oct 29, 2017
Wait, I've only seen the movie and now I see people say the killer's identity isn't known. I thought it was Arthur Leigh Allen?

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, I've only seen the movie and now I see people say the killer's identity isn't known. I thought it was Arthur Leigh Allen?

Movie was based on Greysmith's book which was his conclusion. I won't get into it, but most active online groups that discuss the case generally don't think it was Allen, mainly due to perceived inaccuracies in Greysmith's book / lack of physical evidence like hand writing and not matching dna on back of stamps.

IMO I think it very well could have been Allen but just as likely he liked people thinking he was the killer. He either straight up told a friend he was the killer or that same friend went to the police and tried to pin it on him.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
this is awesome. Zodiac is one of my favorite movies. Now I wish they could re-film the 340 part.

Doopl

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like the relevant bits of the video are at 4:44 and 10:47 if someone wants to check that the message is actually in there.

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
Well at least it confirms it wasn't him that called into that variety show (as shown in the movie), not that I thought it was him anyways. Also, he didn't kill anyone after the time this letter was sent (Paul Stine the last one).

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
So, are there more messages unsolved or was that it now? Why was it so hard to decrypt?
There are two more. They are very short so they are unlikely to ever get solved. One of them is part of a letter that ends with "My name is " (code).
And the other is a short sentence supposedly describing where he placed a bomb.

Cyphers are hard to decrypt in general, because there are basically an infinite number of ways to encrypt things. There are lots of basic encryptions that can be solved in minutes/hours. But that is not the case in general.