• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 33412

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Tokyo
Post 1800

Napoleon
Armstrong
Hitler + Nazi's (Probably the most unfortunately)
Stalin
Churchill
Beethoven
Newton/Einstein

Exceptionally eurocentric but we are living in an increasingly Westernised World.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Given how many people from 2000 years ago are still known, I'd wager quite a few. Especially since events are so much better documented than 2000 year ago, although that may be a double-edged sword. Tutankhamun was given a golden death mask in his time, which survived until our time. It both lets us know he was considered important in Ancient Egypt but it also grants him fame in the modern world. With so much information available on just about everyone who is remotely important in our current age, yet without any grand monuments to tell apart the really important ones, today's big names might just end up as footnotes the history books of the year 4000.

In that light, 'anonymous' statues like The Motherland Calls (Russia) or the Statue of Liberty (America), that represent events or virtues rather than actual persons, might end up as the real famous persons that survive into the distant future, should these monuments remain standing that long.

Jun 24, 2019
I doubt the people we find prominent now would be prominent in the next millennias (unless they screwed up the earth so badly, like nuclear wars and shit).

My guess, scientists /mathematicians like Einstein Newton and Hawking will continue to be famous. Maybe al-Khwārizmī will get some spotlight in the future.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Mozart

The thing with Hitler is that his legacy, too, will be fleeting if there's another conflict beyond the scale of WWII.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Babe Ruth, Michael Jordan, Tom Brady

Even if better players come along, I would expect them to be eternal parts of sports history.

I had to google who Tom Brady is. Never heard of the name, don't recognize his face. Outside of America American football and its players are not really big.

Sandcrawler

Oct 27, 2017
From the past 200 years there are plenty of composers who have some timeless creations like Chopin, Tchaikovsky, and Beethoven that have a good chance of having their works (and subsequently, their names) carried on through the future. Picasso is another good one people have already listed.

Beyond the arts, we have to make many assumptions of how the world develops. Does the world get unified or dominated by a single large government, or are there still independent countries? How fucked does it get from climate change (from very to borderline uninhabitable by people)? Has there been a nuclear apocalypse? Do we actually begin to colonize space? Some of these will restrict the amount of history that makes it into the future while others will change the context such that events from now are not at all important. That said, I think Hitler has the best chance of being remembered with Mao and Ghandi being up there because the sheer size of India's and China's populations today would help carry them into the future.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
rian-johnson-star-wars-1550240722.jpg

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
In a few hundred years, some politicians, Musk, some sportsman. Also Bin Laden. And Karl Marx. In thousands of years? For sure some scientist we dont give a shit today + Einstein.

sml_x

Oct 27, 2017
The correct answer is nobody. 2000 years is a long fucking time, and even today universal recognition is pretty much reserved for religious figures. A whole hell of a lot of both horrific and amazing things will happen in 2000 years time, and people can only keep track of so much. Historians might take an interest in a handful of people, but lol at anybody who thinks that future civilizations will give two shits about our popular culture.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if they will stay in humankind's memory in 2000 years, because a lot can happen in that time frame, but imo the most (in)famous and influential people in their fields of the last 200 years are:
- Hitler
- Einstein
- Beethoven
- Picasso

Edit: Funny how only one of those is not related to Germany, lol.

Last edited:

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
This is a way harder thing to measure against the past due to film and tv. It would be pretty interesting seeing who comes out as revered as Shakespeare in film.

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
I'm saving up for a tomb so that when I die I will be dug up and studied.

"LGHT_TRSN....we don't know exactly what he was responsible for....but he had a dope-ass tomb so he must've been important."

I am a Bird

Oct 31, 2017
Steve martin. I refuse to believe that people will ever stop watching the jerk or planes, trains, and automobiles.

Mar 29, 2018
Tech guys will be barely a footnote. Who invented buttressed walls, tiled roofs or stained-glass windows? Today's revolutionary tech is forgotten quickly.

The Wright brothers stand a good chance, since flight is kinda a big deal.
Political leaders need to be of worldwide importance since I doubt the current nation state system will be a thing in 2000 years' time. Lenin, Stalin and Mao stand a chance. Hitler of course, and maybe Churchill/FDR as his western opposition.
MLK and Mandela might do it, since civil rights and apartheid racism went beyond being an American/South African thing.

Einstein for sure, since his physics theories will still be relevant in 2000 years. Heisenberg/Schroedinger will be known because a lot of future tech will use quantum physics but only for the uncertainty/cat things (as they are now).

Just realised that late modern goes back further (and recovery stopped at WW2) so Napoleon stands a chance and Newton is a certainty. Washington is there too with Lincoln, with maybe Jefferson and Franklin too.
The bolded is especially true since inventions nowadays increasingly come from teams rather than individuals

Oct 27, 2017
There's a crap-ton of people in the Bible that get remembered, so I imagine you don't even need to be directly famous to make it 2000 years. You just need to be associated with extremely famous people or big events. Seriously, we know who Pontius Pilate is, so I assume any random politician could end up being known if they happen to be in the right place for a single event.

Given the amount of people from just that one book that are known, I assume there will be far more people than most expect who's memory survives into the future.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Feel like Yuri Gagarin has a bigger chance than Armstrong, on a long-enough timeline.

Jisgsaw

Oct 27, 2017
Outside Einstein and Hitler, probably some other political figure (Napoleon, Mao, Stalin), some artists (Beethoven, Picasso).
Also some other scientist, be it only because we gave physical units or fundamental physical formulas / porperties their name (Ohm, Tesla, Hertz, Joule, Kelvin, Celsius (not Farenheit...), Becquerel, Ampere, Volta, Faraday, Maxwell, Fermi...)

The correct answer is nobody. 2000 years is a long fucking time, and even today universal recognition is pretty much reserved for religious figures. A whole hell of a lot of both horrific and amazing things will happen in 2000 years time, and people can only keep track of so much. Historians might take an interest in a handful of people, but lol at anybody who thinks that future civilizations will give two shits about our popular culture.

I'm pretty sure you know who Julius Caesar, Cleopatra, Pythagores, Archimedes or Homer are, and they are all from over 2000 year ago, and all political figures, scientists or artists.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty sure there will be lots of people who exist today will be alive in the 5th millennium. And they will take whatever drugs exist then to enhance the human memory. So, basically everyone.

jerf

Nov 1, 2017
Who cares? Everyone died a 1,800 years ago.

and IF anyone is still alive all they will remember, all they will have ever known is a world of eternal fire, nothing else.

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Humans are probably gone in 100 years. The planet is dying from our POV. 20 years too late to course correct.