• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Probably a stupid question but what is the correct order to play the Yakuza series? Feel like going crazy and started them now they are on GP.

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
It's playable on Xbox Series X + S just like PS4 games are playable on PS5, but it's not an Xbox Series X + S title.

OP
OP
FarSight XR-20
Jan 4, 2018
Probably a stupid question but what is the correct order to play the Yakuza series? Feel like going crazy and started them now they are on GP.

The Verge wrote this:

Without spoiling anything, here's how I'd recommend getting into it:

• Start with Yakuza 0. Normally you'd want to play the first game in a series before tackling its prequel, but Yakuza is different. 0 is set decades before Yakuza, in bubble-era '80s Japan, and it's widely considered to be one of the best in the series. It's the perfect place to start, and it'll tell you all you need to know about the background for what's to come.
  • Next, play Yakuza Kiwami. This is a full-on remake of the original Yakuza, which was released for the PS2 in 2005. Kiwami came out shortly after 0 and is technically very similar, with a bunch of narrative callbacks to the prequel, which is why it makes sense to play 0 first.
  • Up next, Yakuza Kiwami 2. Like Kiwami, this is a remake of a PS2 game, 2006's Yakuza 2. But it moves to the PS4-era Dragon Engine, first seen in Yakuza 6, and it's a much bigger and more accomplished game than Kiwami.
  • Now play Yakuza 3, 4, and 5. At this point I'm guessing you're pretty into the series, so the prospect of three straight-up PS3 remasters won't seem intimidating at all. I think 4 is the best of these three games, but you're going to want to get through all of them.
  • Wait for Yakuza 6: The Song of Life to come to Game Pass. That won't be too long a wait — it's happening on March 25th. Or you could just play it on a PS4 before then. But make sure you do play it, either way, because it's wonderful.
  • Now it's time for Yakuza: Like a Dragon. Otherwise known as Yakuza 7 in Japan, I actually think you could start with this one too if you really just wanted to play the newest game. It's very different to the others, with an all-new cast and turn-based battle system, and right now it's best on the Xbox Series X. But you will get a little more out of it if you've played the other games in the series, so I'd hold off if you can. It's also not on Game Pass — you'll have to buy it separately. And as a final warning, it's two or three times longer than most of the other games. (But worth it!)

www.theverge.com

Now is the best time to play the Yakuza series (on Xbox)

Almost every mainline title is now on Game Pass.

Micro

Oct 28, 2017
I was coming in here to ask the same thing.

I think now is the time to jump in.

Welcome to Yakuza!

Most people, including myself, will suggest starting with 0. It's definitely my favourite, so it should get you hooked if you like it.

0, Kiwami, Kiwami 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, Like a Dragon

There are also spin-offs like Fist of the North Star: Lost Paradise, Judgment, a zombie one called Dead Souls, and a few Japan-exclusive titles.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
I was coming in here to ask the same thing.

I think now is the time to jump in.

not a stupid question. In general for most things people recommend release order. However, the devs have speccifically remade the first game to have more of a connection with 0. 0 is very much the intended starting place now.

0, kiwami, kiwami 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 (in march) and then like a dragon

like a dragon can be played as a standalone and you will definitely enjoy it and understand most of it, but contrary to popular belief its actually the 7th entry in the series (its even called yakuza 7 in japan iirc) with several call backs, references and even some plot threads directly picked up from 6.

Izanagi89

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017

As others have said. Just want to add it's mostly safe to play Yakuza 7 also if you wanna jump into the latest entry without playing the previous games

Dalcop

Nov 28, 2017
I'll say that 0 is the best one if you're not sure about the series or only plan on some. Starting with 1 and doing release order remains my suggestion if you want the full package, rough edges and all.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
I just finished Yakuza 3 remastered a few days ago. I never got around to playing the fourth game.

RedAhmed

Jan 9, 2018
Awesome! I was planning to play the entire series on PS4, but now I can just play them all on PC. Well, except Judgement I think?

Guy Legend

Sep 22, 2020
Is yakuza 3 worth playing? That's the only game between 0-5 I haven't played. Heard that remaster is the furthest behind.

Waiting to play 6 still.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
I'm glad I wasn't the only one confused as to which game to start with and what order lol.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
Remember when Sega could barely manage a digital-only release of Yakuza 5 on one console? They really blew it up after Yakuza 0.

Hardvlade

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Like others have mentioned, start with 0. However, you could also play Yakuza: Like a Dragon first if you wanted to. I would still recommend at LEAST playing 0 before Like a Dragon (it makes it a bit better if you do, but not necessary to understand and enjoy Like a Dragon)

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Numerically.

0>1>2>3>4>5>6>Like a Dragon (this is numbered 7 in Japan).

If/when Judgment comes out on GP and PC, it takes place between 6 and 7.

Deleted member 44122

Like others have mentioned, start with 0. However, you could also play Yakuza: Like a Dragon first if you wanted to. I would still recommend at LEAST playing 0 before Like a Dragon (it makes it a bit better if you do, but not necessary to understand and enjoy Like a Dragon)
i dont recommend starting with like a dragon at all if they plan on playing the whole series anyway. there are certain events in 7 that just hit harder when youve experienced the entire story.
i also agree with the others that the perfect way to play is numerical order starting with 0 (so 0, k1, k2, 3-5 remaster, 6, then lad)

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
So awesome these are finally on PC.

Waiting on Yakuza 6 cuz seems that's the only way I'm going to be able to play VF5 FS on PC :( Releasing in March, yes?

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
The description says 1080p/60 for the remastered titles.
For reasons that boggle my mind, correct, the Yakuza Remastered Collection is not X Enhanced. I'm a bit miffed about it, to be honest. I was hoping to hop over to my Series X to play the remaining Yakuza games (I literally just beat 2 last night), but I'll be sticking with the PC, it seems.

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
For reasons that boggle my mind, correct, the Yakuza Remastered Collection is not X Enhanced. I'm a bit miffed about it, to be honest. I was hoping to hop over to my Series X to play the remaining Yakuza games (I literally just beat 2 last night), but I'll be sticking with the PC, it seems.

Looks like they just optimized for xbox one, that's such a lame move. The remaster is already 1440p on pro so there's no reason why they couldn't at least do that on xbox one x. I would rather play these games on xbox due to better bc but not at 1080p.

Oct 28, 2017
Numerically.

0>1>2>3>4>5>6>Like a Dragon (this is numbered 7 in Japan).

If/when Judgment comes out on GP and PC, it takes place between 6 and 7.
I agree, but considering how long thats going to take, I would suggest an alternative route of Zero + Kiwami1 to finish up the main arc of those two (Kiryu and Nishiki), and then maybe consider playing 7 just to catch up and while others are playing it (Ive saved my second playthrough for 100% so I can join up with the people on PS5 lol).

And then go back to 2-6 to catch up with Kiryus story after that.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I'm getting really intense input lag in Yakuza 5. I just started playing and when I move the cursor on the map or navigate the menu, it's extremely noticable. I'm using a wired Xbox Duke and I use this controller for all my PC games without issue.

I wonder if this was always the case with Yakuza games and I'm only noticing now because it's the first time I've played on PC.

May 15, 2019
Release order is 1 through 5, 0, Kiwami (Remake of 1), 6, Kiwami 2 (Remake of 2), Like a Dragon (7). Chronological order would be 0, 1/Kiwami, 2/Kiwami 2, 3 through 6, Like a Dragon.

You can start with 0 or you can start with 1/Kiwami, but the Kiwamis introduce references and elements from 0 and later games in the series.

Kaji AF16

Nov 6, 2017
Argentina
As much as I love Sega, I hadn´t played any Yakuza game before they entered Game Pass. I liked 0 a lot, but it was only during Kiwami´s latter half that I became invested with the franchise. I loved Kiwami 2 and I was surprised at its relative complexity. Lots of subsystems there.

As goofy as a lot of the content is, the relative disagreement on which game is the best of the series is a testimony of its greatness, I believe.

I am about to start with 3 Remastered and I intend to keep busy with the saga until mid-year.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hoping the game pass PC versions of the remasters have a bit more stability with their saves than 0. Just lost a lot of progress yesterday due to the save system not working after some building issues (ex. creating new saves despite being told to overwrite existing).

It doesn't help that there doesn't seem to be a way to access the save files either to delete old/unwanted saves or check on issues that may be there.

That said, I'm not sure when I'll get around to them. After 0, whether through game pass or starting over on PS4, I'll be going to 7, and both of those are a lot of game to get through. I've probably spent 30-40 hours in 0 alone, and that's only at the start of Ch.5 where apparently the game really begins to take off.

PerrierChaud

Feb 24, 2019
This not being X enhanced is a joke. The IQ on Yakuza 4 (the only one I haven't replayed back when I got it on PS4) is nasty.