• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sioul

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 27, 2017
The store stuff is cool, but the social side is megabarebones and disappointing. I legitimately dont understand why it has some clunky 1on1 voice chat instead of regular party chat

I think that you can create a group (button next to the contact search) and start the party chat there

MrGerbils

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just get this. I can download some of the games but I can't upgrade to the 1903 update for some reason (I've heard it's a bug which prevents people with 2 or more hard drives from installing it)

93Ig7LM.png

Im getting this error too. I'm running Windows 10 v1809. When I manually click "check for updates" inWindows settings, nothing comes up to update to 1903. Not sure what else to do..

Oct 31, 2017
The Blocc
I don't understand whats so special about it, it's just as bare bones as the epic store.

No, its not....they have a search bar. But seriously, I can't even pick the drive where I want to install each game, no idea how to access files. It's no different than how things were 4 months ago, its just a new app with a different interface but its still the same thing. Can't even get an FPS counter, smh.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
No, its not....they have a search bar. But seriously, I can't even pick the drive where I want to install each game, no idea how to access files. It's no different than how things were 4 months ago, its just a new app with a different interface but its still the same thing. Can't even get an FPS counter, smh.

Huh? The first thing that comes up when you click install is a prompt for which disk drive to install to.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if the UI they are using here gives us any hints for where their head is at for Scarlett's UI

RazorbackDB

Oct 25, 2017

antispin

Oct 27, 2017
The UI feels slow and the app itself is a bit buggy. But hey, early days, small steps. I'm happy to have downloaded CrossCode and Slay...

Ganado

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Well, MS still does not get a pass from me. I tried downloading Metro Exodus on my OS drive and it got stuck at 9%. No reason why but it was due to disk space and I didn't know how much it would take. So I try to install it on my other SSD. Now it works and go to 100% at a good pace, however it gets stuck on 100% with an error and now I can't delete it nor play it. Shit like this is why I stick with Steam.

Byron Hinson

Nov 14, 2017
UK
Every time I try to open the store in the new app it says its failed and to restart the app. Downloads game pass games fine though.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Really wish it was easier to tell what's a UWP and what's a traditonal program.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
Works nicely so far, other than sporadic gamepad issues (only seems to work while plugged in, but once I plug it in, I can then unplug and play wirelessly... just weird).

I would love if MS took the initiative and developed this into an all-in-one launcher for Steam, Epic, UPlay, Origin, and Battle.net games and just made it a native part of Windows going forward.

But yes, even though this is very barebones, it's clean design and responsiveness really highlight how creaking and bloated Steam is.

Nov 8, 2017
I wouldn't go as far as calling it a good store or client in comparison to what else is out there. However, I've already got gamepass and the Xbox Ultimate deal was too good to not upgrade to (i.e. my 2 years of GP and 1 year of XBLG turned into 3 years of ultimate for $1) so I'll use it for some games. It's certainly a lot more pleasant to use than the Win Store, which somehow still feels kind of clunky even when it's working perfectly.

If I want a game permanently there's a high chance I would still prefer to own it on Steam or GoG. Maybe in 12-18 months time it'll have been upgraded enough for me to have strong incentives to use it outside of the scope of [free shit via gamepass], but it's taking steps in the right direction.

What I want from Microsoft now is for them to patch in Gamepad navigation to Windows generally. I should be able to use the XBO pad to navigate all the modern Windows UIs and bring up virtual keyboard and virtual mouse for interactions with legacy programs using it. It's insanity to me this has never been an initiative that they've pursued.

Slowsonic

Feb 25, 2018
It's not steam, but it's doing what it's supposed to do.

I probably won't buy pc only game from it instead of steam, but I'm now much confident to buy play anywhere titles and sign up for gamepass pc without have to worry about the store may fail on me.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
It's a lot better than the shitty Windows Store that was the default before this new app. I'm not seeing any sorting options in the store part of it or in the Game Pass section, as I'd like to see what has achievements/cloud saves and focus more on that. It's a bit plain in terms of features right now.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
Can't wait to try it later. Are any games still UWP, or all Win32 now?

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
Works nicely so far, other than sporadic gamepad issues (only seems to work while plugged in, but once I plug it in, I can then unplug and play wirelessly... just weird).

I would love if MS took the initiative and developed this into an all-in-one launcher for Steam, Epic, UPlay, Origin, and Battle.net games and just made it a native part of Windows going forward.

But yes, even though this is very barebones, it's clean design and responsiveness really highlight how creaking and bloated Steam is.

Definitely. Microsoft is potentially the best candidate to solve our growing launcher woes. They should work with Steam to integrate their controller support into the Windows OS itself, giving Xbox, DS4, and Switch controller native support for games, along with giving the option to customize controls in the Game Bar.

KamenRiderEra

Oct 25, 2017
It's missing a fps counter. Also an option to change the language of the games without need to change the idiom of the entire Windows

Hero of Time

Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty slow and buggy for me so far.

9/10 times I click "show all" on Game Pass games, it won't even display half the list.

UltraJay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
There's still some integration with game's info that is in the old Xbox app now called the Xbox Console Companion. Seing a recently played list, a game's achievements, screenshots and captures are all in the older app.

ShaggsMagoo

Oct 28, 2017
There are a few hangups I have so far:

1: Not all games are showing up. For example, Forza Horizon 3 is not showing.
2: You can't pick your install location on a per game basis, it has to be at the system setting level.
3: Needs to be cleaned up for better usability, a list view instead of the grid for example.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Is there a way to add this app or the game from this app to Steam? Having all kinds of trouble getting my controller(NSW Pro controller) to work. Seems to work on Forza Horizon 4 but not on Messenger and some others. Trying to get it so I can run my profiles across all the games.

I want to like their store, but the second I step outside of the Steam ecosystem, I find myself missing all of its features and want to just immediately go right back. Not having something as basic as controller support just isn't going to cut it anymore. Microsoft is going to have to get on their level and do it quick if they want my money.

Last edited:

Firthy

Nov 19, 2017
UK
Does playing games on the game pass through the Xbox beta app have Xbox achievement support?

Kaim Argonar

Dec 8, 2017
It's better but it's only finding Gears 4 on my library. I also have Forza Horizon 3 and Minecraft. I guess it can't show UWP only games right now?

Sniffy

Jan 31, 2018
This is so much better than the old store. Much cleaner and more responsive, and I'd probably rate it above other storefronts in terms of aesthetics and performance.

vegtro

Oct 25, 2017
Did anyone download Metro Exodus on PC yet from the Windows Store? My video settings doesn't seem to auto enable my settings every time I start the game. Also can't seem to find the cfg file to disable Mouse Acceleration.

Lethologica

Oct 27, 2017
would you rate it much higher than the previous store?
Well, I never actually had any problem with the previous storefront, but from a pure usability standpoint it's much, much better. More responsive as well; it doesn't hang as the old store did, like when trying to access your library, for example.

Being a beta, they clearly have some things to work on, like the ability to categorize and sort your downloads, a couple of the game in my library don't have icons (they launch fine though), etc., but hey, at least it's has a search function.

I'd say they are off to a pretty good start with this.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I've ran into a couple issues with the experience using this app so far.

#1 The download speeds are oddly slow for me tonight. Not matching my PC's usual connection speeds at the moment but that could be something else going on tonight on my end.

#2 Can't get my XboxOne control pad to work with Cross Code at all. Works on other games I've tried like Ori, but for Cross Code the solutions I've read online to my problem aren't possible through the options on this app.

#3 When trying to navigate the app itself to make some adjustments to my account there were a lot of links back to my browser to get into pages on Microsoft's site that didn't correlate too what I needed. I'm new to using Xbox profile options on my PC but there's a weird disconnect with all the XBL stuff and my Microsoft account. It's just a bit messy. Everything is there if you dig far enough but even finding the page to remove an old credit card was oddly harder to find than I would like. I'm sure I'll get used to where everything is but I wish it could be simpler to access everything. I'd love if I could compare games on games pass PC with those on my One to cross reference what I have, cloud save, swap in-between, ect.

TioChuck

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Did anyone download Metro Exodus on PC yet from the Windows Store? My video settings doesn't seem to auto enable my settings every time I start the game. Also can't seem to find the cfg file to disable Mouse Acceleration.
I did, my resolution keeps going to 720p, the game files are located on c:/Program files/windowsapps but you need permission to open the folder and i had no time to mess with It yet.

cheduff

Oct 27, 2017
Weird. Download starts out super fast, then slows way down. Like from 150mb/s to 3 mb/s. I'm on gig internet.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
It's a really low bar to do better than the windows store... This is just legit good tho.

Definitely feels like what the windows store should be.

Wouldn't be surprised if they wind up moving windows store to this type of design and layout after it's success.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
Well, I never actually had any problem with the previous storefront, but from a pure usability standpoint it's much, much better. More responsive as well; it doesn't hang as the old store did, like when trying to access your library, for example.

Being a beta, they clearly have some things to work on, like the ability to categorize and sort your downloads, a couple of the game in my library don't have icons (they launch fine though), etc., but hey, at least it's has a search function.

I'd say they are off to a pretty good start with this.
ah.. Thanks. my cousin had a terrible experience with the previous store, I wanted to be sure about this one before recommending it to him.

Lethologica

Oct 27, 2017
ah.. Thanks. my cousin had a terrible experience with the previous store, I wanted to be sure about this one before recommending it to him.
Honestly, if he was having a lot of troubles with the previous store, downloading and trying out the new one probably can't be any worse. I downloaded something like 12 games exclusively through it yesterday and they all worked fine.

He has to be running the latest Windows 10 update (1903) to get it to work though.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, if he was having a lot of troubles with the previous store, downloading and trying out the new one probably can't be any worse. I downloaded something like 12 games exclusively through it yesterday and they all worked fine.

He has to be running the latest Windows 10 update (1903) to get it to work though.
Thanks.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
Can anyone confirm that the games on there play nice with the Steam overlay? It's hard to give up on Steam input settings.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
It's very sleek looking, but being unable to instantly see the install location OR size of the games you have is messed up.