• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
eJZNYtenaSyCZBdTLWKtvA.jpg

I like to share a lot of screenshots and clips on Twitter. While doing so, I've noticed a big difference in ease of use between the two platforms.
Before I go further, let me just say the basic use is there and it's "fine". If you want to share a screenshot or trim a video you can do so without much trouble on Xbox.
It's just a lot of smaller things that continually add up in comparison

1. Xbox Screenshot button is "delayed"
I know I'm not the only one who has dealt with this. While it seems to be near-instantaneous on PS5, I've noticed a prominent delay when taking screenshots on Xbox (Whether using the guide or the Xbox Button on the new controller). Dunno if it's just due to how the OS is or something else, but I shouldn't have to guess a delay to get a picture that isn't someone standing still.

2. Xbox can't upload to Twitter in the background
While this probably isn't an issue for many with faster internet, it can get a bit annoying when posting longer clips (though it impacts screenshots as well). For those unaware, you pick your video, put your post, and then upload. You then have to watch the bar upload and are unable to do anything with the console as it does so. Seems an odd decision when Clips/Screenshots can be uploaded in the background if going directly to Xbox Live.

3. Xbox can't Crop Images
Now to be fair, this is a new feature the PS5 has that wasn't available on the PS4. Regardless, it's a very nice feature and I've used it more than once already to focus attention on the part of an image that actually matters. With screenshots now being even higher quality than before, this just seems like a good feature to have so you aren't needing to grab images and crop them yourself via desktop/mobile

4. Xbox can't post a batch of images
This might be something I missed and I'll edit if so. But from my usage, I haven't seen an obvious way to post multiple images into one post on Xbox while it's easily shown on both the Switch and PS5.

---------------------------

I know I might sound nitpicky with this, but I feel sharing functionality is just going to continue to grow and it would be best for Xbox to offer these better features for its players. It makes sense that Sony is in the lead in this category as they're basically the entity that popularized this on all the other platforms, but it's odd for Xbox to be so behind as even the switch is offering a lot of these features in most cases. This doesn't even get into whatever the apps can do (I'm talking strictly from a console-only standpoint) and however the streaming stuff works (as I don't do that).

I think it just makes sense to let your fans share their favorite moments and video game photography with ease. Let us put that share button to even better use.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Not being able to upload in batches and in the background is weird indeed.
Something I do hate currently on the PS5 is the censorship, it doesn't allow profanity at all, not even stuff like "shit".

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
On top of all that, it also says it was sent from "Xbox One Social" even if it was sent from a Series X|S. Not a big deal at all, but funny.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
I find it perfect for screenshot but it is annoying for clips. After a while my one x stopped processing edits and I just gave up

when I take a screenshot and want to share with friends in another chat app, it's very easy to just copy from xbox app.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I absolutely loathe the "screenshot taken" icon on the ps5.

You have to wait until that comes off before taking another screenshot otherwise the icon will appear too!

In terms of recording ps5 is the best by miles.

Screenshots I think the switch one trumps them. Can spam that screenshot button

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I got caught by the delay issue recently too, trying to get a cool screenshot during a cutscene but it captured the next moment instead. Disappointing.

I do like how it automatically uploads seemingly everything though, of the 3 platforms it's the easiest to get my screenshots to PC/phone. But accessing the screenshots on console (defaults to online instead of local), or choosing where they're stored, and the poor length of the video captures... all weird choices on their part.

Oct 28, 2017
I found the screenshot is taken the moment I hit the share button, it's just the confirmation pop up is delayed.

I agree with everything else though, especially image cropping

Mecha

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honduras
I absolutely loathe the "screenshot taken" icon on the ps5.

You have to wait until that comes off before taking another screenshot otherwise the icon will appear too!

In terms of recording ps5 is the best by miles.

Screenshots I think the switch one trumps them. Can spam that screenshot button
Can't you turn off the notification? I remember that was an option on PS4 haven't tried on PS5 yet.

Oct 27, 2017
The whole screen capture / recording has been lacking for a long time. PS4/5 is much better for clips and captures and as an owner of both consoles, it's baffled me since the original One.

Not to mention that they used to have a "clips studio" app that was for editing but hasn't been updated in years if I'm not mistaken.

Last I heard they were saying to "record to external and edit on PC" but for quick shares for socials and friends? Sonys console hasa much smoother and robust user experience.

I expected more from the new console launch but so far I've been disappointed - and they had a while to work on it!

OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I found the screenshot is taken the moment I hit the share button, it's just the confirmation pop up is delayed.

I agree with everything else though, especially image cropping

The delay point I'm unsure about as a whole. It might just be game-specific.
Like I know for certain on Yakuza Kiwami 2 and 7 it 's definitely delayed but other games might not be impacted (even if the notification is)

Typhoon20

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Man I havent been able cut or edit my captures on Xbox. It gets to 70% then after a few minutes up to 10 minutes it gives me an error.

They really need to work a lot on captures.

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Yes plz, I'm out here recording and uploading 60 min videos, at 1080p, AND on HDR on my ps5

But I only get 30 seconds on Series X, but if I want more I get...... 3 minute videos, but at 720 p, oh and at SDR

And no, I shouldn't need a external storage

Why is the discrepancy so far???? Even base ps4 destroys XSX in this regard

Is Xbox incapable of good recording and sharing??

Dr Shasta

Banned
Feb 12, 2019
On PS4 I can take a screenshot and send a PSN message to my friend in 5 seconds.

On Xbox I have to wait like 10 minutes to message it to a friend because it has to upload to Xbox live. Why do they limit the upload speed so much?

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Can't you turn off the notification? I remember that was an option on PS4 haven't tried on PS5 yet.
You could on PS4, but it doesn't seem to be an option on PS5 yet. I also want to disable the stupid "LAN cable connected" prompt every time I turn on the console, but that too, seems to lack a toggle.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I don't share much but I feel like a lot of these issues could be remedies by using the app no?

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
Ps5 seems to take screenshots and videos on its own? Kinda weird
It's the same as before with screenshots, you get a trophy then the system automatically takes a screenshot, but now with PS5 games the system also records a mini-video(15 or 30 Seconds? I don't remember now) of the moment you get the trophy.
I disabled the video recording tho, it's kinda unnecessary wasting storage for this.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
These are all great suggestions. I haven't had screenshot delay be a hindrance but be everything else is def stuff id appreciate added

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
It's the same as before with screenshots, you get a trophy then the system automatically takes a screenshot, but now with PS5 games the system also records a mini-video(15 or 30 Seconds? I don't remember now) of the moment you get the trophy.
I disabled the video recording tho, it's kinda unnecessary wasting storage for this.
Yeah I disabled the recording for trophies as well, seems like too much but it's an option so that's nice. Btw does the timer show up in the video itself when you're recording something? I started recording some gameplay and the timer that showed up above was annoying.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Those are great suggestions. One thing I love that Xbox does rather than Sony, though, is cloud storage for screenshots and recordings. I hate having to export to Twitter / USB on my PS.

Ravenash

Apr 16, 2020
Yes plz, I'm out here recording and uploading 60 min videos, at 1080p, AND on HDR on my ps5

But I only get 30 seconds on Series X, but if I want more I get...... 3 minute videos, but at 720 p, oh and at SDR

And no, I shouldn't need a external storage

Why is the discrepancy so far???? Even base ps4 destroys XSX in this regard

Is Xbox incapable of good recording and sharing??
The thing is, Xbox uploads your clips to the cloud for free, after the clip uploads, you can go to pages like gameclips.io and you can download your clips and screenshots easily to your PC, i think that's the reason "clips" are limited to short durations, and if you want to record more, just connect an external drive and that's all.

Djalminha

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
I never share images outside of Xbox Live which works great but this surprises me since I love Xbox's video editing tool and wish PSX had something similar.

I'm sure these little things will be generally improved over the next few months with both consoles.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I've had so many issues in the past with the trim feature just getting hung and never going anywhere also, it's easier to just use the phone app but then you need to wait for xbox live to upload it which sometimes never seems to pop when a game is active. Playstation side is much easier to work with for sure.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
PS5? Yes
Switch? No, in xbox you can get longer videos and sharing images and videos through the xbox app in your smartphone is really easy. In Switch if you want to pass a batch of images and videos to your phone you have to use a qr code TWICE and then manually download them on your phone.

I would argue that the switch was better than the xbox one to share stuff, but with the release of the series x and the improved mobile app xbox is at second place behind PS

cgpartlow

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
I agree it certainly needs improvement, but about the delay, it actually doesn't have one. The notification is delayed, but it actually takes the screenshot when you open the guide, not when you press the button. That way it makes sure not to miss something between opening the guide and hitting the button.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
100% Xbox is so far behind Playstation on social features. Not being able to upload things to twitter in the background 100% drives me insane.

Jarrod38

Oct 25, 2017
Like I keep saying they just need to bring back Upload Studio but with a major overhaul. It sucks you can no longer string clips together to make montages.

LilScooby77

Dec 11, 2019
100% agree and the one downside I've felt since getting my x. Ps4 is the gold standard everyone should at least follow.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
I never share images outside of Xbox Live which works great but this surprises me since I love Xbox's video editing tool and wish PSX had something similar.

I'm sure these little things will be generally improved over the next few months with both consoles.

Did Sony ditch ShareFactory on PS5? It was a solid video editor on PS4

Nice to hear PS5 is now instant with screenshots, PS4 took a second or two.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
You can upload batches of content to OneDrive, I don't know about Twitter.

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The thing is, Xbox uploads your clips to the cloud for free, after the clip uploads, you can go to pages like gameclips.io and you can download your clips and screenshots easily to your PC, i think that's the reason "clips" are limited to short durations, and if you want to record more, just connect an external drive and that's all.
Why not five the option to record locally on Xbox, like ps5, not in the cloud. Then it should let me record back much longer, and upload from there to YouTube and such. Have the option, that's all

It works too well on Sony's side, that this hurts

OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Can't you use your phone for this? As an alternative solution I mean.

Not home at the moment, but I guess you could technically. The issue though would be you have to upload to Xbox Live first, then go to your phone, and then share it from there to twitter/elsewhere (if that's possible). Which is a bit extra when the issue is internet-speed reasons.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Not home at the moment, but I guess you could technically. The issue though would be you have to upload to Xbox Live first, then go to your phone, and then share it from there to twitter/elsewhere (if that's possible). Which is a bit extra when the issue is internet-speed reasons.
Yeh, as someone new to Xbox, it's certainly one of those things they do a bit odd compared to what I've been used to.