• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
On the PS4 Pro, at least, there's an extra GB of slow Ram specifically to handle the extra load of a higher res UI. The Xbox One X did not have that, and presumably the Series X does not either, so they prefered to save the memory for games. Not sure if the PS5 has a memory pool dedicated to the UI, or if that pool is included in the 16 GB of GDDR6 this time around.

one x has like 12gb ram compared to ps4 pro's measly 8+1ddr3 config.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
1080p UI is honestly fine with me if it means more resources for developers to put into games.

ThatNerdGUI

Prophet of Truth
Mar 19, 2020
I'm not a ML upscaling expert but I wonder if MS would/could use the 1080p assets an just use their DirectML upscaler to increase the dash resolution to 4k. That way the still save space in memory allocation while still providing a crisp UI.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Though I don't see it as a huge deal, this is such a Microsoft thing to do.
They don't care about presentation or the fine details at all.

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
I'm not a ML upscaling expert but I wonder if MS would/could use the 1080p assets an just use their DirectML upscaler to increase the dash resolution to 4k.

actually wonder about this too,
i have 2017 nvidia shield tv that has 1080p ui, and honestly looks bad on 4k.
2019 version i hear is able to do ai upscaling,
wonder how the ui of it compares visually

Oct 25, 2017
in a perfect world, we could have a 20 page thread discussing this "issue" with absolutely no platform/company bias and just discuss why this a thing and the negatives/positives it could bring

but alas, its just console war bullshit, like always.

on topic, kinda annoying, and i dont like the switch ui being 720p either. i had no idea rendering a UI would be resource intensive in the slightest. but 1080p does integer into 4k pretty well, so its ok i guess.

Jan 13, 2020
tenor.gif

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not a ML upscaling expert but I wonder if MS would/could use the 1080p assets an just use their DirectML upscaler to increase the dash resolution to 4k. That way the still save space in memory allocation while still providing a crisp UI.
Most Userinterfaces don't use pixel based images including the font. They are vector based and scale very fine with resolution. I don't think Microsoft is saving any meaningful resources if they would deal with the resolution like Windows does.

RedOnePunch

Oct 26, 2017
Man, John is going to hear it from the crazies.

Tbh the XB1X UI looks fine resolution wise. It's not like the switch where the low resolution (720p) is clearly noticeable. I guess it's just fuel for console wars

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I'm just curious if both systems have the same OS RAM allocation. If PS ends up managing a 4k UI while also having the same OS footprint overall, then it would certainly be worth asking questions as to why that would be, and whether it could be resolved with an update eventually or if it's some obscure UI thing that Xbox does which PS doesn't that I'm just not thinking of.

4:4:4 desktop output to the TV should also make text slightly crisper on HDMI 2.1 displays, no?

It is an odd one because the interface is all drawn in website like way.
There are possible network/bandwidth things to go with it- you are going to want 4X the resolution assets and greater internet bandwidth to go with it.
But it all seems so negligible for such a capable machine. It almost doesn't seem real.

It's especially a surprise as there was code found in the OS that referred to the "4K shell" which I had assumed was the flag to render the dashboard in 4K.

If the PS4 runs the dash in HDR, then it might be limited to 422 as the current consoles are.
I don't know much about what the setup is for resolution/refresh rate, but given how they I think they are handling HDR switching across the system, I suspect it will be locked in at 4K 120hx all the time - with such high bandwidth they may choose to restrict Chroma sub-sampling to decrease the inevitable problems that will occur with users using the wrong/long cables.
That's what I would do if I were them anyway

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
I try to stay outside of the system UI as much as possible. I can see this being annoying for people who use it a lot more.

Edit: Seeing that said resources are being put into what matters... the games... Then yeah, I don't care at all.

Kenzo

alt account
Banned
Oct 9, 2020
Tsushima
This doesn't seem as bad as some are making it out to be. A majority of people don't have TVs that have higher resolutions than 1080p.

Norse

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Norway
I've not noticed that Xbox One UI is only 1080p so I'm not bothered. I only use the UI to launch my games anyway

jem

Oct 25, 2017
This is such a non-issue.

There is absolutely no need to have a 4k dashboard, it's just a waste of resources.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I'm pretty sure the GPU load to AI upscale it would be greater than just rendering it

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
TVs and I'm sure the Xbox hardware itself can scale 1080 images just fine to make a ui look perfectly fine on a 4k display. Big deal about nothing imo.

FarronFox

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I've not noticed that Xbox One UI is only 1080p so I'm not bothered. I only use the UI to launch my games anyway

For those who say they don't notice the blurryness with the one x, I'm wondering if they have a PS4 Pro.

Like you load that up and its all clear and then you go back to one x and its just blurry in comparison. I really had assumed the series x would at least as a bare minimum at least give us the dash in 4k this time even if the UI was still the same as one x.

Had such positive news from Sony and their UI today but seems MS just wants to stay boring and put the same UI on series x and can't even figure out a way to make it clearer like Sony did for PS4 Pro and once again for ps5.

I'm still holding onto the slight hope that they have a pre launch dash and the UI on launch for series x will be in 4k.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
one x has like 12gb ram compared to ps4 pro's measly 8+1ddr3 config.

I know...? Doesn't change the fact that the extra 1 gb of DDR3 is dedicated to UI tasks, which likely includes rendering it at a higher res.

I do wonder if the Xbox UI doesn't just have a higher memory footprint than the PlayStation UI though- it feels more... bulky, if that makes sense.

ravnelis

Prophet of Regret
Jan 1, 2018
I have 0 problem with that. It's fast and sleek, and that's the important bit to me. I'm also all for giving devs more ram to work with.

For people hoping this will be change, it's not uncommon that OS ram usage decreased over time, so maybe MS will be able to up the resolution in the future.

Mxlegend99

May 20, 2018
I have a 75inch screen I sit around 2 metres from and didnt know my One X was only outputting 1080p in the dashboard until now. When I get home I will look closer. Im sure I can notice it now that I know... But it's certainly not an issue for me.

Not sure how it's a bad thing that a gaming machine is trying to minimise resources used on the dashboard to give more resources to gaming.

So long as the dashboard is more responsive with no lag that's the only upgrade I care about in the dash.

Dec 31, 2017
Yeah it is. Like I'm sure they'll fix it, but let's not act like somebody didn't mess up here.
Nobody messed up here, it was 1080p on purpose on Xbox One X and the move to a 4K dashboard apparently required an extra GB of RAM and the decision was made to make that memory available to devs, MS themselves mentioned it back when One X was released and it's most likely the same reason why it'll be 1080p on Series X.

Playboi Carti

Jan 1, 2018
Portugal
How much less could you care? I jest, the whole could care less/couldn't care less is a little bugbear of mine.

I agree, this is a non-issue that seems to be getting way more attention than it should. If it frees up more resources for games then why not have 1080p instead of 4k?
It might be a non-issue for some, but the truth is that the PS4 Pro does 4K UI with zero impact on the resources, what's the excuse for the XSX?

Rogue Kiwi

Chicken Chaser
Banned
May 5, 2019
The time I spend on looking at ui is less than 1 minute each play session vs 2 hours on games. I don't pay attention to it and I didn't notice it was running at 1080p.
I wonder if people are gonna react the same way if one game runs at native 4k on one console and sub 4k on the other lmao

How do you buy games, look at achievements, check what's coming up, look at friends and what they're doing etc?

Some of us use the UI, my point was that if you can't tell the difference, which people are saying they can't, then buy that 4K TV was probably pointless.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
It might be a non-issue for some, but the truth is that the PS4 Pro does 4K UI with zero impact on the resources, what's the excuse for the XSX?

It wasn't zero impact, they added an extra GB of RAM to the system to accommodate it.

MS added more RAM to Xbox One X and gave the extra RAM to developers.

Which one is the better choice?

MrBS

Oct 27, 2017
First thought - no 4K sucks!
Second thought - more ram for games.... yeah I'm okay with this

delete

Jul 4, 2019
If you just bought a 4k tv you would want it to be used to it's full potential, having the UI render at only 1080p for the most powerful console ever is disappointing. Hopefully they will fix it in the future.

Playboi Carti

Jan 1, 2018
Portugal
It wasn't zero impact, they added an extra GB of RAM to the system to accommodate it.

MS added more RAM to Xbox One X and gave the extra RAM to developers.

Which one is the better choice?
It was indeed zero impact because Sony didn't touch the main GDDR RAM pool, they added the extra off SoC DDR RAM to accommodate it and it even ended up freeing more of the main memory to developers. Why didn't MS add an extra off SoC DDR pool to accomodate the 4K UI too?

Grazzt

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
How do you buy games, look at achievements, check what's coming up, look at friends and what they're doing etc?

Some of us use the UI, my point was that if you can't tell the difference, which people are saying they can't, then buy that 4K TV was probably pointless.
I haven't bought any games in ages. When I do I usually use xbox app on my phone, same with downloading game pass games.
The UI is different to games, it's harder to notice the difference. I'd take native 4k games over 4k UI any day.
You probably should care a bit less about how other people spend their money.

Jul 26, 2018
Only thing I can think of that would have this be the case is that they want a unified UI for all of Xbox? One software/firmware?

Status
Not open for further replies.