• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Baked Pigeon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
Hint : people really aren't upset about this, it's just a dogpile attempt to rain negatively on the series x.

The fact this forum decided to shine a light on it the same day they found out the PS5 UI was 4K is all you need to know about the intention.

one x UI has been fine, and this one will be too.

Gashprex

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still not sure I get it - I have xbox one x and PS4 pro hooked up to a 4k 65" and never once have I noticed any difference. I don't think people here claiming "jagged edges" have used a Xbox One X before.

Is there some tangible benefit I'm missing here?

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
User Banned (3 Days): Platform Warring
It's just another knock on an otherwise outdated and lazy dashboard from Microsoft.

they needed to completely do a new and unique dashboard for a new console. Sony completely outdid them after today's showing. The PS5 OS and features are next gen.

Rogue Kiwi

Chicken Chaser
Banned
May 5, 2019
The people saying they don't notice it on their One X are crazy or blind. I have my One X hooked up to a 65" LG Oled and it looks terrible, it's clearly 1080p.

If it's going to make games better, that's fine. But if you don't notice it, you probably shouldn't have spent that much on a tv.

Uhyve

Oct 25, 2017
On a slightly related sidenote, I recently spent a bad amount of money on a 10m fibre optic HDMI cable because the normal HDMI cables I bought wouldn't run at 4k60hz without chroma subsampling.

Which was obviously not a waste of money because UIs should be always be perfectly sharp.

Mike Works

Oct 28, 2017
I'm still not sure I get it - I have xbox one x and PS4 pro hooked up to a 4k 65" and never once have I noticed any difference. I don't think people here claiming "jagged edges" have used a Xbox One X before.

Is there some tangible benefit I'm missing here?
You can't tell the difference between 1080p and 4k?

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, I would assume as I go to insert or retrieve a disc, the lower resolution on my 55 inch will let me see the pixel edges more. I guess we'll see

If standing inches away from your screen is your measure, you're going to see that whether it's 1080p or 4k.. I don't have an 8k set but I don't think it would pass that kinda ridiculous test either.

aspiring

Oct 25, 2017
Console wars gonna console wars.

During this time there will be many things that surfacing that seem trivial but will become things of legend in the name of wins for X or Y.

I hate the fact that this is 1080p and I don't do console wars. And John from DF who was the original sourceI'm sure cannot be accused of console wars. Not liking something or being critical does not equal console wars. You don't mind? Great good on you. But some people want their shiny new $500 toys to be cutting edge. And having it display a 1080p signal in 2021 is not it

what's wrong with reusing the UI? why change something if it works? Folks like you are using ANYTHING to bash the platform.

to me lots of the excitement of next gen is that whole new feeling. Like getting a new car. Everything is new, the controller, the UI everything is fresh and exciting. The bring it home and look exactly the same as what I have now is not exciting and loses some of that new feel. Not everything is "bashing". Sorry I offended your favourite box, and wanting something new

Grazzt

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
The people saying they don't notice it on their One X are crazy or blind. I have my One X hooked up to a 65" LG Oled and it looks terrible, it's clearly 1080p.

If it's going to make games better, that's fine. But if you don't notice it, you probably shouldn't have spent that much on a tv.
Or you probably shouldn't spend that much time staring at the UI.
What a bizzare take. Do you not play non-native 4k games at all?

TaKeRx

Oct 25, 2017

I'm using it at the moment on my C9 65" and I cannot notice any blurriness. Call me crazy I guess...

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
4K woulda been nice, but I'm really struggling to give a fuck.

Lol. Most people used to the XB1 UI were giving no fucks about it's resolution. They needed to refine a lot of it in other areas and thus far they have done exactly that. I doubt regular users are pining for 4K to get to their game tiles.

Spasm

Nov 16, 2017

Just wondering if you have Insider? A few weeks ago I thought the latest Insider builds upped the dashboard res at least above 1080p, but reading this thread I'm guessing that's not really the case. With the changes they've made recently though, it is noticeably sharper and better looking.

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I'm sure once they lower the OS footprint throughout the gen (like they always do) then we'll probably get 4K. I'd rather have the extra 1GB useable for games though if that was the trade-off right now, they made the right choice.

doyneamite

Oct 26, 2018
I genuinely thought the dashboard on One X was 4K - it's really clear for me on my 50" screen.

It's obviously a conscious decision they've made to either 1) Allocate more resources to devs or 2) Allocate resources to Quick Resume.

Obviously would be nice to get the native res but either way, I won't be losing any of sleep over it.

Newlove

Oct 28, 2017
England
Doesn't really bother me as the dashboard always looks quite crisp on my 4k TV. A bit weird but sounds like there's logic for why.

Deleted member 420

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really don't get the whole "720p looks terrible on a 4k screen, but 1080p looks fine". Wouldn't that only be the case if 1080p was being integer scaled?

I definitely think 720p looks worse than 1080p on my 4K TV though, but I just kind of assumed that was because it's a lower resolution.

ChuckXL

Banned
May 3, 2018
Having recently just upgraded my 1080p TV to a 4K set, I can notice a difference between the Xbox One menus, and they look a bit worse now than they did on my old TV. However, I also do not care about this one way or the other. I look at the menus only briefly, and am used to system overlays and whatnot that don't look as good as the actual image.

18 pages though, wow.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They did same thing w/ X1X to save ram. fine by me, would not have even noticed if not told

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I have my 1X hooked up to a 55" 4K TV and, honestly, I've never noticed that it's only 1080p.

...probably because it's the fucking UI, I don't give a shit. If it's too give some extra power to the games then I hope they keep it that way. Is rather have better running games than razor sharp fonts on the UI tbh.

(I also had no idea that my Pro bothered to make the UI 4K as well, seems like a waste of power)

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Reminds me of the Switch which is 720p for some bizarre reason. Not that big of an issue, but kind of odd choice that they didn't at least go for 1440p.

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
Does native resolution matter again?

MS listened to the devs. I am ok with it. I want the games to be the best that they can be.

Deleted member 79058

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 25, 2020
Well... I really don't care, but it's nice to free more RAM to developers. Kinda crappy for those who have a 4K TV, but I'm sure they'll optimize the dashboard in the future (one or two years from now) so it can use less RAM and displays at 4K.

One thing I hope Microsoft do is something to adjust the number of Quick Resume's slots, so we can free some SSD space.

Status
Not open for further replies.