• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
I think the real takeaway here is how many people didn't know their XB1X wasn't even outputting its UI in 4K.

Really makes you wonder just how important 4K is doesn't it?

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
It seems inconsistent with the entire thing's branding, yes. Especially if you're targeting an enthusiast crowd.
I'm an enthusiast and I don't a crap if the UI is 1080p or 4k, as an enthusiast I care about how the games look and run. The dashboard has nothing to say about the power of the console.

Mar 8, 2018
I'm now terrified about what this means for gaming as an art form. What if the 1080p UI on the XSX holds back the generation?

Dreazy

Oct 25, 2018
We went from the Screw Controversy last week, to the Blurry unusable UI Controversy of this week lmao. The Console Warz dont hit the same as they use to.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I think the real takeaway here is how many people didn't know their XB1X wasn't even outputting its UI in 4K.

Upscaling a mostly static UI is much easier than upscaling gameplay at high framerates. One doesn't really say much about the other. I find the 1080p interface on Xbox One X completely fine to use. But I can still tell that the PS4 Pro UI looks clearly sharper. But then I notice the downgrade in text clarity when it switches to YUV 4:2:0 when playing games in HDR.

It's not a big deal to me, but 4K system menus are nicer.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh wow, did not see this one coming. I was 100% sure that XSX will render UI at native 4K without any questions. I mean... for me it's not crucial to have dashboard rendered in 4K but still... this is a weird limitation.

Ryoichi

Sep 24, 2020
Italy
I don't think is a big deal if it's just nice and functional as it seems. If this sacrifice gives more memory to devs then it's more than acceptable, i can stand a 1080p interface behind my game in 4k.

wollywinka

Feb 15, 2018
This is such a nothing burger. 4k UI vs more RAM for games. I bet a lot of the people complaining chose 60fps over resolution in other threads on here

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
We went from the Screw Controversy last week, to the Blurry unusable UI Controversy of this week lmao. The Console Warz dont hit the same as they use to.
Give it a few weeks. Once games are in peoples hands and we can compare something like Dirt 5 or Assassin's Creed Valhalla running on both, people are going to be going crazy with regards to rendering resolutions and load times, etc.

mingo

Oct 25, 2017
London
The amount of xb1x owners that didn't know the xb1x ui is "only" 1080p shows how irrelevant the resolution "war" is.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
It's literally just the Xbox One (X) OS.

And that scares me a lot when it comes to certain apps like the Blu Ray app not having any changes for the brand new system...

The Omega Man

Fallen Guardian
Oct 25, 2017
the Switch's UI is noticeable blurry being 720p but maybe XBOX Series X using 1080p will not be blurry or at least not as noticeable, we will know soon anyways.

Bluelote

Oct 27, 2017
if most people can't notice it and it has some benefit (lower ram usage I guess) I don't see it as a relevant problem, also it should be very easy for them to patch it. meh

Oct 27, 2017

I mean PC users do everything they can to debloat the OS overhead so in a way, it is really important in showing where smart cuts can be made.

Is this why so many people were making noise about how the PS5 UI will look? Is that something some of y'all spend a significant amount of time playing with?

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
It would be nice to have it at 4K, but it's never bothered me much with the One X, so it's not a big deal for me.

Last edited:

MrTutty

Jul 7, 2020
Lol this thread is hilarious. Could anyone actually tell their dash wasn't 4k prior to this?

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, this really isn't a big deal. The more resources that can go to game performance, the better. How long do you sit just blankly staring at the UI? Plus, it's not like 1080p looks bad on a 4K display, unless you're sitting an inch from the screen.

A good compromise would be the UI running at 4K when no games are loaded up, 1080p while games were open.

GrizzleBoy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I didnt care about this fact before this was pointed out, but now I know I can't help but feel cheated.

I demand my ignorance back.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
Who gives a damn if the UI is at 720p, 1080p or higher?
It's not like you sit on the couch staring at the UI for hours.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I find it more amusing how few realised their current UI wasn't 4K. In any case this is certainly strange, especially for a next-gen system, and when you'll be spending a tonne of time in the UI, but I suppose the extra ram for games is more important.

These systems should probably start shipping with a small amount of DDR ram or something to compensate for this issue though.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Give it a few weeks. Once games are in peoples hands and we can compare something like Dirt 5 or Assassin's Creed Valhalla running on both, people are going to be going crazy with regards to rendering resolutions and load times, etc.
I feel like people spend way more time arguing about games than playing them lol.
I find it more amusing how few realised their UI wasn't 4K. In any case this is certainly strange, especially for a next gen system, and when you'll be spending a tonne of time in the UI, but I suppose the extra ram for games is more important.

These systems should probably start shipping with a small amount of DDR ram or something to compensate for this issue though.
Yeah I'm curious to know if Sony did the same thing like that did for the PS4 pro.

Status
Not open for further replies.