• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Man, discourse around the Series X is kinda pathetic. Anyway it's been known since day 1 that the UI is unfinished in these prototype consoles. idk why people have to keep repeating it for you guys. Hopefully the UI will be 4k on release, but this isn't cause for bedwetting.

Oct 27, 2017
I would like a shiny 4k UI, but if it does allow for more resources for games, I'd rather 1080p. I guess we'll see soon enough.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Well, I don't really care too much, my Switch looks good on my 4K TV, but it is a strange decision... hopefully the games run noticeably better on Series X I guess?

HgS

Dec 13, 2019
I'd actually rather the dash have HDR than 4K... Just because I get an annoying transition screen on my LG B6 whenever it switches between HDR and non-HDR.

I do find it disappointing though. Would have been nice to get the dash in 4K HDR. Considering how fast it runs on the One X right now I'd have thought the Series X would be fine.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
I pray that someone will check me if I ever have strong feelings about what resolution my video game console's UI renders at.

It's not the end of the world or a dealbreaker, but surely you can see why it's a small bummer, especially for those of us who dropped thousands on a 4K TV + 4K Consoles.

jesterkap2

Oct 28, 2017
This does feel odd. There's something to be said for a console feeling new and fresh. I've seen the Xbox UI for a long time. Something slightly different might have been appreciated even if it's just 4K.

JoJoBae

Oct 25, 2017
Layton, UT
I honestly couldn't tell the UI wasn't running in 4k on my One S already... The Switch UI it isn't.

Also if it frees up more resources for devs and for the UI itself then that's fine by me. Try to do anything meaningful on your PS4 Pro while you have a Pro enhanced game running in the background. Shit grinds to a halt. I doubt PS5 will have that issue, at least not for years, but still.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Seriously? The resolution of the UI is something you were looking forward to?

Yes. Why are people being so obnoxious toward those who care about this? I've seen how much better the PS4 Pro dashboard looks in 4K, so was looking forward to the Series X dashboard looking much more crisp too. What is wrong with that?

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Yes. Why are people being so obnoxious toward those who care about this? I've seen how much better the PS4 Pro dashboard looks in 4K, so was looking forward to the Series X dashboard looking much more crisp too. What is wrong with that?
Right? It's something you're going to see quite a bit. Higher resolution looks better, especially on a large screen. I prefer higher resolution because of that.

Yes

Oct 28, 2017
I remember reading from this very site that 4K is a waste. Now this thread is telling me 4K is a must. So the current meta is "4K UI with 1080p120" games?

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
I remember reading from this very site that 4K is a waste. Now this thread is telling me 4K is a must. So the current meta is "4K UI with 1080p120" games?
For games and the user interface in particular it's a bit different. If the game itself isn't native 4K you can actually use techniques like checkboarding or temporal injection to make it look more native 4K to the user. For interfaces though if an icon or text isn't rendered at 4K it's quite obvious.

Acquiesc3

Oct 30, 2017
I play on a 4K OLED, there is nothing blurry on the Ui, it is quite simplistic in nature and looks perfect the way it is. I bet you didn't even notice until you were told it was 1080p.

As for Series X, considering g they are saving 1GB just like they were on the One X by keeping it 1080p then I'm all for it. Wonder if that means PS5 has less usable ram for games because of it?

You're wrong. Just looking at the upper left text there is a HUGE difference in crispness between ps4 pro and Xbox one X. Same for all the game tile images and other text.

No one had to tell me. It was the first thing I noticed after booting it up. Seeing how crisp it was going from base ps4 to ps4 pro was also the first thing I noticed.

Mar 8, 2018
Honestly, I would like a 4k UI, but I truly did not notice that my One X's UI wasn't 4k. I just kind of assumed it was? I think it comes off a little differently when the UI is based around clean lines and flat colors. Still, it would be nice to have everything be that much crisper. I do sit about 12 feet away from a 50-inch display though.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa

score01

Oct 27, 2017
That's definitely weird if true. You'd expect it it to be pretty normal for a 4K device to be outputting its UI in 4K in this day and age.

Could this be something to do with using the slower pool of RAM for the OS?

Creatchee

Oct 26, 2017
Sarasota, Florida
tenor.gif

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
It's not the end of the world or a dealbreaker, but surely you can see why it's a small bummer, especially for those of us who dropped thousands on a 4K TV + 4K Consoles.
Agree. It is not a deal breaker. Of course I would love it to be 4k or heck even 1440p, but if it means they allocated more memory to games then I am fine with that. I believe going by memory the same thing happened with the Xbox One X. When it was originally talked about, they had allocated 8gb to games 4gb to UI/Dashboard. But devs wanted more memory for games and they took the dash down to 3gb and games to 9gb.

Not a deal breaker, but which they made these machines with 20gb of RAM...but it is what it is. Perhaps they can continue to compress stuff to make it 4k in the future and still allocate more to games.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
have you seen the Xbox UI on a 4k screen?
If you're talking about the One X, then yes. I sit about 2' from my 43" 4K, so I notice the difference in detail/resolution compared to the PS4 Pro. It doesn't necessarily bother me, but it does make me scratch my head a little bit. All I'll say is that I hope the XSX UI is snappy.

Deleted member 13077

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No point paying the extra for the Series X then compared to the Series S if it's all 1080p anyway.

This is clearly means as a joke, try to avoid losing your shit.

Smemma

Jul 10, 2020
This will obviously bother a literal pixel counter but honestly, I sit exceptionally close to my 4K screen and have never thought the One X UI looked anything but sharp.

supercommodore

Prophet of Truth
Apr 13, 2020
UK
If you're talking about the One X, then yes. I sit about 2' from my 43" 4K, so I notice the difference in detail/resolution compared to the PS4 Pro. It doesn't necessarily bother me, but it does make me scratch my head a little bit. All I'll say is that I hope the XSX UI is snappy.

You really sit two feet away from a 43 inch TV/monitor? I can't see how that would be comfortable.

Zyae

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Mar 17, 2020
For games and the user interface in particular it's a bit different. If the game itself isn't native 4K you can actually use techniques like checkboarding or temporal injection to make it look more native 4K to the user. For interfaces though if an icon or text isn't rendered at 4K it's quite obvious.

No it isnt because the TV is upscaling to 4K anyway. And you see interface icons about 1% of the time you see games actually running.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Something new everyday:
On Today's menu: Quick resume is not needed, we need 4k UI (even though no one complained about it)
On today's menu Whine whine whine that microsoft gets criticized but if sony gets critized that's ok and they deserve it. this is not a big deal that it's not in 4k but it would have been nice for the ones who want it. It's not important that the ps4/5 ui is in 4k and this will probably change for the series x in time if it doesn't at launch.

MekaMachine

Banned
Sep 17, 2020
Man, discourse around the Series X is kinda pathetic. Anyway it's been known since day 1 that the UI is unfinished in these prototype consoles. idk why people have to keep repeating it for you guys. Hopefully the UI will be 4k on release, but this isn't cause for bedwetting.

The evolution of people who are in denial that the UI is in 1080p, only to then turn into the "this doesn't matter at all" people once they read that it's a fact, is super interesting.

Aggie CMD

Dec 8, 2017
Gamers: 1080p is good enough for my games but my dashboard must be in 4K.

Personally, I think this is a non-issue. Everything in console design is a trade-off and dashboard resolution is way way way down the priority list.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Some users say the 1080p UI is sharp at 4K, and others say it's a blurry mess.

Keep in mind that different TVs can upscale 1080p to 4K very differently. Some will do a pure 1:4 pixel mapping, which will result in a sharp 1080p image. Others do a much blurrier upscaling with filtering, which will result in a much softer image.

sbenji

Jul 25, 2019
Oh the humanity. — not sure I will really notice assuming the ui is largely blocky and does not include many graphical flourishes. Scaling a ui so it looks good is not a hard challenge.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC

I literally don't get why it would be frustrating, lol.

This is one of those "Who cares?" things for me. The UI being 720p/1080p/1440p/4k has zero affect on me and any "frustration" on any console.

I had no idea the One X UI is 1080p upscaled.

Why is the UI resolution "frustrating"? I might would get it it it were 480p-720p on a 4k screen, I'd guess that's pretty noticeable, but I doubt I'd care if it's scaled well.

Status
Not open for further replies.