• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Joo

May 25, 2018
They are providing developers an additional GB for use in games.
If it means an extra 1GB or 0.5GB RAM for developers to use for gaming I'd take the 1080p UI over 4k any day.
It's perfectly acceptable and actually a good thing in my book if this is the case, but as of now we have zero reliable sources to corroborate this.

We have no idea how much this would free up resources, or how much RAM the UI even takes right now compared to PS5.

LanceX2

Oct 25, 2017
This one is kind of weird. If you're playing on a 4K TV it makes sense. 720p scales into 4K perfectly so it's a good safe resolution to pick that matches with the switch's native screen. It's just scaling to 1080p sucks.

At least in this case, 1080p also upscales into 4K no problem, so you're not sacrificing much.

They care because it's something to add to their console-war arsenal. When the bullet point comparison lists start coming out, expect this to be right on there (if it's not changed by launch).

Man It looks great as is. I want as much power to games as possible. UI is for me to find games

Gassy_N0va

Oct 27, 2017
They care because it's something to add to their console-war arsenal. When the bullet point comparison lists start coming out, expect this to be right on there (if it's not changed by launch).

LMAO I was just going to say how I can wait to see an XSX Pros/Cons list with a "CON - 1080P UI" bulletpoint.

baconcow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Again, I don't know where this 1GB number is coming from. Certainly they are reducing the memory footprint by having the max resolution set to 1080p but we don't know exactly what savings that translates to.

We do know from Microsoft's detailed specifications earlier this year that 2.5GB is dedicated to OS functions (including the dashboard UI) but we don't yet know how much RAM PS5 has dedicated towards their OS. If it turns out that developers only have 12.5GB usable RAM for games on PS5 (implying the OS eats up 3.5GB), then we'll have something to talk about.

It's perfectly acceptable and actually a good thing in my book if this is the case, but as of now we have zero reliable sources to corroborate this.

We have no idea how much this would free up resources, or how much RAM the UI even takes right now compared to PS5.

Yeah. I just quickly read it in the OP and assumed it was legit.

Searsy82

May 13, 2019
Oh no, the heat stuff turned out to be completely false, what can be be concerned about now?!?!

THE UI RESOLUTION

jsnepo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If having a 1080p UI frees up mpre RAM for games then so be it. The expectation though is when compared to PS5, that extra RAM should be a huge differentiator to graphics or performance.

dyelawn91

Jan 16, 2018
I genuinely don't understand why anyone would care about this. As long as the UI is snappy and gets you booted into a game/multimedia app quickly, who gives a shit what resolution the UI runs at?

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
man, this gotta be one of those huge "get a grip" moments

The menu is 1080P, get a fucking grip? lol who the hell is this hurting?

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
Not a big deal, but a confusing situation.

No way a 4K UI uses an extra GB of Ram right?

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Feathers are ruffled ITT.

It's possible to enjoy something and be disappointed about an aspect at the same time.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
To be honest I get the complaints. Switch UI was something complained about for ages, and it is noticeable, but you get used to it. And it's better to have more RAM for games than the UI.

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
This clearly demonstrates that you don't work in software development.
Not specifically software development in particular, but I do have over 10 years experience building user interfaces.

"UI elements may change" is a very vague statement that could mean a lot of things. It doesn't suggest the interface will be 4K at launch which is all I said.

It's entirely possible the Xbox UI hasn't even been designed to scale beyond 1080p to save on asset resource size, but I doubt that'll be the case due to future proofing. Depends if they intend to redesign it again once they phase out the Xbox One.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
I just cant see the problem to be honest . Now if they cant add dynamic themes or ui is still slow we bave have a issue . 1080p ui is the last thing I care about

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I genuinely don't understand why anyone would care about this. As long as the UI is snappy and gets you booted into a game/multimedia app quickly, who gives a shit what resolution the UI runs at?
When everything else I use is 4K+ and increasingly more stuff will be, it sticks out. People buy expensive TVs and want their peripherals to best take advantage of it. Cool if you don't care but easy to see why people would and if you don't care now, you may feel differently in a few years.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Where's the source for the UI/dash using an extra GB of RAM when in 4K? Just curious.

Jul 10, 2020
Not specifically software development in particular, but I do have over 10 years experience building user interfaces.

"UI elements may change" is a very vague statement that could mean a lot of things. It doesn't suggest the interface will be 4K at launch.
Right but it doesn't mean that it WONT receive a rez bump.

All we have to do is wait.

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
What the hell, so the system reservation is 1.5GB now? Can someone link the source for this 1GB freed by being 1080p?

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Is that only while a game is playing in the background? Seems weird to not just have it downscale while a game is playing.

dyelawn91

Jan 16, 2018
When everything else I use is 4K+ and increasingly more stuff will be, it sticks out. People buy expensive TVs and want their peripherals to best take advantage of it. Cool if you don't care but easy to see why people would and if you don't care now, you may feel differently in a few years.
I pray that someone will check me if I ever have strong feelings about what resolution my video game console's UI renders at.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
Hmmm... this is a tough one for me. The UI not being 4K is kind of a bummer, but on the other hand if devs get an additional GB of ram for games as a result then its kind of ok...? I feel torn haha. Definitely not the end of the world though.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
they wouldn't prioritize 120hz over 4k for something like UI, it would have very little benefit.

I'm sure they'll have it set to 4k by the time launch comes by. Don't see a reason why they wouldn't.

I was joking, though a UI running at 120hz is probably nice.

Hmmm... this is a tough one for me. The UI not being 4K is kind of a bummer, but on the other hand if devs get an additional GB of ram for games as a result then its kind of ok...? I feel torn haha. Definitely not the end of the world though.

Is that known that it would save that much? Because I'll always go for the 1440p UI in that case.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
If the other choice is depriving devs of 1 whole GB of RAM (that's way more than I thought!) I'll take 1080p 7 days a week and this is not a hill worth dying on.

One question comes to mind. Does the interface use the uber-fast 560GBps ram or the slower ram? Being "just" an interface, I would hope the latter would be more than enough. Do we know if that is the case?

Status
Not open for further replies.