• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
I'm hoping to see some Forza and Hellblade 2 actual gameplay before XSX launch even it's just a few seconds of each.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
I swear I'll never understand this concern. Oh well.
Personally I think most of the concern are from those who will be the hardest to sell to. Namely Playstation owners who rightfully so are not convinced Microsoft has the software to sway them over. Of course some of that concern gets overblown because like I say, they will be the hardest to sell to, but the reality is Microsoft has done a shit job convincing anyone (including current Xbox owners) what Series X can actually do with next gen games and how the hardware is able to offer incetives to upgrade and a lot of that stems from a lack of new software.

At the very least they should have the new Assassins Creed running on current hardware and show what Series S and X can do with it, not older titles. There is also a lack of new games Microsoft has confirmed to be launching with the new systems other than multiplat titles. It really is a mess of crossgen confusion, lack of 1st party and games running on the new hardware with new games.

infinityBCRT

Nov 1, 2017
They absolutely need to do a "Inside Series X" video like they did for Series S.
It's a shame that the Inside Series S video was released like that in between the X price announcement and the EA Play announcement. I almost skipped watching the video. I think had there been a proper Series S event, people would be even more excited about the Series S after seeing that video, as they clearly explain the box was built to be extremely straightforward for devs to downport 4K games to 1440p, and even show a bunch of game footage.

KillaKap

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Judging by the polls on this site many people won't ever purchase an Xbox console. I wonder why so much concern for it then?

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
We have seen about as much PS5 gameplay as well. This isnt only a Microsoft issue.
We have also seen every other aspect now, launch prices, complete specs, internal configurations.

I'm shocked there is not the same concern about Sony, shocked!

edit: forgot about backwards compatibility

Last edited:
May 12, 2020
They don't play any role for the brunt of people buying new consoles, show them CoD or any sports games and they're in. Spiderman is hardly a heavy hitter like GOW or Uncharted. Mario is a heavy hitter. Halo as long long lost that kind of strength.

How is Spiderman not a heavy hitter? It is the best selling PS exclusive, 13 million as of August 2019.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
They do, but just think about how much stranger the situation would be if Sony hadn't shown any footage running on PS5 either. We would be totally in the dark. Now there's at least a good comparison point to set some expectations, but it's still very weird that there isn't any kind of footage available and of course XSX=/=PS5. It has to have something to do with dev kits being late etc, as there's no way that MS would think that this is the best way to entice people to get XSX.

If you buy a new phone, are the specs only enough to make the purchase decision if you can't see how it runs?
We have seen Ratchet and Clank from Sony and Halo from Microsoft. We know more from Microsoft as a whole, than we know from Sony when it comes to hardware or pricing.

As to third party games, anything you see on the PS5, just know that there is room for improvement on the XSX.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
All I know is Ass Creed cannot be the showcase because that isn't saying anything. Ubisoft has refused to make Ass Creed a looker in any sense and it makes no sense. So hopefully they show something third party that looks amazing
I personally think it's a great example. It's the same engine as before but in native 4k/60 fps, something they haven't achieved alll generation.

HouseAR

May 17, 2020
That's why I am not buy Xbox X: lack of 1st party exclusive titles. I was hoping for Halo, but we all know what happened.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
Eh, the launch of both consoles is so light on games there's not much "gameplay" missing tbh. It's not like games are going to look markedly different from current PC stuff.

Benchmark and performance is something that's better measured and seen when these consoles are acutally out and in reviewers hands. A few pretty trailers don't give much information in that regards.

Especially since companies have become very creative with how they label their "in engine, totally caputred on real hardware near final" trailers.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Eh, the launch of both consoles is so light on games there's not much "gameplay" missing tbh.

Benchmark and performance is something that's better measured and seen when these consoles are acutally out and in reviewers hands. A few pretty trailers don't give much information in that regards.

Especially since companies have become very creative with how they label their "in engine, totally caputred on real hardware near final" trailers.
I loved the Cold War multiplayer reveal yesterday being "captured on PS5" and it was all cinematically touched up looks at the multiplayer maps. I watched the Digital Foundry PC Max Settings multiplayer video (with REAL gameplay) that dropped right after that and thought to myself "yeah that PS5 footage is BS."

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
OP, we've seen Halo Infinity running on the Xbox series X ;)

giphy.gif

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
Except they have, have you been living under a rock?
oHkIUae.jpg

puB2Swz.jpeg

It's a genuine concern that they haven't shown real Series X footage. They're expecting people to preorder and spend $499, yet we haven't even see how games run on it yet.
Yeah, it's puzzling, seems clear enough that everything in the showcase was straight out of PS5.

Mik317

Oct 25, 2017
both consoles have to do a better job...or fucking anything to sell people on why they should buy them.

So far all it has been is "your current games will look a bit better and load faster...maybe". Which is nice but not exactly why I buy consoles yknow? I mean I am still on the old PS4 and Xbone ffs. Where the games at?

Oct 25, 2017
I personally think it's a great example. It's the same engine as before but in native 4k/60 fps, something they haven't achieved alll generation.

Having a higher resolution and frame rate doesn't make the game "look" good. It still looks like its a generation behind. All that PC footage did it no favors, and I doubt it will look better at it's final. Assassin Creed has yet to look anything close to an Uncharted or GOW and I'm over it. They need to do better.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, it's puzzling, seems clear enough that everything in the showcase was straight out of PS5.

Yeah, Sony would never exagerate trailers ahead of a console release.

Not saying this will be the case with ratchet but there's really no point in being too sure of how these games will look (and especially perform) ahead of release.

May 17, 2018
This is the part that blew my mind about everything that happened the last two days.

So many "great value!" comments for a thing that we haven't even seen in action. Shit is wild.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017

also 7 of the top ten games sold on PS are 1st party. 1st party is a core competency for sony.

When it's actual gameplay (like ratchet and clank) it's not BS. When it's a carefully cut trailer that shows "gameplay," it's marketing BS.
still not marketing BS lol. marketing BS is like what happend with watch dogs, or showing All CG - pre-rendered Trailers.

Trailers that show cinematic cuts of gameplay, or in game real time rendered scenes is far more Representative of the final product.

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
I'm going to step back and eat my popcorn now.

20a72486c02677e1c107409e6cebdd76.gif

HeWhoWalks

Jan 17, 2018
When it's actual gameplay (like ratchet and clank) it's not BS. When it's a carefully cut trailer that shows "gameplay," it's marketing BS.
They said RUNNING on a PS5. No, that isn't marketing BS. BS implies lying. If you can display how they lied, I'll give this claim more weight.

Otherwise, I'll stick to the topic. I'm an interested Xbox Series X buyer. I've yet to see a real next gen showcase running on it. So, I understand the concern.

Rust

Jan 24, 2018
I don't understand, wasn't Gears 5 and Minecraft running on the Xbox Series X five months ago?

Watership

Oct 27, 2017
We had games running on the S shown yesterday. Do you really think they don't have things running on the X?

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
No, it isn't marketing bullshit.

To me it is, because they are saying 'hey look at this, this is the real deal'. And then when the game comes out and you can see a bunch of corners they had to cut to get it actually run on the real hardware I have in my living room.

Im not saying they are lying. Im saying it doesnt mean anything. Just like not seeing a game saying 'Running on Xbox Hardware' means anything.

Deleted member 56752

Banned
May 15, 2019
Having a higher resolution and frame rate doesn't make the game "look" good. It still looks like its a generation behind. All that PC footage did it no favors, and I doubt it will look better at it's final. Assassin Creed has yet to look anything close to an Uncharted or GOW and I'm over it. They need to do better.
You are going to be incredibly disappointed when it comes to visuals this generation. It's about performance this gen - probably for the first time ever

rebelcrusader

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All I know is Ass Creed cannot be the showcase because that isn't saying anything. Ubisoft has refused to make Ass Creed a looker in any sense and it makes no sense. So hopefully they show something third party that looks amazing

what

Since Origin ass creed has been one of the most impressive graphical examples that exists

It literally has one of the best postprocessing pipelines in gaming

HeWhoWalks

Jan 17, 2018
To me it is, because they are saying 'hey look at this, this is the real deal'. And then when the game comes out and you can see a bunch of corners they had to cut to get it actually run on the real hardware I have in my living room.

Im not saying they are lying. Im saying it doesnt mean anything. Just like not seeing a game saying 'Running on Xbox Hardware' means anything.
It means plenty. Adjustments to the art and production are inevitable, and unless a game looks completely different (which is rare and not something particularly from Sony) then it wasn't 'marketing BS'.

Moving away from the deflection, a lot of us want to see a true next gen showcase on the Series X. Not an unreasonable request.

Oct 25, 2017
You are going to be incredibly disappointed when it comes to visuals this generation. It's about performance this gen - probably for the first time ever
what

Since Origin ass creed has been one of the most impressive graphical examples that exists

It literally has one of the best postprocessing pipelines in gaming

I beg to differ. There has been better games imo. Assassin Creed just can't seem to get rid of its "jank".

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I beg to differ. There has been better games imo. Assassin Creed just can't seem to get rid of its "jank".
I don't know, both Origins and Odyssey played great for me on my PS4 (Origins) and my One X (Odyssey). I think they are very impressive games, technically. I liked RDR2 more though, and think they are way too bloated and boring.

Joo

May 25, 2018
We have seen Ratchet and Clank from Sony and Halo from Microsoft. We know more from Microsoft as a whole, than we know from Sony when it comes to hardware or pricing.

As to third party games, anything you see on the PS5, just know that there is room for improvement on the XSX.
Halo was running on PC. Why didn't they show it on XSX? Sony has shown several games with gameplay snippets running on PS5, just with cinematic camera for trailer purposes. They've also shown Godfall and cinematics. This isn't about pricing or specs, but just about showing how the games look on the console.

You instantly jump to some comparison about how everyone can expect XSX games to just look a bit better than PS5, but this just isn't the point here. All I'm saying is that it's very strange that we haven't seen any gameplay, and there is definitely some reason for it.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know, both Origins and Odyssey played great for me on my PS4 (Origins) and my One X (Odyssey). I think they are very impressive games, technically. I liked RDR2 more though, and think they are way too bloated and boring.

I would love if Assassin Creed looked an ounce like RDR2, then it would be a showcase, but its like once you get passed the cut scenes...its just ugly ish. I have Odyssey on PS4 Pro and my BF has it on his Xbox One X and on both , it just disappointed. Maybe its because its very arcadey in the way it plays but there something about it that still looks rough and it's likely to never change since they prioritize how big the world is rather than making every aspect of the game polished. idk...that's just how i see it.

I mean, every game has its jank. It's like watching a live show and saying "cringe". Yeah - every one has cringe moments.

Sure but some games just look and feel better despite that, and AC just hasn't hit it on the head yet. It doesn't look like a game like Control or even Hellblade. It's always a step or two behind in visuals and how it plays.

Deleted member 56752

Banned
May 15, 2019
I would love if Assassin Creed looked an ounce like RDR2, then it would be a showcase, but its like once you get passed the cut scenes...its just ugly ish. I have Odyssey on PS4 Pro and my BF has it on his Xbox One X and on both , it just disappointed. Maybe its because its very arcadey in the way it plays but there something about it that still looks rough and it's likely to never change since they prioritize how big the world is rather than making every aspect of the game polished. idk...that's just how i see it.

Sure but some games just look and feel better despite that, and AC just hasn't hit it on the head yet. It doesn't look like a game like Control or even Hellblade. It's always a step or two behind in visuals and how it plays.
A step down is still better than 90% of other games

guitarguy316

Nov 3, 2017
If the games are running on X-Series X how hard is it to hit record and show us them? Sony already has shown us gameplay running on the PS5 with Godfall, Ratchet and Clank, Call of Duty, Gran Turismo 7. I only saw one cross-gen indie game that was running on x-series x that showed off gameplay.

I think it was a mistake to show high end PC footage of Halo Infinite gameplay at an Xbox Showcase Event we wanted to see it running on the X-Series X it wasn't a PC show.

I really still can't believe they're worried about a major Electronics/PC maker (Microsoft) being able to have the system fully functioning and running without showing you a "gameplay" video. This is 100% not an issue and I don't know why people make this to be a big deal.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
This. Absolutely this. And yet we do not see the same volume of constant concern threads each and every freakin day or two.

I wouldn't say it is just how much as been shown, but what has been shown. But even then, MS hasn't shown much at all running on XSX. All the stuff at the PS5 meeting aside from gtav was on PS5. and there was lots of gameplay snippets shown, just little extended gameplay. The only one in that regard of note we have seen is R&C, which looks pretty darn impressive. Now if Sony doesn't show much more actual gameplay at the next PS5 event, I think they will rightfully be open to a great deal of criticism.

indosmoke

Oct 30, 2017
France
Personally I think most of the concern are from those who will be the hardest to sell to. Namely Playstation owners who rightfully so are not convinced Microsoft has the software to sway them over. Of course some of that concern gets overblown because like I say, they will be the hardest to sell to, but the reality is Microsoft has done a shit job convincing anyone (including current Xbox owners) what Series X can actually do with next gen games and how the hardware is able to offer incetives to upgrade and a lot of that stems from a lack of new software.

At the very least they should have the new Assassins Creed running on current hardware and show what Series S and X can do with it, not older titles. There is also a lack of new games Microsoft has confirmed to be launching with the new systems other than multiplat titles. It really is a mess of crossgen confusion, lack of 1st party and games running on the new hardware with new games.

I agree 100% with all of this.*

But in my original message I should have emphasized "concern"; I fully agree things should have been more transparent, I think it's fair MS are being called out for this, I agree the crossgen confusion doesn't help... I just don't understand how it's concerning (in the sense thread-worthy, or even bulletpoint-worthy in list wars between PS5 and Xbox).

But to each his own, that's perfectly fine. Maybe I'm just not easily concerned in general, I don't know.

edit:
reading your message again, I still agree with you except the "MS has done a shit job *convincing* anyone what XSX can do".
They've done a shit job *showing* it, yes, but as far as I'm concerned I'm pretty much convinced. They explained it, extensively, they have the best hardware on paper, they have the track record (can't remember any recent claim/showing/bragging from MS that was eventually proven wrong, hardware/performance wise I mean). So I'm not worried. I'd say I'm the opposite of concerned haha

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.