• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
dc8bb0b8-a6e4-4fd2-b769-a4ae303eef74.jpg

Whew. Where to start, huh? The console was formally unveiled in a press conference up in Redmond on this very date.

It was here that we got to see the console's social capabilities, Turn 10 announcing Forza Motorsport 5 as a launch title, some third-party stuff and specs.

Naturally, many weren't too pleased to hear about MS doubling down on Kinect or the emphasis placed on the console's media capabilities outside of games, but putting that all aside, it's had a pretty decent gen so far. Between the amazing backwards compatibility initiative with the 360 and the oXbox, the Xbox One X pulling off some miracles (RDR2 at that native 4k thoo), Game Pass and some really great games like Rare Replay, Master Chief Collection, Horizon 3 and 4, D4, Cuphead, Gears 4 and Sunset Overdrive, Xbox fans have been eating good.

Feel free to share your favourite memories with the console, or why you haven't joined the cult of Phil yet.
(i'm personally waiting for next gen if MS really bring the heat)

2528873-2569529942-FFPmn.gif

Last edited:

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I still prefer the short version filled with only television, TV, sports, and Call of Duty mentions. What a hot mess this reveal was.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Despite all the issues and salt produced by the console, it took the 1X to really show off what MS plans for the console future. Great hardware, great games and great services.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They did a good job of losing me as a customer.
I doubt I could have transferred my account to an Xbox One anyway because my sign-up e-mail was dead and my password had been lost for at least five years.

Arc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They might have turned around the console strategy but this event put the XB1 in a hole it never got out of. The focus on media instead of games is still evident today with Microsoft's lackluster 1st party.

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England
dc8bb0b8-a6e4-4fd2-b769-a4ae303eef74.jpg

Whew. Where to start, huh? The console was formally unveiled in a press conference up in Redmond on this very date.

It was here that we got to see the console's social capabilities, Turn 10 announcing Forza Motorsport 5 as a launch title, some third-party stuff and specs.

Naturally, many weren't too pleased to hear about MS doubling down on Kinect or the emphasis placed on the console's media capabilities outside of games, but putting that all aside, it's had a pretty decent gen so far. Between the amazing backwards compatibility initiative with the 360 and the oXbox, the Xbox One X pulling off some miracles (RDR2 at that native 4k thoo), Game Pass and some really great games like Rare Replay, Master Chief Collection, Horizon 3 and 4, D4, Cuphead, Gears 4 and Sunset Overdrive, Xbox fans have been eating good.

Feel free to share your favourite memories with the console, or why you haven't joined the cult of Phil yet.
(i'm personally waiting for next gen if MS really bring the heat)

2528873-2569529942-FFPmn.gif

A pretty decent gen?

Sales are so disappointing that they don't reveal them anymore and first party games aren't close to the level of Nintendo or Sony.

They've lost an absolute ton of ground in what they made up last gen.

Gowans

Oct 27, 2017
North East, UK
Despite all the issues and salt produced by the console, it took the 1X to really show off what MS plans for the console future. Great hardware, great games and great services.

Yeah the launch was a shit show but they have really scrapped this gen, the X is my favourite console ever and the moves they have made under Phil with cross play, Play Anywhere and Game Pass have been amazing for their customers.

Herey

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 10, 2019
I love shitty console gimmicks so the reveal wasn't a complete trash fire for me.

I wish someone told me back then that the snap feature wasn't cool and was going to be removed because it was terrible.
Can't complain too much, my Xbone has served me well.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Whatever happened to that live action halo tv series? And does xbox work with tv like they said it would? Never seen anyone talk about those features
Halo tv show was planned for 2015 with Halo 5. Didnt work out. So it went abit silent until the next Halo game wich is probably next year.
The tv show goes shooting end of this year and its 10 episodes on Showtime. Schreiber just was casted for Chief.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/pablo-schrieber-cast-as-master-chief-for-halo-tv-series.112084/

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
They went from this to collaborating with Nintendo and Sony before the end of the gen. Probably the best worst case scenario for Microsoft with this reveal. It's made them better... Or at least try pretty hard.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
They went from this to collaborating with Nintendo and Sony before the end of the gen. Probably the best worst case scenario for Microsoft with this reveal. It's made them better... Or at least try pretty hard.
Third console curse really. Needed to happen to make them stronger.

SmashN'Grab

Oct 27, 2017
I love shitty console gimmicks so the reveal wasn't a complete trash fire for me.

I wish someone told me back then that the snap feature wasn't cool and was going to be removed because it was terrible.
Can't complain too much, my Xbone has served me well.
Snap would have been so much cooler if it was true picture-in-picture rather than shrinking down your game screen and putting a big black bar on the right hand side to place the tv feed. Why did it have to be done that way I wonder?

Anyway, the reveal was a shitshow. Somehow worse and ultimately more damaging than the $599 PS3 reveal. The third console curse is definitely real (N64 cartridge fuckup, Saturn 'available now' farce). The next Xbox could be either a PS4 style smash hit, or a Dreamcast style 'fuck this, we're leaving' failure. Let's find out...

oRuin

Oct 25, 2017
Wow 6 years. How time flies!
Was an absolute shit-show and really killed what MS had going on. Such a shame.

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017
I was all 360 the gen before, Was hoping to stay with Xbox but they made it impossible so i switched to PS4 and haven't looked back since, And PSVR was worth it alone.

If Xbox ever enter VR i'll consider getting it as i still have the account anyway.

Deleted member 19924

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm surprised it passed 20m units, if you told me at the time this console was going to bomb like the Wii U or Dreamcast I would have believed you.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
One of the worst launches in regards to "Why the fuck is this happening?" since the Sega Saturn.

Amazing comeback though, XBox One X is fantastic and the B/C has been astonishing.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The initial concept was flawed but it had a lot of implications that eventually became reality. While it had and has a first party issue, it remains a spectacular console, even more so with the X "edition". Backwards compatibility, Game Pass, EA Access, LFG, etc. are major game changers for us Xbox One owners who stuck around, making the ride a very pleasant one. I don't feel like this generation was much weaker for Microsoft than the 360 one: sure, the first party output was smaller and less impressive, but the third parties' and services' strength made up for it personally.

Herey

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 10, 2019
Snap would have been so much cooler if it was true picture-in-picture rather than shrinking down your game screen and putting a big black bar on the right hand side to place the tv feed. Why did it have to be done that way I wonder?

Anyway, the reveal was a shitshow. Somehow worse and ultimately more damaging than the $599 PS3 reveal. The third console curse is definitely real (N64 cartridge fuckup, Saturn 'available now' farce). The next Xbox could be either a PS4 style smash hit, or a Dreamcast style 'fuck this, we're leaving' failure. Let's find out...
Completely agree, that's what I wanted. For all the TVTVTV shite snap could've been genuinely useful for me.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Still can't believe I'll never own an Xbox One despite owning all previous consoles.

Got a lot to prove next gen.

Oct 29, 2017
The reveal ensured I was switching from Xbox to PlayStation this gen, and I can't really see myself going back. The PS4 has been incredible.

SmashN'Grab

Oct 27, 2017
They pretty much had me as a captive customer because I had invested quite a lot during the 360 generation in XBLA titles and then from about 2011 onwards I started buying retail games through the Games On Demand service. By 2013 I had moved almost all of my disc-based 360 games over to digital and had placed a lot of value in my microsoft account. I know a lot of people hadn't yet made the move to digital in 2013 so it was a lot easier for them to jump from 360 to PS4.

As a result I kinda felt that I had to go along with the Xbox One as my main console and just kinda hoped it would pan out. I was really pissed off at the lack of BC at the time. I felt like it was as if all your Steam games became useless once you upgraded your PC. Luckily they turned it around pretty spectacularly. Nowadays I spend nearly as much time playing 360 games on my One X as I do new titles. The 4K upgrades are amazing. And to think, none of it would have happened if the console had been a big success.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The Xbox one still ended up being a miracle.
The console literally did a 180 halfway through this generation.

If the console is estimated around 45 million units sold, it should have been half of that to be honest.

Next Gen will definitely be interesting.
I see Xbox one like the Wii U.

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
We can look at this as a strategic plan by Phil Spencer to get rid of the dead weight and become a powerhouse this generation right?

Oct 27, 2017
The Xbox one still ended up being a miracle.
The console literally did a 180 halfway through this generation.

If the console is estimated around 45 million units sold, it should have been half of that to be honest.

Next Gen will definitely be interesting.
I see Xbox one like the Wii U.
Actuallg i see the XB1 like the N64
The Wii U is the Saturn
The ps4 is the ps1

The switch is kinda like the dreamcast . But way more successful

Argus

Oct 27, 2017
I have never seen a brand do so much harm to itself for no good reason. Not only did it make me know I would be getting a PS4 after having a 360, to this day I am extremely hesitant to even think about going back to xbox brand because they so didn't "get it".

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Having people call me insulting names and threaten me on the internet because I stated I was still buying it after the reveal was comedy gold.

Some people got way too into it.