• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The worst OS this gen.

You can bend it a bit to make it somewhat usable but boy... the stuttering, the fucking stuttering alone makes me want to throw my X out of a window.

I had more problems with the OS of my X in 2 months than on my PS4/Pro/Switch since launch.

Such fantastic hardware (Xbox One X) chained down onto such a turd of an OS.

I pray for a complete new OS for the next gen Xbox. Hopefully the next one doesn't have to check the internet every damn time i try to do anything.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
What's the difference between a folder and a group?
On PS4, you can only have a game in one folder, so it's easy to tell that everything's organized properly. On Xbox One, I have to keep going back and forth from the games list to the groups to see if I'm missing things, which just drives me nuts and I don't really use it anymore. The management stuff is bad.

xrnzaaas

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yep it's total crap compared to the PS4. Accessing (and taking) screenshots, achievements or even info on installed games (updates, savegames, addons etc.) is too complicated and takes too long even when you know what you're doing.

Oct 27, 2017
Awfulness aside (because I do think that the guide is just a bandaid solution for a generally horrible experience), I also find it very annoying that a game will just close (if it's suspended) when there is a new update. Experienced that twice with RDR2 and it kind of fucked me with not having had a recent autosave.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
I have a 1x and the dash is fine most of the time. I removed the apps I don't use and uninstall games I'm done with. Both consoles start to chug if you have tons of stuff installed.

Another factor is your online connection. If your box is sluggish try setting it offline and doing a hard reset. It'll probably be much faster. For some reason the way it fetches data from the server can make the menus chug at times. PS4 suffers from the same thing but mainly with the store which is awful. The main screen is solid because player control is prioritized over the "what's new" information. if it wasn't the interface would lag like mad.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
On PS4, you can only have a game in one folder, so it's easy to tell that everything's organized properly. On Xbox One, I have to keep going back and forth from the games list to the groups to see if I'm missing things, which just drives me nuts and I don't really use it anymore. The management stuff is bad.

The Xbox One offers more flexibility. You can list Forza Horizon 4 under both "Open World" and "Racing", for example. I get it, it doesn't work like the PS4, and you like how the PS4 works for your particular situation. That's fine.

Yep it's total crap compared to the PS4. Accessing (and taking) screenshots, achievements or even info on installed games (updates, savegames, addons etc.) is too complicated and takes too long even when you know what you're doing.

It literally took me just 6 seconds to get to recent captures in the video below. And I was going slowly to clearly show how to get there and trying to take a video at the same time.

What exactly is complicated about hitting the guide button, navigating to a the broadcast and captures blade (or pivot) and hitting down twice? I simply don't understand how anyone who has any experience playing video games could have trouble hitting 5 buttons. Actually, you can even get there by hitting the guide button and pressing the view button on the controller. That's 2 button presses.

Where's the complication? If two buttons is complicated, I couldn't even imagine trying to figure out RDR2's controls. Or throwing a dragon punch.

Uno Venova

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The fact that they're redesigned it so many times in such a short span its alarming in itself, that would be crazy if they still haven't gotten it right.

GamingRobioto

May 18, 2018
Exeter, UK
For me MS had the perfect UI in the first few years of the Xbox 360, which gradually got worse thoughout that generation. I hated the Xbox One interface at launch and 3 years into the lifecycle. I haven't played one since I sold mine 2 years ago so it could well be better... or worse still...

Interfaces are better when they are clean and simple, the Switch and PS4 interface while not perfect are simple and clean and IMO are streets ahead of the Xbox One interface, well at leadst the XB1 interface of 2 years ago, as it may well have changed...

It just annoys me that Xbox went from the best in this area to the worst gradually over the course of a decade.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The fact that they're redesigned it so many times in such a short span its alarming in itself, that would be crazy if they still haven't gotten it right.
Mainly because they keep adding features, testing new things etc and not just pushing out stability updates. Some stuff works out, some needs way more testing.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
The Xbox One offers more flexibility. You can list Forza Horizon 4 under both "Open World" and "Racing", for example. I get it, it doesn't work like the PS4, and you like how the PS4 works for your particular situation. That's fine.
I don't do folders like that. It's Digital, Retail, GWG, Game Pass, EA Access, BC, etc and trying to manage that with my library is ridiculously bad without using a Google Doc, which is an easy way to tell how bad it is. Not to mention that it's very hard to tell the difference between games you own or get from GWG/GP/EA Access because they try to hide that stuff as much as possible.

Edit: To add to this, I also believe that you can only have ten groups with maybe 40 games max in each group, so it's inadequate for what I'd want to do like with the PS4 dashboard.

Last edited:

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I don't do folders like that. It's Digital, Retail, GWG, Game Pass, EA Access, BC, etc and trying to manage that with my library is ridiculously bad without using a Google Doc, which is an easy way to tell how bad it is. Not to mention that it's very hard to tell the difference between games you own or get from GWG/GP/EA Access because they try to hide that stuff as much as possible.
They have a menu that shows Gold, EA Access etc and other subscriptions and it lists installed and ready to install.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mainly because they keep adding features, testing new things etc and not just pushing out stability updates. Some stuff works out, some needs way more testing.

That's fine and one thing i really love about MS but the nr. 1 objective should always be that the OS is as quick as possible.

I like the PS4 and Switch OS way more because of that simple fact. Not nearly perfect on either of them but way better than on Xbox.

Give me a lightning fast os with the basic features and add more in the background without slowing down the core of your OS.

Baked Pigeon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
I love my X1, and don't really have any issues using the dash.

The one thing that I don't understand though is how MS took a step backwards in responsiveness and overall snappiness of the dashboard from 360 to XBO.

I feel like I'm underwater or in a show moving dream when using the dash.

J 0 E

Oct 27, 2017
Totally agree

XBX UI is sluggish and messy compared to PS4's basic UI even after 3 years on using both, which deserves 100 threads since it's MicroSOFT.

Panic Freak

Oct 26, 2017
Pins are your friend. I only access screenshots all that on my phone through the Xbox app so I wouldn't be able to help you there.

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly can't wrap my head around the idea that it's a "complete mess" or however else people often describe it.

People sat there shouting "HUH?!?" at the screen because you occasionally scroll right or left a couple of times, or press the big glowing button in the middle of the controller to bring up a layer of options.

The Xbox dash is occasionally laggy in places it shouldn't be, and I wish the main home screen was cleaner (couple fewer ads, more of the wallpaper). Other than that, it's fine.

chubigans

Vertigo Gaming Inc.
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
It is by far the worst console dash I've ever used. I hate it so so much. Confusing, laggy, nonsensical and extremely ugly.

II JumPeR I

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Germany
wat...

Sometimes i wonder what people are doing when they claim such BS.

Im accessing all this stuff pretty easy and fast.

bob smith

Nov 1, 2017

if you consider it too complicated i think you have to question your intelligence.

both xbox one and ps4 ui are easy to use.
both have bad lag.
My ps4 use to pause for a minute or longer doing anything that had to do with online

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
It can be sluggish based on your internet and the store itself could be better...as well as their smartphone app....

....otherwise I signicantly prefer it to the PlayStation dashboard. Once you understand how to take advantage or the customization options, it's a much better system if you have tons of games.

Groups and being able to move pins make it an awesome way to organize your games and apps. One right trigger click takes me to the my played pins. Move down 1 more screen to see all my Game Pass games. Have a group for media apps. One for backlog "up next" games. Don't have the customization on PlayStation.

Game Pass tab and Game Pass smartphone app are very good.

Out the box...sure it's shit but that's because you're meant to tinker with it to your preference.

Edit: there are issues connecting online to some Azure servers. I've found a microsoft hop leading to their Chicago data center that is shit and I get laggy everything when I'm connected to that data center. This stuff needs to be reported more often. It's an issue I don't think Microsoft is paying any attention to and they need to fix before xcloud. If you're getting a laggy dashboard on Azure, wait until you're streaming games.

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I find that the Xbox UI is best in its class when it comes to getting what you want as fast as you can. Once you set up your pins you use the guide for everything. I feel as though i can launch my game, create a party, invite all my friends to the party and then invite everyone to the game iam playing faster on Xbox than any other console and it works. I wont deny how the system can get sluggish if you dont hard reboot every now and then and use the Home page or whatever its called, but the guide is ALWAYS snappy and my time on the dash is minimal and it should be for everyone. The entire PS4 UI never feels like it slows down which is very impressive, but trying to get a party and inviting friends to games feels clunky and just not as easy and that to me is the most important feature.

KomandaHeck

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not a fan but have become accustomed to the navigation aspect of it for the most part.

My problem is that everything about it is slow. Pages take far too long to pop up and it always reverts some of my settings, such as setting my tile colour to the default green when blue is selected. The issues I've had using it are numerous and it is an absolute fucking chore to wait around for. I have to wonder if it's just an issue with my particular console because I'm positive I would've seen more people making a fuss about it if it was just how the system is.

xrnzaaas

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
if you consider it too complicated i think you have to question your intelligence.

both xbox one and ps4 ui are easy to use.
both have bad lag.
My ps4 use to pause for a minute or longer doing anything that had to do with online
Maybe it's a case of getting used to it. I spend 90% of my time with PS4 and 10% with the Xbox. If that difference was smaller I'd probably get more familiar with the dashboard. All I can say is that I never had problems finding the important things since my first contact with the PS4, some advanced options, sure, never the basic ones. It was very different on the Xbox. I even uninstalled the whole game by mistake once.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
After spending years using soley the XB1 dashboard I found the PS4 dashboard initially quite messy and frustrating to use, ie. it took me forever to figure out how to change users which is something that comes very easy on XB1. That is of course until I got used to it and learned how to do what I needed to do.

The point I'm trying to make is I think its a stretch saying its a "complete mess", it's just different and you have to learn how to use all its features. Its kind of like someone jumping from PC to Mac or vice Versa and saying the opposite is a complete mess after a few minutes because certain button presses or things don't do exactly what you expect them to do based on what you've used in the past.

I think people spend 10 minutes with these things and then rush to judgement without taking the time to learn the in's and outs.

I will say I do find the PS4's OS to be much snappier than the XB1 overall, I think the issue with the XB1 is that there is so much on the homescreen being pulled from a network that it has a hard time keeping up. Given that I do actually prefer the PS4's OS, but it's kind of a wash and I think people make a way bigger deal about console OS than they should.

meenseen84

Feb 15, 2018
Minneapolis
Doing a backup and then resetting it has made it significantly faster for me in the past. It is pretty painless as I didn't have to put passwords back into apps.

bob smith

Nov 1, 2017
Maybe it's a case of getting used to it. I spend 90% of my time with PS4 and 10% with the Xbox. If that difference was smaller I'd probably get more familiar with the dashboard. All I can say is that I never had problems finding the important things since my first contact with the PS4, some advanced options, sure, never the basic ones. It was very different on the Xbox. I even uninstalled the whole game by mistake once.

probably because its not all that different from the ps3.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It works whenever...

You literally click "See all" once the Recent Captures guide pops up and it takes you to "Manage Captures" where you can choose to see stuff on Xbox LIVE, on YOUR Xbox or what's Uploading...

The hyperbole in this thread is crazy. Lol.

Actually, you're right lol. I never even realised this until recently. Don't know if this is a recent change or its always been there, but it's certainly a welcome addition. As mentioned the screenshot taking and viewing is still incredibly slow and cumbersome though. Going through images and each one takes several seconds to load, and you can't transfer images to USB unless they're initially captured on an external drive, add to that you can't even upload them to your OneDrive until they're uploaded to your XBL, which can sometimes take 15+ minutes. What should be swift, quick and easy, ends up being cumbersome. It's one of the main reasons I don't take as many screenshots on my Xbox One as my PS4, and lord knows I love screenshots

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
It literally took me just 6 seconds to get to recent captures in the video below. And I was going slowly to clearly show how to get there and trying to take a video at the same time.

What exactly is complicated about hitting the guide button, navigating to a the broadcast and captures blade (or pivot) and hitting down twice? I simply don't understand how anyone who has any experience playing video games could have trouble hitting 5 buttons. Actually, you can even get there by hitting the guide button and pressing the view button on the controller. That's 2 button presses.

Where's the complication? If two buttons is complicated, I couldn't even imagine trying to figure out RDR2's controls. Or throwing a dragon punch.
taking a screenshot in PS4 literally just means hitting 1 button

that's the simplest thing ever. don't underestimate the power or difference that 1 step makes compared to even 2 steps

now to be fair -- PS4 can do that because it has that extra dedicated screenshot button on the controller. that's something MS should think about on its next controller

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
Actually, you're right lol. I never even realised this until recently. Don't know if this is a recent change or its always been there, but it's certainly a welcome addition. As mentioned the screenshot taking and viewing is still incredibly slow and cumbersome though. Going through images and each one takes several seconds to load, and you can't transfer images to USB unless they're initially captured on an external drive, add to that you can't even upload them to your OneDrive until they're uploaded to your XBL, which can sometimes take 15+ minutes.

Mate, I don't know how to break it to you, but there's something wrong with your connection.

And that's on a paltry 25 Mbit connection.

Also, if uploads to Live are talking that long for you (they shouldn't), you can always go to the upload queue, cancel them, and then mass upload everything to OneDrive (check the buttons on the top right to do it quickly).

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Mate, I don't know how to break it to you, but there's something wrong with your connection.

And that's on a paltry 25 Mbit connection.

Also, if uploads to Live are talking that long for you (they shouldn't), you can always go to the upload queue, cancel them, and then mass upload everything to OneDrive (check the buttons on the top right to do it quickly).

Are these PNG? And is this One X or One? I only have the standard One. Perhaps it's slower when the game is more visually demanding. I took 100+ FH4 screens and it was abysmal how slow viewing and sorting images were. I shouldn't even have to wait for each screen to upload to XBL first before I can upload it to OneDrive, just let me transfer it to USB. Else I would have posted far more screens in the screenshots thread. It's an unbelievable looking game.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
PNGs on Xbox One X, but I don't remember it being much different on my launch Xbox One. The Store can still perform abysmally, but everything else has been pretty good for me for years now.

Oct 27, 2017
I bought my X a few weeks ago and really love the console. Game Pass is amazing, playing classics in 4k is incredible and the hardware itself.

Sadly, the dashboard is indeed a clusterfuck of biblical proportions. It's definitely the worst thing about the Xbox experience right now.

Oct 30, 2017
I like the ability to set screenshots as wallpapers but, yes, the UI is terrible. Feels like a budget console and even when I try to declutter, it stills feels cluttered and chunky.

Ukraine

Banned
Jun 1, 2018

Now try to open any older photo or video. LMAO!

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who just got used to the UI over time, I used to think posts like this were crazy. After deciding to use my Xbox One as the primary "entertainment" box in my living room, I've learned just how bad it is via teaching friends/family to use it.

With that, I will say that the guide is fantastic. I just wish that the actual home screen mimicked it's functionality. Too much of the current OS is based on trying to expose you to new things when it should really just let me see the information I want. I kind of wish that the one preview build that let you hide sections of the home screen was what they stuck with.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
One thing they could add is the ability to alphabetically sort your groups. It's a problem on PS4 too with their folders. When you go to games in your library, they are sorted A-Z, but for some reason on both systems they are unable to replicate that same basic functionality in your groups/folders. You have to manually move stuff around.

Deleted member 3203

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
sunny canada
Yup. And zero ads in the guide.

It's not a PS4. Use the Guide.

xbox-guide-landing.jpg

pretty sure that's an ad at the bottom of the guide. Pretty sure there are up to 4 ads on the main screen (the two blocks on the bottom right) and sometimes the 2 thinner blocks above - those sometimes one of those just lets me know about rare achievements!?

so that's 4 ads in that screenshot alone. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

impact

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa
I love how you click "Deals" and it slowly loads in this jobber selection of 25 games on sale, half being unknowns. What the hell is this shit MS?

Compared to PS4 their sales are fucking horrendous. Don't have a deals label when you offer none.

Dec 31, 2017
Like it has been mentioned, everything is in the guide, like EVERYTHING! Makes it a breeze to access and change settings or access parties, games, streaming, screenshots, etc.

When my friend lent me his PS4 to play Uncharted I couldn't even figure out how to log him out and log myself in for my trophies. Also, don't know why but I've never had anyone in real life complain about the Xbox One interface.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
xbox-guide-landing.jpg

pretty sure that's an ad at the bottom of the guide. Pretty sure there are up to 4 ads on the main screen (the two blocks on the bottom right) and sometimes the 2 thinner blocks above - those sometimes one of those just lets me know about rare achievements!?

so that's 4 ads in that screenshot alone. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That's not an ad. It's a shortcut in the guide to get to your free gold games twice a month. I use it all the time! Please don't complain about that to Phil!