• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
There's literally an entire tab for captures in the guide, I feel like these threads have to be a joke or people just not trying. Like most of these threads it's always people coming from PS4 and expecting everything to be everywhere it is on PS4.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
I'm still trying to figure out what the "View" button is for. It doesn't seem to get much use. They should let you reprogram it to be something else.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I don't find it difficult to navigate, but the pauses/delays in moving around it drives me nuts.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Between the layout, the clunkiness and slowness, the constant errors and disappearing lists, it's by far the worst OS in any console i owned.
Yep.

It's SHOCKING just how slow and sluggish it is. I can't believe anyone at MS actually used this and decided it was shippable. It's mind boggling.

How some people can find the Xbox One interface confusing and hard to use will forever remain one of this universe's great mysteries. That's just crazy to me, I simply can't grasp it. How do you people play games that feature anything but the simplest menu systems? Yes, it's different compared to PS4 and Switch, and it will take some adjustment if you've never used it before, but it has a logic of its own, and navigating it should become second nature in no time.
What you just described is also called bad UI design.

You should't have to adjust to the "logic of its own." That's poor design. A good UI is intuitive enough that it makes perfect sense without any adjustment period.

There's literally an entire tab for captures in the guide, I feel like these threads have to be a joke or people just not trying. Like most of these threads it's always people coming from PS4 and expecting everything to be everywhere it is on PS4.
If you "have to try" to understand a user interface, that is a bad user interface. Period.

Last edited:

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017
I also dont understand why they cant put the full shut down and instant-on mode on the Xbox button. Everytime i wanna full shut down i gotta go through the settings.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
Yep.

It's SHOCKING just how slow and sluggish it is. I can't believe anyone at MS actually used this and decided it was shippable. It's mind boggling.

Somebody please post a video of the sluggishness if you can. Especially in the Guide.

I posted a video of my Xbox One X reacting immediately to every button press. Most everyone has ignored it.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Somebody please post a video of the sluggishness if you can. Especially in the Guide.

I posted a video of my Xbox One X reacting immediately to every button press. Most everyone has ignored it.
Don't even come on here and lie like your shit is fast. You don't have a magic Xbox.

I have a One X as well, and it is offensively sluggish getting around main interface. Especially the store, christ.

Rumble

Oct 25, 2017
Hamilton, Ontario

I feel the same way. I could see it a few iterations ago maybe, but for me the Xbox UI is good at what it does. I've never even experienced it being slow or laggy, which is something I see frequently talked about. Maybe it's a problem with a larger library of games or a slower internet connection? I have no idea.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
I also dont understand why they cant put the full shut down and instant-on mode on the Xbox button. Everytime i wanna full shut down i gotta go through the settings.
It's not a PS4. It's not meant to work that way.
Don't even come on here and lie like your shit is fast. You don't have a magic Xbox.

I have a One X as well, and it is offensively sluggish getting around main interface. Especially the store, christ.

Post some evidence, then. Mine is quick.

The store loads data from the Internet, and I expect it to take a little time to load up.

That said, mine is quick.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (5 Days): Platform warring and antagonising other users. Prior infractions for similar behaviour.
I feel the same way. I could see it a few iterations ago maybe, but for me the Xbox UI is good at what it does. I've never even experienced it being slow or laggy, which is something I see frequently talked about. Maybe it's a problem with a larger library of games or a slower internet connection? I have no idea.
You're just used to it. I have gigabit Internet and my Xbox is connected via Ethernet. Shit is sluggish.

The store loads data from the Internet, and I expect it to take a little time to load up.
You're lying.

You can't record the OS without starting a game, genius.

Unless that's hidden setting that isn't readily apparent from the normal capture controls. In which case... LOL, another achievement in UI design.

It's so awful. I'd say its the worst dashboard UI to date. I just don't understand people who try to defend it.
Console warriors, pure and simple

Xbox One OS is objectively bad and sluggish. It's indefensible.

Last edited:

yyr

Nov 14, 2017
White Plains, NY
I hate it. I just want to play my games.

Guide button > My games & apps > your pins and all of the groups you've set up are right there. It's super quick and easy now.

It's the best interface for those of us who use the Xbox One for more than just games. We use ours for apps and TV also. The voice navigation is gimped compared to what it was at launch, but overall, I love the UI.

The PS4 UI is only good for launching games, but that's all it really does anyway, so I guess that's OK. I hate the outdated PS Store interface though.

It's so awful. I'd say its the worst dashboard UI to date. I just don't understand people who try to defend it.

What's awful about it? After setting up pins and groups, I can launch anything I want (or check current sale items) in a couple of clicks.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
You're just used to it. I have gigabit Internet and my Xbox is connected via Ethernet.

You can't record the OS without starting a game, genius.

Unless that's hidden setting that isn't readily apparent from the normal capture controls. In which case... LOL, such great design.

Console warriors, pure and simple

Xbox One OS is objectively bad and sluggish. It's indefensible.

Uh...use a cell phone to record your screen.

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017
It's not a PS4. It's not meant to work that way.

That said, mine is quick.
Whats not suppose to work that way? Shutting down the 1X? If standby mode wasnt freaking 10w, i would leave it on. But 10w is like a switch in use.

Ukraine

Banned
Jun 1, 2018
I like how people keep trying to defend this mess of UI. X has been my primary console for a year and I HATE Xbox UI. It's actively ruining gaming experience for me.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have a PS4 though too and I really don't see much of a difference at all.
Never said PS4 wasn't also prone to sluggishness. It's quicker than the Xbox though, and has a far more intuitive UI, so I do enjoy my time with it the once or twice a year it gets turned on.

Switch UI embarrasses both of them. That's how it should be done.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
It's definitely my least favourite when compared to the PS4 and Switch. Grouping pins is nice and all, but it all feels like an exercise from the Mattrick days.

Yet it still doesn't compare to the Xbox One's crime of not including HDMI-CEC support. Like what the fuck...

Deleted member 4044

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My experience on my One X is nearly identical to the one in the video posted to this thread. It's similar whenever I watch somebody streaming Xbox games on Twitch. Can somebody show us how sluggish the guide is on their console?

OldBenKenobi

Oct 25, 2017
Never said PS4 wasn't also prone to sluggishness. It's quicker than the Xbox though, and has a far more intuitive UI, so I do enjoy my time with it the once or twice a year it gets turned on.

Switch UI embarrasses both of them. That's how it should be done.

Not for me. The PS4 OS is slow a shit on my PS4. My X UI is a lot faster especially with more going in the back round. I can have Netflix and a game open on my X and it barely slows down. If I have just a game open on the PS4, accessing the store and party chat tabs have like a 10 second delay... it's really bad.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I recently got an XBX and I was really surprised and how much of a step back it felt to me from the 360.
It feels sluggish, filled with shit I don't care about and basic tasks are unnecessarily complicated/unintuitive.

But honestly, I don't fuck around with the OS too much, it annoy me a bit before I get into the game, but I can deal.

p.s.
The xbox app is fucking horrible, it really has some of the worst design I have ever seen, and I'm not even joking.

Couchpotato

Nov 7, 2018
As a 'power user' I really like it. But when I first hopped on it, I agree it was way too dense with its feature placements. I still think the pins are unnecessary for 90%+ of the user base and should be moved to less prominent position by default. I do wish there was an option to turn off some of the UI motion effects like you can with iOS.

I think of it as Switch on one side, with simplicity, Xbox on the other, and the PS4 in the middle in terms of approachability.

badnewsbeers

Dec 10, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Today marks my first month owning an Xbox One X, and I still do not know how to even access my screenshots/recordings. Coming from a PS4, this is the most confusing interface I hace used in a long time.

How does ERA feel about the current state of the Xbox dashboard? What do you think could make it better?

I could not agree more. I don't understand how people defend it. It's slow, glitchy, and unintuitive. The 360 was great. PS4 is great. PS3 was great. Xbox One sucks. How hard is it to not fuck up??

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Not for me. The PS4 OS is slow a shit on my PS4. My X UI is a lot faster especially with more going in the back round. I can have Netflix and a game open on my X and it barely slows down. If I have just a game open on the PS4, accessing the store and party chat tabs have like a 10 second delay... it's really bad.
Try rebuilding the PS4's database. Worked wonders for me.

Still, people forget how nightmarish using the PS4 UI with a game open used to be.

Ukraine

Banned
Jun 1, 2018
My experience on my One X is nearly identical to the one in the video posted to this thread. It's similar whenever I watch somebody streaming Xbox games on Twitch. Can somebody show us how sluggish the guide is on their console?
Why do Xbox UI defenders keep asking for proof? Do you think that all these people in this thread are lying? When somebody says that PS4 is worse or as bad my first thought ia always that their PS4 is broken. Because how could it be worse than Microsoft's mess?

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still trying to figure out what the "View" button is for. It doesn't seem to get much use. They should let you reprogram it to be something else.
If you press "view" on a game or app in your library, it jumps straight to "Manage game or app" instead of having to press menu and navigate to that option.

I used to still like the X1 interface because I actually like the layout, but having it just hang for minutes at a time over, and over, and over again in the past few weeks and stuff just crashing "for some reason" I'm getting really fed up with how much it just fucking sucks using.

HeWhoWalks

Jan 17, 2018
Are you sure your Xbox is hooked up to your router correctly? My Xbox maxes out my download speed I get from my ISP at around 200mb/s. In comparison I get around ~100 mb/s on my PS4 which I've confirmed isn't an issue with my PS4 from several friends who own PS4's (all wired).

Positive, broski. I have Google Fiber here in Raleigh, NC and the downloads remain behind my PS4's. It is, of course, faster when hardwired, but the updates and game installs are quite slow. It is just a clunky setup all around.

tatotiburon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Killa
this thread again...

i don't get it, is this really that hard?

IGBMvZR.png

c'mon it's the first thing you see when you press the guide button

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017
Why do Xbox UI defenders keep asking for proof? Do you think that all these people in this thread are lying? When somebody says that PS4 is worse or as bad my first thought ia always that their PS4 is broken. Because how could it be worse than Microsoft's mess?
Ps4 and x1 is bad, however ps4 is boring looking but easier to figure where everything is.

Other than the boring look of the ps4, i dont get why something with such a simple interface has lag. Not as bad as x1 though.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
k.

Note the lag from the sound you hear my stick make to the action occurring on screen.

I'm actually just amazed at how differently we navigate the UI. I usually switch screens on the home screen by using LB and RB. Then I use the d-pad to scroll around on that page. It's just faster and takes fewer button presses. I've literally never hit buttons that quickly to try and navigate the OS. And I never switch screens using the d-pad. When I just tried it, it acted the same as yours. Particularly on the Mixer page where it animates the thumbnails.

I still don't think it's horrible lag though. I expected loading screens for days with your description.

The guide remains super quick, though. No lag whatsoever, no matter how quickly I press the buttons.

Last edited:

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
I also bought an X couple of months back and I absolutely loath the main dashboard. It's unintuitive, laggy (on the X and 1Gb internet connection), includes pointless shit I can't turn off and is generally just completely superfluous.

Yes, yes, I use the Guide menu only and I setup some Groups and Pins but I would take my PS4 Pro menu any day of the week. Even through guide, pulling up Games, Game Pass or EA Pass libraries is super slow. Separately, it's vwry annoying how terrible Xbox is at sleeping games.

Consoles hardware itself is excellent, love Game Pass/EA Pass features, hate the interface. It was done by an incompetent Win10 UX/UI designer who hated their customers. Meh.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
The five second pauses between opening or closing anything, or even just trying to see your games is maddening for sure.

I don't take screenshots or anything so the lack of a dedicated button doesn't bother me at least.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I seriously can't believe people are defending the UI/UX of the XB1. It is completely fucking terrible in all aspects. No, having the "Xbox Guide" does not make up for everything being awful about it. I can't think of another system that had a worse user interface since they became a thing.

matimeo

UI/UX Game Industry Veteran
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
As someone who worked on the Xbox 360 Dashboard the current UI/UX is so disappointing it's a big reason I rarely boot mine up. Hits too close to home lol.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who worked on the Xbox 360 Dashboard the current UI/UX is so disappointing it's a big reason I rarely boot mine up. Hits too close to home lol.

Oh man, I was literally waiting for some UI/UX designers to chime in but didn't expect a 360 designer to come along.

What do you think happened or what were they thinking with that design?

matimeo

UI/UX Game Industry Veteran
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Oh man, I was literally waiting for some UI/UX designers to chime in but didn't expect a 360 designer to come along.

What do you think happened or what were they thinking with that design?

It's what happens when your platform isn't owned by people focused on gaming. They just don't get certain things and basically windows phone UI which I also worked on as a engineer was just slapped on without understanding why windows phone UI worked so well (hint: a tv is not a mobile phone)

Microsoft is dev and management driven . Design is heavily underrepresented especially at higher levels.

dhi

Oct 30, 2017
I totally agree because I am in the same Situation. My pro tip is, like others already have stated, do everything with the quick menu aka guide. After you wrap your head around this major difference in using the system, I think its okay.

Igorth

Nov 13, 2017
Its so so laggy, to the point that the first movement never registers, at least on the X. Games work perfectly fine but UI is so sluggish.