• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Stormed

Jan 5, 2018
Utah
Today marks my first month owning an Xbox One X, and I still do not know how to even access my screenshots/recordings. Coming from a PS4, this is the most confusing interface I hace used in a long time.

How does ERA feel about the current state of the Xbox dashboard? What do you think could make it better?

JeffGubb

Giant Bomb
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I just manage my pins, and I think it makes the system super easy to navigate. But I understand that is too much to ask of most people.

As for accessing your screenshots, just put your GameTag in at xboxdvr.com

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Absolutely unintuitive, messy, and depending on my internet connection, slow. I will forever miss the 360s blades.

To make it better, I'd love if there was more customization than just the pin system. I'm able to place my most important games and apps front and center, why not move everything around? Delete it off my dashboard if I'm uninterested in ever seeing something. Maybe it'd make things snappier if all the useless features could be turned off.

Deleted member 4044

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand how people are still making threads about this. The dashboard hasn't changed pretty much at all in 2018, finally reaching a point of design stability.

Your go-to tool for everything is the guide. Hit the Xbox button, go left and right on the guide until you find what you want. There's an entire tab on there for captures/streaming.

The dashboard was a complete disaster at launch because everything was an app - achievements, friends, etc. They've scaled that back and used the Guide as a way to short circuit all of their previous design decisions. It's also lightning fast compared to the PS4 Quick Menu, which takes ages to load my friends list when I'm in a game.

rebelcrusader

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Reset the clock

Another one of those threads

Recorded clips like almost everything is on the side menu that slides out with the Xbox button

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
This is that guy who did the good rdr2 video doing one about bad user interfaces. he goes in pretty hard on the Xbox dashboard but it's funny.

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Today marks my first month owning an Xbox One X, and I still do not know how to even access my screenshots/recordings. Coming from a PS4, this is the most confusing interface I hace used in a long time.

How does ERA feel about the current state of the Xbox dashboard? What do you think could make it better?

Coming from mostly using the Xbox UI I find that the PS4 UI is horrible. You will notice things more on whatever youre not used to.

KyngKee

Oct 25, 2017
I will never get how ppl say the Xbox OS is hard to use. Can it be slow sometimes going in and out of games and apps and the store yea. But, it's super easy to find everything because it's all in the guide...

Btw to take a screenshot hit the guide button then Y or X to save a clip. Super easy...

Jaxar

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Coming from the PS4 dash I agree the Xbox dash does feel convoluted at first. It does get better though and once you're used to it, setting stuff up the way you like it is pretty great.

Mitsurugi

Alt-account
Dec 11, 2018
Just press the guide button it's not something out of this world. UI is what I hate

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
You don't really need to navigate the main menu. Everything you need to access on Xbox is on the home button.

Home > Broadcast & Capture > Capture > Manage captures

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
Guide button
RB
RB
Down
Down
A

That gets you to recent captures. I find the guide to be really intuitive. Especially for how much functionality is packed in and the fact that it comes up instantly.

What's your confusion? Everything is in the guide.

Merrill

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax
It takes way too many button presses to use anything. Something that takes one 1 or 2 clicks on PS4 takes 5 or 6 on Xbox. Plus it lags and hitches.

It's terrible.

Ironchimp

Dec 16, 2017
Its a cluster fuck I hate it also why is so sluggish? PS4 is much better

Last edited:

DocSeuss

Oct 25, 2017
I agree that recent captures is a bit annoying, but the guide in general is great and has literally EVERYTHING on it. Tap the button, bam. Everything. It's a lot like blades.

That said... man, performance has gone off a CLIFF the past couple of months. It was bad for a long time, then it got a lot better, and yesterday I think I waited like... 20-30 seconds to get it to load my library.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
I agree, I bought one on black friday (my first xbox ever) mostly to use as a 4k blu ray player, and the interface is terrible. I was honestly two seconds away from googling where on the dashboard to find my games when I first got it. It's like every part of the interface takes like 7 button presses too many to get to.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
I bought an Xbox One X last year. Didn't keep it for more than a week, and part of the reason was the UI. I bought an One X again this week, but had forgotten how bad the UI was and I'm kind of the mind to sell this one but know I'll take a loss. You can get used to it, but you shouldn't have to go through the pain. There's way too many menus and sub menus. Hitting the back button also feels unpredictable in where it will take me. Then there's the ads on the home page. The system has the fastest reported download speeds, much faster than PS4, but for whatever reason the install process feels like it's the slowest. The system also doesn't seem to register my button presses sometimes. I feel like Microsoft should stop with the new feature updates and work on usability and stability. Though it's not surprising since they have the same problems with Windows 10.

verygooster

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
For me the current dashboard is probably the most usable it's been since I first owned an Xbox One in 2015. I mean it's not amazing by any stretch, but a lot better now than years back. It's snappier having upgraded to Xbox One X but pretty much everything I need is in the guide menu.

Also fairly certain Guide button > Back button will show you your recent screen shots and captures.

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
I don't think it's bad but it's not that intuitive for sure. Simplify would be my ask for next-upgrade.

Folie

Dec 16, 2017
Yeah it's bad, went from a PS4 a month ago to an X1X and it just isn't intuitive. Friend at work, a UX designer, went the other way, from an X1 to a PS4 and was psyched by how much simpler things are on the PlayStation. I've got no platform bias, just find the Xbox's much more tedious and slow to use.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
Sorry about the Christmas Tree in the way :)
ojXv9LC_d.jpg

bry

Oct 27, 2017
Try creating groups for the apps/games you use the most.

I have 3 main groups, entertainment apps, games i'm hopping around through and the games I plan on playing down the line next.

Then just familiarize yourself with the guide and you won't have any issues tbh lol

KyngKee

Oct 25, 2017
It takes way too many button presses to use anything. Something that takes one 1 or 2 clicks on PS4 takes 5 or 6 on Xbox. Plus it lags and hitches.

It's terrible.

Do you have an Xbox one? It literally takes 2 button presses to take a screenshot or clip. Guide + Y or Guide + X. I'm willing to bet it's less clicks to get to everything quicker than the PS4.

Kitschy Kitty

Oct 25, 2017
I think the interface is great, maybe it takes more time to learn then it should though. Everything can be accessed quickly, if I had one complaint it's that I have to manually update pin groups instead of just saying "toss any game I've played in the last 30 days in that group".

Deleted member 4413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In its current 2018 state, it is the best console user interface of modern consoles from gen 7 onwards.

Everything you need is in the guide button, including your screenshots you've taken.

mlappy

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 15, 2018
Kanada
yes we know,

If you take a bit of time its got some well thought through elements but overall it's a mes

I'm amazed they haven't tried to redo it

I believe that they haven't tried to redo it because they want some consistency/similarity between windows 10 and their Xbox UI.

The Xbox UI, much like it's hardware should be built for games from the ground up. Not a repurposed version of Win10.

LQX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hate it. I just want to play my games. I should not have click there, then go there. Them trying to constantly sell you shit gets in the way of intuative navigation. Same with the damn website. I already have a live subscription, I already have a game pass subscription, yet before anything Im still seeing ads to join both.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
I believe that they haven't tried to redo it because they want some consistency/similarity between windows 10 and their Xbox UI.

The Xbox UI, much like it's hardware should be built for games from the ground up. Not a repurposed version of Win10.

Where have you been? They have redone the Xbox One interface like 5 times.

It didn't even have a guide at first. Hitting the guide button took you back to the home screen. The guide is fantastic.

Calm Killer

Oct 25, 2017
I think it is fine, and I really don't have any suggestions to improve it. I don't use screenshots or videos though, so I can't really help out on that part. Just Pin what you use most frequently.

Oct 30, 2017
Absolutely unintuitive, messy, and depending on my internet connection, slow. I will forever miss the 360s blades.

To make it better, I'd love if there was more customization than just the pin system. I'm able to place my most important games and apps front and center, why not move everything around? Delete it off my dashboard if I'm uninterested in ever seeing something. Maybe it'd make things snappier if all the useless features could be turned off.

I miss the blades so much. Simple. Layout made sense. They should've updated that instead of tossing it out the window. (They then tossed the replacement out the window. And the new replacement too)

Zelda

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The dashboard is so incredibly laggy on my fat xbox one it has basically become impossible to use. Particularly the store and searching for things, I get errors constantly.