• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SirDante

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 20, 2020
Haven't tried this.. but coming from PS5, gotta say having save syncs for most for most first party titles is a blessing. Start games on SeriesX and When I game on my gaming PC saves just sync, it really is amazing.

Jun 22, 2018
I jump between my PC, X1X, XSX, and xCloud. It's amazing how it really is starting to feel like a single big ecosystem. The free automatic synced saves and how things just work together really brings it all together.

It provides a lot of options and convince to gaming and I'm in the same boat. With hose conveniences and the lack of risk when trying games on game pass, I'm playing more games than ever.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Honestly the only real way they can improve is if they do more to get save compatibility for a lot more games between the PC Xbox store and console Xbox games. It would be absolutely incredible if I could play some Fallout 4 on my computer and then later grab a controller and play it on the Xbox. Same with other games like Control or Prey or a multitude of other games. I don't even really need Play Anywhere support, I just really wish they could do something with their wizardry to allow developers to do it easily.

Playing ReCore, Gears 4/5, Celeste, RE7 and Dragon Quest 11 has been amazing for this exact reason. I love being able to play it on my PC and then decide to pick up seamlessly on my Xbox as well if I so choose. It was something that was really missing with Control and Dishonored DE and Fallout 4 honestly.

Hopefully most, if not all, first party games will be Play Anywhere or at least have automatic cross save in the future

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I recently had the urge to play Yakuza 0 again; I had beat the game 2-3 times in the past few years but I told myself this would finally be the time I 100% it and get all the achievements. Of course I stopped playing halfway through because Game Pass makes my backlog constantly explode.

So, here I am booting up Yakuza 0 like I said and somehow the game was still in Quick Resume, like 5+ months later and I'm not even in the same state I was when I last played it. I played tons of games since then and it was still suspended in the background. It booted up in a few seconds and was right where I left off.

I truly feel that this is what it feels like to be next gen.
Nice, sounds like it's the totally the opposite of the Xbox One X. Sometimes I can resume a game after putting it in rest mode, and other times it just totally quits the game for no reason when I go back into it. At least I can rely on sleep mode on PS4 and Switch, but I don't trust it on the One X at all.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Nice, sounds like it's the totally the opposite of the Xbox One X. Sometimes I can resume a game after putting it in rest mode, and other times it just totally quits the game for no reason when I go back into it. At least I can rely on sleep mode on PS4 and Switch, but I don't trust it on the One X at all.

The resume functionality on the previous gen consoles was different than Quick Resume - those features just held the game state in the system memory. In Xbox's case I found if you started up the system and spent too much time in other apps and stuff before resuming your game, it would drop the game state. So I made a habit of immediately going into whatever game I planned to resume upon turning on the console, and THEN going to YouTube or whatever I actually wanted to use at the moment.

Quick Resume, AFAICT on the other hand, actually dumps the RAM data for several games to the SSD storage, and then restores it at will. Less volatile than last-gen "resume" features, and also allows it to persist through things like unplugging the console.

Right now the problem with Quick Resume is just that last-gen "support" for the feature is still a little spotty depending on the game. Presumably that'll fade as a problem as time goes on.

The Series X (and PS5) also still do that last-gen style "resume" feature for whatever the most recent game you played was, that is still faster than Quick Resume, because it's sitting in the RAM rather than the SSD.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
I'll be well and truly impressed with the Xbox ecosystem and how it seamlessly traverses hardware borders and stuff, when the following is true:

- They've upgraded xCloud to next-gen blades, upped the resolution/framerate above 1080p, and ironed out a lot of the latency issues on par with a service like Stadia.
- When xCloud lets you access your purchased games, not just a sub-selection of titles on Game Pass.
- When the PC Xbox application has been upgraded to not be ass (sounds like this is in the works, thankfully), and to be at least as open as Steam is regarding modding and whatnot.

None of the above is really a criticism - this is all a process, and xCloud is still called a beta for a reason - but right now I couldn't see myself using xCloud for more than checking vendors in Destiny 2, or other forms of "non-playing" playtime like that.

A future where I could have a Series X in my main gaming room, and a series of "Xbox sticks" plugged into other TVs around the house where I can seamlessly pick up my session - either beamed from a datacentre, or directly from my console - is exciting. I hope they fully get there.

But yes, right now I'll gladly take the smart cloud save implementation and whatnot.

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
The resume functionality on the previous gen consoles was different than Quick Resume - those features just held the game state in the system memory. In Xbox's case I found if you started up the system and spent too much time in other apps and stuff before resuming your game, it would drop the game state. So I made a habit of immediately going into whatever game I planned to resume upon turning on the console, and THEN going to YouTube or whatever I actually wanted to use at the moment.

Quick Resume, AFAICT on the other hand, actually dumps the RAM data for several games to the SSD storage, and then restores it at will. Less volatile than last-gen "resume" features, and also allows it to persist through things like unplugging the console.

Right now the problem with Quick Resume is just that last-gen "support" for the feature is still a little spotty depending on the game. Presumably that'll fade as a problem as time goes on.

The Series X (and PS5) also still do that last-gen style "resume" feature for whatever the most recent game you played was, that is still faster than Quick Resume, because it's sitting in the RAM rather than the SSD.
Oh yeah, I know what the difference of them are, although not near in-depth, thanks!

Problem I'm having is that I played some Banjo-Kazooie and then I held the Xbox button and turned off the console (into rest mode), but when I turned it back on and went back into Banjo-Kazooie it acted like I never had it opened. I never did anything else in between. Now, next time I tried it, it worked fine and resumed it instantly.

More often than not though I found it quit the game I was in without anything else in RAM.

On PS4/Switch I can always resume a game after putting it into sleep. It never quits it unless I go into something else, especially not just for going into rest/sleep and waking up.

Seeing that they pretty much fixed that with using the SSD (depending on the game as you said) is pretty cool, and also way better than any system before it.

Mar 19, 2020
Dont get me wrong. Big games deserve the best of the best.

Like I aint playing through a few hours of RE Village on Xcloud. That deserves my LG C9, Dolby Atmos, the works. This is just a nice way to grind through some games where its not overtly hindered by the drop in quality.
Yeah, I haven't gotten into the ios xcloud beta yet, but a weird realization happened to me when I was messing around with simply streaming the Series X to my phone. At first, I thought it was neat, but couldn't imagine a use case for me to choose that over the TV. But then I noticed a bunch of games on Game Pass (like Gato Roboto) which seemed super cool and scaled well to a more mobile experience. These would have struggled to win time when I had a 55" screen and Apex or Prey or something beckoning to me, but they are awesome as games to play away from the tv or if the tv is occupied. Like a way better apple arcade, especially when you ad something like a Backbone controller.

TLDR - The future is crazy and I'm here for it.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
I'll be well and truly impressed with the Xbox ecosystem and how it seamlessly traverses hardware borders and stuff, when the following is true:

- They've upgraded xCloud to next-gen blades, upped the resolution/framerate above 1080p, and ironed out a lot of the latency issues on par with a service like Stadia.
- When xCloud lets you access your purchased games, not just a sub-selection of titles on Game Pass.
- When the PC Xbox application has been upgraded to not be ass (sounds like this is in the works, thankfully), and to be at least as open as Steam is regarding modding and whatnot.

None of the above is really a criticism - this is all a process, and xCloud is still called a beta for a reason - but right now I couldn't see myself using xCloud for more than checking vendors in Destiny 2, or other forms of "non-playing" playtime like that.

A future where I could have a Series X in my main gaming room, and a series of "Xbox sticks" plugged into other TVs around the house where I can seamlessly pick up my session - either beamed from a datacentre, or directly from my console - is exciting. I hope they fully get there.

But yes, right now I'll gladly take the smart cloud save implementation and whatnot.

Very fair points. The PC store one is definitely a sore point and it's a shame it's taken so long to resolve, but their new store they're working on should fix this (fingers crossed)

I think xCloud goes nuclear when the Series X blades are installed. The experience right now is being held back by ancient xbox one S hardware. I don't think there's any secret sauce Stadia has, it's just better, more recent hardware with more robust support for better codecs. Hopefully they're able to swap out the hardware this year as promised.

There's quite a lot still work in progress. From the PC store, to xCloud, to the first party games. But it looks like they're on the right path to solving most of these.

Micerider

Nov 11, 2017
I agree, I have all platforms and have a specific fondness for Nintendo and Sony's first party efforts, but I actually spend most of my gaming time on my Series X and on PC Gamepass nowadays thanks to the convenience and variety of Gamepass Ultimate and the comfort of quick resume and cross-plateform saving.

An amazing job at MS to make gaming extremely convenient.

AppleBlade

Nov 15, 2017
Connecticut
Yeah, I love it. I purchased a Series X (for the mancave) and a Series S (family system in the living room) and I prepaid 3 years of GamePass (using the gold upgrade trick) and these last few months have been some of my favorite and most memorable periods of gaming ever. From playing games with my wife and kids in the living room (i.e. Minecraft Dungeons, Overcooked, Octodad, Battletoads, Lovers in a Dangerous Space Time, etc.) or late night gaming sessions getting caught up on underated XB1 gems that I never played (i.e. Sunset Overdrive, Gears 4 & 5, Quantum Break, Tell Me Why) to finally getting into a Racing game again (Forza Horizon 4) after not really enjoying the genre for years, it has been amazing.

The profile system, the cloud saves, using GamePass on my PC, Android Tablet now iPhone in addition to the Xbox with saves syncing seamlessly.

it gives me that Apple Vibe where the ecosystem is so seamless that I will gladly fully commit to that ecosystem because the tradeoffs are worth it.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
I think xCloud goes nuclear when the Series X blades are installed. The experience right now is being held back by ancient xbox one S hardware. I don't think there's any secret sauce Stadia has, it's just better, more recent hardware with more robust support for better codecs. Hopefully they're able to swap out the hardware this year as promised.

Things like resolution are definitely being held back by hardware, but I'm not sure Series X hardware will instantly clear up stuff like input latency. Stadia's attempted solution to this was to have the controller connected to your network as a separate device. It'll be interesting to see how good and consistent Microsoft can make it. Stadia, if absolutely nothing else, has very solid streaming tech.

Oct 30, 2017
Your Imagination
It sounds like a great service - though I never get these invites for some reason.

It's the same with the Microsoft Rewards emails - I have all marketing preferences switched on and never get anything from either them or Xbox.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
It is really quite impressive. In this cross-gen lull for lack of a better term, Series X is easily getting the most play in large part because of Game Pass and the ecosystem. I then turn on my Laptop and continue games right there. Or my phone. It's really bloody cool.

I'm excited to see MS's gameplan play out this gen. I'm a believer and I can't wait to get my grubby little paws on all their new games. Gonna reup Game Pass another year in July as well to last me up to '24.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
100% agreed here. Just to put my own perspective on things. I was often fairly limited in buying new games, I tried to rely on sales. because of that I had this mentality of not buying certain genres and types of games, I tended to stick to the 'safe bets'.

Thanks to Game Pass, I've got back into so many different types of games, especially JRPGs I've played the below and put many, many hours into them,
- Tale of Vesperia (playing now)
- Octopath Traveller
- Dragon Quest XI S
- State of Decay 2
- Gears 5

And the list goes on. In short, magnificent service owing to the sheer depth of content.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
I always buy multi-platform games on Xbox since I know that they will be playable long into the future and across generations.
I do prefer Xbox's approach to future-proofing their customer's games, and in a similar manner to Steam, taking them all with you to future Xbox hardware (and other hardware platforms for that matter). Makes going all digital so much more worth it.
I'm always confused when I see people post this. Microsoft didn't even support Kinect games on the very next generation, let alone beyond that. I don't blame them for making that decision at all, it's just weird to see people pretend that it never happened.

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
I'm always confused when I see people post this. Microsoft didn't even support Kinect games on the very next generation, let alone beyond that. I don't blame them for making that decision at all, it's just weird to see people pretend that it never happened.
If you mean between the 360 and Xbox One, it was because they literally couldn't. They tried adding support for it but found that they couldn't make it work with the Xbox One Kinect at all due to the difference in how the devices worked. I believe the Series X still technically supports the Xbox One Kinect if you have the USB adapter for it (though I haven't found anyone who has actually tried).

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
If you mean between the 360 and Xbox One, it was because they literally couldn't. They tried adding support for it but found that they couldn't make it work with the Xbox One Kinect at all due to the difference in how the devices worked. I believe the Series X still technically supports the Xbox One Kinect if you have the USB adapter for it (though I haven't found anyone who has actually tried).
That's such a strange excuse. If all it requires is an adaptor, why not just ship it to existing customers? That's literally what Sony did with the PSVR.

sacrament

Banned
Dec 16, 2019
Yep. Best platform, hardware, and ecosystem... Love it. Games aren't there just yet, but looks bright. Will see, but definitely a source of a lot of enjoyment.

HouseAR

May 17, 2020
Videogaming is getting on average extremely cheap indeed

I am expecting in the not too distant future even getting a console free with a 36 months game pass (or whatever it's called) prepaid plan

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020

I think the pretty obvious answer is that people consider Kinect an exception because it was a very "unique" peripheral, and was effectively defunct by about 2015 - with the last nail in the coffin being the One S not even including the Kinect port on the back. One of those people you quote also specified "multi-platform", which would decidedly mean not a Kinect game.

I also think it's likely people legitimately are forgetting the Kinect ever happened, because Microsoft themselves are eager to do the same. You can agree or disagree with making that exception for the handful of Kinect titles, or that it should be grounds for an asterisk on their BC claims, but I don't think there's anything inherently weird about it.

If all it requires is an adaptor, why not just ship it to existing customers? That's literally what Sony did with the PSVR.

They did back in like 2016 and for some time afterward. You could request one, and they'd send it to you. They don't make them any more, because Kinect has been defunct for at least 4 years and they aren't going to fabricate adapters in the name of backward compatibility with a dead device no one really cares about. The difference with PSVR is that Sony are still invested in that peripheral, and are indeed making another one.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
They don't make them any more, because Kinect has been defunct for at least 4 years and they aren't going to fabricate adapters in the name of backward compatibility with a dead device no one really cares about. The difference with PSVR is that Sony are still invested in that peripheral, and are indeed making another one.
That's kind of my point though, it's weird to post about how great Microsoft is at supporting their old hardware when the Kinect is already an unsupported piece of Microsoft hardware that didn't even make it to the following gen. As I said, I don't blame them for making that decision, just surprised that people ignore it or forget it.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
I recently had the urge to play Yakuza 0 again; I had beat the game 2-3 times in the past few years but I told myself this would finally be the time I 100% it and get all the achievements. Of course I stopped playing halfway through because Game Pass makes my backlog constantly explode.

So, here I am booting up Yakuza 0 like I said and somehow the game was still in Quick Resume, like 5+ months later and I'm not even in the same state I was when I last played it. I played tons of games since then and it was still suspended in the background. It booted up in a few seconds and was right where I left off.

Tell me about it, lol. Like I went through almost every other Yakuza including the new one since then, which includes 2 old ones I've never played before in my life, and I randomly go back and it's still running. I mean I knew Quick Resume works if you unplug your console but this completely caught me off guard. I'm not in the Alpha ring so I don't have the update to see what games you have in Quick Resume but I'm pretty sure I have like 10-12 on there, lmao
This is not getting enough attention lol. WTF that's crazy hahahaha

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
That's kind of my point though, it's weird to post about how great Microsoft is at supporting their old hardware when the Kinect is already an unsupported piece of Microsoft hardware that didn't even make it to the following gen. As I said, I don't blame them for making that decision, just surprised that people ignore it or forget it.

That perception of the Xbox ecosystem typically comes from a more holistic view of their BC efforts - bringing forth all of their hardware to be fully functional on next-gen beyond just BC (sans Kinect), taking more expansive efforts to bring forward games from their first two generations of Xbox, and to not just make games compatible but to actually make them BETTER than they were where possible.

They've also actively expressed an interest in preserving older games and bringing forward that history, and messaged to that effect publicly.

SublimeAnarky

Oct 27, 2017
Copenhagen, Denmark

I have. It doesn't. Moved it now to my One X.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
I feel like the only way you are all in on this philosophy is obviously if you like to jump between games and don't care where you can play them. I never play more than one game at a time and I never sacrifice quality for convenience. For a while I tried to get in on the Vita remote play thing but then I was like - why am I doing this? If I have time to play a game I want to sit down put my headphones on and play it on a big screen.

This is me. I'm impressed that they can pull this all off but it's just not a selling point for me.

Black Mantis

Oct 30, 2017

Yes! I had a similar experience with ePES 2021, where I think I gave it a whirl when I got my SX at launch in order to see how quickly it got into a match. I stopped and continued checking other games out and forgot about it for a few months, then fancied a game and it QR'ed exactly where I left off in the 8th minute.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018

People ignore it because it's such a niche, edge case and relatively insignificant in comparison to their other efforts at game preservation.

They've worked hard to bring BC for a decent collection of xbox and 360 games, enhanced some of the crowd favorites, kept decades old game saves and pushed in AutoHDR.

I think in the face of that, it's not seen as a massive deal that Dance Central 3 (for example) won't work on the Series consoles.

TsuWave

Oct 27, 2017
www.resetera.com

Xbox convenience is amazing

It hit me somehow when I was trying to share a video from Xbox and it had emojis that I could add and thought man that's nice . That led me into thinking about all the little convenient things I have noticed lately . Being able to use Alexa to turn my console off/on or volume up or down , Using...

seems like convenience is their thing

Deleted member 15973

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People ignore it because it's such a niche, edge case and relatively insignificant in comparison to their other efforts at game preservation.

They've worked hard to bring BC for a decent collection of xbox and 360 games, enhanced some of the crowd favorites, kept decades old game saves and pushed in AutoHDR.

I think in the face of that, it's not seen as a massive deal that Dance Central 3 (for example) won't work on the Series consoles.
The kinect is one of the best selling gaming accessories.

Oct 27, 2017
The World
Yup, I am playing more and more. Wife getting somewhat fed up even.

I have played games I would have not played otherwise - Outriders, NBA 2K (although did not get the hang of it), Control, Octopath, DQ XI. It's just amazing and games that have same save/progress on Xbox and PC are even better, I can game while attending boring meetings!

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Gah, the thread was going so well with a lot of positivity and then we've gone down the Kinect rabbit hole :-(

I've used the save sync feature forever, travelling between two places with two xboxes. Basically any physical hardware you log into becomes "yours" all your settings, background, access to agmes etc is there.

BC and xcloud etc is also great - and it's really nice to read examples of it being used in different ways.
It sounds like a great service - though I never get these invites for some reason.

It's the same with the Microsoft Rewards emails - I have all marketing preferences switched on and never get anything from either them or Xbox.
Slihgtly OT but if you want to access microsoft reward points the subreddit is pretty active. Everytime they send out an email with a quiz, or secret points or whatever people post the link there, so you don't need the email. You can dip in every so often and just pick out links/offers that apply to you and get hold of them.

Going further OT, if anyone wants help in getting the gaming quests for points, then TA have started doing handy guides on them. Most are obvious but some, like the "avoid the alien for 5 minutes" are much easier once you know about the alternate game mode.

www.trueachievements.com

Game Pass Quests: How to complete December's Quests

Here are all of the TA community's top tips and tricks to help you unlock the latest batch of Xbox Game Pass Quests and nab those sweet Microsoft Rewards Points.

MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
MS is doin something right here, I'm excited to see xclouds expansion and more exclusives hit gamepass from ms. I will have to eventually get an Xbox, because I'm loving what they're doing here.

Omniblack

Jul 10, 2020
I completely agree about the more games parts. It's only April and I've beaten more games than I did last year (granted last year was a shit show to say the least). Im feeling the whole "lowering barriers" thing they always talk about. I have access to way more games, they load in fast as hell, quick resume is a godsend(really helps with my retention) and I just got access to xcloud via iOS. They've seriously set up a games first approach that cannot be ignored.

Zyrokai

Nov 1, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Game Pass is coming to iOS, right? I am actually not a member of Game Pass yet but seriously considering now that it's coming to iOS. I just downloaded the app, lol. Except I'm a little confused because it says it's been on the App Store for 4+ years??

May 25, 2019
London
Game Pass is coming to iOS, right? I am actually not a member of Game Pass yet but seriously considering now that it's coming to iOS. I just downloaded the app, lol. Except I'm a little confused because it says it's been on the App Store for 4+ years??

That is the app to help discover and install games to your XBox or PC. The actual streaming part is being done through a web app which is currently in limited beta.