• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

aglioeoglio

Gaming Writer/Editor at The Hollywood Reporter
Verified
Feb 5, 2019
The XAC has been lauded by many, including Time Magazine that listed it as one of the best inventions of 2018, but I've heard from a few members of the disabled community that it is still quite cost prohibitive, particularly given that the base model (which is nearly twice as expensive as a regular controller) is more of a "hub" for additional add-on hardware than a fully functioning controller on its own.

Do any disabled gamers here have thoughts on the XAC? Can there be improvements to the model and price point? How do you feel about all the positive press for Microsoft recently? Are you happy with the XAC?

BRSxIgnition

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Yikes - without knowing the price I was pretty on board but if it's that much in USD just for the base controller, I don't think it's priced right for people who are likely already paying quite a bit for medical costs.

Caiusto

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, it IS expensive, but there's a bunch of organizations out there willing to make them affordable or even free for those in need.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I would assume there are very few scenarios where anyone in need is paying full price for it. And consider the cost to develop, test and product such specialized equipment.

Oct 29, 2017
It's a pretty expensive piece of tech, isn't it? Not sure what can be done about it, that is, unless they are just making it prohibitively expensive for no reason.

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
With a market that small, that still seems fairly reasonable but it does suck that it limits access. Hopefully some charities buy some up and distribute to those in financial need.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
from what I understand the hub, which Microsoft built is much cheaper and more reliable than what was out there before. but yeah it looks like the specialized add ons are still expensive. not surprising, probably not a big ROI on this kind of stuff. Microsoft doesn't make those add on devices btw, but maybe they will in the future to help reduce prices /shrug.

Last edited:

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
It's a pretty expensive piece of tech, isn't it? Not sure what can be done about it, that is, unless they are just making it prohibitively expensive for no reason.

I don't believe Microsoft is making any money on it, they may actually be taking a loss since it is so specialized but they can at least bring the cost down pretty significantly from other custom controller solutions since these aren't one off devices.

Deleted member 35478

User-requested account closure
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Pretty sure MS loses money on the controller.

And how much time, money, and resources they spent on research and rnd. It's amazing they made it, and I hope they can keep producing it. Hopefully those who need it can afford it, or can get it via some kind of organization to help with the cost. MS did a good thing with this controller.

Jeffrey Guang

Nov 4, 2017
Taiwn
Considering the R&D it requires to desgine the controller and the small scale of the production. I think Microsoft is already losing money on the thing. So while I agree it's expensive, I think it's reasonable.
Plus, if I remember correctly, all of the current solutions are even more expensive and requires additional steps and know-how to make them work.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Of course it's more expensive considering the tech and the fact that they can't mass produce it like the standard controllers.

The market for such a controller doesn't have alot of options and are likely more than happy to have anything even if it costs a bit more.

Cheaper is always better...but you have to be realistic. MS already invested already alot just creating the product and I doubt they are making money selling those.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I think I remember reading a controller before this was like 400 bucks created by a non for profit group.

Dec 16, 2017
the Xbox controller is hundreds of dollars cheaper that the alternative controllers for disabled players. It's also not that much more than other controllers.

One thing that makes the controller so wonderful is the fact that most people who purchase it will be able to plug in devices that they are already familiar with.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Jez are Windows Central had a great story on it recently

https://m.windowscentral.com/how-xbox-adaptive-controller-champions-inclusion

Quote relevant to this topic:

After spending time with Oliver and the XAC, it's hard not to notice just how complex and difficult, and frankly, expensive taming the Xbox Adaptive Controller can potentially be. Not everyone would need a set-up as expensive as Olivers, but for those that might, some of the joysticks and other peripherals are quite pricey. Additionally, while Oliver is an avid gamer with piles of computer experience, many parents who seek to leverage this technology for their youngsters certainly are not. (Oliver did not pay for any of his components out of pocket; we sent our XAC review unit along to him, and Microsoft provided the other appropriate parts.)

Last edited:
OP
OP
aglioeoglio

aglioeoglio

Verified
Feb 5, 2019
Yes, this is very true. One paraplegic gamer I spoke to uses a Quadstick which goes for over $400 in some cases. The sad truth seems to be that in order to create a lot of this hardware, there is an extensive amount of materials and tech that go into them and that, naturally, drives up the cost. However, the XAC, while a much lower entry point, price-wise, still can cost upwards of hundreds of dollars when actually made into a customizable, usable controller for the individual.

I'm just looking for information from those who are members of the disabled community. As an able-bodied individual myself, I can't speak to their experiences. It's a fascinating issue and it seems to be a good practice to also keep in mind some of the realities and hardships that are still very real for disabled gamers amid all this positive press for Xbox (much of which, of course, is very well-earned).

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Well it's not going to sell as well as stock controllers, so it needs to be priced accordingly. I'm sure the R&D on that controller was not cheap either.

Overall, it is inexpensive for what it is.

JohnnyMoses

Oct 27, 2017
$99 for an adaptive controller is an absolute steal. I'm an able bodied gamer, but I work with and sell adaptive equipment. Specialized equipment is expensive.

Ardiloso

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Isn't these things expensive? A lot of R&D and specific construction. I've never saw cheap products for disabled people.

Nov 8, 2017
In the initial press around the reveal, the interviews mentioned that previously you needed a basically custom setup from a small niche provider that cost 2x or 3x more, or thereabouts. This actually makes these sorts of things much more affordable than they used to be.

Antiquegamer

Oct 27, 2017
It's not expensive at all, actually that is quite inexpensive for specialized piece of tech. I got fighting stick couple years ago and it had mostly "standard" parts and it was $150.00 so I am not sure why you feel $99 is expensive for such a niche products that cater to very small segment of gamers.

Dec 11, 2017
Yes, this is very true. One paraplegic gamer I spoke to uses a Quadstick which goes for over $400 in some cases. The sad truth seems to be that in order to create a lot of this hardware, there is an extensive amount of materials and tech that go into them and that, naturally, drives up the cost. However, the XAC, while a much lower entry point, price-wise, still can cost upwards of hundreds of dollars when actually made into a customizable, usable controller for the individual.
The Adaptive Controller uses 3.5mm jack inputs, and it is my understanding that this has been the standard for accessibility interfaces for decades (like a tube you can blow into to control an electric wheelchair). The benefit of course being the gamer could potentially use input devices and add-ons they already own. They don't need to buy something Microsoft is selling.

But yeah, if you are starting from square one I'm sure it's an investment.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
I think given the tech behind it I would say that's a reasonable price.

I wish there was a way disabled people could get these things for free however, maybe a program that helps them have these peripherals but allows MS to not lose money, I don't know how that could be done but I wish there was a way.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
It's not about the price but about the option. I'm not sure that Microsoft makes a profit regardless, but there are presumably organizations or other means of procuring one of its not within that budget.

Microsoft deserves credit for spending R&D budget to develop a controller for what I assume is a very niche market simply because it was a good thing. Unless information comes out that gives me a reason to call out Microsoft for this I will instead praise them for it.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I'm glad to hear there are organizations that help with the cost, I don't know how prevalent they are though. I have a disability (not one I would need one of these controller for) and I would have no idea how to go about getting something like this, as many organizations as there are it's not like they can offer a lot of real-world monetary assistance necessarily

OP
OP
aglioeoglio

aglioeoglio

Verified
Feb 5, 2019
I don't believe you and i think you are making it up. No disabled gamer would think it's cost prohibitive.
I assure you I am not making this up. That would be a terrible thing to lie about and there would be no incentive for me to do such a thing. In fact, I started this thread to try to hear from more disabled gamers, whether they have positive thoughts or negative thoughts on the XAC.

Sean

Oct 25, 2017
Longview
As a disabled person myself (though not in a way that requires something like this) who lives well under the poverty line because of it - yes, it's cost prohibitive in the sense that *everything* is when you're poor. $100 is a lot no matter what it is. That's just how it goes.

In the grand scheme of things though it's a really low price for the quality that the tech is and sometimes you just have to eat those costs and this would be by far one of the easier ones to have to eat.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
Its not much more than a Xbox Controller. Yes, it is intended as an open platform for people to expand to their use case given their individual needs. But that's a great starting point and it is much less expensive than custom solutions that many will never get to even try in their lifetime.

OP
OP
aglioeoglio

aglioeoglio

Verified
Feb 5, 2019
The Adaptive Controller uses 3.5mm jack inputs, and it is my understanding that this has been the standard for accessibility interfaces for decades (like a tube you can blow into to control an electric wheelchair). The benefit of course being the gamer could potentially use input devices and add-ons they already own. They don't need to buy something Microsoft is selling.

But yeah, if you are starting from square one I'm sure it's an investment.
This is a good point and something I've brought up with those I've spoken to. The XAC is a great "hub", to borrow a term someone used to describe it, that makes it easy to use existing products, but like you said, for anyone just starting to build their rig, there are still a lot of add-ons they'd need to get and, obviously, that can add up.

Dec 15, 2017
That controller looked really expensive and its quite unique with a lot of R&D behind. Sony is selling their Wireless 1998 Dual Shock rebrand (a.k.a ps4 controller) for 60 a pop.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Accessibility equipment and devices are always expensive, such is the nature of a comparatively limited market.

The XAC itself is cheaper than an Elite controller and customised accessibility solutions that came before it. Clearly the additional input devices will push the cost up, but still keep it at a more reasonable price than we've seen in the past.

More importantly there is often financial support via local charities and tax breaks in some countries. Not always though obviously.

But, on a side note, I think the XAC also represents more than a controller. It is an example where a large corporation invests in making their existing offering more accessible to an audience largely ignored in the past. And rather than back patting, it should provide hope that other corporations will be inspired to do the same.

Some of the XAC experiences shared on Twitter are very moving. Incredible stuff really, and yes I'd hate the thought that many might still be missing out due to the cost.

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
Given the cost of similar equipment and the fact that MS isnt making a profit on this its odd how you are coming at this. Like your looking for negitives when there isn't any to be had here.

Klaphat

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
I don't think this is a good way to start a conversation, automatically assuming that the person you're conversing with is outright lying...

Then how exactly would you say to someone you think they are making it up? Because there is just no way it's true what he is saying. It makes zero sense if you actually know the price disabled gamers have to pay to play games. I have a friend who has trouble using his left hand and foot. I'm not sure what it's called in English, maybe cerebral parese, and i think everyone who have a gamer friend with a disability knows how expensive stuff is for them. Especially compared to the quality of it and how "homemade/custom made" it looks.

Feb 2, 2019
I don't believe you and i think you are making it up. No disabled gamer would think it's cost prohibitive.

Why ? Did you discuss the matter with all of them ? Do you know all of them or are you just making gross generalization to back your take ?

You're the one making stuff up. Don't speak for all the disabled.

99$ is 99$, regardless of your condition. A dollar doesn't hold more value because you have serious condition. Is it too hard for you to consider he was just giving his honest opinion ?

Last edited:

Deleted member 4044

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Then how exactly would you say to someone you think they are making it up? Because there is just no way it's true what he is saying. It makes zero sense if you actually know the price disabled gamers have to pay to play games. I have a friend who has trouble using his left hand and foot. I'm not sure what it's called in English, maybe cerebral parese, and i think everyone who have a gamer friend with a disability knows how expensive stuff is for them. Especially compared to the quality of it and how "homemade/custom made" it looks.

Yeah, the real value in this controller is that it is providing an extensible input and interface device to a major console. Not only are many accessories and controllers intended for disabled gamers expensive due to the materials used, but they also have to be made to work in kludgy ways with the gamer's choice of gaming device.

It is a relative bargain compared to what came before it.

watdaeff4

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So from what I'm reading MS is taking a loss in the controller already?

Why is this an issue besides the obvious reason?

Aug 23, 2018
It's $20 more than a spare set of Joy Cons, and $50 less than what an Xbox Elite controller costs...within the hobby of video games, $100 for a piece of technology isn't that outrageous