• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
In April 2019, Amy Jump was hired to write a script for a possible sequel, with Vikander attached.[SUP][42][/SUP] In September 2019, Ben Wheatley, Jump's husband, signed on to direct the sequel, with a planned 19 March 2021 release date and his long-time cinematographer Laurie Rose will also work on the sequel.[SUP][43][/SUP][SUP][44][/SUP] On 25 January 2021, Misha Green signed to replace Jump and Wheatley as writer and director.

Sounds like development was a mess if MGM just gave up on it.

Emily Blunt? still waiting for her to fill a kickass action role since her awesome turn in Edge of Tomorrow.
In another dimension, she was Black Widow :(

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
How relevant/in demand is Lara for a mainstream audience now really? I have no idea how the last movie did, but she just feels so attached to the 90s for me. Say what you will about the Jolie movies, but she captured the tone of the game (and the time) perfectly.

I feel like it's one of those things where if it's genuinely good it could do gangbusters. Like, Sonic, Mad Max, and Top Gun weren't super relevant to the general public (to various degrees) but when you get a new film that's actually good, that + the name recognition could be huge. Especially since Lara could partially fill the Indy void when the final movie is out next year.

Nov 8, 2017
I feel like it's one of those things where if it's genuinely good it could do gangbusters. Like, Sonic, Mad Max, and Top Gun weren't super relevant to the general public (to various degrees) but when you get a new film that's actually good, that + the name recognition could be huge. Especially since Lara could partially fill the Indy void when the final movie is out next year.

Right, a licence is beneficial to some extent but just being a good / crowd pleasing movie is the key component. If you can nail a film, the IP and film will turbocharge each other.

Frieza

Oct 25, 2017
Sony/MS could have owned the IP. Kinda wild they let it go to others like Embracer.

Tomb Raider may not be huge but it has a lot of potential. The last game trilogy wasn't bad either.
Sony already has Uncharted so it makes sense they weren't interested and Microsoft is in the middle of another acquisition so they couldn't bid. I think of the choices Embracer isn't the worst tbh at least those studios have a better home now.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Vikander was great, but with the reboot trilogy being done and the new game bridging the gap between reboot and classic, I think a whole new vision for the movies is better.

Deleted member 95442

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2021
So Tomb Raider IP is still popular. Still find it surprising neither Sony nor MS went for Square Enix West.

MS particularly, what with their tie up with CD, and getting an Uncharted rival.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
the last movie wasn't terrible but it also wasn't really good. I think a reboot would be best.

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018

Yeah I definitely feel there always room for a daring action adventure, quality + name recognition with millennials could be a recipe for success indeed. Just need a good film!

dsosarod

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
So Tomb Raider IP is still popular. Still find it surprising neither Sony nor MS went for Square Enix West.

MS particularly, what with their tie up with CD, and getting an Uncharted rival.
Like they already said here: Sony can dig up Uncharted any time they want, there is no need to buy the IP or studio attached to it; Microsoft is closing in on the ActiBlizz deal, they could not risk gettin into another acquisition.

Basically it was about timing, if they sale was after Microsoft closed the ActiBlizz deal, they probably would've surely bought that whole thing for $300M, like in a flash.

Dale Copper

Apr 12, 2018
Uncharted can fill that.

Tom Crusie is one of the most bankable stars in action movies and Sonic is a lot bigger than Tomb Raider.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I want the same thing from a film reboot as Tomb Raider as I want for the next Tomb Raider game: a returned to a more colorful and lighthearted globetrotting adventure that moves away from the strange desire to turn Tomb Raider into gloomy and gritty survival stories.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how much extra money the film rights are getting now that MGM lost them. Like is Embracer going to make their $300m back in one movie?

Oct 27, 2017
Strange to see both the game series and the movies now in position to both be rebooted.

They have the opportunity to align the character/actor and make something consistent across both if they want. Not saying it's a good idea, just interesting if someone has a combined vision for the whole franchise.

I enjoyed the 2018 movie and would liked to have seen a proper sequel with Alicia Vikander.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
If I have to sit through another movie/game about Lara Croft "becoming the Tomb Raider" 😤

May 24, 2019
I wish we got the Ben Wheatley sequel. That sounded like such a weird fit, I was real curious what it'd end up being.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
So much for that sequel, I guess.

Perhaps it's for the better, every Tomb Raider film was trash.

Catshade

Oct 26, 2017
I feel that the only way we can have a successful Tomb Raider comeback is by doing it Top Gun style i.e. bring back the main starpower of the original franchise a.k.a Angelina Jolie.