• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What would you do to an IO shield?

• Burn it

Votes: 26 11.3%
  • Beat the shit out of it with a bat

Votes: 116 50.4%
  • pour fish blood on it and dump it in shark infested water

Votes: 61 26.5%
  • feed it to the cat

Votes: 27 11.7%

• Total voters

Pasha

Banned
Jan 27, 2018
maxresdefault.jpg

Is this you OP?

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Never mind the I/O shield, I'm surprised by the number of people mentioning difficulties with the Hyper 212. It's not the absolute easiest thing to rig in, but compared to

For me personally this is the worst part
6mlWA.jpg

Never ever the pins all fit nicely on first try, it's annoying as fuck

this^ horrendous, cursed piece of shit, it's a relative breeze.

senj

Nov 6, 2017
this^ horrendous, cursed piece of shit, it's a relative breeze.
Plunger-style heatsink mounts are absolutely cursed. Half the time they require enough force to risk cracking the PCB.

It seems like the marketing copy is that they're "easier" for people somehow but I far, far prefer just putting on a sane mount that the rest of the heatsink gracefully attaches to. My NH-D15S install was smooth as butter.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Some newer motherboards have built-in I/O shields.

I think doing the front panel connectors are probably the most annoying aspect of building a PC.
maxresdefault.jpg

More recently there are motherboards which have a special extender that makes the installation of the front panel easier but for the ones that don't I still find it to be a pain in the ass.

The I/O shield can be a bit wonky especially if you don't snap the edges into place, but the front panel has always been particularly annoying for me.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
My last 3 or 4 motherboards have had them integrated, but even when they weren't I never had problems installing one. :p

Prelude

Oct 25, 2017
I've always heard about this, but I've never had any trouble putting one in. It might be an elaborate meme at this point, I don't get it.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In theory, it should be that simple. A lot of them don't sit flush or constantly pop out as you try to make sure all four corners are thoroughly in there.

I had big issues with one of these with a friend's cheap-o motherboard. Haven't had many problems since that build.
I haven't had an issue with this in like 10 years. Y'all getting motherboards out of the bargain bin or?

Sabercrusader

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, installing the CPU cooler is a bigger headache to me. I'm always so nervous when I do them since I fucked up both my Motherboard and CPU in my first gaming rig build.

The fact that they tend to slip and slide like it's a fucking slide just makes it even better!

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
I think I've had a few cuts, but I'm generally accident prone, so i didn't mind that part too much.

biggest annoyance is generally the CPU cooler, but even that's not a huge deal. The one time i dropped a brand new CPU on a carpet and bent like a quarter of the pins was pure nightmare though. I spent about an hour with a precision screwdriver bending them back in shape.

Generally, I like building PCs. Wish I had more money to do it more often.

Probably gonna build a new one in a few months for my old case, not expecting a ton of issues. since I'm planning to keep all the extra fans I've got running in there already.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
You carefully insert the shield with one corner, twist it a tiny bit and then simply give the opposing corner a solid smack with some brute force.
I have honestly no idea what you're doing if it takes you 3 hours to insert that shield. It takes literally 3 seconds.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
So if I've put this on and it didn't properly pop and I didn't realise (some of the pins from it are blocking one of my USB ports, what are my options without unscrewing the motherboard again lmao.

Pennybags

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
In 2011 when I built my first PC, I irreparably fucked up the IO shield sheet and just decided to proceed without it. Never bothered with it at all lmao.