• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
It's not bad as I thought and Hardy broke his damn back carrying this film cause everyone else seemed super disinterested. It felt like everyone but Hardy was a step down from the usual troprs. Like the main henchmen would be just one of the last goons killed in another movie at no time was he was a threat or menacing. And Skrilli seems like he would be the number 2 to the real main villain.

The action was pretty soild, but the film felt like it left and hour on the cutting room floor. There was no real bonding between venom and eddie, just that "whelp here we are". The visual design for the symbiotes sucked, you lose so much without the white spider in Venom.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
They pretty much did the best they could with a solo venom origin story. It wasn't bad but it wasn't great. Perfectly serviceable toss on and watch one night at random movie.

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017
Woman Venom was a great touch in this film, otherwise it was quite standard. More horror, more comedy next time and it'll be way better.

Hecht

Blue light comes around
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
It's not bad as I thought and Hardy broke his damn back carrying this film cause everyone else seemed super disinterested. It felt like everyone but Hardy was a step down from the usual troprs. Like the main henchmen would be just one of the last goons killed in another movie at no time was he was a threat or menacing. And Skrilli seems like he would be the number 2 to the real main villain.

The action was pretty soild, but the film felt like it left and hour on the cutting room floor. There was no real bonding between venom and eddie, just that "whelp here we are". The visual design for the symbiotes sucked, you lose so much without the white spider in Venom.
I would've thought you camped out to see this movie

Oct 25, 2017
Riz Ahmed was great as evil Musk (especially the language), and yes, woman Venom was a nice surprise.

But I couldn't really unsee the 'white man eating brown people' angle, specifically at the end. That felt 'cruel for cruelty sake' and I have zero interest in carnage.

Other than that it was surprisingly serviceable but I still don't enjoy edgy violence type characters.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
The Venom symbiote being a loser in his own world is something I didn't think would work as well as it did.

Sunnz

Apr 16, 2019
Watched it for the second time today as it's on Netflix.
Still a fun movie.
Not the best, not the worse and above average for sure.
Hardy was really good though, without him would be more on the bad side I feel.

Oct 25, 2017
Hardy carries it so damn much.
On paper that shit might be Daredevil tier but the SWAT fight scene and Hardy going all in elevated it to one of my most enjoyed cape movies in years.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Watched this the other day myself as part of the "it's up on netflix so why not?" wave
I'd say Dr Dan was WRONGED but he probably deserves better, can't believe they played the ex's new boyfriend card and he was actually a swell fella.

And yes it goes without saying that Hardy going for the ham acting angle absolutely saves the films otherwise rote and forgettable plot.

Aadiboy

Nov 4, 2017
The humor in Venom is amazing, it's like JJBA levels of absurdity. I think this series will get better as it goes on, I can't wait for Venom 2 (maybe with Tom Holland).

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017

And sources note that Venom was a problem picture and far from the polished product that grossed $856 million worldwide, until Rothman himself spent a good long time in the editing room helping to get it there.
deadline.com

Disney-Sony Standoff Ends Marvel Studios & Kevin Feige’s Involvement In ‘Spider-Man’

Disney-Sony Standoff Spins Web Of Doubt Over Kevin Feige's 'Spider-Man' Future

Scion

Oct 27, 2017
Venom was one of my favorite surprises of he last few years. Low expectations helped, but I feel they stumbled into a good movie. Funnier than it had any right to be, under 2 hours (more superhero movies should do this), weird in interesting ways, and Hardy is having a blast and it shows. Action is bog standard but most superhero movies have bland action sequences. Has me legit excited for the next one. Keep up the weird, goofy energy and it should be a good time.

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
My issue is that much like Spiderman 3's issue with Venom.

Feels like we rarely get a clean look at Venom. Its a funny movie, and decent but I wish we got to see more Venom. Not small snippets and jump cuts.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
I watched it once but didn't really like it all that much.

I wouldn't turn it off if it was on TV but I wouldn't seek it out to watch.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
It was such a good movie. It was wildly different from the usual superhero movies. I can't wait to see what they do with Venom 2.

Also Hardy and Holland would be amazing onscreen together as Spider-Man and Venom. I could see them playing off each other really well.

PsionBolt

Oct 27, 2017
I randomly caught the back half of this movie on TV the other week, and my main takeaway was "wait, this is a comedy?"

I guess the design of the Venom suit made me assume it was one of those 'darker and edgier' sorts of reboots, but nope. It's even more comical than the MCU movies. And it's a different kind of comedy; less quippy, more like everyone involved in the entire project knew it was going to be dumb as heck and were okay with that -- and so were all the characters in-universe, too. Even Venom itself finds the whole thing so-stupid-it's-funny. Heck, the movie ends on a joke that's basically "hahaha, you literally ate a guy, but he was a criminal, so it's funny! You little rascal, you!"

I don't know if I'll ever go back and watch the part I missed, but I have the strong feeling that it wouldn't give the characters any actual arcs anyway, so I'm kind of okay with leaving this movie as a weird comedic absurdity in my memory. I'd be down for a sequel of equal nonsense, though, for sure.

Binabik15

Oct 28, 2017
Isn't there supposedly a ton of stuff cut with Hardy/Eddy just talking with Venom? Screw the Snyder cut, I want *that*.

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Such a good little flick, I can't wait for the sequel with Carnage.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Slayven remember back when you thought this movie would never see the light of day?

Well at least you might still be right about Gambit.

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The worst movie I have paid to see in the last 5-10 years.

-None of the dialogue is good ("Have a nice LIFE, mister brock")
-None of the action is good (closest thing is the swat cop scene, but that is undercut by the fact that venom kills several officers that aren't corrupt, they are just responding to the mayhem)
-every single actor is wasted
-one of the worst villains I've seen in a movie
-the actual worst post-credits scene in a movie (lazy concept, lazy wig, lazy dialogue)
-plot frequently makes no sense (Brock gets in an argument with Anne trying to convince her that the life foundation is fucked up, she doesn't believe him despite the fact that brock found the incriminating email on HER LAPTOP)
-brock is set up as this great investigative journalist but literally goes off the rails in the one and only interview situation we see him in, losing his access immediately
-jenny slate's character was tossed aside like she was absolute trash
-god, the eminem song

This movie sucks, and I don't know how people have convinced themselves otherwise. The movie has two things going for it: Venom doesn't look as lame as in SM3, and the voice is okay. He doesn't say anything cool or interesting with that voice, the 'turd in the wind' line still is embarrassingly awful.

Oct 27, 2017
Loved it. It was like a hero movie right from 90s-2000s.
The dark atmosphere combined with the really funny scenes and the action was great.

Venom 2 is going to be awesome.

JAGMASK

Jan 3, 2018
I avoided it initially based on all the bad word of mouth I had heard. Finally watched it with my brother on Netflix and enjoyed it a lot. Tom Hardy going nuts in the restaurant, and the banter between Eddie and Venom were the highlights for me.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Venom is a what if X-Men and Spider-Man never happened and comic book movies continued on from the success of Blade.

It was dumb stupid fun and I loved every dumb minute of it.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Wait, is this on US Netflix? I have been using the service anyway because of Cobra Kai, but would watch this, it tops my "comic related stuff I really want to watch at least once but refuse to pay for" list.

Abi

Jun 3, 2020
Watched it a few months ago, couldn't get past the first hour. I remember nothing from the movie.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Slayven remember back when you thought this movie would never see the light of day?

Well at least you might still be right about Gambit.

I have a thought that just won't leave my head recently. Dark Phoenix and New Mutants are terrible and both ended up being made and theatrically released no less. How bad must that Gambit script have been to not even see the light of day over at Fox?

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
DearestAggressiveIsabellineshrike-size_restricted.gif

ConfusedKeyBarasingha-size_restricted.gif

The first 30 Min drags but then it gets really good. I loved it.

The swat scene was sick

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
It's basically a bad straight to video 90s action film that is lifted up by Hardy and the relationship between Brock and the symbiote, which is really entertaining, and modern day cg.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
The action was pretty soild, but the film felt like it left and hour on the cutting room floor. There was no real bonding between venom and eddie, just that "whelp here we are".

Yep. I'm a guy who doesn't know a whole lot about filmmaking, so a lot of time when I read about things like edits made to films in post production it appears pretty invisible to me and I'm surprised to find out. But I was shocked at just how obviously this movie was victim to clearly having parts of it gutted out. There was clearly more development between Eddie/Venom that should have happened and just didn't (because of the content that was cut to maintain the PG-13 rating I presume).