• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tsampikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Era is no better than any other community. The same shitty people that you don't like from elsewhere are found here. Don't let decent moderation trick you into thinking the allowed discourse reflects the hearts of these troglodytes.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I've had better luck in reality, with a few exceptions. People tend to more frequently be cold, apathetic and cruel when interacting with people purely through words.

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
I recently had to suffer my "friends" casually dropping N-bombs much to my discomfort so I definitely value this place to an extent.

Yahsper

Oct 29, 2017
Remember when we had a thread last week questioning why we had so many suicide threads and what we could do against it and how several posters said this board tends to demonize the outside world as vile and hostile, making it seem like this twisted, unrealistic echo chamber is the last safe space you can run to, discouraging posters of socializing and seeking help in the real world and connecting with humans face to face?

Well, ResetEra in action.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
You know, it's statistically very likely that a non trivial number of posters have sexually harassed someone, and perhaps even sexually assaulted them. Era is still the real world. Keep it in perspective.

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
My opinion of this place is it is mostly out of touch with the real world and worse off for it.

You can smell a lot of privilege coming from a fair amount of members who think that typing loudly in support of minorities makes them a good person.

Then we have a thread about China or somewhere in the Middle East and you see the subtle racism pop up left, right and centre.
This is pretty much my views on this forum

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
You know, it's statistically very likely that a non trivial number of posters have sexually harassed someone, and perhaps even sexually assaulted them. Era is still the real world. Keep it in perspective.
Yep, you really don't want to read what was admitted in that anonymous confession thread. This place is as racist, sexist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist and all the other shittyness of humans as any other place in the world, perhaps more so cus gaming forum, don't let the good moderation fool you. And even with the moderation, a lot of shit slips through the cracks

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
I love this forum. I feel very identified with most people here, and you guys/gals are the type of persons I would hang out in real life.

Progressive, open-minded, respectful, intelligent, funny... Most here have those attributes and I really appreciate it.

But then I socialize with people in the real world, and reality shows up, and I realize that most people in the world are nothing like people here. In fact, it's all the contrary.

It's depressing.
To be fair moderation keeps people from acting out. If the mods decided to be less strict with things I'm sure a lot of people would start saying questionable things. It's just appearance.

shuno

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I often feel the same way, but - sadly - most of the time that didn't last long. Because you have threads were people write things like 'I hope this piece of shit dies soon", "I hope he wont get old", "Someone with corona should go there and infect all the poeple and their kids"... or you have a topic were people over hundreds of pages mourn a rapist. And the moderation agrees/doesn't care. So after all... it's the same as everywhere else, while - granted - not as bad as the worst places out there.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
I dunno, I feel like if this place wasn't moderated(like the real world) then you'd be in for a shock.

Personally I find this place very aggressive and unfriendly, which is very hard to get used to. I'm glad that you and others here are all good though:)

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I dunno, I feel like if this place wasn't moderated(like the real world) then you'd be in for a shock.

Personally I find this place very aggressive and unfriendly, which is very hard to get used to. I'm glad that you and others here are all good though:)

I'm glad irl doesn't have people piling all over you to prove they're right when you get something wrong, like here.

Deleted member 8166

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I actually think era is pretty hate and spiteful a lot of times. I don't see a lot of chance for people to forgive others. There is also the problem that this forum is very US centric and issues outside of the US are not taken as serious as the ones in the US.
but of course there is also positive, like you said OP.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
It's an anonymous online video game forum. Of course it's not like the real world. The real world is more practical and straightforward, but infinitely more shitty and disappointing.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
I love this forum. I feel very identified with most people here, and you guys/gals are the type of persons I would hang out in real life.

Progressive, open-minded, respectful, intelligent, funny... Most here have those attributes and I really appreciate it.

But then I socialize with people in the real world, and reality shows up, and I realize that most people in the world are nothing like people here. In fact, it's all the contrary.

It's depressing.
To me it's a mixed bag. In the real world some people are more openminded and are much more friendly than on ResetEra. But unfortunately there are also a lot of people who are more closed-minded than on ResetEra.
Maybe it depends on what country you live in. A big part of Era seems so bitter and angry. And probably for good reasons. So i hope the world changes in a way that people don't have to feel so angry and bitter anymore. I hope Resetera can contribute to a positive change in the world. But then i see reactions towards this forum from outside and i see just more anger. It's frustrating to see.

I'm much more comfortable living in the real world than on Resetera, to be honest. Of course, i live a pretty easy life compared to others, i must confess.

Bitch Pudding

Oct 25, 2017
PolEra has become a progressive bubble because conservatives and centrists who are of course still here know what's good for them if they don't want to get banned (as in: just don't participate in any political topic.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
I actually think era is pretty hate and spiteful a lot of times. I don't see a lot of chance for people to forgive others. There is also the problem that this forum is very US centric and issues outside of the US are not taken as serious as the ones in the US.
but of course there is also positive, like you said OP.

Is your name a reference to Tad Williams' Memory Sorrow and Thorn?

Ashlette

Oct 28, 2017
Remember when we had a thread last week questioning why we had so many suicide threads and what we could do against it and how several posters said this board tends to demonize the outside world as vile and hostile, making it seem like this twisted, unrealistic echo chamber is the last safe space you can run to, discouraging posters of socializing and seeking help in the real world and connecting with humans face to face?

Well, ResetEra in action.
So you say this forum is unrealistic because you think people set themselves up for disappointment, worsening their mood altogether. Fair enough.

But I don't understand what you mean by "twisted". Can you specify on that?

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes I wonder if I always end up with the wrong people. It cant be that there are just crazy people out there.

For instance I recall a meeting we once had were our boss said she'd post a job opening and one colleague commented on m/w/d (f/m/d) being standard now and how the latter is made up bullshit.

I was so taken by surprise I couldn't even process. While I was puzzled and in disbelieve others agreed. Wtf.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
I would be severely depressed if real life people acted as if they were on era.

Aya

To me it's a mixed bag. In the real world some people are more openminded and are much more friendly than on ResetEra. But unfortunately there are also a lot of people who are more closed-minded than on ResetEra.
Maybe it depends on what country you live in. A big part of Era seems so bitter and angry. And probably for good reasons. So i hope the world changes in a way that people don't have to feel so angry and bitter anymore. I hope Resetera can contribute to a positive change in the world. But then i see reactions towards this forum from outside and i see just more anger. It's frustrating to see.

I'm much more comfortable living in the real world than on Resetera, to be honest. Of course, i live a pretty easy life compared to others, i must confess.

This post describes to the dot my experience with this forum. while I enjoy spending time within this online community, I have to say it's not a friendly place (with the odd exception) and I know it's not just me as I've seen this posted time and again across the board. Sure there are little churches here and there like in any other big communities, and naturally they mostly add up to the feeling of exclusion, but it feels weird coming from a self described progressive/leftist place.

Yahsper

Oct 29, 2017
So you say this forum is unrealistic because you think people set themselves up for disappointment, worsening their mood altogether. Fair enough.

But I don't understand what you mean by "twisted". Can you specify on that?
This place is twisted and unrealistic, much like any other echo chamber. It's twisted for reasons as many others already have said here in a better way, for example:
My opinion of this place is it is mostly out of touch with the real world and worse off for it.

You can smell a lot of privilege coming from a fair amount of members who think that typing loudly in support of minorities makes them a good person.

Then we have a thread about China or somewhere in the Middle East and you see the subtle racism pop up left, right and centre.
which is right on the money. There are alot of people posturing here, trying to give themselves a feeling of self-worth by showing how morally superior they are, and the group of people 'worthy' of their approval gets smaller by the day.

And I'm not saying this forum is unrealistic because people set themselves up for disappointment, worsening their mood altogether. That's only part of it. This forum is unrealistic because, like many others here have already said, there is a lot of darkness beneath the surface. People put on a good face to appease the moderators or they have a very US-centric view on the world. This place is unrealistic because it groups opinions based on threads, instead of based on posters. You start comparing a faceless hive mind to real people. You see a thread with 100 different opinions and you may agree with 80% of those opinions, and you just ignore the 20% you don't agree with and step away thinking this is a great place.

But there could be a different thread with a different subject, and again there are 100 different opinions of which there are 80 you agree with and 20 you disagree with, but guess what, it could just as well be those 20 opinions you heftily disagreed with came from people who you agreed with in the previous thread.

But since it's all a faceless heap of opinions, you keep thinking how great this message board is since it's still 80/20. But for many here, if you meet someone in real life and they have a 'wrong opinion' even one time, they're trash and you should bail out.

I'd love to see what would happen if people here started using the ignore button on every post they disagreed with. I think they'd be shocked how fast this board becomes a wasteland.

The lesson here is not that Resetera is just as bad as 'real life'. The lesson here is that if you enjoy your time on Resetera, you can also enjoy your time in the real world and it's not all that terrible. Sure, you may meet an asshole or two, but there are still alot of people out there that mean well.

Horo

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
User banned (permanent): Bad-faith trolling
I take it you mostly spend time around era then, as we don't exactly have what you call a good reputation with the wider internet.

Just to quote our 'Know your meme' article for starters:

Mod Edit: Removed quote containing homophobic slur.

Someone even made a site where people can vote for the most stupid bans! (not gonna link it just to be safe)

Last edited by a moderator:

Ashlette

Oct 28, 2017
I take it you mostly spend time around era then, as we don't exactly have what you call a good reputation with the wider internet.

Someone even made a site where people can vote for the most stupid bans! (not gonna link it just to be safe)
A goobergater who wrote that article is now the wider internet?

That's all I can say about that opinion you posted. I could call Nintendo the worst company ever and make some sockpuppets that parrot me, but that doesn't make me the wider internet.

Sorry that I sound condescending. But if you think that's what the internet thinks of us, then congrats, you let the goobers get to you.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
Era is an echo chamber. It does more harm than good sometimes. There are a lot of great discussions to be had, sure. But it doesn't always move things forward.

Also this:

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019

If we assumed the wider Internet was limited to what you're describing here, perhaps there's a reason why some people don't venture out. Seriously the best justification you can find is a site that uses slurs and terms like SJWs?

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
I guess living in New Jersey, having a pretty thick skin and just being lucky enough to not deal with any bullshit, my life as a minority has been relatively stress free. I've dealt with casual racism, but nothing that's seriously debilitating or life threatening. Just dumb shit that makes me roll my eyes and I'd obviously rather not hear ever again, of course.

Some of you are really cool. Some of you are depressed as hell and need serious help. Some of you are hopeful, but have are far too idealistic, thus, set yourself up for disappointment. Yeah, everyone should have more empathy and be nice. It should be that simple, but it isn't.

Human beings are dumb, semi hairless apes that somehow figured out to hurl themselves to a big floating rock in space. There is a lot of basic stuff we gotta figure out before world peace, acceptance and tolerance ever become a thing. Maybe we'll get there, hopefully, but don't expect it anytime soon.

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
My main problem with era is that it is very west-centric, but that problem is even worse in other relatively large forums like reddit so I can put up with it here

Horo

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
A goobergater who wrote that article is now the wider internet?

That's all I can say about that opinion you posted. I could call Nintendo the worst company ever and make some sockpuppets that parrot me, but that doesn't make me the wider internet.

Sorry that I sound condescending. But if you think that's what the internet thinks of us, then congrats, you let the goobers get to you.

You need more examples? i can give you more.

Home

The Escapist is an outlet dedicated to providing our readers and viewers with smart coverage of video games, movies, tv shows and everything geek culture.

au.trustpilot.com

ResetEra is rated "Average" with 3.2 / 5 on Trustpilot

Do you agree with ResetEra's TrustScore? Voice your opinion today and hear what 1 customer has already said.

Eurogamer.net

Bad puns and video games since 1999.

Why is ResetEra often linked when it comes to game (or Switch) related news? - Nintendo Switch

For Nintendo Switch on the Nintendo Switch, a GameFAQs message board topic titled "Why is ResetEra often linked when it comes to game (or Switch) related news?" - Page 16.

www.dayonepatch.com

D1P, what are your thoughts on Resetera?

It's is the second gaming forum I visit in addition to this one. Do you post there? Do you dig posting there or nah? The place's rep seem to range from positive to controversial at times, and was curious what everyone here thinks about it.

Just what i got with a quick google search.

Ashlette

Oct 28, 2017
This place is twisted and unrealistic, much like any other echo chamber. It's twisted for reasons as many others already have said here in a better way, for example:

which is right on the money. There are alot of people posturing here, trying to give themselves a feeling of self-worth by showing how morally superior they are, and the group of people 'worthy' of their approval gets smaller by the day.

And I'm not saying this forum is unrealistic because people set themselves up for disappointment, worsening their mood altogether. That's only part of it. This forum is unrealistic because, like many others here have already said, there is a lot of darkness beneath the surface. People put on a good face to appease the moderators or they have a very US-centric view on the world. This place is unrealistic because it groups opinions based on threads, instead of based on posters. You start comparing a faceless hive mind to real people. You see a thread with 100 different opinions and you may agree with 80% of those opinions, and you just ignore the 20% you don't agree with and step away thinking this is a great place.

But there could be a different thread with a different subject, and again there are 100 different opinions of which there are 80 you agree with and 20 you disagree with, but guess what, it could just as well be those 20 opinions you heftily disagreed with came from people who you agreed with in the previous thread.

But since it's all a faceless heap of opinions, you keep thinking how great this message board is since it's still 80/20. But for many here, if you meet someone in real life and they have a 'wrong opinion' even one time, they're trash and you should bail out.

I'd love to see what would happen if people here started using the ignore button on every post they disagreed with. I think they'd be shocked how fast this board becomes a wasteland.

The lesson here is not that Resetera is just as bad as 'real life'. The lesson here is that if you enjoy your time on Resetera, you can also enjoy your time in the real world and it's not all that terrible. Sure, you may meet an asshole or two, but there are still alot of people out there that mean well.
You keep making claims yet you don't back them up. How does Era have a "very US-centric view on the world"? How does putting on a good face for the moderators indicate an issue, when you do something similar when you, for example, head to work?

Did you look up "ResetEra bad" or something? You can look up "<site> bad" and find similar stuff from people with their own opinions.

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017
Well this place is highly moderated, more than most forums/social platforms. What you are seeing is the result of a highly curated space.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019

Home

The Escapist is an outlet dedicated to providing our readers and viewers with smart coverage of video games, movies, tv shows and everything geek culture.

au.trustpilot.com

ResetEra is rated "Average" with 3.2 / 5 on Trustpilot

Do you agree with ResetEra's TrustScore? Voice your opinion today and hear what 1 customer has already said.

Eurogamer.net

Bad puns and video games since 1999.

Why is ResetEra often linked when it comes to game (or Switch) related news? - Nintendo Switch

For Nintendo Switch on the Nintendo Switch, a GameFAQs message board topic titled "Why is ResetEra often linked when it comes to game (or Switch) related news?" - Page 16.

Maybe do a Google search and be more selective because most of these are shitty. Seriously GameFAQs?

My main problem with era is that it is very west-centric, but that problem is even worse in other relatively large forums like reddit so I can put up with it here

Now this I can agree with, I'm not sure if it's just the nature of being an English forum or not that contributes to this but we can all do better.

Horo

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
You keep making claims yet you don't back them up. How does Era have a "very US-centric view on the world"? How does putting on a good face for the moderators indicate an issue, when you do something similar when you, for example, head to work?

Did you look up "ResetEra bad" or something? You can look up "<site> bad" and find similar stuff from people with their own opinions.

No i just made a google search for resetera, sure there are plenty of positive stuff about us too (great source of gaming news, nice hangout for developers, etc) , but the majority of people talking about our community that i've seen aren't exactly positive.

Ashlette

Oct 28, 2017
No i just made a google search for resetera, sure there are plenty of positive stuff about us too (great source of gaming news, nice hangout for developers, etc) , but the majority of people talking about our community that iv'e seen aren't exactly positive.

Look up ResetEra on Bing. It will tell you who really despises this site - goobergaters. Not the wider internet.

Jun 10, 2018
The site is progressive in the sense it openly supports the common causes oft repeated in media. So, things like women's rights, LGBTQIA+ advocacy, climate change, and a general push for minority equality are things I would say most members here support.

It is however when oppression or issues specific to a case/minority group are brought up the diet racism, condescension, vitriol, antagonistic argumentation, and ignorance are dialed up to a level equal to what I see in the offline population. There are many members here, just like everywhere else, who sorely lack in understanding intersectionality and instead only wish to analyze the world with a rudimentary set of colors.

I also concur with the notion without the moderation quite a number of users would be posting more honestly - and not for the better. Hell, the very fact the mod team is conducting site-wide meetings with minority groups on how they can better protect them from bad faith actors is proof enough.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
then I socialize with people in the real world
Try to socialize with other people. Also don't try to meet the "perfect people", you won't find them here neither because there's no such thing. Everyone has their flaws and don't put your standards too high. Being progressive doesn't mean you have to commit yourself 100%. You can be very progressive in some and backwards in other areas. Just make sure the absolut most important views of theirs align with yours and have a great time.

Also what Advance.Wars.Sgt. said, some topics are moderated strictly so you won't find people in threads posting what actually gets moderated although it might be their true opinion. Or they don't post in such topics at all so you only see the positive stuff.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
I wouldn't trade the real world for era but man if the real world had even a little crumb of the empathy this website shows I would be so much happier.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
I mean, I love Era, but it's a good thing it's not like real life, if it was, people with dissenting opinions from major issues to minor would be removed from society entirely without hesitation. People would be afraid to speak their mind in fear of becoming pariah's while many pantomime whatever is considered ideal to get by. Doesn't it sound a bit like dystopian? I happen to agree with ERA's consensus, otherwise i wouldn't be here but even as I'm typing this there's a part at the back of my mind worried that speaking candidly will be met with a response from the mod team.

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
Now this I can agree with, I'm not sure if it's just the nature of being an English forum or not that contributes to this but we can all do better.
It's most likely the nature of being an English forum. I post in Chinese social media platforms/forums and it's the other way around (very China-centric). I don't expect either to change and think it is unfair to do so, but I do wish there are more discussions from other perspectives on here, or at least more understanding about where others might be coming from.

Deleted member 4353

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nah im good. Era's diet racism and blindness to it are infuriating, it takes the worst traits of liberal whiteness and magnifies it. lol this forum is "woke" on every issue, most other minorities save for black people. Where I live, in a city, is fairly liberal, but not infuriatingly condescending and the racism is there but i can deal with it when face to face vs online.

But on the other hand, the other major video game forum is basically a hard core right forum now so my grandpas teaching kicks in; never pick the nazi. So I come here.

Thus is not a malicious criticism of the site, just an observation from afar (ie. Am here a couple of times a day a few minutes at a time, so am not entirely attached to the site whilst jumping in; basically I can be banned tomorrow and I'd respond with a shrug), the ResetEra bubble is very real, and I'm afraid the site does end up being on the side of being a little too careful at times historically at moderating discussions and not bring inclusive (ironically), and feel there are more like-minded people here than not--which in theory makes this a safe place, but denies the reality of the real world.

I don't even necessarily think the way the site is moderated is wrong, just that there have been (presumably) unintended consequences from it.

This two posts are so correct. The diet racism is so great on this site i can't believe it sometimes. Maybe it's a blindspot because so many people here are west centric i dont know. The John Boyega topics, the Womens World cup topic in particular filled with so much straight up racism from certain fans.

The site is an echo chamber with a feedback loop. People here like to be out for blood all the time on certain things that just shouldn't be a big deal. The site can be straight up mean and malicious.

The corporate boot-licking is also nauseating for a site that is supposedly progressive. The fan boy shit that happens with a certain comic book base. Enjoying and laughing when something you dont like fails. This site has certain preferences and you will be shouted down if you dont agree.

I'm glad you like it OP but nah, this site straight up sucks some times. I've accepted the fact that no internet forum will ever be perfect, and this place is just alright to me.

For me, its come to the point now where I'm so disillusioned in this site that I just dont care if i get banned anymore.

Oct 31, 2017
If the world was like Era it'd be a depressing hellhole. I don't know where you guys hang out but my friends and the people I meet outside are generally chill and fun. Not everything is about politics.

It's weird to see posters here paint the world as this totally fine place but this specific forum is the depressing hellhole.

I live in a world full of mostly conservative people. There is very little drama. I'm not complaining.

I appreciate the honestly of this post.

It seems like for many here, it's harder to enjoy certain privileges that your less diverse spaces in real life grant you.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, in the real world I can walk down the street and not hear someone bitch about Star Wars or the quality of family films like Onward.

Ashlette

Oct 28, 2017
I feel that the people who call this site a hivemind have been dogpiled at least once.

I encourage those people to look into why they were dogpiled in the first place.

Based from my experiences being corrected, Resettlers are willing to teach those who are willing to learn. If they resorted to insults instead, they probably reached a point where they A) directly went hostile or B) changed from being helpful to being hostile.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.