• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

moustascheman

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
I was thinking that a Neverwinter Nights style camera would be good for BG3. Not exactly Isometric but also not full third person like most AAA WRPGs today.

Speaking of NWN though, I do hope that despite whatever we get there's a lot of mod tools that'll let users create custom content like there was in that game. The modding and user-made content was one of the best things about NWN and it's something that I feel like every DnD game needs.
TBH, I'd prefer a wild card option. Let's try something new, whether it's great or horrible, at least it'll be exciting.
You say that now, but how will you feel when they go with Witcher 1's rhythm based combat.

justjim89

Nov 16, 2017
Is there any cross-save option for BG1&2 on Switch? I really need to actually get deep into the first two games at some point, and being able to take them from PC to Switch would be really handy.

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
From the Larian newsletter that arrived today:

60x6WtM.png

I'm assuming that is a mind flayer larvae... Eww

Edit: I'm always too slow!

Interesting passage there. Protagonist's been infected with a Mind Flayer?

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
I'd probably still prefer RTwP but I trust Larian to do turn-based correctly if they would rather go that way, which I think is incredibly likely to happen.

The only thing that'd legit disappoint me is if it's in some third-person camera, even if it's on the level of something like DA:I.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
I could see them borrowing from the BG2 slayer mechanic to let you like temporarily turn into a mindflayer for big stat boosts but some negative side effects. I know temporary ceremorphosis isnt a thing but its D&D so anything can be explained some way.

Meta

Oct 29, 2017
I'm hoping for RTwP as it does a much better job with scaling effects with durations (especially damage over time), but I'm expecting turn based.

Something along the lines of Dragon Age: Origins with co-op would be interesting if they can figure out pausing with multiple players.

Yiepekaiyei

Nov 20, 2017
Brazil
If you like garbage sure.
I don't see what you're doing here then if you find past BG games garbage.

On the topic, I trust Larian to do a awesome job with turn based, so it could be either really, for me. But it would be funny if this game turns out to be the Dragon Age Origins successor Bioware never managed to deliver.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
Controversial hot take time :

I hope the Mokap means we get a more cinematic approach to story telling. A close up camera for conversation would be a good start. Also hoping for camera system like DAO or NWN, withoption for "over-the-shoulder" perspective and top down perspective, I love using the former for exploration and the latter for combat.

I have trouble getting invested to DOS and Pillars world/characters when I never saw them up close. The finale to both games is like a fart in the wind compared to Dragon Age Origins's.

*RUN

As for combat system, I'm fine either way. Combat is not necessarily what I love about the genre.

Mazzo

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
I hope it is turn based and that I can play the whole thing in local coop mode with my partner just like I did with Divinity OS2.

CurseVox

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts (USA)
Super hype for this. I'm hoping they stick with an isometric view with the graphics and effects turned up to 11. Ideally I'd also like realtime combat with the option to pause battles for the more strategic and complicated encounters or higher difficulty levels.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
why not just have the option for both? I mean there's nothing wrong with either one. It's more preference.

Because you need to water down encounter design so encounters work at somewhat acceptable level for both combat systems.

Sticking to one actually lets them to push limits of said system as they don't need consider how it could negatively affect another experience.

Feb 12, 2019
Y'all fighting between RTwP and TB over here and I'm honestly fine with either. After how much I enjoyed Original Sin 2, I trust Larian enough to make something interesting.

That said, I'd be willing to bet that Baldur's Gate 3 is going to be turn-based. Beyond the part where Larian's most recent (critically acclaimed, commercially successful) RPGs are both turn-based, if you're a suit at Hasbro or WotC and you see how Pillars of Eternity II and Tyranny (two games designed as a throwback to the Infinity Engine) under-performed, I wonder how much you'd want to invest in something using that system. Then again, it seems like Pathfinder Kingmaker did pretty well for itself (and that Wrath of the Righteous Kickstarter seems to be doing very well.) so who knows?

Either way, they're going to have to make some changes and additions to make D&D 5th Edition interesting in a CRPG format. It's a ruleset that works great in tabletop because it leaves a lot of wiggle room for the GM, but that doesn't exactly work in a computer game where everything should work the same all the time.

DorkLord54

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan
I've had the first two in my backlog forever, might finally playthru them.

And I'm guessing this'll be is with the option for both turn-based and RTwP so thatold heads and people brought in via DOS are satisfied.
I'm gonna disagree. I feel like it's always either too easy and plays itself or is too hard and stresses me the fuck out.
There really is no in-between wrt RTwP. Even when simplified like in Kotor it still oscillates between piss-easy and "Jesus Christ, please stop missing rolls, this is urgent!"

Dandy

Oct 25, 2017
I've watched the video a few times now, and every time Swen says "return to Baldur's Gate for the first time in 20 years" I get such a surge of emotion.

Part of me really wishes they hadn't made this BG3... Make it Waterdeep, or Shadowdale, or something else. By calling it BG3, they've set the expectations for many aspects of the game in a very specific place(iso, rtwp, etc). I just want them to make the best D&D/Forgotten Realms game they can, whatever it looks like. If that means deviating from the original games drastically, they should do that. I just know that come the 27th there is going to be a very loud segment of fans of the originals who are going to be disappointed no matter what.

Last edited:

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
One of the product guys at work has been running D&D sessions and I've played some with him. D&D is totally turn-based. Larian is a maestro at turn-based combat. So, that seems the safe option to me but who knows?

TBH, I'd prefer a wild card option. Let's try something new, whether it's great or horrible, at least it'll be exciting.

That's crazy talk.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
I've watched the video a few times now, and every time Swen says "return to Baldur's Gate for the first time in 20 years" I get such a surge of emotion.

Part of me really wishes they hadn't made this BG3... Make it Waterdeep, or Shadowdale, or something else. By calling it BG3, they've set the expectations for many aspects of the game in a very specific place(iso, rtwp, etc). I just want them to make the best D&D/Forgotten Realms game they can, whatever it looks like. If that means deviating from the original games drastically, they should do that. I just know that come the 27th there is going to be a very loud segment of fans of the originals who are going to be disappointed no matter what.

Basically where I'm at. Baldur's Gate was a big part of my childhood, and having its name used, with all that cache attached, for something that isn't Baldur's Gate is going to sting.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Real Time with pause is Baldur's Gate so hoping for something that at least resembles the older games. Otherwise why even call it Baldur's Gate 3 considering its not a continuation to the Bhaalspawn story? Just for marketing?

Dandy

Oct 25, 2017
Real Time with pause is Baldur's Gate so hoping for something that at least resembles the older games. Otherwise why even call it Baldur's Gate 3 considering its not a continuation to the Bhaalspawn story? Just for marketing?
I mean, yeah. I'm pretty sure marketing/brand recognition is a huge part of why they went with BG3 over something else.

My enjoyment of BG/BG2 had less to do with gameplay mechanics, and more to do with story/characters/world, so the specifics of the former isn't all that important to me.

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
One of the product guys at work has been running D&D sessions and I've played some with him. D&D is totally turn-based. Larian is a maestro at turn-based combat. So, that seems the safe option to me but who knows?

That's crazy talk.
...How is it crazy talk? BG1 RTwP was a revelation to me and many others I think, I don't know if it was the first game to use the system, but it was my first encounter with it, and I'd it's the same for many others. I think doing something new would be a cool way to re-introduce the series to new and old fans. If they can figure out a good alternative, at least.

Regarding remaining faithful to D&D - Most TTRPGs are turn based because of the table dynamics, but translating the combat to video game form usually doesn't work that well. D&D combat is OK for TTRPGs (though I'm not a huge fan of it personally, it can slow a session to a complete halt) - but there's a big difference in how combat feels between the table and video games, and most games that go super accurate in terms of D&D rules tend to feel very slow and boring IMO (like ToEE, which resonated well with D&D superfans, but I found it super boring.) You must make changes no matter what you're going for.
TTRPG game design revolves around role playing and creativity, something the player is much more limited in when it comes to video games. Once you remove the actual role playing from the combat, it usually leaves quite a bit to be desired.
So, I wouldn't say TB is necessarily safer because it's closer to D&D, you'd have to make a shit-load of adaptations no matter which way you go.

Garbrenn

Oct 30, 2017
I would prefer TB combat, as I trust Larian implicitly with that style of combat. But if it's real time I'm sure they'll manage to win me over.

I might try real time with a new RPG, is Pathfinder or Pillars better for someone who only really plays Turn Based by wants to try real time?

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
I might try real time with a new RPG, is Pathfinder or Pillars better for someone who only really plays Turn Based by wants to try real time?

Deadfire, imo. It's built to be a real-time videogame combat system rather than a real-time adaptation of a PnP system that's still fundamentally turn based under the hood, and to me it really shows. The AI combat-scripting and variable combat speeds also really help in getting comfortable with the system.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
I would prefer TB combat, as I trust Larian implicitly with that style of combat. But if it's real time I'm sure they'll manage to win me over.

I agree with Anno, the Pillars series has an excellent RTWP system, with plenty of QOL improvements such as the variable combat speeds that help.

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
...How is it crazy talk? BG1 RTwP was a revelation to me and many others I think, I don't know if it was the first game to use the system, but it was my first encounter with it, and I'd it's the same for many others. I think doing something new would be a cool way to re-introduce the series to new and old fans. If they can figure out a good alternative, at least.

Regarding remaining faithful to D&D - Most TTRPGs are turn based because of the table dynamics, but translating the combat to video game form usually doesn't work that well. D&D combat is OK for TTRPGs (though I'm not a huge fan of it personally, it can slow a session to a complete halt) - but there's a big difference in how combat feels between the table and video games, and most games that go super accurate in terms of D&D rules tend to feel very slow and boring IMO (like ToEE, which resonated well with D&D superfans, but I found it super boring.) You must make changes no matter what you're going for.
TTRPG game design revolves around role playing and creativity, something the player is much more limited in when it comes to video games. Once you remove the actual role playing from the combat, it usually leaves quite a bit to be desired.
So, I wouldn't say TB is necessarily safer because it's closer to D&D, you'd have to make a shit-load of adaptations no matter which way you go.

The first Baldur's Gate did not have the massive weight of decades of expectation and legacy on its shoulders. I believe there is a time and a place to play that wild card but I honestly don't think now is a good time.

You literally said if it turned out terrible as a result that would be fine. I really don't think a lot of fans feel that way.

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Committed whichever way it goes; please give us the transitional option to load our BGII endgame Save for narrative & character bonuses

johancruijff

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Committed whichever way it goes; please give us the transitional option to load our BGII endgame Save for narrative & character bonuses
not happening

Larian representative on reddit

It will not be necessary to have played BG 1&2. Like the Divinity series, any story or lore necessary for the game will be included; hypothetically there could be some minor references or easter eggs that people who have played the earlier games could notice, which a new player would miss.

Link

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
I'm hoping it's on console and gets a switch port with cross save functionality like D:OS2 got! Being able to go from your PC to the Switch was actually really cool for such a big game.