• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Bloomberg - The 25 wealthiest dynasties on the planet control $1.4 trillion

The numbers are mind-boggling: $70,000 per minute, $4 million per hour, $100 million per day.

That's how quickly the fortune of the Waltons, the clan behind Walmart Inc., has been growing since last year's Bloomberg ranking of the world's richest families.

At that rate, their wealth would've expanded about $23,000 since you began reading this. A new Walmart associate in the U.S. would've made about 6 cents in that time, on the way to an $11 hourly minimum.
The Walton fortune has swelled by $39 billion, to $191 billion, since topping the June 2018 ranking of the world's richest families.

Other American dynasties are close behind in terms of the assets they've accrued. The Mars family, of candy fame, added $37 billion, bringing its fortune to $127 billion. The Kochs, the industrialists-cum-political-power-players, tacked on $26 billion, to $125 billion.
So it goes around the globe. America's richest 0.1% today control more wealth than at any time since 1929, but their counterparts in Asia and Europe are gaining too. Worldwide, the 25 richest families now control almost $1.4 trillion in wealth, up 24% from last year.
A notable addition this year: the Saudi royal family.

The House of Saud is worth $100 billion, based on the cumulative payouts royal family members are estimated to have received over the past 50 years from the Royal Diwan, the executive office of the king.

That's a lowball figure. After all, oil giant Saudi Aramco, the linchpin of the Saudi economy, is the world's most profitable company. The kingdom is hoping to take it public at a $2 trillion valuation.
Tallying dynastic dollars isn't an exact science. Fortunes backed by decades and sometimes centuries of assets and dividends can obfuscate the true extent of a family's holdings. The net worth of the Rothschilds or Rockefellers, for instance, is too diffuse to value. Clans whose wealth is currently unverifiable are also absent. But of those we can track, most are reaping the rewards of ultra-low interest rates, tax cuts, deregulation and innovation. Koch Industries, for instance, has a venture-capital arm. The latest generation of Waltons is establishing its own enterprises.

Other big gainers include the owners of fashion house Chanel and Italy's Ferrero family, whose brands include Nutella spread and Tic Tac mints. In India, the fortune of the Ambani family swelled $7 billion, to $50 billion.

1. Walton / Walmart, 190.5bn
  2. Mars / Mars, 126.5bn
  3. Koch / Koch Industries, 124.5bn
  4. Al Saud / NA,100bn
  5. Wertheimer / Chanel, 57.6bn
  6. Hermes / Hermes, 53.1bn
  7. Van Damme, De Spoelberch, De Mevius / Anheuser-Busch InBev, 52.9bn
  8. Boehringer, Von Baumbach / Boehringer Ingelheim, 51.9bn
  9. Ambani / Reliance Industries, 50.4bn
  10. Cargill, MacMillan / Cargill, 42.9bn
  11. Thomson / Thomson Reuters, 39.1bn
  12. Kwok / Sun Hung Kai Properties, 38bn
  13. Chearavanont / Charoen Pokphand Group, 37,9bn
  14. Johnson (Fidelity) / Fidelity Investments, 37.4bn
  15. Cox / Cox Enterprises, 36.9bn
  16. Quandt / BMW, 35bn
  17. Pritzker / Hyatt Hotels, 33.7bn
  18. Mulliez / Auchan, 33bn
  19. Johnson (SC) / SC Johnson, 33bn
  20. Albrecht / Aldi, 32.6bn
  21. Rausing / Tetra Laval, 32.5bn
  22. Hartono / Bank Central Asia, 32.5bn
  23. Lauder / Estee Lauder, 32.3bn
  24. Hoffman, Oeri / Roche, 31.3bn
  25. Ferrero / Ferrero, 29.8bn

Last edited:

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
In an ideal world Walmart's employees should be highest paid workers in the world.

I wish I could stop shopping there, but it's hard to beat their food prices.

Oct 27, 2017
Why does era hate those who are successful? What if it was you? Would you feel good having to share your hard earned wealth with the commoners? Without the benefit of extreme wealth, people wouldn't create things. I know a couple of millionaires personally and they are good people! Pull yourself up by your bootstraps. Give a firm handshake. Work on your resume. Am I covering all my bases yet guys? /s
These people are quite literally worse than ticks and mosquitoes combined.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
How is Auchan in that list.

Havent seen one in years ever since the last one I know closed.

Edit: NVM , thats just in the US, didnt know they are in EU and French based what lol.

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not going to hate someone solely for being rich, but man this just straight up shouldn't a thing

It has to be borderline impossible to ever spend that kind of money. I couldn't even if I tried.

Box

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lancashire
silence_of_the_lambs_0.jpg

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
Why does era hate those who are successful? What if it was you? Would you feel good having to share your hard earned wealth with the commoners? Without the benefit of extreme wealth, people wouldn't create things. I know a couple of millionaires personally and they are good people! Pull yourself up by your bootstraps. Give a firm handshake. Work on your resume. Am I covering all my bases yet guys? /s
These people are quite literally worse than ticks and mosquitoes combined.

I agree with this. Not a fan of the ' You're rich so it's disgusting' mantra.

Oct 27, 2017
It's okay guys. They earned it... totally all theirs fair and square. The rich and powerful didn't fix the system to win or anything like that.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
They can make more per minute than most people make in a year. It is actually quite sickening the imbalance of wealth in the world.

TheMan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Theoretically, given unlimited resources, how could one go about dismantling this systen

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
In an ideal world Walmart's employees should be highest paid workers in the world.

I wish I could stop shopping there, but it's hard to beat their food prices.
And that's where they have a lot of people by the balls. So many low income families HAVE to make their money stretch so they go to WalMart because they can usually undercut any competitors by a significant margin.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Is it any wonder they work overtime to pit the poor-as-dirt MAGA folk against the socially liberal and people of color? The ruling elite prop up mass media on both sides to encourage hyper-combative messaging and spectacle-based conflict to keep us distracted while they run away with our bottom line and leave us all holding the check.

Essentially the "letthemfight.gif" on infinite loop for the masses. How do you illuminate and smash apart such a system in a way that every dumbass can understand?

I have no doubt they'd be happy as clams if either Trump or Biden are the 2020 elect. Both of them are status quo incarnate - just different flavors of status quo. To be clear I'm not saying that they are same, but the rich quite frankly don't care who is being hurt or what happens to the immigration system as long as they have someone in power who is unwilling to tax the rich or challenge their wealth extraction methods/systems in any substantial way. Of course the really sociopathic rich who don't understand or more likely don't care about the impending collapse of this country are the ones donating to Trump 2020 for them last minute double down tax breaks and the ability to gobble up whatever juicy remainders of wealth haven't been extracted from the poor yet.

It's going to be a rough couple of decades ahead if we don't choose someone who is willing to challenge this irresponsibly short-sighted system. We have no adults at the top. Just greedy animals who favor themselves the gods of our time.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
$4 million an hour. I doubt I could even responsibly give away that much money so quickly.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
No Rockefeller on that list?
Excluded:

Net worth figures are as of July 19, 2019. The ranking excludes first-generation fortunes and those fortunes controlled by a single heir. Clans whose source of wealth is too diffuse or opaque to be valued are also excluded.

The net worth of the Rothschilds or Rockefellers, for instance, is too diffuse to value. Clans whose wealth is currently unverifiable are also absent.