• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are you an r/sino poster?
Think about it, why would any of us give a crap about this situation if we didn't care about the people living in Taiwan and Hong Kong? Why do your concerns about racism not apply to those people? Is it racist to dislike the CCP's policies?
Nope, but the person who said "the world will be a Chinese puppet state soon" was being pretty racist, yeah.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
Think about it, why would any of us give a crap about this situation if we didn't care about the people living in Taiwan and Hong Kong? Why do your concerns about racism not apply to those people? Is it racist to dislike the CCP's policies?

No, the discrepancy in the reaction of this happening with a chinese developer and a western one is what's racist as hell. We already have a post fearing the chinese domination in the very first page of this thread and people claiming to never support any game coming from China. Where's this outrage when every Call of Duty comes out as basically propaganda endorsing US perpetrated genocide? Where are the calls for boycotts of all american devs regardless of the content of their games?

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Come on, it's a free to play game. This is the least meaningful way they could possibly support the "cause." I can't honestly believe they are not just spouting hot air.

People can and should boycott what they want, regardless of reason. It doesn't have to just be hot air, people can legitimately find this unacceptable and choose not to play.

Lol just tell them they're a CCP shill, you're not slick in your rhetoric question.

And btw I doubt half the posters in this thread give a shit about the people living in Hong Kong or Taiwan, because if they did they'd actually understand what the people living there think (hint: most of the people here don't know.)

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
That's besides the point though, isn't it?
I'm referring to the point brought up in this thread where everything made in China benefits the CCP in some way, which is also applicable to all devices manufactured in there as well.

Censorship is bad, and we shouldn't obviously be ok with that. Having said that, China is at fault here, not the developers whom are forced to play by their rules.

I'm also not defending the developers here, I'm just giving them the benefit of the doubt since it's impossible to get an affirmation on their position with regards to this subject.

It seemed you were trying to point out the hypocrisy of people boycotting the game because they likely don't have the same attitude towards consoles.

It's different because the those companies aren't headquartered in China and therefore don't have to answer to the government. Money still flows to the CCP in both cases but if you were going to draw the line at "as long as my freedom of speech isn't infringed on" that would be a good place to draw it.

GattsuSama

Mar 12, 2020
many of us aren't yet acclimated to censorship for totalitarian governments in our games, i guess, but hey maybe we'll get there.
I do not think it is about being acclimated. This game has been out for a while and even before we knew the devs were Chinese.

Did anyone really expect them to do any different? Or do against Xi and his government?

Sucks but that is reality in China and other countries. At least more of their atrocities are kept in house.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Where's this outrage when every Call of Duty comes out as basically propaganda endorsing US perpetrated genocide?
This topic does come up fairly often at least.
www.resetera.com

Call of Duty Modern Warfare blames Russia for the Tariq Almawt' bombings (AKA Highway of Death)

Some context: Note: Russia was not directly involved in that war War crime me if old
www.resetera.com

The new Call of Duty trailer advertises a far-right conspiracy theorist and the online fascists are over the moon

So the new CoD: Cold War trailer uses the real-life USSR defector Yuri Bezmenov to present the game's story that communist sleeper agents are infiltrating America and planning to overthrow society from within. The issue with using Yuri Bezmenov's interview clips is that these are taken from...

badatorigami

Dec 5, 2019
No, the discrepancy in the reaction of this happening with a chinese developer and a western one is what's racist as hell. We already have a post fearing the chinese domination in the very first page of this thread and people claiming to never support any gaming coming from China. Where's this outrage when every Call of Duty comes out as basically propaganda endorsing US perpetrated genocide? Where are the calls for boycotts of all american devs regardless of the content of their games?
I mean, I get it. The american jingoism in the CoD series sucks ass.The nuance is:

CoD is just a single series that wasn't forced by law into spewing propaganda. Games from the US are not banned by law from including things that the US government has deemed unacceptable. That answers your question as to why there are no calls to boycott every game from the US when a CoD game comes out.

All games from China have to be approved by the government and receive no freedom to include things that the government does not approve.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
This kind of censorship is disappointing but completely expected from media out of mainland China. I feel bad for Chinese game developers who have no choice but to put up with this shit.

Mooksoup

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I think people saying they would never play this game because of this are being too harsh.

If you are able to play American made games, or consume American made media that makes concessions to American political sensitivities, laws or culture (spoiler: they all do), without feeling like you are tacitly approving of all of the American government's actions internally and around the world....
perhaps you can extend that way of thinking to media and creative teams from other counties too?

ultraluna

Jun 3, 2020
Calling out the Chinese government, boycotting them and bringing to light things that are happening there is great, has all my support, but cmon, "Chinese puppet state"? In the first page?! Some people here are not even hiding anymore.

patientx

Oct 26, 2017
They are a chinese company, this is a chinese game and this game also sells on china which has many many restrictions and bans on certain words, ideas etc... IF they want to continue to work and sell their game they would of course ban - remove certain words. -not that I sympatise with china's horrendeus acts about taiwan, hong kong, tibet or uygurs but it is what it is ... -

also : American media almost always builds its narrative around "american ideals" and sees the world through uncle sam's eyes which to some people of other countries (which I am a part of) seems offensive etc.

lemonade

May 8, 2018
I think people saying they would never play this game because of this are being too harsh.

If you are able to play American made games, or consume American made media that makes concessions to American political sensitivities, laws or culture (spoiler: they all do), without feeling like you are tacitly approving of all of the American government's actions internally and around the world....
perhaps you can extend that way of thinking to media and creative teams from other counties too?

You think they actually care about the issues but most of them are just using these issues for expressing the growing sino phobia.

You can already see the mental gymnastics they perform in this thread to justify shitting on Chinese developers while gladly buy the next phone or console which arguably are more complicit in issues they pretend to care about.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019

I think there's a difference. Not disputing that the US has been imperialistic for decades and has quite a lot of issues with destabilizing nations in South America and parts of Asia. The issue here is we are comparing censorship between the two. There is an issue with how imperialistic some games show themselves to be. It's why I don't play Call of Duty, I find it gross. But banning certain terms is not the same thing as that. You can say it's worse, I'm not here to judge that. I have little interest in Genshin Impact, not because of this issue or because it's Chinese, but the gameplay loop. It would be like if the US administration came to Ubisoft during the development of Far Cry 5 and prevented them from having a pee tape joke about Donald Trump, similar to how Winnie the Pooh is completely blocked off in China.

Again, this isn't saying China is worse or better than the United States because frankly they're both awful countries with a history of oppressing minorities.

As far as saying they won't play it, if you can find people that are fine with THQN and its issues with 8chan that said they won't play this game, then you find that sort of hypocrisy you're seeking. Because while they are different things, I think we'd agree that it's demonstrably worse.

badatorigami

Dec 5, 2019
Lol just tell them they're a CCP shill, you're not slick in your rhetoric question.

And btw I doubt half the posters in this thread give a shit about the people living in Hong Kong or Taiwan, because if they did they'd actually understand what the people living there think (hint: most of the people here don't know.)
Dang, you caught me.

This is interesting, can you elaborate a little bit on people in Taiwan and Hong Kong not knowing? Is it that it's fresh news, or that they've resigned to the fact that it's a game coming out from the mainland and gone straight into playing without bothering to test the censors or something?

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
Expected but still unfortunate. There's going to be more and more things unveiled or put in place post-launch that leave a sour taste. It just goes with the territory (Literally with a Chinese game and figuratively with the game's genre)

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sadly, it's expected, it's a Chinese game.

I also expect nothing LGBT related, no skeleton enemies, and nothing Pooh Bear related in the game.

Coolduderedux

Oct 25, 2017
The question here is, do you punish the developers for adhering to the rules set by the laws of their country by not supporting their game? I understand that people can vote with their wallet and decide what they choose to support, but try not to treat every company like Blizzard.

rrost

Banned
Jul 20, 2018
Sometimes I feel Chinese censorship defenders only has whataboutism in their arsenal. If you think Era is pro 'murica go give a visit to etcetera.

tiebreaker

Oct 25, 2017
I know it might be "obvious" that this was going to happen, but I've been surprised to see how many folks just didn't know that this was a China-developed game, so for folks that didn't know I figured it was worth making a thread.

It's not like people suddenly stop buying cheap chinese phones.

Shame really, game is actually decent.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Disappointing but not surprising.

I am a bit surprised that they've added Hong Kong to the filter, though. I guess they know that publicly, the first thought anyone makes when they hear "Hong Kong" is the protests and abuses going on there. Which is quite sad, considering it's a bustling and interesting city that has now been distilled into "that city that's getting fucked by China."

Firestorm

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
This whole thread is people conflating a Chinese company with the government and use serious issues as shield for sinophobia.

Not surprised unfortunately, this shit is getting more and more common on Era.
Yeah, the mental gymnastics people are playing in here is wild.

"I'm boycotting this company because their taxes go towards the CCP."

The fuck?

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
China has been responsible for a ton of atrocities in their history right? Tiananmen square for example.

I sincerely do not get you response? If I insulted you in some way that was not the intent.

Because your post amounted to "I'm glad when the Chinese government commits grievous violations of human dignity as long as it's inflicted on their civilians."

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
The difference with US made game is that a US developer can be free to be super critical of US government, it's policies and members of it's "ruling class". A developer studio in China can never do that unless they really want to go for some re-education by CCP.

That's the main difference. Basically any mass media product coming out from China is going to tow the CCP guidelines/rules, and inherently supports and helps the regime, albeit inadvertently. And this totally sucks since there are a ton of very creative folks in China and a ton of cool shows, games, books, etc...

That said, I am not going to call for boycott or whatnot. This isn't Tencent. They are just a normal studio trying to make a buck. The whole situation is just unfortunate and it's been just getting worse and worse since Xi Jinping took power. You can actually see the differences in types of say dramas/movies and novels coming out from China in say 2010-2011 and then the major differences in topics now.

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
Is a Chinese company allowed by law to not censor them?

No, I can vouch after knowing some Chinese publishers and someone from the mainland, that you literally cannot even risk defying the CCP, even if you strongly disagree with them. If they ask for a change you must by law make it and even trying to stand up can cause unspeakable consequences that nobody wants to suffer.

It's stupid, but I think these kinds of changes are an absurd reason to boycott anything made by chinese developers since they literally cannot do a damn thing about it unless you want them arrested, especially with how stupidly strict the CCP is getting to the point mainland china gamers make fun of them often. Unfortunately, online games with social features are gonna be the easiest to censor like this.

I do firmly believe it's racist to assume that all chinese developers who ever make games or publish there are like the CCP because they go through their approval process, since Spoiler alert, EVERYONE in china has to do that dumb approval process, even Nintendo and Tencent with the switch, and their already translated in Chinese games are still slowly coming out since the CCP loves taking their time being nitpicky. Nobody, no matter the influence, can bypass them or say no to them.

It's why SNK is having to erase Taiwan in Baseball Stars/Super Sidekick games even in the west, because if the CCP makes you do it worldwide, you're gonna do it worldwide. If you're based outta the region saying no is easy, but if you have a branch there, or even relatives/dev members there... It makes it very tricky to do, and sadly that's why I don't see any major pushback anytime soon.

It's not that most chinese civilians/devs are evil or hate HK/Taiwan like the CCP does, in fact, there's plenty I know who support Taiwan/HK's freedom fighting efforts. It's just that crackdown is so insanely strict in China that it's not even worth the risk for people there to speak out, unfortunately. (I do remember when a medical staff member who investigated the virus died earlier this year, Weibo was FLOODED by mainland people demanding justice for his death and calling out the CCP, even though all of those ports got quickly deleted, they kept coming and showed people there knew that their government wasn't right, so it's not like they never butt heads with the CCP, as they do and they're often mocked online.) So really, stuff like this isn't really a choice these devs have to make. They literally would face legal issues up the ass if they said no, and honestly as long as they don't go a step further and be outright publicly supportive of the CCP's atrocities like the mulan actor was, I can't blame devs for being cautious. :(

Last edited:

DatManOvaDer

Oct 25, 2017
How anyone can just supporting this blows my mind.
Because the developer literally has no choice?
There are times where you can consume content made by a company in a certain country without you yourself being in support of the rules/beliefs of said country.

Mihoyo and other chinese companies have no choice but to adhere by the laws put in place by their government. Going against it means insane punishment

facepalm007

Oct 26, 2017
Sucks, but pretty much expected. I would suspect that even if miHoYo wanted to add Hong Kong/Taiwan/Anything LGBTQ related in the repercussions/the government's wrath will be swift and sure.

Just like a handful of you, I'm curious if this is "China Server" only thing, and if that's the case, I would be surprised that they would still allow that on the Global servers.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The question here is, do you punish the developers for adhering to the rules set by the laws of their country by not supporting their game? I understand that people can vote with their wallet and decide what they choose to support, but try not to treat every company like Blizzard.

That's where I'm at. Blizzard was a case of an American company bowing down to CCP interests which is why I felt personally like abandoning Blizzard was a good move. And I have since not played any blizzard games. In the case of MihoYo they don't really have a choice in the matter. And for me then that brings up a lot of other questions like if I think that boycotting this game is a move I want to make exactly where is my line? There are a lot of horrors going on in China right now from the ongoing struggle of Hong Kong and Taiwan to the CCP usage of forced labor from Uighurs. It becomes way more complicated when you realize just how entangled US companies are with China. Even if they don't make products directly with Chinese labor they probably do buy supplies at some point in their supply chain from Chinese companies.

I'm not going to blame anyone if they feel a specific way about a specific product coming out of china that they want to boycott I just don't need the finger pointing from people on their soapboxes calling me a bad person because I've put money into Genshin Impact. That feels unproductive and just a waste of everyone's time involved.

supercommodore

Prophet of Truth
Apr 13, 2020
UK
China has been responsible for a ton of atrocities in their history right? Tiananmen square for example.

I sincerely do not get you response? If I insulted you in some way that was not the intent.

It reads as if you are saying that them keeping their atrocities in-house is in some way preferable.

Maybe I got the intonation wrong in my head, no worries.

RedAhmed

Jan 9, 2018
I should have called my character Uyghur. Maybe I'll start a new file. Screw China, free Taiwan, Hong Kong and the Uyghur!!!!

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
No, I can vouch after knowing some Chinese publishers and someone from the mainland, that you literally cannot even risk defying the CCP, even if you strongly disagree with them. If they ask for a change you must by law make it and even trying to stand up can cause unspeakable consequences that nobody wants to suffer.

It's stupid, but I think these kinds of changes are an absurd reason to boycott anything made by chinese developers since they literally cannot do a damn thing about it unless you want them arrested, especially with how stupidly strict the CCP is getting to the point mainland china gamers make fun of them often. Unfortunately, online games with social features are gonna be the easiest to censor like this.
This is why most folks self-censor there because you don't want to get into bad relationship with officials.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's fair to point out that the company behind this game are being hamstrung by intrusion from their government.

I think it's also fair to be put off by that regardless because of what it ends up meaning.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
Why are so many people acting like the developers have any say in this? They live in and developed the game in china, we're people expecting them to just defy their government?

I seriously don't understand the thought process of "I'm enjoying this chinese game. WTF, the developers obey strict CCP laws, I'm deleting it now".

I think the CCP is horrible too, but what does this game have to do with china's government?

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
Not surprising but everyone has accepted China's will.

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
This is why most folks self-censor there because you don't want to get into bad relationship with officials.

Pretty much, it's why whenever a game outside the region is brought over they make edits that they think will speed up the approval process or make them happy, and sometimes even that doesn't work. Nintendo finished the chinese translations for BOTW, Pokemon, and other games AGES ago yet CCP still hasn't approved them, even with Tencent's backing, so that proves how absurdly long this approval nonsense can take (meanwhile HK and Taiwan are able to play them right now in their native language...) Companies are silly to not at least try and get their games into that market, but I think cases like Blizzard where they had every right to say no and resist are the ones that should be more concerning imo.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Pretty much, it's why whenever a game outside the region is brought over they make edits that they think will speed up the approval process or make them happy, and sometimes even that doesn't work. Nintendo finished the chinese translations for BOTW, Pokemon, and other games AGES ago yet CCP still hasn't approved them, even with Tencent's backing, so that proves how absurdly long this approval nonsense can take (meanwhile HK and Taiwan are able to play them right now in their native language...) Companies are silly to not at least try and get their games into that market, but I think cases like Blizzard where they had every right to say no and resist are the ones that should be more concerning imo.
Well, for external companies getting into Chinese market is indeed super hard. Only a limited amount of games (and movies, books, etc..) get approved each year. And as you pointed out even with Tencent's backing it's not a sure thing, which is kind of crazy if you think about it.

Even for a Chinese game developer though its not a sure thing to get permission to publish.

SemRockwel

Oct 27, 2017
In terms of doing business with Chinese companies, I think for many people there is a difference between buying Chinese products in general, and having ccp censorship forced on you. I can see that as a line that hits too close to home for some. Like I don't hold all ccp crimes against the Chinese population in general, but that doesn't mean I will put up with the ccp censoring me.

Edit: Just to be clear, I am also ok with people and governments boycotting US products when the US does shitty things too.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Sadly, it's expected, it's a Chinese game.

I also expect nothing LGBT related, no skeleton enemies, and nothing Pooh Bear related in the game.

While it's not much, and unclear if it's in the original Chinese version (or just a mistake), but the character you can unlock, Bennett, says that you should talk to his Dads about their adventuring.

Edit: Nvm, it seems he calls everyone in the Adventurer's guild, "dad".