• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not surprising. That seems to be the MO with any gaming related stuff recently even remotely associated with China.

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Thanks for the heads up!

390576d29ddd69eaf66ccbcd5d78fcb84fe7c784.jpeg

Emiya777

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
User Banned (Permanent) - Sinophobic Fear Mongering & history of other infractions
I'm sure this stuff will ramp up in our media as we virtually become a Chinese puppet state over the next 100 years.

OP
OP
Theswweet

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
I know it might be "obvious" that this was going to happen, but I've been surprised to see how many folks just didn't know that this was a China-developed game, so for folks that didn't know I figured it was worth making a thread.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it seems like its similar to other Chinese developed games where theres a national filter from the government for words that people have to add to their games. So it's not necessarily something the developers blocked themselves.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
Disgusting.

Well, that's one way to knock me off the fence into the "do not want to play" camp.

Get bent Chinese Communist Party with this nonsense. Seriously, how is the name of a city under your purview spoken via chat in a video game going to hurt you? What is "Hundred Acre Wood" censored in game too Xi?

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Until the CCP changes I'm def not supporting any games out of china anytime soon. I hope more companies start moving their manufacturing elsewhere.

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
User Banned (1 month): Sinophobia; conspiracy theorizing
The fact it needs a whole separate client to run a mostly single player game that is always online for no reason... I know some CCP bs was behind it.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The censoring in the game's chat covers a huge range of odd words - enough so that during beta, I thought it was a bug that would get fixed before launch.

During a co-op session, I tried to say "poof" when I was about to disconnect, and it was censored. Even "p o o f" was censored. Maybe it's too close to "pooh"?

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017
Does it really change anything that they censor words? It's a Chinese game. Whether they censor words or not, the country puts its minorities in concentration camps either way.

Lost Knight

Mar 17, 2019
West Virginia
The censoring in the game's chat covers a huge range of odd words - enough so that during beta, I thought it was a bug that would get fixed before launch.

During a co-op session, I tried to say "poof" when I was about to disconnect, and it was censored. Even "p o o f" was censored. Maybe it's too close to "pooh"?

I always find it funny how petty Xi Jinping is with this Pooh stuff, there are far worse characters to be compared to lol

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX

Poof is a slur for homosexual in the UK.. probably just covering their bases there for all of the English language servers.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Between this and its kernel-level anticheat doing scummy things like reading your clipboard (and use to always run and couldn't be uninstalled until people made this very known, so they patched it saying it was a bug) I think it's best I avoid this.

Muitnorts

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Could also be because it can be used as a somewhat derogatory term for a gay man, at least here in the UK.

Edit: beaten

TeacherDenz

Jul 7, 2020
One can't really rage over this. It's not like it's a western game that is bending over their own values.for money.

electristan

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
Another example of why I find it very hard to support games from China. There is often (always?) control and influence from the government, and I do not want to normalise or make this type of censorship become acceptable.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 week): Inflammatory point of comparison
I mean if you're already okay with playing the game before hand, I don't know why this would be the thing that changes your mind. Using product X from China means you're supporting that shit in some way already. It's like going to a KKK rally and being surprised they're racist.

GattsuSama

Mar 12, 2020
The game was made by a Chinese developer right?

Why would anyone expect any different from the get go?

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
Disgusting. Not gonna try this out at all then.

Soulstoner

Oct 27, 2017
God dammit. The game seemed quite good too.

Reminder to all that Blizzard Entertainment is still a puppet of China. My boycott is still going strong and will continue through the release of OW2 and Diablo 4. Fuck Blizzard and Fuck the CCP.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
Can't exactly be outraged at a Chinese company censoring this stuff. No matter what the political leaning of the devs may be it would likely be suicide for the company to not censor this. Pretty different from an American company just bending over backwards to appease the CCP

Last edited:

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
I'm sure this stuff will ramp up in our media as we virtually become a Chinese puppet state over the next 100 years.

I get being disappointed this also applies to the english version, but this is a game developed in China and hardly a representation of gaming in general or in need of such a statement tbh.