• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stalker

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
is perfectly fine and accepted by the layman.

I see the sentiment a lot on this forum that people find the word gamer either offensive or cringey and this is ridiculous. It's a perfectly acceptable term for someone who plays games as a hobby. Any feelings you associate with the word are entirely on you and probably a reflection of some misplaced shame you carry with your hobby. Just like we call people cyclists, or readers, bookworms, cinephiles, movie buffs, foodies or binge watchers we can define people with an ardent interest in games "Gamers".

It really feels like some people on the site are stuck in the mentality of school and being social outcasts to look at a word and recoil from being defined as it.

Games are as diverse as any other entertainment medium, They can reach lofty hights and be called Art or they can be hammy schlock and fodder.

Opinions?

Glimpse_Dog

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Maybe once but since gamergate the term just leaves a sour taste in my mouth. I've also found it odd when people self identify based on their hobbies but that's just me.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
jzxq0fxnzp5y.jpg

LaoJim

Mar 29, 2020
Put simply, I agree. There's a weird dance of 'I like games, but I'm not a gamer' on this site - a sort of 'othering' of the hobby, letting it be defined only by it's worst members.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
the term is perfectly fine.

But the way and people it is used by does affect how it is seen.

I personally differentiate between "gamer", which is like reader or foodie.

And "Gamer", which is the word i use for people that exemplify what causes people to not like the term, see other posts here.

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It really feels like some people on the site are stuck in the mentality of school and being social outcasts to look at a word and recoil from being defined as it.
Nah, the problem is that a lot of self-called gamers are huge pieces of shit and nobody wants to be associated with the racist/sexist gamergate type.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
For me, it's partly that I don't like having a hobby be an identifier for my identity. I have the same thing with my job too; I would never identify myself as my job title outside of a formal workplace setting.

But also, the phrase gamer is absolutely associated with gamergate and other similar movements. How many times have you seen the phrase "gamers send death threats to x developer" and do you really want to be associated with that?

Just feels like there's too much baggage associated with the word.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
Identifying with a hobby so much that you have to create an identity around it is pretty ridiculous.
Which is what a lot of "Gamers" tend to do.

Feb 24, 2018
Pretty sure it's more because the word was heavily co-opted by groups like Gamergate, other sexists and hateful groups and the word just has a history of toxic connotations (see self-described gamers calling themselves "opressed" or just decades of toxic "gamers" online).

That's not even getting how women like myself have been told many times in the past that women "can't be gamers" because of whatever nonsense so no, I have no particular love for the term. Hell, even outside of sexism, the fact the term is used as a gatekeepy way like saying people who like mobile games or whatever we're calling "casual" games on this particular day can't be "REAL" gamers is pathetic.

I find the term players (both video games and table-top) way better and I never see anyone complain about it.

Menchin

Apr 1, 2019
gamer headset: on

carpal tunnel syndrome: painful

journalists: harassed

yep, it's gamer time

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I think for this forum in particular, "gamer" invokes the boy's club mentality that has historically been nurtured by the video game industry, which includes a rejection of outsiders - most vocally women or other age groups - and so hostility to types of gaming that fit outside the norm.

OP
OP
Stalker

Stalker

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The word carries its weight and negative connotations regardless of who's using it.

Maybe in your head it does, The reality is the majority of people when they question your hobbiess and you say "oh I'm a bit of a gamer, I watch a lot of movies and I occasionally go fishing" won't instantly assume you're a bigoted racist.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
I don't call myself a gamer, but I also don't really recoil from the word either. I was asked if I was a gamer a month or so ago and my response was "I play video games, yeah."

Jan 9, 2018
There is a very good podcast from Waypoint radio from February 20 in which they talk about the feeling of the word gamer and the relation with the fandom:
Waypoint. RESET roundtable: fandom + regulation and moderation.

I found they explain quite well the love-hate relation with the word gamer. I liked a lot when they differentiate depending on the context and who ask you if you are a gamer.

Last edited:

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I think people deeply embroiled in the Gaming Discourse have more of an adverse reaction to the term than some random dude who doesn't follow the industry because the former are going to be a lot more familiar with GamerGate, which is valid.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Nah, the problem is that a lot of self-called gamers are huge pieces of shit and nobody wants to be associated with the racist/sexist gamergate type.
But this is the only hobby wherein this kind of justification is used.

You don't see film buffs or bookworms treating those terms the way this site treats "gamer", even though there are tons of angry manchildren that watch movies, and tons of people that use certain books as justification to do bad things.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I see the sentiment a lot on this forum that people find the word gamer either offensive or cringey and this is ridiculous. It's a perfectly acceptable term for someone who plays games as a hobby. Any feelings you associate with the word are entirely on you and probably a reflection of some misplaced shame you carry with your hobby. Just like we call people cyclists, or readers, bookworms, cinephiles, movie buffs, foodies or binge watchers we can define people with an ardent interest in games "Gamers".

How about we all simply let people choose how to define themselves for whatever reasons they desire? 🤷🏽‍♂️

But this is the only hobby wherein this kind of justification is used.

You don't see film buffs or bookworms treating those terms the way this site treats "gamer", even though there are tons of angry manchildren that watch movies, and tons of people that use certain books as justification to do bad things.

Why does that matter?

supercommodore

Prophet of Truth
Apr 13, 2020
UK
I think it's a little odd to label oneself as a "gamer".

But seems fine to me to use it as a collective term, e.g. "Typically gamers on PS4 play 4 hours a day".

Splatbang

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
I know what you mean, but the problem is not with "outside" people referring to gamers, it's with people identifying themselves as gamers. If I hear someone refer to themself as gamer I picture some kind of alt-right slur spouting type of guy.

Not sure if it makes sense, but I read books but I don't identify as a reader, just as someone who reads books but if someone collectively refers to people who read books as readers I can see myself included in that group.

massoluk

Oct 25, 2017
Thailand
"people who think they are inherently superior because they play games."

Ding ding ding. This is why I don't want to be associated with this Gamer identity. You could consume products, oh wow.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
There's nothing wrong with the word itself but the associations it brings to a lot of people are still very much alive. Maybe if you're younger there isn't as much of a stigma but as an older (44) person I get nothing but funny looks if I mention I play videogames to anyone who also doesn't do it.

Plus the coverage of 'gamers' in the broader media is almost always negative. Gamergate, swatting, rampant sexism/homophobia/transphobia, havens for paedophiles etc. Rarely do you see anything positive like charity events such as 'Games Done Quick' receive any coverage outside gaming sites.

On top of that it's not necessary to associate a noun to a hobby. I mean I enjoy cooking but I wouldn't call myself a chef, and I like getting out and taking photos but I wouldn't call myself a photographer. Even without the negative connotations I just don't see the need to label myself as a 'gamer' rather than just someone who enjoys playing games.

Oct 27, 2017
User Warned: Inflammatory Commentary: Please Don't Use Gendered Slurs
If you feel Gamergaters co-opted it and spoiled it then do something to take it back. Giving it up because someone took it over? I never understood that mentality. It's like in the UK when people who fly the British or English flag are seen as racists/suspect because the flag is also used by nationalists! I mean... WTF?! Why the fuck should we give it up cos a bunch of cunts also decided to use it?

I also find one of the other reasons behind not using "gamer" to be supremely dumb: We don't call people who love music musicers, or people who love films/movies filmers/moviers. That's not how language works!

Status
Not open for further replies.