• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kaivan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PlatinumGames has delayed the physical retail edition of The Wonderful 101: Remastered for PlayStation 4 and Switch from its previously planned late May release date to June 30 in North America and July 3 in Europe due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, the developer announced.

The digital editions will launch on the same date as originally planned: May 19 in North America and May 22 in Europe. In addition to PlayStation 4 and Switch, The Wonderful 101: Remastered will also be available for PC via Steam.
www.gematsu.com

The Wonderful 101: Remastered physical edition delayed to June 30 in North America, July 3 in Europe

PlatinumGames has delayed the physical retail edition of The Wonderful 101: Remastered for PlayStation 4 and Switch from its previously planned late May release date to June 30 in North America and…

I guess that's an option. Lock if old.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Backers that ordered a physical copy are now getting a free Steam key in May on the digital release date (on top of their physical copy when it launches) which is a great way to handle it.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Backers that ordered a physical copy are now getting a free Steam key in May on the digital release date (as well as their physical copy when it launches) which is a great way to handle it.
Good for them but pretty lame for who just got the digital version instead. Wish I knew about that so I would have got the PS4 physical version and got the PC version for free...

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Interesting. I missed the window on joining the kickstarter so I ordered the physical off amazon and will just get the digital download. Sucks for those who are only getting physical but its all coming up milhouse for me.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Good for them but pretty lame for who just got the digital version instead. Wish I knew about that so I would have got the PS4 physical version and got the PC version for free...
I think we all would have wished we'd known back in February that the world was going to end in a month or so, but of the available options this seems like the best way to proceed.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Backers that ordered a physical copy are now getting a free Steam key in May on the digital release date (on top of their physical copy when it launches) which is a great way to handle it.

sure , but nobody could have predicted that, it's not a good mindset to have! You could say it was a waste that i paid for a digital version in addition to my physical copy, but i backed the game to support it in the first place, so while i could say i would have gotten these two cheaper, it's not a big deal in the end

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
I mean you are getting what you paid for.
The point is that it isn't fair for who had the foresight to avoid the physical version other then the fact that not everyone have a PC, so ppl will just sell those Steam keys for cheap, in this way Platinum are not making happy the people that wanted to play the game on console anyway and at same time they are diminishing the value of the PC digital version since those backers have bought at full price something that will be sold for much less on ebay in few days.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
The point is that it isn't fair for who had the foresight to avoid the physical version other then the fact that not everyone have a PC, so ppl will just sell those Steam keys for cheap, in this way Platinum are not making happy the people that wanted to play the game on console anyway and at same time they are diminishing the value of the PC digital version since those backers have bought at full price something that will be sold for much less on ebay in few days.
I mean this is their first self-published title and figuring out a solution that would make everyone happy is pretty much impossible. Fact is you are getting what you paid for and the people that dont get what they paid for get something to make up for it.

You cant just assume that its easier for a small fish like P+ to get PSN/eShop digital codes as easy as they would for Steam.

Not even the biggest publisher care about diminishing the value of digital versions shortly after launch by bundling it with the latest GPU purchase - you think Platinum Games can and will factor that in their decision making ?

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
I mean this is their first self-published title and figuring out a solution that would make everyone happy is pretty much impossible. Fact is you are getting what you paid for and the people that dont get what they paid for get something to make up for it.

You cant just assume that its easier for a small fish like P+ to get PSN/eShop digital codes as easy as they would for Steam.

Not even the biggest publisher care about diminishing the value of digital versions shortly after launch by bundling it with the latest GPU purchase - you think Platinum Games can and will factor that in their decision making ?
Not the same thing, you have to buy a 300€+ GPU for having those games, and even by sold them on ebay you need to have the same exact card for reedem them so no, they doesn't diminsh the value of their games by getting paid by AMD and Nvidia for but those games on expensive GPUs, totally different solution.

Not saying is easy but they should do something for digital backers too at this point otherwise it's just another KS that wasn't worth to be a backer of (already seeing on forums ppl read to sell/buy those Steam key for few money, if you think that this is a right thing to do...).

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
The game has 33K backers, a good 10K of which only ordered the digital version. Of the remaining 23K, even if 10% sell their keys on Ebay (a percentage I highly, highly doubt) that's nowhere near enough supply to flood the used market and drive down the price. 2,300 keys out there is nothing, even for a smaller developer like Platinum.

Geist 6one7

Oct 29, 2017
MASS
Wouldn't it make more sense to give backers that chose physical a code for the platform of their choice rather than just Steam? I have no use for a Steam one personally.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Wouldn't it make more sense to give backers that chose physical a code for the platform of their choice rather than just Steam? I have no use for a Steam one personally.
Steam gives out extra keys to devs for free while I believe Sony and Nintendo still require their 30% cut to generate keys. I don't know the second part for sure, but that's how I understand it.

jdh96

One Winged Slayer
Jan 25, 2020
Same, my laptop is nowhere near powerful enough to run this so it's basically useless for me.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Steam gives out extra keys to devs for free while I believe Sony and Nintendo still require their 30% cut to generate keys. I don't know the second part for sure, but that's how I understand it.
Consoles charge developers to generate codes. Steam codes are (more or less) free to generate.
A very often overlooked feature of Steam/PC gaming that people either aren't aware of or can't grasp.

Geist 6one7

Oct 29, 2017
MASS
Consoles charge developers to generate codes. Steam codes are (more or less) free to generate.
Ah, I see. Makes sense then. I don't really have an issue waiting considering the state of the world at the moment, just curious why this route was taken.

Oct 25, 2017
I ordered this in a physical version as a long-term keepsake I could share with other people (whereas all of my other Wii U double dips have been digital), so while understandable, this is a pretty unfortunate outcome for someone who was hoping to stream the game in that vital release window when audiences will be most curious and engaged. (My PC won't be able to handle streaming it off the Steam copy, I'm afraid.) Definitely bet on the wrong horse here. The reasoning for going Steam-only with the codes has already been explained above, but I really do wish that I had the option of just swapping to the Nintendo eShop code as an existing physical backer.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
I'm assuming there will be a lot of keys popping up in the BST thread. Maybe I'll be able to score one there. A shame I had cancel my kickstarter pledge as money got tight right around then (probably for most people).

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Not the same thing, you have to buy a 300€+ GPU for having those games, and even by sold them on ebay you need to have the same exact card for reedem them so no, they doesn't diminsh the value of their games by getting paid by AMD and Nvidia for but those games on expensive GPUs, totally different solution.

Not saying is easy but they should do something for digital backers too at this point otherwise it's just another KS that wasn't worth to be a backer of (already seeing on forums ppl read to sell/buy those Steam key for few money, if you think that this is a right thing to do...).
I'm a digital-only PC backer.

The point of Kickstarter is, and always has been, to support creators you like directly, to allow them to make projects you like happen.

If you are treating Kickstarter as a glorified pre-order, well, I'm sorry, but you didn't get the concept right. It's not an investment; it's patronage; so snags happen even at the best of times, and with the current lockdown, these are certainly not the best of times.

I really don't care that someone else gets to play TW101 on PC for cheaper than me; I pledged to Kickstarter to give Platinum money; if I just wanted the game, I'd have waited, and (if the campaign was successful, I'd have bought it once it released.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
The real folks that should be upset are the PC physical backers. The Kickstarter had a picture of a "PC DVD-ROM" box for the PC physical release, and it wasn't until after surveys were closed that it was revealed that it would be a code in the box instead. Now, we're getting a code anyway.

I really, really hope they'll actually let me switch my platform to Switch.

Last edited:

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
I ordered this in a physical version as a long-term keepsake I could share with other people (whereas all of my other Wii U double dips have been digital), so while understandable, this is a pretty unfortunate outcome for someone who was hoping to stream the game in that vital release window when audiences will be most curious and engaged. (My PC won't be able to handle streaming it off the Steam copy, I'm afraid.) Definitely bet on the wrong horse here. The reasoning for going Steam-only with the codes has already been explained above, but I really do wish that I had the option of just swapping to the Nintendo eShop code as an existing physical backer.

Buy the digital Nintendo eShop code on release and recoup the cost by selling the Steam key.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy

The point of Kickstarter is, and always has been, to support creators you like directly, to allow them to make projects you like happen.

If you are treating Kickstarter as a glorified pre-order, well, I'm sorry, but you didn't get the concept right. It's not an investment; it's patronage; so snags happen even at the best of times, and with the current lockdown, these are certainly not the best of times.

I really don't care that someone else gets to play TW101 on PC for cheaper than me; I pledged to Kickstarter to give Platinum money; if I just wanted the game, I'd have waited, and (if the campaign was successful, I'd have bought it once it released.
I'm not treating any KS like that, THIS KS was just a marketed pre-order and they have admit it:

www.gematsu.com

PlatinumGames interview with Atsushi Inaba and Hideki Kamiya at PAX East 2020 – The Wonderful 101: Remastered, Project G.G., and Tokyo office

At PAX East 2020 in Boston, Gematsu sat down with PlatinumGames executive vice president and studio head Atsushi Inaba, and senior vice president and game designer Hideki Kamiya to talk about the r…

"Well the actual reason we decided to do a Kickstarter campaign was not for funding at all, it was more about gauging interest in The Wonderful 101."

The game was already done, they just wanted a big pre-order campaign with some fuzz around so yeah, this isn't a regular KS at all, they knew it and we knew it (by just looking at the release date, you can't make a porting in such few months).

What Theswweet say is right too, it isn't fair for your backers change the offer after KS is ended. A change of KS plan for PC only backers would be something at least.

Oct 25, 2017

I'm also a digital-only PC backer and I feel the same way.

Also does this mean that I get to play the game 2 weeks before the official release?

Opposable

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know if digital is cheaper? I might cancel the physical preorder (Switch) if digital is cheaper or same price (Switch or PS4).

If not, I'm in no rush.

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
Backed double physical Switch and PS4 and now I get a free PC version too. Pretty great.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
The way that Platinum have communicated the specifics of the PC Physical SKU, and the lack of communication that they've had with backers in general over the last month has been embarrassingly poor. I've been trying to get in contact with them about switching my platform to Switch (doubly so once they announced that all physical backers are getting steam keys *anyway*) and they've just been radio silent. Nothing.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
The way that Platinum have communicated the specifics of the PC Physical SKU, and the lack of communication that they've had with backers in general over the last month has been embarrassingly poor. I've been trying to get in contact with them about switching my platform to Switch (doubly so once they announced that all physical backers are getting steam keys *anyway*) and they've just been radio silent. Nothing.
Did you try e-mailing them or using Kickstarter's private massaging system?

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
When i started reading the email the other day i was like "it would be cool if they gave us for free a steam code, but thats never gonna happen" Read the second paragraph ans shouted "YES!!!"
I was actually gonna buy the game on steam when it went for sale for cheap, as i was already getting the Switch physical version with some added stuff and couldnt spend more money, so this news is amazing for me.
Cant wait to try and see how it looks on PC now.