• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BayonettasBuddy

Lead Producer at Cold Symmetry
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
I think it's terrible. I only play in Docked mode and it seemed to almost never be 60fps and is completely unlocked. I am going to buy the steam version.

Edit: Bought the steam copy on Ebay.

I got sent a free steam copy as my switch version is late. Waiting on finding what's happening with it at all...

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
Still early on in the game, just got the hammer guy. Sometime the camera angle is frustrating and hard to tell what's going on with all these enemies 😂 But overall I'm having a blast! Might be too early to say, but I think I like it more than Bayonetta.

Some questions...

Should I rotate the leader of each weapon manually? What's the benefit(s) of that?
Which abilities and blocks are recommended to get first?(already got dodge, counter, and team unite)

Thank you in advance.
Each Wonderful One has four levels. when you use their associated Unite Morph, they gain Exp, but the Leader gains more Exp.

You may have noticed it saying something like "Rank 98: Vitality Up!" in the lower right corner. That's your total levels. Also "Rank 3: Unite Stinger unlocked for Hammer" That's you having three total levels of Hammer. So you rotate them out to gain levels faster, to have more moves and more vitality.

However that is not the only reason to swap. Wonderful Ones have three different body types. Let's call them Red, Green, and Pink types. Average sized Wonderful Ones get slowed down by big morphs, but move at a decent pace. Lightweight ones can barely move with a huge Morph out, but dash faster, and big Wonderful Ones can run with big Morphs, but their dash is slow.

Try setting Wonder Beer as your Hand user, make a 50 sized Hand and move with it. Then swap back to Red and do the same.

As for blocks to get, you want Energy Converter. It allows you to heal in battle if you get more Unite Energy from combos and moves than you have room for. It fills on top of the lost vitality instead.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Matthewmatosis (who's previously gone on record saying TW101 is his favorite game of all time) posted some unscripted impressions on the remaster after a full playthrough

He mentions something I'd noticed and wasn't sure if it was different to the original: on your first playthrough there are a few fights where you meet a new Wonderful One halfway through the fight (e.g. fighting the Flying Saucer guys and getting Wonder Green in the middle of the fight). In the original game, when you replayed those levels they were just normal fights, but now in the Remaster I think they've changed it so you're actually locked out of drawing that particular Morph for the first half of the fight. You can draw the Unite Gun shape, but it won't register as the Gun until you get to the cutscene where Wonder Green comes in, same thing in the *Operation 005 spoiler* first Dragon fight where you get Wonder White. Not a huge deal but it's a weird thing to change

Grahf

Oct 27, 2017
Wonderful Ones have three different body types.

Thanks for the tip, I TOTALLY missed that (if that was even explained).
I just finished chap 8 and I'm still discovering lots of things. Biggest discovery of the day is undoubtedly witch time, game changer.

Also can you level up a character only by fighting or just using him ?

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the tip, I TOTALLY missed that (if that was even explained).
I just finished chap 8 and I'm still discovering lots of things. Biggest discovery of the day is undoubtedly witch time, game changer.

Also can you level up a character only by fighting or just using him ?

The fastest way to rank up characters, if I'm remembering correctly, is actually to ride down the spiral waterslide at the very beginning of Operation 002-B over and over again :P

Dec 23, 2017
Wonder-Eyes, Red!

*transforms*

H-H-HAH!!!
gerWQN.gif

Wonder-Jump!

TOH!

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck man, I wanna replay a bunch of Kamiya games now. We need Viewtiful Joe on Steam already.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man this turned into a mess real quick.

Shitty flying sections, vehicle section, set piece bosses, QTE's galore, constant menu pop up interruptions etc.

This is a Kamiya game alright.

Tough going back to stuff like this after playing pure action games like DMC5 and SOR4.

Will stick to it for the playthrough but not sure it's something I can stomach for multiple playthroughs (as is the norm for me in this genre).

(Sorry to vent. Was really hoping to love this.)

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Man this turned into a mess real quick.

Shitty flying sections, vehicle section, set piece bosses, QTE's galore, constant menu pop up interruptions etc.

This is a Kamiya game alright.

Tough going back to stuff like this after playing pure action games like DMC5 and SOR4.

Will stick to it for the playthrough but not sure it's something I can stomach for multiple playthroughs (as is the norm for me in this genre).

(Sorry to vent. Was really hoping to love this.)

Kamiya's games are definitely a different style from others in their genre. Personally speaking I'm finding it harder and harder for me to play hours upon hours of the same gameplay no matter how deep, and honestly I feel like his design philosophy of throwing fucking everything into the mix even if it doesn't always work appeals to me more nowadays. It's just this one big ride and you're constantly adapting to new shit in addition to a really solid core combat system. It also helps that the checkpoints are really forgiving so dying is hardly a punishment outside of hurting your ranking.

Oddly enough I was only really engaged for one playthrough of DMC5 whereas here I immediately jumped back in for a playthrough on Hard after completing it the first time. It just feels so much more dynamic and engaging the whole way through for me.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kamiya's games are definitely a different style from others in their genre. Personally speaking I'm finding it harder and harder for me to play hours upon hours of the same gameplay no matter how deep, and honestly I feel like his design philosophy of throwing fucking everything into the mix even if it doesn't always work appeals to me more nowadays. It's just this one big ride and you're constantly adapting to new shit in addition to a really solid core combat system. It also helps that the checkpoints are really forgiving so dying is hardly a punishment outside of hurting your ranking.

Oddly enough I was only really engaged for one playthrough of DMC5 whereas here I immediately jumped back in for a playthrough on Hard after completing it the first time. It just feels so much more dynamic and engaging the whole way through for me.

That's great to hear man, glad you love it.

Personally I play this genre for the combat first and foremost and all this extra stuff/gimmicks are nothing but a distraction and annoyance, especially on subsequent playthroughs.

So we are pretty much on opposite ends on this ^_^

Magyscar

Oct 25, 2017
So happy to be able to play this again on something other than the Wii U. It's as great as ever.

Unfortunately the camera drives me completely nuts at times. I really wish there was a wider view option so I can see the whole battlefield. Shame they didn't think to tweak it for this release, maybe modders will be able to come up with something.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
So happy to be able to play this again on something other than the Wii U. It's as great as ever.

Unfortunately the camera drives me completely nuts at times. I really wish there was a wider view option so I can see the whole battlefield. Shame they didn't think to tweak it for this release, maybe modders will be able to come up with something.

Do you know about zooming out with L/LB? You have to hold it for a couple of seconds.

If you've done that and it's still not wide enough, then... yeah, that's just how it is. Doesn't bother me most of the time but there are definitely a few sections of the game where I'd really like a wider view.

Nov 7, 2017
I dont know why but the writing in this game is so hilarious to me. Especially every time green says "christine daaé"

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I dont know why but the writing in this game is so hilarious to me. Especially every time green says "christine daaé"

One of the all-time great localizations. The way they take all the names of the characters and enemies from the Japanese version and leave them untranslated to represent the Geathjerk alien languages is such a fun idea (e.g. Vorkken-Ouji, meaning Prince Vorkken in Japanese, is becomes Vorkken Ohgee in the English version which you assume is just his last name). One of the localization team is actually on Era (or it might have been GAF); I remember talking to them years ago but I don't remember their screen name.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
At a very basic level, lets say you have an update function that gets called each frame, lets just say it's called update().

If you know the framerate, you know the exact number of times update() is going to be called per second. Take the two following lines that I wrote from the top of my head (and no language in particular):

Code:
function update()
{
  position.x = position.x + 0.1;
}

Code:
function update()
{
  speed = 6;
  position.x = position.x + speed*deltaT;
}

At 60fps, these two snippets result in exactly the same effect. This object will move 6 units to the right every second.

However, snippet 1 applies a value per frame, while snippet 2 calculates a rate of change per second. If you know your framerate (typical of console games, where there are no options and a simple 30/60 fps target), then 1 is fine. So you get a lot of console devs who get in a habit of programming like this. Problem is, if you run the above at 120fps, snippet 1 actually moves you at double the speed of code 2.

PC allows you to do what you want. Including arbitrary frame rates. So when devs port over, if they don't change everything to account for that you get these kinds of problems.

Thanks a lot, it's a little bit more clear for me now !

wilflare

Oct 25, 2017
still can't figure the Taunt on Steam.
would love to read more tips from everyone - many of the YouTube videos recommended on Reddit or GAF seems to be dead links now :(

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
I've been streaming some of my playthrough on twitch this weekend, if anyone is interested I could set one up by the end of the week (fr/sat/sun) to answer questions about the mechanics of the game. Not trying to start a streaming carreer or some shit, I just love the game and would love to help people out while having fun with it.

I don't know what's the policy on ERA about putting a link to your twitch channel, if there's an issue with that feel free to tell me.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
PSA: DEFINITIVE FIX for 59fps issue on PC VERSION! (not Special K)

It's simple, just create a custom resolution at 59HZ, this is how to do it with Nvidia Control Panel:

NVIDIA Support

[Remember to check "Enable resolutions not exposed by the monitor" and read the disclaimer ;) ]

EDIT: this is how you can do it on an AMD card:

In this case create a 1920x1079 resolution at 59HZ like this one:

59hz-Resolution.png

If your monitor pass the test, click Yes and save the resolution.

At this point just start W101 and select that resolution ingame:

20200512112915-1.jpg

And now you have the game at 59HZ in sync with the monitor (remember to enable ingame vsync).

At this point I've gone extra and enabled a 59FPS cap with RTSS, the frametime is much more stable and you will not have any stutter.
In this way the game runs perfectly and you don't need to bother if the game will stop working properly after a bit like it happens with Special K fix.

Have fun!!!

p.s. this 59HZ resolution isn't the same as putting 59HZ on your typical 1920x1080 resolution like this one:

fake59hz.png

This one on the screenshot in reality is 59.94HZ, not a real 59.00HZ like the one that you can make in the custom resolution tab.
You have to use a real 59.00HZ resolution for this to work.

Go on the link below and do some test it if you don't believe me :)

www.testufo.com

TestUFO: Refreshrate

Animation on Blur Busters UFO Motion Tests for testing displays and monitors.

That's it <3

Last edited:

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
I'm still really bad at this after a couple of missions but it's so fun and charming. I'm hoping it performs well in its second chance.

Soul Lab

Nov 17, 2017
still can't figure the Taunt on Steam.
would love to read more tips from everyone - many of the YouTube videos recommended on Reddit or GAF seems to be dead links now :(

The system breakdown videos from Saurian on youtube are essential.
They teach you basically everything you need to know imo. The videos don't cover taunts though. What's the benefit?
More points like in Bayo?

Mesoian

â–² Legend â–²
Oct 28, 2017
Man, yeah.

Level 5 and 6 are easily the worst parts of the game and are generally the stopping point I hit when I replay this game. Such a slog, so many annoying sections that aren't fun and the combat sections are the easiest in the game. Just messy, especially after how tight 1-4 are.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Kakoo Regah in Operation 002-B is BRUTAL. Two spiky Die-Dough-goos and a bunch of regular goons to start with, then three spiky Hoedowns once you kill the regular dudes. 5 pips of health, and you're limited to 50 Unite Morphs. I've been trying it for an hour :P

Unite Whip has always felt really inconsistent to me. Sometimes I'll attack a spiky enemy with it and get them into the staggered state immediately, and sometimes I'll stand there hitting them three, four five times with a max-size Whip and nothing happens. I'm kind of getting a feel for it after an hour of failing this Kakoo Regah over and over, but I still feel like I just have to hope for the best with it.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
I've found a problematic shortcoming for those who haven't played the game on WiiU, and it's the dual screen management.
If you go into the inventory the descriptions are relegated to the second screen, but the thing is not written anywhere (a "Select Button > Help" prompt would have solved that) and therefore if you do not press that key you do not understand what some things does (like the Autopilot thing that is already in the inventory in the remaster).

Grahf

Oct 27, 2017
The fastest way to rank up characters, if I'm remembering correctly, is actually to ride down the spiral waterslide at the very beginning of Operation 002-B over and over again :P

Ha.
Well I guess I'll fight some baddies instead, the waterslide doesn't seem very exciting ^^
Level 285, just missing 3 characters from the last mission now... objective lvl 400 (I presume that's the max ?) is on.

wondermagenta

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne
His fix still stop working after a bit like Special K (he confirmed on Steam), please try my fix in meantime:

www.resetera.com

The Wonderful 101: Remastered |OT| Team, Unite Up!

I think it's terrible. I only play in Docked mode and it seemed to almost never be 60fps and is completely unlocked. I am going to buy the steam version. Edit: Bought the steam copy on Ebay.
Aw man seriously? I'll try your fix but based on first testing I'm not sure it works properly on my AMD card. :(

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
The PC port is terrible and it was kinda to be expected given it's Platinum, but I had a bit more hope after Bayo 1 turned out actually okay.

I hope they patch this and doesn't end up just dumped and forgotten like Nier A.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Really not getting the "horrible PC port" posts. I guess it's because I'm playing at 1080p? With a stable framerate and faster load times this is head-and-shoulders above the original Wii U version.

I did encounter a few unobtrusive bugs but nothing to hinder my enjoyment of the game and we did get it like, a week before everyone else so I wouldn't put it past them to have been working on some of the stuff like the camera issues at 4k.

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
Really not getting the "horrible PC port" posts. I guess it's because I'm playing at 1080p? With a stable framerate and faster load times this is head-and-shoulders above the original Wii U version.

I did encounter a few unobtrusive bugs but nothing to hinder my enjoyment of the game and we did get it like, a week before everyone else so I wouldn't put it past them to have been working on some of the stuff like the camera issues at 4k.
there's no nuance on criticism, basically.

SirFritz

Jan 22, 2018
The PC port is terrible and it was kinda to be expected given it's Platinum, but I had a bit more hope after Bayo 1 turned out actually okay.

I hope they patch this and doesn't end up just dumped and forgotten like Nier A.
Bayonetta turned out ok because it was sega publishing. I remember vanquish had some fps related issues but they got patched because sega actually cared about fixing the issues.

Varjet

Oct 27, 2017
The system breakdown videos from Saurian on youtube are essential.
They teach you basically everything you need to know imo. The videos don't cover taunts though. What's the benefit?
More points like in Bayo?
Taunting increases your attack power and you can activate Unite Camp faster.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
In his ramble on Patreon Matthewmattosis was saying it seemed like taunt was remapped to two of the face buttons instead of clicking the left stick and that he hadn't figured out how to do it yet.

Was there ever a point to Unite Camp? I don't think I ever really used it after finding the energy converter + attack liner trick.

Oct 25, 2017

Terrible how? Camera issue above 1080p and easily fixed frame pacing aside, everything else is pretty much perfect. I've had one crash in 36 hours of gameplay. That's pretty dang stable for a game like this. Heck, anecdotally it has behaved significantly better than the Bayonetta port on my end. I had lots of issues with Bayo crashing left and right when trying to run 4K in various ways. This is possibly the best P* port on PC thus far.

Varjet

Oct 27, 2017
In his ramble on Patreon Matthewmattosis was saying it seemed like taunt was remapped to two of the face buttons instead of clicking the left stick and that he hadn't figured out how to do it yet.

Was there ever a point to Unite Camp? I don't think I ever really used it after finding the energy converter + attack liner trick.
In the Wii U version you could also taunt by pressing A+X.
Unite Camp not only refills the gauge you can actually overcharge it. Can be quite handy before entering Kahkoo-Regahs. It also freezes the combo timer.
IIRC, you can't use the attack liner on certain armored enemies, so that is something to consider.

Soul Lab

Nov 17, 2017
I know there are camera issues, but I just had weird bug in Operation 7.
During the bossfight my crosshair was on the top left corner the whole time. lol. It was hard to shoot the boss

Nov 7, 2017

Taunt is y+b on xbox controller , I couldnt get it to work with left stick though.

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone figured out a way to solve depth of field looking like ass with SGSSAA? Was hoping to avoid the camera bugs by using AA flags instead of DSR but the DOF stays low res while it looks amazing with DSR.

Nov 7, 2017
Cant remember the deal with hero counter. What does it work on, only guts-able moves? everything like bayo?

edit: from testing it seem to be for almost every attack but I cant figure out if it has a normal parry and perfect parry difference.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2017
So I heard this game has cheat codes to unlock special characters in the game. Sadly, these characters require a lot of money to buy.

Is there a way to farm money quickly? I've already beaten the game once on Normal.

treble

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope Digital Foundry does a video on this. Interested in how the Switch version performs in comparison to the original, but also how the other platforms compare.