• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
I gotta say, the above discussion about multi-morph being a shop purchase reminds me of a nitpick I have with Platinum in general.

They sure love putting mechanics/moves that are essential components of the combat system behind a shop purchase or an unlock or some other nonsense. This trope reached its peak in Astral Chain, where they legit made a parry some random drop you have to equip per Legion (luckily there was a different sort of parry that was universal and easily unlockable, but still lol).

Here they made a good choice by making your defensive options dirt cheap, but then they made multi-morph money-gated unlock, all four levels of it. Like I can see some merit in this, because it being a purchase draws a player's attention to it and makes it more likely that the new player will try to use it, since they spent the in-game money to unlock it, but doling it out in 4 purchases is an overkill.

Dec 23, 2017
Graphical artifacts and camera fu**s up on anything over 1080p, unplayable... such a shame, how we can communicate with Platinum? They seems to doesn't give a crap once they release their broken PC port.

Hmm...ah I think I noticed those graphical artifacts on the WW101 necklaces during their transformation sequences.

Also I didn't know it effected the camera as well, that would explain the camera issues I had during certain segments. There were situations where I couldn't see what was going on or the camera was too close.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Hmm...ah I think I noticed those graphical artifacts on the WW101 necklaces during their transformation sequences.

Also I didn't know it effected the camera as well, that would explain the camera issues I had during certain segments. There were situations where I couldn't see what was going on or the camera was too close.
It happen of the first boss for example, camera is super weird... the thing that baffle me is that ppl at Platinum not ever try their PC version before selling them, it's incredible...

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, like SixelAlexiS said, apparently graphical and camera issues. I can't say I've noticed any yet, but the commonly cited example is the first major climatic boss fight against the robo dragon has issues where the camera dislodges and drops downwards or something. Super weird.

I will say with the camera appearing too close, make sure you try holding L to zoom it back out. TW101 has weird camera input where the zoom isn't immediate. You have to hold R to zoom in, and hold L to zoom out, not tap. But it also wouldn't surprise me if there were zoom issues too.

Fingers crossed Platinum fix it. I know they're notorious for not fixing a lot of their PC game issues, but I feel like this being entirely self published might give incentive. And major performance/technical issues are one thing, but resolution breaking perspective sounds like something that should be fixable.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I just finished my first playthrough. I played on Normal at 1440p on a Ryzen 3600 and 1070GTX. The biggest issue is that it seems like they didn't test the fixed camera placement in certain bossfights for resolutions above 1080p. There's a post from the Kickstarter thread going over this here. At 1440p I found it noticeable but not game breaking, but I'm assuming things get further out of whack the higher the resolution goes, so at 4K it's unplayable. I had a few similar problems in other one-off challenges throughout the game, usually during the end-level bossfights; weird camera placement, rail shooters where my crosshairs couldn't reach the extremities of the screen, that kind of thing.

Spoilers for the particular spots in game where I had problems:
- Operation 001-C where you're standing on Owrowchee's back fighting the two heads, camera is too close in
- Operation 005-C, fighting the big octopus fellow from the deck of the Virgin Victory, the camera did a weird somersault when the boss dived underwater
- Operation 007-B, fighting the bug boss in Vorkken's belly, when you're following it around shooting from the Virgin Victory, the boss stopped moving while the Virgin Victory kept moving forward, so I had to do several long 180 degree turns to keep facing it
- Operations 009-A and -B, the railshooter segments in space with Platinum Robo, I couldn't move my crosshairs down to the bottom of the screen

Keeping in mind that the game was released early for backers and we're all playing it before the official release, I'll give Platinum the benefit of the doubt and assume they can patch all this. I know they have a pretty bad track history with PC ports, but hopefully these issues are a relatively simple fix. Apart from the camera stuff I found performance excellent (60FPS all the way through, not even so much as a dip in the Vorrken fights or final bossfight, which would bring the Wii U to its knees), and load times are a few seconds at most; it's undoubtedly the best way to play the game.

Oct 29, 2017
Any word on how the Switch version runs? Game ran like buttered arse on Wii U, so I'm interested to see how things fare on the Switch this time around.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Multi unite being an unlock isn't a bad idea on its face. The whole reason the shop exists from a game design standpoint is to slowly introduce players to new techniques at their own pace and encourage them to experiment after spending the time and money to unlock something. The problem is that it's split into several tiers so it's just a chore to get full use of it.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Guys, how do I implement anti-aliasing?

I know people here keep mentioning Nvidia-inspector, but... I have an AMD card. (What's with people always asuming they have Nvidia GPUs just 'cause they're on PC?)

LiftGammaGain

Oct 29, 2017
Asia-Europe
I gotta say, the above discussion about multi-morph being a shop purchase reminds me of a nitpick I have with Platinum in general.

They sure love putting mechanics/moves that are essential components of the combat system behind a shop purchase or an unlock or some other nonsense. This trope reached its peak in Astral Chain, where they legit made a parry some random drop you have to equip per Legion (luckily there was a different sort of parry that was universal and easily unlockable, but still lol).

Here they made a good choice by making your defensive options dirt cheap, but then they made multi-morph money-gated unlock, all four levels of it. Like I can see some merit in this, because it being a purchase draws a player's attention to it and makes it more likely that the new player will try to use it, since they spent the in-game money to unlock it, but doling it out in 4 purchases is an overkill.

I actually enjoy that they do that. Usually a first playtrough in their games is meant to make players prepared and comfortable with their systems for a new run. Their games are meant to be replayed over and over like a fine and balanced classic arcade game. Unlocking just like beating the game for the first time, is trivial but a necessity.
As for W101 I hope this time around people will see what I believe was totally misunderstood on Wiiu: it's their best, most diverse, creative and tightest fighting system post Bayo 1.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
Which custom block should I be aiming for? And am I right in thinking you can only equip one at a time?

Poison Jam

Nov 6, 2017
Guys, how do I implement anti-aliasing?

I know people here keep mentioning Nvidia-inspector, but... I have an AMD card. (What's with people always asuming they have Nvidia GPUs just 'cause they're on PC?)
There's an option for overriding or enhancing the anti-aliasing in Radeon control panel. I've never personally used it though, so I don't know if it works with most games or what.

Downsampling is a good way, but this game apparently has issues with hugher than 1080p resolutions at the moment, so that's off the table.

Then there's the option of injecting SMAA through Reshade, which would probably be my choice.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Which custom block should I be aiming for? And am I right in thinking you can only equip one at a time?

You unlock more slots - I think it's as you get more Wonderful Ones. Energy converter is a cheap first block and when paired with attack liner you basically have infinite health so I'd recommend that.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017

Eventually you can equip seven at a time, but it takes a while to unlock the extra slots. It's based on your Total Rank, which is the number you can see at the bottom right of the Custom Block equip menu; I had four slots available after my first playthrough.

Speed Charge would be my first choice, it just speeds up the rate at which your Energy meter fills up. Then I'd get Energy Converter, which lets you convert excess Energy into Health. Then I'd go for Ukemi, which lets you nullify damage from any attack that sends you flying if you can hit the Jump button at the moment your leader hits the ground. After that, it's personal preference for how you like to play.

Oct 25, 2017
so wait U guys ran the special K global injector and it worked.

this thing isn't doing anything on laptop and it's annoying the fuck out of me

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
Alright.

2 hours in and my opinion on that game and the port:

Port:

Port is totally barebones. UI is apparently in 720p and this already looks bad.
Framepacing issues, especially in cutscenes.
Somehow 1440p doesnt really feel like 1440p.
Heavy Aliasing even though everythings set to Ultra.

Game:

When I am playing, it feels good. But man. Every 2 minutes one small cutscene for the smallest of shit that no one needs. I am in the flow and suddenly another cutscene.
Strange design decisions. Sometimes I am zoomed in far too much, sometimes its zoomed out too far.
This leads to enemies who are out of my window charging their super attacks or "instant charges" that you cant see when you are zoomed in too much and focusing on other enemies.
Why am I still being attacked when cutscenes are playing? When I got pink, I literally did not get hit at all, but in the cutscene I could still hear the attack noises and in the end I got silver damage there.
Still a zoom error but I was chases by some enemy and should escape, but since it was zoomed in too much, there was no way to know where to go and jump to so I jumped into my death.
And still more of a zoom error, but I was faster than the camera was moving so.... that happened again...

BT-787

Oct 26, 2017
Our review based on the Switch version is up. Minor niggles in terms of controls in docked mode and performance. Still a welcome return though.

OP
OP

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, what the fuck. They were supposed to make the game more accessible, not stupid. I hope they patch this out.

Anyway I suggest OP to add this video series covering the combat for new players. It does a better job than the game explaining various mechanics.

www.youtube.com

The Wonderful 101 System Guide

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
I actually already have this in there since I remember it being quite popular back on GAF!

Kito

Nov 6, 2017
This is strange...

Amazon has removed the listing for the PS4 version entirely. My pre-order hasn't been cancelled yet, but something seems amiss.

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
I honestly don't think I want to play this game again.

I loved the presentation and the base gameplay was interesting but the game tossed SO many annoying gameplay changes and gimmick levels at you it became exhausting.

This really bugged me because whenever I felt myself getting the hang of the base gameplay, I was tossed into another gimmick level messing up my learning process. Then when I finally returned to an actual fight I was lost and had to scramble to remember how to fight.

It's a shame because I loved everything else about the game other than playing it.

Yeah, that's my biggest problem with the game. It has such a good combat system but it doesn't let you have fun with it. I guess it's an unfortunate consequence of being a WiiU game, they really wanted to justify the tablet controller so you have all those awful sections with the double screen that drag the game down. At least they're never as long as the Space Harrier stage in Bayonetta!

That said, this PC version runs like a dream, looks great and it's a little bit more accessible than the original. It's totally worth playing through at least once to experience all the insanity the game has to offer.

Nov 7, 2017
Im going back to get all the wonderful ones that i missed after operation 004. Want to get unite big asap last time i got it after over a hundred hours and was burned out.

Squid Icarus

Jul 11, 2019
If anyone's interested, here are some further impressions for the PC version in 3880 x 1440. Title screen didn't look promising:

9310894080634955765E993500C55BD7254212FE

But in game, it's much better. Apparently they didn't bother to re-do the art and interface and just upscaled it, kind of sad. Here are some screens I took:

F11A3ED3C715887763B6F6E98C4B967070660479

40C4A23913C8DC6D7F80B79ED6CC683D6C875967

FF322CD841912CAD5298ABA0752BAFACE9AE6D27

3B36EF71C29C68DAD18C75A4A35D90B7B376A2EA

F35A55B5755C5B81C111A0502D23D3102BC5F60F

lee n

Oct 26, 2017
I bought Wonderful 101 on Wii U but I never understood the gameplay, don't think I'll pick up the Switch version.

ASilentProtagonist

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
What is the best way to quickly take down the spike plated giants? Ripping off their armor with Wonder pink takes forever, tedious and boring.

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think there's a way around damaging them without removing the spike. But the bigger the whip, the less hits you need to remove parts of the armor and it might remove more of it each time iirc.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
Man the fights with Prince Vorkken are no fun at all, I'm happy to see the end of them (I think) at the end of
operation 6

wondermagenta

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne
Does anyone have a more permanent solution for the frame-pacing issues in the PC version? I'm using the Special K fix and while it does work great, the frame rate went back to 50fps after less than two hours of play for me, forcing me to quit and relaunch the game.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Man, it'd be nice to have a sequel that could expand on more of the Wonderful Ones. You can tell they primarily focused on a core cast and left the others to be one-note gags to pop up every now and then. But after how well the characters they do focus on are handled I'd imagine a sequel giving the rest some well-needed development as well.

I want to learn more about Pink and her brother. The way she looks after Luka and a line dropped by White late in the game about "what happened to her brother" seem to indicate she has some baggage in her past along the same lines as Blue and Red.

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
For the Guts thing, the game doesn't say this, but Guts has two sizes. Less than 50 and 50+. 50 heroes can block ANY blunt attack. 49 or less get squashed by huge blunt attacks.

So if you have 50 heroes, block everything you can. If you have less, you need to consider your options.
Is this a new mechanic? I'm don't remember squad size factoring in like that.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
It gets a lot better when you get the spin technique for it as it'll throw three bombs around you. It's also better to have your Wonderful Ones use it instead of you as they'll run up to an enemy to use it.

That's a great idea! I'll have to try that next time, I've always been terrible at using Unite Bomb.

Is this a new mechanic? I'm don't remember squad size factoring in like that.

No, it's always been like that. You can see it in some of the bigger bossfights when you Guts something like a giant robot's slamming fist; if you don't have enough Wonderful Ones it'll appear like a successful block for a moment or two, then the fist will slam through your Guts and hit you.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Alright.

2 hours in and my opinion on that game and the port:

Port:

Port is totally barebones. UI is apparently in 720p and this already looks bad.
Framepacing issues, especially in cutscenes.
Somehow 1440p doesnt really feel like 1440p.
Heavy Aliasing even though everythings set to Ultra.

Game:

When I am playing, it feels good. But man. Every 2 minutes one small cutscene for the smallest of shit that no one needs. I am in the flow and suddenly another cutscene.
Strange design decisions. Sometimes I am zoomed in far too much, sometimes its zoomed out too far.
This leads to enemies who are out of my window charging their super attacks or "instant charges" that you cant see when you are zoomed in too much and focusing on other enemies.
Why am I still being attacked when cutscenes are playing? When I got pink, I literally did not get hit at all, but in the cutscene I could still hear the attack noises and in the end I got silver damage there.
Still a zoom error but I was chases by some enemy and should escape, but since it was zoomed in too much, there was no way to know where to go and jump to so I jumped into my death.
And still more of a zoom error, but I was faster than the camera was moving so.... that happened again...
1440p have issues with camera, that's why, you have to play at 1080p max.

Yep, zoom is super weird too... on WiiU you just had to tap L and R, now you need to hold and doesn't seem to work properly.

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
That's a great idea! I'll have to try that next time, I've always been terrible at using Unite Bomb.

No, it's always been like that. You can see it in some of the bigger bossfights when you Guts something like a giant robot's slamming fist; if you don't have enough Wonderful Ones it'll appear like a successful block for a moment or two, then the fist will slam through your Guts and hit you.
There's definitely still slam attacks that will crush a full guts.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Guts can be really inconsistent. You can reflect Vorkken's fist, but his hammer smashes through a full-sized jello despite being a "blunt" weapon. You kind of just have to figure it out on a case-by-case basis through trial and error which blunt attacks can be repelled.