• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
Oct 27, 2017
or I guess a kickstarter example, I got my physical release of broken age in August 2016 when the game released digitally in January 2014

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not upset, real world shit is getting in the way, can't blame Platinum for this.

I can wait to get my physical Switch version. I'll make a little money selling my key, so it's all good.

Dreavus

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Jan 12, 2018
Nice sentiment. I'll probably mess around with it a little but ultimately wait for the Switch. This kind of game is super replayable IMO.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not upset, real world shit is getting in the way, can't blame Platinum for this.

I really wish others thought the same. I feel like it's almost impossible to make everyone who backs a Kickstarter happy, as expectations get waaaaay over the top sometimes. It went from "why no updates?" to "free Steam code?? I can't use THAT, why not code for X system??" The logistics for these things are NOT easy to work with on a mass amount of people, and as people stated, Steam was the easiest way to at least get the game in the hands of people to play sooner than later (due to circumstances out of their control).

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
The Steam code is completely useless to me, but what's happening is out of their control so I'm not going to be mad about it.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Sent Platinum a message on Kickstarter. I completely understand the physical delay, but it was already pretty bs the bait-and-switch with PC physical backers getting a code in a box. If we're getting a digital code anyway, I'd much rather get a Switch physical.

Oct 25, 2017
We backed a game that was already gold for the switch and likely the ps4.

Now I understand the delay, but I do t have a gaming PC. So this steam key business is 100% useless to me.

Also why wait until a week before the original backer release to say something about this? The mismanagement of this KS has certainly been something.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
I'm not going to complain that my copy of a video game has been delayed due to a deadly global pandemic. Not that it isn't annoying that it has, but, you know, it's a deadly global pandemic. Video games can wait.

I was thinking of getting the game on Steam later, even though I opted for a physical Switch version and a pile of goodies, mostly music, so it's not exactly what I wanted, but I'll take it. Honestly, I kind of want my digital key for the small soundtrack more than a Steam copy.

Still, perspective. COVID-19 sucks, and if a delayed video game is the worst I'll suffer from it personally, I can live with that.

Deleted member 34873

User-requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
I'm not going to complain that my copy of a video game has been delayed due to a deadly global pandemic. Not that it isn't annoying that it has, but, you know, it's a deadly global pandemic. Video games can wait.

I was thinking of getting the game on Steam later, even though I opted for a physical Switch version and a pile of goodies, mostly music, so it's not exactly what I wanted, but I'll take it. Honestly, I kind of want my digital key for the small soundtrack more than a Steam copy.

Still, perspective. COVID-19 sucks, and if a delayed video game is the worst I'll suffer from it personally, I can live with that.
This is how everyone in this thread should be reacting.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
i doubt it, but i wonder if i'll get a second steam key since i chose physical + digital (switch and steam)

won't complain anyway, it's pretty nice for those who will have it!

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Platinum is going above and beyond here with a free steam copy no matter what platform you backed for. I can't believe some of the posts in here. Grow up. You are still getting exactly what you selected, just at a later date due to a global pandemic. You are getting a free copy next week as a nice and unexpected bonus because Platinum wants to get this game to its supporters as soon as possible. You shouldn't be whining about it not being your platform of choice.

Kane

Oct 28, 2017
I'm actually really pissed off because I don't own a PC, so that Steam code is useless to me. Why can't they send me a code for the system that I actually own, and that I've bought the physical version for?

I honestly wish that I could get a refund so I can get a digital version for the Switch. I will have a plenty of time to play it next mont, in July not so much :(

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
I'm actually really pissed off because I don't own a PC, so that Steam code is useless to me. Why can't they send me a code for the system that I actually own, and that I've bought the physical version for?

I honestly wish that I could get a refund so I can get a digital version for the Switch. I will have a plenty of time to play it next mont, in July not so much :(

It costs them money to generate codes for other platforms. Generating Steam codes is free.

...they could've done nothing, I appreciate that they're doing this much. I just really hope they do something for PC Physical backers like myself.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It costs them money to generate codes for other platforms. Generating Steam codes is free.

...they could've done nothing, I appreciate that they're doing this much. I just really hope they do something for PC Physical backers like myself.
You'll almost certainly get a code like the rest. The "physical" PC version is just the box for PC with a steam code anyway, right? No reason not to send a code to you now and then still give you the box down the line. They probably aren't even looking at platform choice for this, just did you get a physical copy.

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
This is pretty shit for anyone who donated for a PC code though.
Nah. As a backer for a steam code, I don't mind it at all. I paid what I paid knowing that I'd get a steam code for it. Someone else receiving a steam code as a freebie literally doesn't affect it.

Sure, I could think in the way "damn, I could've just got a switch physical copy and then got also a steam copy on top of that for free" or "give me something extra too!", but that kind of thinking comes off as kind of entitled to be honest. Like, they're giving away these extra steam copies as an apology. They wouldn't have to do it. They could've thought also in the way "but backers for a steam code might complain and get jealous" and done nothing and I'd honestly understand that because often people can be really stupid about these things.

Generating steam codes is easy and it's nice that they offer them to people, even though a lot of ignorant people still will hate that extra thing.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
You'll almost certainly get a code like the rest. The "physical" PC version is just the box for PC with a steam code anyway, right? No reason not to send a code to you now and then still give you the box down the line. They probably aren't even looking at platform choice for this, just did you get a physical copy.

You misunderstand. The point of the PC physical was already dubious once they revealed it was but a code in a box (despite the implications otherwise before surveys were completed...), now that physical backers are getting steam codes anyway, I'd much rather have the option to switch my platform for the physical copy.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Because steam codes are either free or extremely cheap to generate. The only real cost is in the manpower needed to distribute them. If platinum wanted to give everyone a console code instead they'd have to pony up the cost of all of those keys upfront to the three console owners.

It's either this or nothing.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You misunderstand. The point of the PC physical was already dubious once they revealed it was but a code in a box (despite the implications otherwise before surveys were completed...), now that physical backers are getting steam codes anyway, I'd much rather have the option to switch my platform for the physical copy.
Isn't there a place on the KS where you can message them? I am sure something could be worked out given the circumstances and the additional delay.

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
Oh i'm definitely selling that steam code. I only just realized I could do that by reading you guys lol.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
Free Steam code is pretty awesome of Platinum to give, considering that they didn't really have to give anything at all in addition to the physical copy since the situation is out of their control.

It would be great if they allow some sort of a save transfer from PC to Switch so that I can start the game on PC and continue on the Switch.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Isn't there a place on the KS where you can message them? I am sure something could be worked out given the circumstances and the additional delay.

I sent them a message, but ideally, I shouldn't have had to. The original PC box mockup showed a "DVD-ROM" logo, and they didn't mention that it would be a code until later. It's a total bait and switch, and it's especially annoying.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Is there a way to get a refund now?

Probably not and nobody deserves one for platinum being faced with a delay in production of a physical version that is in no way their fault. They didn't want this delay for situation either.

You might be able to get switched to a digital copy, maybe, if you messaged them and asked nicely.

Kane

Oct 28, 2017
Probably not and nobody deserves one for platinum being faced with a delay in production of a physical version that is in no way their fault. They didn't want this delay for situation either.

You might be able to get switched to a digital copy, maybe, if you messaged them and asked nicely.

Yeah, I will try to ask them to switch to the digital version.

Oct 27, 2017
Because you have to wait an extra few weeks because of a global pandemic? Give me a break.
I mean lets give them the benefit of the doubt. If they were too impatient to wait for a physical version after a delay and would prefer to play the digital version if it were available first, then they should be able to request a refund? But to play devil's advocate... I don't understand why they would back the physical edition in the first place if you're not willing to wait for it? Based on previous kickstarters and physical versions of digital games (via iam8bit and LRG) you would think most people would expect this and if you didn't want to take the gamble you wouldn't have pledged in the first place?

I guess we'll just call those people "buttheads". If they want a physical version after they play the digital version they can buy it twice.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Figures the one time I get a physical version for something it ends up being delayed. Fully understand why but I still find it hilarious because I never get physical games.

Cbrun44

Totally understand the situation with the physical delay but just another reminder to myself not to take part in Kickstarters in general, especially ones like this that are essentially a presale.

On the bright side I'll be able to gift the Steam copy to someone on the board.

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
I don't mind the physical version being delayed at all, but I do mind if physical copies get sent to retailers before backers

Also, it's really shitty the digital code isn't for the system of your choice

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
That's so good of Platinum. I ordered a Digital and a Physical copy, so I'm kind of hoping I might end up with a second Steam code to sell on eBay, but I'm not going to get greedy :P

One more week and I'm going to be playing The Wonderful 101 on my PC. I can still hardly believe it.

Jamesac68

Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty happy with it. 1) Kickstarter is not a store and 2) I've already got the Wii U version. I'm not going to complain because the apology-gift isn't good enough. There is literally nothing to be angry about here. Disappointed at the wait, that I get, but not angry.