• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
PC physical confirmed
IMG-20200204-083615.png

Advc

Nov 3, 2017
Switch version only 50k. It must have sold astronomically bad on Wii U that Nintend didn't even wanted to pledge that amount to get it ported to the Switch. I will give the game a chance I might like it this time!

PillFencer

Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Switch version only 50k. It must have sold astronomically bad on Wii U that Nintend didn't even wanted to pledge that amount to get it ported to the Switch. I will give the game a chance I might like it this time!
Kamiya: " We did speak with Nintendo about it initially, but they said, 'you either do it only with us or do it yourselves.' "

Deleted member 11008

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Actually Nintendo was fine with publishing. It just than Platinum Games ask if they could publish in more platforms and Nintendo allow it.

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018
50.000 $ is not the amount it costs to port the game though, the real amount is several times higher (not to speak of marketing, distribution etc. on top).

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
aww, why the hell not. backed for a physical copy!

When you fund something via kickstarter or other crowdfunding, it should never be described as a pre-order considering the risks involved. You are funding to help develop something or in this case of the Wonderful 101 campaign funding the cost for it's porting work. Sure there is usually an incentive of receiving a copy but the reality is you are never guaranteed to receive goods you are pledging money for which is why the distinction of actually buying something in advance (pre-order) or donating money for a cause such in a crowdfunding campaign are different in this case.

The fact that they're shipping physical copies in two months tells me a lot of the work is already done.

finally

Jul 22, 2019
Is the gameplay challenging and satisfying, I.e Soulsborinkiro, hollow knight, metal gear rising, but at the same time not complicated like DMC and bayonetta?

aidangs

Jan 8, 2019
Is the gameplay challenging and satisfying, I.e Soulsborinkiro, hollow knight, metal gear rising, but at the same time not complicated like DMC and bayonetta?
Haven't played it since around when it came out but from what I remember W101 has a pretty steep learning curve. The whole "draw symbols on the screen to use moves" thing definitely takes some getting used to but once you figure that out it's really enjoyable and satisfying.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
The game will start out feeling like complete visual noise. That will escalate, main difference being you become able to read it. It's a lot of bait and counter play, more defense than MGR, and the enemy designs are varied enough that you have to remember all your moves to properly deal with them.

When the game clicks, it's some of the best video games have to offer. But making it click is not an easy task.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017

The "101 Heroes" gimmick seems very intimidating at first, but in practice it's a classic Platinum character action game where you're constantly switching between different weapons depending on which enemies you face. The Wii U's awful "draw on the screen" mechanic slowed down the action unnecessarily, but playing it with face buttons is a much smoother experience.

Advc

Nov 3, 2017
Kamiya: " We did speak with Nintendo about it initially, but they said, 'you either do it only with us or do it yourselves.' "
Actually Nintendo was fine with publishing. It just than Platinum Games ask if they could publish in more platforms and Nintendo allow it.
50.000 $ is not the amount it costs to port the game though, the real amount is several times higher (not to speak of marketing, distribution etc. on top).
That makes sense and it's better for this especific IP to expand to other consoles so it can get more than needed exposure. it had potential, but being stuck at the Wii U didn't help it at all.

AvernOffset

May 6, 2018

It's far more complicated than Bayonetta. I think it's probably less complex than the later DMC games, but it feels more overwhelming and is worse about throwing you into the deep end. If complexity is a turn-off for you in action games, you probably won't enjoy it.

Cian

One Winged Slayer
Feb 17, 2018
It depends on what you mean by complicated. The actual move list is rather small for an action game like this, each weapon only has a 3 hit ground combo, an air combo, and 3 special moves based on directional inputs. However the game's depth comes from the ability to swap between these weapons on the fly by drawing symbols, which also reposition your heroes, and the management of your 100 characters.

The best way to really wrap your head around the game is how in most action games, you're a single powerful character who gets attacked by many foes at once, and the challenge is in crowd control and not getting overwhelmed by enemies. In this game you're many weak characters, with which you have to use the strength of having many in order to overwhelm your foes who are much bigger and stronger than your individual units are.

Graven

Oct 30, 2018
So what QoL fixes would you like to see in the remaster?
They already mentioned tweaking the difficulty. Making the easy mode more accessible to new players.
A big one for me is Achievement Counters. There's several bottlecaps in the game that require you to do an action multiple times, and the Wii U version never counted how many you did. How many enemies did I throw? How many items did I mix? Adding something that will change a lot.
And of course, better tutorials. This is one aspect that hurt the game for a lot of people. The tutorials weren't that good. Plus, it should hopefully avoid shit like this.

mdCg6ml.jpg
Dodge and block should be part of the base moveset.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully it comes to the Xbox eventually, but I'm not surprised that it's not part of the initial stretch goals. Japanese companies just seem to be more risk averse to porting the more Japan-centric games to the X1 since they know that the domestic sales numbers will be a write off. I wouldn't be surprised to see this on the X1/XSX(and the PS5 for that matter) in 2021, similar to what happened with Nier Automata.

Cian

One Winged Slayer
Feb 17, 2018
Dodge and block should be part of the base moveset.
Absolutely this. Getting even the worst rank possible on the first mission still leaves you with enough money to buy both moves, so having them be purchasable and therefore technically missable is just a weird trap for new players that doesn't actually benefit the game in any meaningful way.

MLH

Oct 26, 2017
Upped my tier, usually just go for the game in the few Kickstarters I've backed but always wished I gave more. W101 is worth it!
Would be cool to see forecast figures for this - will number of backers exceed the WiiU game figures? We can reach 30k backers.
Would be cool if this game eventually sees 1 million sales - should be possible as a multi-platform

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
Can mods help with this until it has been confirmed that Dangen is not involved?
If you really want that added report the post with a message and it will be sent to a mod. A lot easy then trying to get their attention in a fast moving thread. However if they are involved it's only in a minor PR role so I don't see what relevance it has.

Is it possible to implement the motion controls to the PS4 touch pad or are they too complex?

They already ruled it out. However apparently dual sticks is how Kamiya prefers to play the game and he is making some adjustments to it for the remaster. So we should be good to go.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
If you really want that added report the post with a message and it will be sent to a mod. A lot easy then trying to get their attention in a fast moving thread. However if they are involved it's only in a minor PR role so I don't see what relevance it has.

They already ruled it out. However apparently dual sticks is how Kamiya prefers to play the game and he is making some adjustments to it for the remaster. So we should be good to go.

I think people should know that they're are working with a scummy company, especially if they have been named dropped last year. I will use the report function.

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
I think people should know that they're are working with a scummy company, especially if they have been named dropped last year. I will use the report function.
Whatever you feel is best for you. We will have to see I am sure we will get some answers when Platinum start doing some more current interviews.

Oct 25, 2017
So what QoL fixes would you like to see in the remaster?
They already mentioned tweaking the difficulty. Making the easy mode more accessible to new players.
A big one for me is Achievement Counters. There's several bottlecaps in the game that require you to do an action multiple times, and the Wii U version never counted how many you did. How many enemies did I throw? How many items did I mix? Adding something that will change a lot.
And of course, better tutorials. This is one aspect that hurt the game for a lot of people. The tutorials weren't that good. Plus, it should hopefully avoid shit like this.

mdCg6ml.jpg

That image kills me, just how.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully it comes to the Xbox eventually, but I'm not surprised that it's not part of the initial stretch goals. Japanese companies just seem to be more risk averse to porting the more Japan-centric games to the X1 since they know that the domestic sales numbers will be a write off. I wouldn't be surprised to see this on the X1/XSX(and the PS5 for that matter) in 2021, similar to what happened with Nier Automata.
This game got shunned hard in japan. Most Platinum games do, but especially this one

Deleted member 3896

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm definitely intrigued-- I missed this one completely last time around. Does anyone know if there's local/ one system co-op in this version?

Oct 31, 2017

Do you know how much are we talking about then for a Switch port ? A PC port ? And then, a PS4 port ?

Close to Bayo but more complicated I'd say ! :P

When the game clicks, it's some of the best video games have to offer. But making it click is not an easy task.

Indeed.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
Sitting at 1.5 million CAD...now that the initial fever has died down, the remaining days may not be as hot. If we clear 1.5 million USD by the end, that would be amazing, maybe even creeping up to 2 million?

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Sitting at 1.5 million CAD...now that the initial fever has died down, the remaining days may not be as hot. If we clear 1.5 million USD by the end, that would be amazing, maybe even creeping up to 2 million?

Almost all Kickstarters are front loaded which slowdown in the middle of the campaign and pick up heavily towards the end when the fence sitters make up their mind to pledge at the last few days.

Here is a couple of projects for example by their daily tracked metrics

dailypledges.png

dailypledges.png

dailypledges.png

dailypledges.png

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2019
I can't imagine this not hitting 1.75 mill well before the surge in the final few days.

I was gonna probably go with the Switch version anyway, but I like having choice of controls (in some prior games where motions or touch controls were optional I'd often alternate between both methods just based on what I felt like in the moment).
So if PS4 touch controls are rules out, I'll definitely just go with the Switch version.

(That being said, I would have no qualms going for PS4 if I didn't have a Switch, but Animal Crossing made me cave.)