• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Is a bizarre situation that Dangen were hired to do PR for the Kickstarter, but haven't tweeted about it because it being associated with Dangen would be bad PR.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am disgusted to see them trying to put first party Nintendo characters on other platforms. This should be Switch exclusive. It feels so wrong to me. I would only give money if I knew it was going to stay below these "stretch goals" things.
You will see more of that in the future. The industry is changing.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
I really wanna know what those stretch goals are.

Like, besides an Xbox port, what could they even be?

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Lets not kid ourselves this will be 20€ a week after release. If the game is already mostly done all you're doing on KS is a expensive preorder.

Don't think so. If this will be a full price release, no way, if it will be a 40€ release, maybe around 30 but it won't drop immediately, not on Switch. PS4, yeah, maybe, but unlikely.

I will appreciate my backer exclusive dlc, box art and probably 1-2 week early release tho. 🤷‍♂️

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Is a bizarre situation that Dangen were hired to do PR for the Kickstarter, but haven't tweeted about it because it being associated with Dangen would be bad PR.
Man I wonder how they could have avoided this situation like
*checks notes*
paying people
and not being dicks about it

weird

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
grumbling at the Dangen news, conflicted with my interest in playing an excellent Platinum game I've never touched for some reason
Sounds like they might only be involved with planning/running the kickstarter? Either way, while the final choice is up to you, I would say: Don't let a handful of bad people stop you from enjoying the work of a team of unrelated and good people. It's OK (maybe even great) to acknowledge that they are bad, but if you let them get in the way of you enjoying something, then you're letting the bad win.

This is just my thought, however. Feel free to proceed as you see fit! Love your work, by the way!

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
In other Kickstarters, you could get multiple rewards by increasing your amount by that cost. Say the reward was $40 but you wanted two of them. You would just up your amount to $80 and you'd be good for two copies. However, whoever is running the campaign has to determine if they want to let backers do that or not.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
This! I seriously wonder whether the Japanese press completely ignored the Dangen situation.

lovecatt

Nov 12, 2017
So I'm trying to figure out the point of this Kickstarter. Obviously it's not a "we need this money otherwise the game won't exist" thing because those numbers are tiny. Sell 40,000 copies at $20 each (after the 30% cut) and they're already in the black.

Is it basically just a way to have a high profile pre-order campaign that allows them to bypass the 30% cut taken by Valve? I'm going to assume Nintendo and Sony would still charge them for the digital keys, but we know Valve don't.

I think it was more so of a way to gauge interest for the future of the series? I think they wanted to give the series a fair shot with a release on all platforms to see if it was really worth continuing

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
I am disgusted to see them trying to put first party Nintendo characters on other platforms. This should be Switch exclusive. It feels so wrong to me. I would only give money if I knew it was going to stay below these "stretch goals" things.

Lmao this is the funniest thing I've read in a long time. Bet your alerts are getting blown up huh

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
Okay, I never expected it to reach 500k this fast. Well, it's not there yet, but will be soony.

Deleted member 5334

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What's the history with Dangen that makes people so worried?

Really long story. Will need to dig up the thread, but the TL;DR, targeted sexual harassment of women developers, throwing indie devs (ones who are also on the spectrum) under the bus and misrepresenting the situation by only showing snippets of dialogue to create a narrative they're toxic, cheating devs out of money, and it just goes on.

Mobyduck

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
The indie devs that Dangen fucked over must be real happy. Same for people that were harassed by a couple of its employees.

Just goes to show that all you have to do is stay quiet for a while and keep doing business as usual.

Oct 25, 2017
People have forgotten the fact that the number of backers is still less than the number of people who bought it on Wii U. These goals aren't that high. We're building up.

Lets not kid ourselves this will be 20€ a week after release. If the game is already mostly done all you're doing on KS is a expensive preorder.
This is assuming the game isn't digital only outside kickstarter.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Really long story. Will need to dig up the thread, but the TL;DR, targeted sexual harassment of women developers, throwing indie devs (ones who are also on the spectrum) under the bus and misrepresenting the situation by only showing snippets of dialogue to create a narrative they're toxic, cheating devs out of money, and it just goes on.

also worth pointing out that one of the dudes that is still employed by them and hushed the whole ordeal posts here and won't address any of Dangen's scummy stories.

Uncle at Nintendo

▲ Legend ▲
Jan 3, 2018
Troll post aside I was under the impression Nintendo owned this IP?

Either way that leaves Super Mario 3D World as the last Wii U title worth a shit thats stuck on the system, I think?

MDSVeritas

Gameplay Programmer, Sony Santa Monica
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017

Why would you want fewer people to be able to play great games?