• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Luke88

One Winged Slayer
Dec 29, 2018
Italy
Do you have to have a Kickstarter account form more than a day/week or something before backing a campaign ? I keep getting errors for my VISA despite having more than double the ammount I wanted to back on it .-.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Feels like it would make way more sense to hold off on PS4 and launch with PS5 instead. This kind of game this late on PS4 is bound to sell poorly imo, though I guess they don't have to worry about "sales" if it's being Kickstarted to strong results.

If porting to Switch costs $50,000 then everyone should do it.

Platinum's engine from what we've been told was designed with multiplat in mind and it sounds like they've been toying away at a port of the game for a long time now (it's scheduled for release in April). $50k is just overhead costs from the looks of it, so it's not the most "honest" cost of porting budget.

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
This is kind of interesting in that it feels almost entirely like a marketing/PR play that already appears to be super successful.

i mean, you can put 2-3 people on a direct port these days and call it a day. It's super easy. $50k is less than the cost to make box art for a game, I doubt they'd need the money unless it was mainly a way to get pre orders. I like it.

Renfran

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 28, 2018
Andddd, we've crossed 300k. This is getting funded for PS4. Can't believe people doubted it.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just clicked on the KS page to see it roll over the 300K mark. Guess that PS4 version is a lock lol

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Platinum isn't really in position to take this kind of risk.

W101 on Wii U bombed real fucking hard, so it's hard to pitch it to anyone without getting laughed out of the building.
I guess I can see that, but that still doesn't really amount for the fact that the porting work must already be done right? Is it really that much of a risk to them not just release the game regardless? I get that it didn't set the world on fire, but hasn't nearly every single Wii U —> Switch port done better than the original release?

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
Watched a bit gameplay were you play on a school bus train but that doesn't look exciting imo.

Perspective is very far away.

Brainiac 8

Oct 27, 2017
This is the first Kickstarter I've ever backed. Totally worth it to get a physical Switch copy. :D

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
Well, I HAD sworn off Kickstarter after getting burned a bit too many times with me going "okay, I'll get the Nintendo version as those are my primary consoles" and then the game ending up straight up broken on that console... but Platinum is pretty clearly having Switch as the focal point here, so it should be fine...

Plus, I already KNOW Wonderful 101 is one of the best games ever made, so there's not a lot of risk there...

ManNR

Feb 13, 2019
I guess I can see that, but that still doesn't really amount for the fact that the porting work must already be done right? Is it really that much of a risk to them not just release the game regardless? I get that it didn't set the world on fire, but hasn't nearly every single Wii U —> Switch port done better than the original release?

Yeah. It bombed because of the WiiU not because the game is bad.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Are people seriously thinking Nintendo would let Astral Chain and Bayonetta, successful games, go multiplat? They're clearly making an exception for Wonderful 101 because it didn't sell well.

ze_

Oct 28, 2017
Probably because they have to convince Nintendo to let the IP go.
Nintendo already gave the go, they just aren't going to fund this.

See here:
Can you elaborate on the status of the IP? Does Platinum now own it?

Inaba:
Unfortunately, we cannot comment on this matter at this time.

It seems surprising that Nintendo has allowed the game to appear on other platforms. Why is that?

Kamiya:
We don't really know! (Laughs) They were really nice about it.

Inaba: Platinum has a really good relationship with Nintendo. We've been with Nintendo from the very beginning and we've released a lot of games with them, including Astral Chain which recently released and was a big success. So I think it's largely thanks to our relationship with Nintendo that they kind of decided to give us a break. I think it's our history that it's largely attributed to. We were quite surprised ourselves. This is usually not something that is allowed in the games industry. We see it as a very unique opportunity that Nintendo has given us and we're pleased to have it.

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
For those on the fence: I will say this is by far the best and most coherent story from Platinum. The voice acting is also absolutely pitch perfect for what they are setting out to do. Even if you're intimidated by challenge of platinum games you can put it to easy mode and enjoy a really fun story!

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
Did anyone think to ask what the degree of Dangen's involvement is? They have a history of coordinating kickstarters. With Nighthawk Interactive listed on the KS page, I'm not really sure what else Dangen would do on the project.

Zarckoh

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico
This is kind of interesting in that it feels almost entirely like a marketing/PR play that already appears to be super successful.

i mean, you can put 2-3 people on a direct port these days and call it a day. It's super easy. $50k is less than the cost to make box art for a game, I doubt they'd need the money unless it was mainly a way to get pre orders. I like it.

It's obviously pure marketing gimmick.

Hiding the relationship with Dangen is also part of it. There must be a clever businessman at Platinum Games.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Platinum isn't really in position to take this kind of risk.

W101 on Wii U bombed real fucking hard, so it's hard to pitch it to anyone without getting laughed out of the building.
Yeah, IMO this is kind of the whole reason Kickstarter exists.

This ask is just a lot more honest because Platinum is a (comparatively) large developer compared to usual indie faire on Kickstarter, and going out on a limb. Most Kickstarters are either lowballed or only part of the funding, from what I've gleaned from various Kickstarter-related interviews over the years. Which makes the realistic funding goals seem absurdly high in comparison.

Hazzuh

Oct 28, 2017
Dangen is involved as of early last week when they sent out a followup PR email making sure journalists didn't have additional questions. The fact that them burying it by not putting it on the KS page means they're not involved is sadly wishful thinking.
That's really bad :/

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Dangen is involved as of early last week when they sent out a followup PR email making sure journalists didn't have additional questions. The fact that them burying it by not putting it on the KS page means they're not involved is sadly wishful thinking.
Well that sucks

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
Platinum is self publishing the game. Most likely Dangen is helping with marketing/pr. Still a shitty situation but probably not deeply involved.

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
Wait a second. Why have I always believed this was a side scroller beat em up? I'm watching a gameplay now and it looks so much more different than what I imagined.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017

Disappointing but not surprising by people ignoring this.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
$36 for a a remaster of an old-ass Wii U game on Steam?

That looks kinda steep.