• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure some buttheads will be mad about this.

AV Club said:
A The Wonder Years reboot is officially in the works for ABC, The A.V. Club has confirmed. The new version of the hit show—which ran for six seasons and 115 episodes between 1988 and 1993—will be a half-hour comedy that focuses on "how a black middle class family in Montgomery, Alabama in the turbulent late 1960's, the same era as the original series, made sure it was The Wonder Years for them too," reads the release.

This new version of The Wonder Years already has a production commitment, and a mini writer's room will be put to work upon pilot script approval. The series will be produced by 20th Century Fox Television, with Saladin Patterson, Lee Daniels, Marc Velez, and original Wonder Years star Fred Savage serving as executive producers. Savage will also serve as a director while original series co-creator Neal Marlens is on board as a consultant.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Huh. Interesting. That's a pretty clever way to reuse an idea, hopefully they pull it off.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Can we keep the opening theme song. Would take a different version.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
A comedy about a black family, set in the 60's in Montgomery, Alabama?

That sounds like a very, very easy thing to fuck up, but it's a go big or go home premise, so best of luck to them.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i hope they don't cower away from the racism. although i wish it was more like the actual show and not a comedy.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Wow that's a great idea. We will be hearing about the Freedom Riders, Diner sit-ins and the Selma march for sure.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Probably my favorite all time show. This existing takes nothing away from the memories I've already made. Hopefully it's done well and a new generation can feel like I did growing up with those beloved characters. The premise sounds great.

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
this sounds fantastic. interesting to see fred savage involved. i'll definitely keep my eyes on this.

OP
OP
ElectricBlanketFire

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017

That sounds like a very, very easy thing to fuck up, but it's a go big or go home premise, so best of luck to them.
Feel the exact same way.

Two of the executive producers are black so I'm guessing they'll treat the premise with the respect it deserves.

And yeah...it certainly had comedic elements, but the original Wonder Years is much more drama to the point of it being depressing (and I love the show).

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC

Is wonder years considered a comedy?

Anyway, premise sounds interesting. Definitely something that can be fucked up, but only really considering that the industry is dominated by white people and we've yet to see who's in the writers room on this one. Producers don't really mean much.

Oct 25, 2017
I think the shift in focus is a great idea, but I think it should be set in 1988. The Wonder Years wasn't about the 1960's as much as was about an adult looking back on a childhood that the target audience could also remember.

I'm down either way though.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
Huh.
So, both my parents lived this exact setting, so I'll be interested to see their take on it.

It shouldn't be tough to film on location because West Montgomery looks like it hasn't changed in literally 30 years.
The suburban stagnation is shocking.

Browser

Apr 13, 2019
holy shit very excited for this, awesome idea if done right.

In the original we got to see all aspects of the 60s through kevin arnold's eyes, which diluted the more controversial aspects but still gave us all the drama. i hope they go the same route, and touch on all aspects of racism in america in the 60s, people need to be reminded of that history.

JohnsonUT

Oct 27, 2017
Does wonder years hold up today? I havent watched since it originally aired. My recollection was it would feel like a lot of shows today. It blended drama and comedy and walked a line between social awareness and general entertainment. I imagine though it would probably be a little slow and boring, but I am basing this all off of my memories as a child.

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
Yeah, it had its comedic moments, but it was pretty dramatic at times. More of a coming of age show than a comedy.
Yup.

I absolutely love the idea. I hope the adult voice we hear narrating is cool. Daniel Stern was simply amazing.

I think what's great about the show was how at least one character was relatable, and everyone was human. All flawed in their own way.

While I agree the theme song is iconic, I would like to see a different song, or maybe the song covered by someone else. And yes, I know it was already a cover. But shit, at this point, who doesn't prefer Joe Cocker singing over Ringo?

OP
OP
ElectricBlanketFire

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
Does wonder years hold up today? I havent watched since it originally aired. My recollection was it would feel like a lot of shows today. It blended drama and comedy and walked a line between social awareness and general entertainment. I imagine though it would probably be a little slow and boring, but I am basing this all off of my memories as a child.

My wife and I watched recently and it had more of an impact on me as an adult than a kid.

The only thing that sucked was Netflix couldn't use the original theme due to rights issues, so they had to use some awful knockoff.

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
Remember growing up as a kid watching this on Nick at Nite in the early, early 90s obsessively when they still did reruns of old shows after Nickelodeon was done. First exposure to what suburb living was supposed to be like as a kid who lived in a city. Recall thinking it seemed like nothing at all to what I experienced as a kid but was still a good show. Old intro was iconic

JohnsonUT

Oct 27, 2017
I think the shift in focus is a great idea, but I think it should be set in 1988. The Wonder Years wasn't about the 1960's as much as was about an adult looking back on a childhood that the target audience could also remember.

This is a really interesting point. The Wonder Years in many ways was meant to appeal to middle aged boomers. It mixed idealizing the 60s with criticizing the 60s. Is this show aimed at Boomers who want to make America great again? Or, is it aimed at middle aged people now who will tend to be less forgiving of the 60s which we mostly know from movies (that tend to be critical)? If the latter, I don't see how it could have the feel good nostalgia?

A show set in the 80s, with a black family, could definitely scratch the nostalgia itch, through music and entertainment, and the social difficulties of living under the Reagan administration and the continued systematic issues that the 60s failed to solve and in many ways exasperated.

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hartford, CT
With Fred on board I'm trusting that this will be a great coming of age drama with bits of comedy like the original. The show had some great drama and emotion in it so I expect the same of this and with it taking place in Alabama in the 60s of all places I'm sure they are going to tackle some really tough subjects.

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
I realize the significance of the 60s, but wasn't the original Wonder Years largely capitalizing on Boomer nostalgia?

Who is this show targeting exactly? Not young people, I wouldn't think.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017

My thoughts exactly. Nostalgia played a big part, and it's so long ago that I question whether the writers can really capture that period accurately.

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
I'm happy that a show in that era is being created with a focus on a black family/cast... But how it this anything to do with The Wonder Years? Regardless, more shows with BAME representation is a big win :)

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
A show set in the 80s, with a black family, could definitely scratch the nostalgia itch, through music and entertainment, and the social difficulties of living under the Reagan administration and the continued systematic issues that the 60s failed to solve and in many ways exasperated.

mixed-ish (set in 1986) is covering a lot of that ground but it tends to be more overtly comedic.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
the remake of The Witches also takes place in 60s Alabama focused on black characters

must be something in the water