• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I remember that one too, hahah. Absolutely amazing.

Actually I think the issue may be the opposite. They engage so little with anything outside their own narrow circle of interests, including politics, that they literally can't recognize them even when they're staring them in the face. Unless, of course, someone else points it out to them, usually to rile them up against progressive politics. Ignorance is so easily manipulated.

man they would have known this if they had played metal gear solid 2, an apolitical video game

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Yup. Also, the biggest thing about the industry at large is that it comes off as hypocritical. This industry constantly puts out token messages of inclusion yet does NOTHING when shit actually goes down. Twitch is a big example of this.

Seriously two high profile games this year have had people showing their asses and threatening and harassing devs and the media. Something needs to be fucking said and it really seems like a majority are turning a blind eye. CPDR hasn't said one fucking thing about this.

Gamers are the worst and it's because this industry allows them to be.
I'll take it even further then allow, they want them riled up like this. CDPR never has to defend themselves when 1000s of their fans are happy to attack even the slightest bit of criticism, it's gross.

jakomocha

Oct 29, 2017
California
Always amazes me how the biggest "snowflakes" are the ones that accuse others of being snowflakes. Death threats, harassment, bullying, and whining because some people criticized a product you haven't even played yet

What a bunch of fucking man babies

blue_whale

Nov 1, 2017
lol, isn't this game not even out? it's remarkable that these guys are out there giving death threats because they think some game they haven't even played, isn't being rated highly enough. incel gamers are incredible creatures truly.

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
I am Jack's total lack of surprise.

She also apparently criticised that the game doesn't even touch on anticapitalist themes (again, shockednotthatshocked.gif), and some of the Reddit responses are, well...

It truly boggles the mind that anyone could miss the anticapitalist messages in not just one but every single one of these works. It's like the personification of the "cool future" meme.

Anyone who watches the Matrix and makes those claims is too fucking dumb to have a conversation with.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
Looks like the abuse is trickling over here too:

I feel horrible for Steve (and obviously everyone else here).

cLOUDo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm been saying this for years
The CD proyect's fan base are one of the worst (star wars level of bad)

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
The projection from these idiot man children in that OP.

Gamespot review was solid too, watched it last night before this nonsense. Earnest and with some well considered criticism and praise both.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
I feel for Carolyn. I was an active member on GameSpot when she wrote the review for GTAV and I knew immediately that the hate would come spewing in like raw sewage. The thing is, I thought her review was spot on out of the myriad that I read.

If gamers want to get rid of the stigma behind them, they need to start calling these fuckers out. CDPR also should say something instead of staying silent to knock some of their idiot fans down a peg. Death threats over review scores and opinions is some of the stupidest fucking shit ever.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I feel for Carolyn. I was an active member on GameSpot when she wrote the review for GTAV and I knew immediately that the hate would come spewing in like raw sewage.

If gamers want to get rid of the stigma behind them, they need to start calling these fuckers out. Death threats over review scores and opinions is some of the stupidest fucking shit ever.
The thing too is...these little shits are also the ones who say "Game journalism" is dying for not reviewing games properly, but as soon as someone reviews a game and doesn't just give it hype, they get death threats and hate.

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I am Jack's total lack of surprise.

She also apparently criticised that the game doesn't even touch on anticapitalist themes (again, shockednotthatshocked.gif), and some of the Reddit responses are, well...

It truly boggles the mind that anyone could miss the anticapitalist messages in not just one but every single one of these works. It's like the personification of the "cool future" meme.

Super curious to see how they managed to have Keanu Reeves's character avoid that subject entirely given what I've heard about that character so far.

What a fucking mess.

Oct 25, 2017
I'll take it even further then allow, they want them riled up like this. CDPR never has to defend themselves when 1000s of their fans are happy to attack even the slightest bit of criticism, it's gross.

Gotta agree.

Not only that but there is also another reason a lot of criticism is being ignored. At least right now, and that's because this game is a BIG payday for a lot of people. Not just CDPR but for content creators and those in the media. Aside from actually being paid to stream the game a lot of twitch streamers are about to have a lot eyes on their channels, lots of views on their youtube channels, etc. The gaming media benefits from this as well.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
CDPR became impenetrable from any criticism or any attacks from their fans the second they said "no MXT bullshit". Just because of that, they were put on a white horse, divine pedestal to gamers as being the hero that will fight for gamers across the world.

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
The whole influencer thing is gross but cultivating their fragile fans is also disgusting.

Who would want a fan base like that surrounding your game? I'd be embarrassed.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
i have never been able to understand what kind of screwed logic a person must have to think that the score a reviewer gives to a game automatically determines how good or bad the game is.

like, can't these people play and see for themselves if they like the game?

it's so embarassing to be part of a hobby full of that kind of people.
It's all about biases. Some of these assholes have likely shifted their entire online identity to defending CDPR and Cyberpunk77 all year, it was always going to end like this with them.

Gotta agree.

Not only that but there is also another reason a lot of criticism is being ignored. At least right now, and that's because this game is a BIG payday for a lot of people. Not just CDPR but for content creators and those in the media. Aside from actually being paid to stream the game a lot of twitch streamers are about to have a lot eyes on their channels, lots of views on their youtube channels, etc. The gaming media benefits from this as well.
Oh yeah no doubt, everyone gonna be thristy for whatever gameplay clips they can get right now and deep dives from streamers.

Falore

Banned
Feb 15, 2019
I think there is some nuance to this matter....

1.First and foremost nether of these critics should be getting harassed for posting their analysis on the game (even if it is flawed it is still their attempt to post their thought under tight time constraints)

2. While the above is true I genuinely do not believe that these critics are being targeted based on their gender, believe it's a case of gamers being very volatile, toxic, and defensive of what they percieve as an attack on a game they want to love. I think back to the jim sterling breath of the wild fiasco which led to him taking a lot of threats and attacks over his score of another huge game.

3. I do believe that misogyny impacts a lot of aspects of society and historically women have had to work harder just for the right to be treated equal or recognized adequately for their work. That being said I realize there were some male critics that rated the game low as well but have not taken as much heat for it. I truly believe that in this specific case it is due to the fact that Gamespot, etcare considered "the big leagues" for mainstream review score exposure.

Fox news, CNN, MSNBC for example will always be under a bigger spotlight than say our local news personalities. Perhaps this is not an idea comparison but I hope I'm at least properly putting my thoughts on this matter to paper. Above all else though my first point is the most important - none of these critics should be getting harassed, bullied, or threatened for doing their jobs or expressing an opinion.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
CDPR became impenetrable from any criticism or any attacks from their fans the second they said "no MXT bullshit". Just because of that, they were put on a white horse, divine pedestal to gamers as being the hero that will fight for gamers across the world.

It's funny because that's probably how they see this. Maybe in their mind they're defending a company that "puts gamers first" which is still bull because other games have released with no DLC and not been defended by these cretins. Horizon Zero Dawn didn't have any DLC on launch, made one high quality expansion and was a RPG as well, but I doubt these people were harassing reviewers who gave that game middling scores. Sexism is deeply rooted in this response.

Djavanes

Nov 15, 2017
Reviewing a game do not bring any good for the industry. We have some 10/10, some 7/10. What is the point in giving a score for a piece of art? They should only talk about technical points and game mechanics as Digital Foundry does. And give an opinion, not a score.
All this just bring hate and an unwelcome competition between games, consoles and people. Games are made for entertainment. We are losing that with all this bull%*.

cartographer

Oct 25, 2017

1.First and foremost nether of these critics should be getting harassed for posting their analysis on the game (even if it is flawed it is still their attempt to post their thought under tight time constraints)

2. While the above is true I genuinely do not believe that these critics are being targeted based on their gender, believe it's a case of gamers being very volatile, toxic, and defensive of what they percieve as an attack on a game they want to love. I think back to the jim sterling breath of the wild fiasco which led to him taking a lot of threats and attacks over his score of another huge game.

3. I do believe that misogyny impacts a lot of aspects of society and historically women have had to work harder just for the right to be treated equal or recognized adequately for their work. That being said I realize there were some male critics that rated the game low as well but have not taken as much heat for it. I truly believe that in this specific case it is due to the fact that Gamespot, etcare considered "the big leagues" for mainstream review score exposure.

Fox news, CNN, MSNBC for example will always be under a bigger spotlight than say our local news personalities. Perhaps this is not an idea comparison but I hope I'm at least properly putting my thoughts on this matter to paper. Above all else though my first point is the most important - none of these critics should be getting harassed, bullied, or threatened for doing their jobs or expressing an opinion.

The short answer to all of this is you are wrong.

It's misogny from fans of a company who specifically cultivated that element in their fanbase, both through the content of their games and the way they choose to market them.

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The comments steeped in sexism and misogyny is not a coincidence or an unintentional reaction to being mad about a game review.

Why twist yourself into a Pretzel to downplay this? Who are you defending?

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017

Nah, I don't buy it. They always come after women so much harder. Look at Sarkeesian. She was an absolute nobody at the time that people started targeting her. She was a recent college graduate who had a reasonably successful kickstarter for a youtube show. That was it. However, her being a woman, and her being an outspoken feminist, made her the target of an endless barrage of attacks.

Do "gamers" go after male reviewers for writing reviews they disagree with? Absolutely. But they always go after women more furiously. Always.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Reviewing a game do not bring any good for the industry. We have some 10/10, some 7/10. What is the point in giving a score for a piece of art? They should only talk about technical points and game mechanics as Digital Foundry does. And give an opinion, not a score.
All this just bring hate and an unwelcome competition between games, consoles and people. Games are made for entertainment. We are losing that with all this bull%*.
And no other form of entertainment is subject of reviews?

cartographer

Oct 25, 2017
Criticism exists alongside art. It exists alongside entertainment. This is not new.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Chixdiggit

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
100% I have always hated game reviews for this reason.

CheeseConey

Oct 27, 2017
Cancelled my preorder for this game last week because I haven't been able to find a PS5 but now I am not sure I even want to get it at all. The shit from CDPR and the shitty "fans" makes me want nothing to do with it.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The funniest is how C2077 has ended to be a puffy visual novel with action, simulation and roleplaying layers thinner than Notch's intellect. And now reading all these dorks who are cosplaying "RPGs purists" to harass reviewers has something doubly pathetic.

Also, being released in this poor state after seven years shows that the studio hasn't proved anything than their amateurish management and aren't in the Rockstar class they wanted, something barely excusable regarding the money, time and workforce dedicated to the project.

C2077 won't be the classic their fans wanted, and a a bunch of them are trying to silence everyone pointing it.

Falore

Banned
Feb 15, 2019

Yikes that is without a bad look on him then and very sad if that is the driving factor behind his criticism (as appears to be the case). My observations on this matter when I made my post stemmed from two things 1. the toxicity gamers seem to exhibit when they turn into a rabid hive mind when it comes to review scores and 2. the jim sterling situation.

Based on that tweet you have shown it shows that some of these people absolutely aren't acting in good faith with their assessment of low review scores and are being more critical of a womans critique...very unfortunate that people are like this.

EDIT:

I want to add the way this game is shaping up it really strikes me as a game that wll be great later but kind of trash tier now. I was not a fan of the 7 / 10 gamespot score but to be fair i'm honestly unhapppy with every single pre-release. Especially ones that don't account for console performance (which will be worse than what these reviews have shown).

I know it won't happen but I wish we could just scrap every review that was pumped out prior to today and start over.

Djavanes

Nov 15, 2017
There is no point in giving a score. What is the metric? Every site has one. There is no universal rules to follow. And then you have meta critic that put all the reviews in the same metric. This is ridiculous. I can only imagine if chess was invented today and reviewed by the game industry. This is no excuse for the toxic and criminal opinions, but for me, this just work as a hate machine.

Alexhex

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
On that note, She was clearly not the right choice to pick to review the game, seems to not enjoy RPG's, and not reviewing huge parts of the game is just extremely odd.
Not really. Perspectives from totally different angles are really important when it comes to criticism. There are people out there who might not generally likes rpgs but are interested in this one, and people who only want to mainline the story. The review could speak to certain audiences better

cartographer

Oct 25, 2017
There is no point in giving a score. What is the metric? Every site has one. There is no universal rules to follow. And then you have meta critic that put all the reviews in the same metric. This is ridiculous. I can only imagine if chess was invented today and reviewed by the game industry. This is no excuse for the toxic and criminal opinions, but for me, this just work as a hate machine.
Would you mind connecting this point to the two reviews this thread is referring to? One of which had no score? Seems misognystic fan boys harassed even without a score.

Anything relevant to the harassment or just hand wringing about criticism?

Djavanes

Nov 15, 2017
I'm just sad about all that hate. And I think some of that, origins from the fact that we are reviewing, giving score and promoting competition on work of art. We are giving score to a feeling. But you are right, that's not the main focus of this discussion. I'm just getting something off my chest.

Mesoian

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
Capital G gamers have been at it today.

The giant bomb twitch chat was particularly vile today during their Cyberpunk QL.

tenor.gif

I know it won't happen but I wish we could just scrap every review that was pumped out prior to today and start over.

There's no one to blame but CDPR for that and if you honestly feel that, then you should be of the opinion that the game should have been delayed again.

IMO - This game should have released in february.

Oct 27, 2017
You score a consumer product when you evaluate it. That's what game reviewers are for the most part - product evaluators: spend some time with the product, and rate the product and the experience it provided.

Some directly provide purchasing advice, even. A "consumer report", if you will.

Critique as art or societal lens or cultural artifact may come later, occasionally alongside or inside a review, or much of the time not at all.

Equating aggregated scores to value, as gaming fandom and industry players alike have done, both prevents games from being seen as art, and absolves the creators of the implications of releasing a creative work that is open to critique. When the ratings and sales can say it all, what obligation do they have to speak to what they have created? (And if the ratings and sales are low, do they even get the chance?)

And similarly for players, what obligation do they have to speak to what they played when the ratings and sales can do it for them?

I don't see the industry as willing to unwind from that currently, and it may help if they eventually do.

But some fandoms tightly cling to product ratings as a safe space for value. They decry their favorite products being denied ratings as if they themselves are being deplatformed from their own gamerverse, when that is precisely what they seek for their targets. And by their selection of targets you can get a sense of the platform they are afraid of losing - a prejudiced, phobic one.

SpartaNNNN

Nov 12, 2020
Get a life seriously, all these nerds sitting behind a monitor and talking crap to someone who's writing to get paid

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm confused. You think games should be treated as works of art, but then you say they should only be critiqued on technical qualities, which is exactly the opposite of how we treat art.

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...
Wonder how many of these people would say this stuff in person 🤔 this behavior is disgusting
I know you're asking rhetorically, but I'll cover it for people who might not follow-- Nah. They're all complete cowards away from a keyboard. Without exception. Someone could walk up in plain view, pick their pocket and walk off, and they wouldn't stand up for themselves. Hell, I have a diagnosed social anxiety disorder and would stand up for myself better than these losers.