• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mercador

Nov 18, 2017
Quebec City
Some people are pretty stupid. However, this thread might just fan the flames even more so I'm not sure what's the point at the end?

Deleted member 40853

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 9, 2018
How embarrassing for CDPR, and for the Era posters who complained they couldn't get properly excited in the thread about these reviews. So much toxicity and pain over a toy. Pathetic.

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
This game and company are such a mess. I'd hope as a community we'd have reached a point where the loud majority realizes no game is worth real people getting hurt and attacked. This game should've been panned by fans and mainstream personalities alike a handful of controversies back, but sadly it seems most are still content to excuse this type of toxic behaviour, including the developer. I fully expect the game to get awards in a year's time, even though it should be out of the running for how the developers have handled all this.

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
i have never been able to understand what kind of screwed logic a person must have to think that the score a reviewer gives to a game automatically determines how good or bad the game is.

like, can't these people play and see for themselves if they like the game?

it's so embarassing to be part of a hobby full of that kind of people.

Look! The Pie!

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Of course they are. Gamers are, by and large, scum who end up tying their entire identity and sense of self to the products they consume and the people who make them because they have such little actual fulfilment in their lives. I hope the reviewers concerned have good people around them.

striderno9

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
New York, NY
I found myself in a bit of a whirlwind on Twitter today when I woke up after defending Kallie's review (which was 4000 words, holy fuck, and 35 hours worth of just sidequests) when people were calling her lazy last night. I had a lot of replies from a lot of really immature children that were simply reacting based on what they were told because not a single one of them could tell me they read her review.

beansontoast

One Winged Slayer
Jan 5, 2020
Where is this mainstream opinion? Star Wars is a great example because as big a flaming shit as the last one was, the rottentomatoes audience score is at fucking 86% where you expect the fanboys to reign supreme.

They have overblown internet importance outside of the fact one day they will actually hurt their targets. TLOU2 did fine with sales, did fine with critiques, its just the out of touch gaming bubble that we are all in that makes us think these chuds have weight
I think the fact that Disney effectively felt compelled to rewrite the Rise of Skywalker (into the flaming shit that we agree it was) in order to address complaints from the backlash (including basically writing Kelly Marie Tran's character out of it almost entirely), shows that those chuds *did* have weight and that execs were scared of them and so appeased them. It's hard to gauge the impact on sales and I imagine in the short term it had very little influence, but (speaking purely anecdotally from talking to people outside the bubble) I think there has been a longer term effect on enthusiasm for those franchises.

It's obviously important to recognise that a lot of what we're talking about happens in a subculture bubble, but it's also important not to underestimate how much ideas being spread in a bubble can cut through and have an effect on the mainstream. And every time it does have an effect (just like with TLJ) these toxic pricks feel emboldened that the next campaign they wage will work.

Mar 8, 2018
I think the fact that Disney effectively felt compelled to rewrite the Rise of Skywalker (into the flaming shit that we agree it was) in order to address complaints from the backlash (including basically writing Kelly Marie Tran's character out of it almost entirely), shows that those chuds *did* have weight and that execs were scared of them and so appeased them. It's hard to gauge the impact on sales and I imagine in the short term it had very little influence, but (speaking purely anecdotally from talking to people outside the bubble) I think there has been a longer term effect on enthusiasm for those franchises.

It's obviously important to recognise that a lot of what we're talking about happens in a subculture bubble, but it's also important not to underestimate how much ideas being spread in a bubble can cut through and have an effect on the mainstream. And every time it does have an effect (just like with TLJ) these toxic pricks feel emboldened that the next campaign they wage will work.
Right. TROS becomes this strange recursive conversation with a segment of the fanbase precisely because of a very specific type of heightened critique that was directed at TLJ.

There's a two-fold risk to the continued cultivation of or acquiescence to this crowd. The first is that actual people who are targeted will continue to be harmed. The second is, as you've identified, media companies who are in search of the apparent path of least resistance and broadest acceptance, will warp their output in response to certain types of backlash. The result is that the gaters effectively shift the cultural middle ground in their direction, and that's unacceptable, IMO.

CaptainK

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
It's frustrating that there's no ramifications for shitty toxic behaviour, and for the companies like CDPR and THQ Nordic that bolster it. Sigh.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn

Disney being cowards proves the point, no? My point isn't that the execs are not afraid, but its a needless fear since there's no concrete proof these gamer gate movements lead to real world sales impact. Disney cuts one movie, chuds hate. Disney cuts a sequel bowing to their sexism and Skywalker masturbation fantasies, chuds still hate. We shouldn't give them credit for films that underperformed because critically they were off and disappointing, as opposed to being this successful underground movement that doesn't even show up on a ratings poll. Toxic star wars fans didn't save their asian woman free film

Gaming is mainstream; most of the buyers of Cyberpunk won't know about any of this. We make fun of the clueless gamestop guy as a cliche but the reason he keeps his job is because most of the customers are as clueless.

We are at the point where the angry minority is guiding the conversation. The irony is on the inverse its not like games tailored to their fantasy like Deliverance become these sleeper sales hits...they sell the numbers expected to sell to the dude who walks in a mall and chats up a gamestop employee on what he thinks is cool.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
That's the type CDPR has been proudly encouraging for months.

So embarassing, infuriating and deeply disgusting. We need so much better moderation and zero tolerance for...whatever we should call this pathetic group of people.

They aren't welcome, should never feel that way.
CDPR worked hard to cultivate this so it's not surprising as much as it is impossibly depressing.

Yup. This needs to be loud and clear here on this site, but the fact that so many will buy the game, play the game and praise the ever living shit out of CDPR while completely ignoring the fact of how they have cultivated this and it is because of them that this is happening, is nothing less than disapointing.

sun-drop

Banned
Aug 21, 2018
wellington , new zealand
doesn't this happen all the time? to any reviewer who doesn't rate a game as the audience would like? i know i have disagreed with verge and polygon scores a ton. yes that doesn't mean i have a right to abuse anyone but lets be real .. the great unwashed gen pop out there has access to the net too and insults fly. i dnt think highlighting the fact these reviewers are women is really needed

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
So this website called Notebookcheck does pretty much the best technical laptop reviews.
And I was looking up how the Macbook Air fared in their review when I saw this shitty article on their home page
www.notebookcheck.net

Gamers are not happy about Gamespot's baffling review of Cyberpunk 2077

The video continues to be massively downvoted for the reviewer's unpopular comments about the game world and her seeming disinterest in many of the games periphery activities.
QW9jxvt.png

Like what the fuck.
I'm just speechless that this is what this "professional" site is spewing.
This reads like an AI-generated article. Which says a lot about the quality of articles that website publishes.

Mercador

Nov 18, 2017
Quebec City
This thread isn't going to stop nor spread what is already going on. ERA doesn't have any fucking sway. It's fine to shine a light and talk about this stuff.
Flames will be fanned regardless. Just ignoring this and thinking that will make it better has constantly shown not to work.
I guess you are right, I think that the crowd here is pretty much informed on these issues. But bringing those stupid posts just brew the anger even more.. Call me stupid but there's already enough anger in the world already, no need to go even further.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
A huge subset of gamers have always been the very thing they ironically meme and mock, Karen's.

Nimmermehr

Oct 27, 2017
I was really looking forward to this game, but these people make me feel miserable for just sharing the same hobby..

Mar 8, 2018
doesn't this happen all the time? to any reviewer who doesn't rate a game as the audience would like? i know i have disagreed with verge and polygon scores a ton. yes that doesn't mean i have a right to abuse anyone but lets be real .. the great unwashed gen pop out there has access to the net too and insults fly. i dnt think highlighting the fact these reviewers are women is really needed
Just because gaming culture is frequently toxic and awful to everyone doesn't mean that it can't be especially toxic and awful to women and other groups. There's a reason why this happens at a heightened level when it's women writing about games, and we should call it out when it happens. And even if it isn't targeted based on gender (which it is), it's not satisfactory to just say this is part of a normal latent level of toxicity, because that should be unacceptable too.

Oct 30, 2017
I just wanna discuss my game!

Fuck outta here. This game has brought the absolute worst out of grown ass adults. I wish it was an absolute failure.

Mobyduck

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Those are the people CDPR were courting during their advertisement campaign. I imagine they must be thrilled with their fanbase defending their game against complains by women and other minorities.

HonestAbe

May 19, 2020
Gamers are terrible. I'm not at all surprised by this. Social media can be such a detriment. People hide behind it and think it okay. I asked my wife to sell my extra Series X and controller (for no profit mind you) because my friend said he got some nasty messages. I thought because it was her people would have some respect and she has a great rating in FB marketplace. The messages she got...freaking scum of the earth these people. Had her take the post down.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
That's so fucking stupid and embarrassing.

Gamers seriously need to grow the fuck up.

Pointing out issues with games and representation isn't some indictment on you, the player. It's about raising awareness and trying to bring about a positive change to make gaming more inclusive and welcoming to everyone, not just some of you.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I am Jack's total lack of surprise.

She also apparently criticised that the game doesn't even touch on anticapitalist themes (again, shockednotthatshocked.gif), and some of the Reddit responses are, well...
https://www.reddit.com/r/cyberpunkgame/comments/k9gprk/an_indepth_critique_of_kallie_plagges_gamespot/gf4fukn/ said:
huge swaths of cyberpunk have no anti capitalist themes at all. It's an easy setting device but it's not integral at all to the genre.
Do androids dream..., ghost in the shell, tron, her, total recall, the matrix, terminator, etc. none of which are Grr CaPitAlIsm

It truly boggles the mind that anyone could miss the anticapitalist messages in not just one but every single one of these works. It's like the personification of the "cool future" meme.

RedFury

Oct 27, 2017
The cognitive dissonance of the 3rd to last one. "Doesn't mean I hate you", [now sit there and listen to me woman as I hate you].

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
I am Jack's total lack of surprise.

She also apparently criticised that the game doesn't even touch on anticapitalist themes (again, shockednotthatshocked.gif), and some of the Reddit responses are, well...

It truly boggles the mind that anyone could miss the anticapitalist messages in not just one but every single one of these works. It's like the personification of the "cool future" meme.

This reminds me of when people say politics has no place in games and use Metal Gear Solid as an example of apolitical game. I think it just shows how little people engage with the media they consume and claim to love.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
This reminds me of when people say politics has no place in games and use Metal Gear Solid as an example of apolitical game. I think it just shows how little people engage with the media they consume and claim to love.

I remember that one too, hahah. Absolutely amazing.

Actually I think the issue may be the opposite. They engage so little with anything outside their own narrow circle of interests, including politics, that they literally can't recognize them even when they're staring them in the face. Unless, of course, someone else points it out to them, usually to rile them up against progressive politics. Ignorance is so easily manipulated.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had a similar post in another thread but CDPR shares some of the responsibility on this. they have been feeding the flames of cyberpunk 2077 and anyone critizing it. They are just as guilty as the ones attacking her.

RedOnePunch

Oct 26, 2017
Ignoring bullying is literally the worst advice you could give.
A practical solution is for other outlets to show solidarity, for everyone of them to grill CDPR about it, and for the industry as a whole to denounce this shit.
The utter apathy of the industry is what allows this to fester.
Would help if CDPR told them to fuck off. Other outlets showing solidarity doesn't mean much when they're all the enemy in their eyes.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
Not that its an excuse, but how many of those comments I wonder were written by adults?
I feel like a lot of these online assholes that spew vile shit are teens who do it for the "luls" and because the internet has given
them anonymity and a voice before their minds have even finished learning how to think yet.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Not that its an excuse, but how many of those comments I wonder were written by adults?
I feel like a lot of these online assholes that spew vile shit are teens who do it for the "luls" and because the internet has given
them anonymity and a voice before their minds have even finished learning how to think yet.
A lot of them are adults. The quivering is an almost 40 year old manchild himself.

Oct 28, 2017

They're adults, the worst of the bunch are always well into their adulthood. They never got past the phase where they felt victimised for their nerdy hobbies and are now basically gatekeeping wider society so they can keep their nerdy culture club exclusive and not tainted by the whims of other more normal people.

Kasai

Jan 24, 2018
I read the polygon review, and it was solid. It talks about how the game about cyberpunk, doesn't really address the biggest fucking elephant in the room:transhumanism, and actively cultivates transphobia in the world building and in-game art.

The Facebook comments are trash, and I was about to defend the author, but as I typed out a response, 6 or 7 super trash comments appeared in seconds, and I realized the futility of my work.

Nov 11, 2017
Like clockwork, the gaming community at large never fails to make me embarrassed for not only my hobby but my species. Not a single thought in these people's heads, just reactionary hatefulness, and there only seems to be more of them with each passing year. The bar is SO low you guys, just be a fucking human being, how is that so much to ask

ugh

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
These type of scum is why considering yourself a gamer is embarrassing. Cyberpunk is my most anticipated game this year and want to play it to death but i can see and respect others opinions. Sadly, this type of shit has always happened. The most anticipated games always attracts the roaches.