• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

janoGX

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Chile
I understand people not liking the game for one reason or another, harassing is horrible for someone who's putting their opinion out. Hope those people who harassed those women pay someday.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
As I'm understanding it, "arrgghhhh she didn't do everything in the game!" is their excuse for this shit? Because, boy, do they not understand the review process at all.

Not to mention, uh...

Saw this tweeted and it couldn't be more true.

Eo0npuPU8AATB5o

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
I've seen an otherwise reasonable person claim that the 7 from gamespot was given just to garner clicks (citing the Kane & Lynch scandal 13 years ago as the reason why gamespot would need to be so desperate for survival). That person would never harass a reviewer for something like this, but the point is that the AAA marketing hype cycle makes even reasonable people lose perspective.

Now apply this to unreasonable misogynists instead and you get the current deplorable situation
I love how they never consider that 9's and 10's in other reviews might be given just to avoid harassment and death threats a slightly lower (but still decent) score would bring.

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017
Education and empathy. Trolls like this exist because they don't believe women are equal and as such don't deserve to have a voice. This goes further than just women, obviously, but that's the subject at hand. Instilling empathy into children goes a great length in stemming this kind of problem.

Because this kind of problem doesn't just result in trolling women who reviewed a game poorly, it applies to many other issues.
i don't think this has nothing to do with the fact that they're women. it would've happened the same if a guy gave cp2077 a low score. remember jim sterling and botw.

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
TQ has posted a new video playing the fucking victim. Because of course he has.

"I don't support mob rule and harassment, but LOOK AT THESE PEOPLE WHO ARE SAYING I'M BAD"

Get in the fucking bin. Absolute cretin.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
CDPR definitely needs to address this, but I'm also scared of how that could intensify the Gamersrage considering how well it went the last time CDPR apologized.

CDPR isn't going to say anything. They've been quiet about the transphobia they directly put in the game, they're definitely not going to make a statement about the actions of their fans. So much of the marketing of this game has catered to the worst of their fanbase.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
Gotta love how harassment is basically gamer discourse 101.

They should get all punched in the fucking face. Imagine harassing someone's mother over a videogame review. Imagine the entitlement and depravity in harassing someone's mother over a videogame. These aren't good people I want to associate with even online. It makes me disgusted to still have it as hobby.
Them harassing her mother isn't even the worst of it. There's people sending her messages that look like support and when she opens them they play seizure triggering videos. The FBI should be rounding these fucks up.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
i don't think this has nothing to do with the fact that they're women. it would've happened the same if a guy gave cp2077 a low score. remember jim sterling and botw.
There was a guy that gave a lower score, Jeff Grub, they still chose the women to target because they will always choose the women of there's a choice.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
I think blaming this on CDPR is too charitable. It implicitly ties this behavior only to this game when it is the reality for women in gamer spaces regardless of who made the game. Yes, CDPR sucks and has done tons of damage, but no, it would not have been any different if these women reviewed another hotly anticipated game. We just went through this with TLoU 2 earlier this year.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When its that dipshit who has a tweet on the first page its 100% about women. Quartering is a colossal dipshit and I wish nothing but misery on him.

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
This is horrible and infuriating but also completely expected after that endless marketing campaign aimed at fifteen-year-old edgelords. Hope it gets better once those fuckers are busy playing their buggy, futuristic GTA and many of them walk away disappointed.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
It's sad that I only see Liana pop up in my timeline when people are being absolutely horrific to her.

Guess I should follow her to fix that.

Well, I mean, she was also very dismissive of CDPR's crunch and more or less attacked Jason Schreier for his reporting and may have not so subtly signaled others to attack him as well (I'm undecided if it was something she did actively or if it just so happened to be adjacent to a lot of the people who latched on to her to harass Jason), so while obviously no one deserves any of this kind of treatment, especially since her main 'sin' is reporting that the game can literally give you seizures, I wouldn't lionize her either really tbh.

Oct 25, 2017
I am very much looking forward to the game and even though there were a few points during the video where I went "Well that's the point", I enjoyed Kallie Plagge's take on the game and appreciate her review. All of her qualms with the game were very reasonable or a difference of taste, and I think I enjoyed the nuance in it more than IGN's "this game is totally sick" video review.

Gamers crying over somebody's opinion of a game being only a decent bit better than average is a joke, especially when the game has sold millions of copies 6 months before it even launched and, news flash, opinions differ.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

Nah. Women who grade against the grain are punished infinitely more harshly than men are. That doesn't mean men don't also get harassed - they do - but women get far more of it.

Oct 27, 2017
TQ has posted a new video playing the fucking victim. Because of course he has.

"I don't support mob rule and harassment, but LOOK AT THESE PEOPLE WHO ARE SAYING I'M BAD"

Get in the fucking bin. Absolute cretin.

I can't understand how the fuck that dude has sponsors.

Displate sponsors him, so hot tip, never buy anything from them.

OT:

I feel for the reviewers going foward, I can't imagine how that feels.

The gaming community is filled with sad fucking goblins.

Altairre

Oct 25, 2017
CDPR worked hard to cultivate this so it's not surprising as much as it is impossibly depressing.
While this is absolutely true and CDPR deserve all the flak they get for it, it's also a huge Gamer™ issue in general. I still remember the exact same thing after that GTAV 9/10 Gamespot review (which was coincidentally also written by Petit). Happens almost every time some huge release comes out and a woman dares to give it a less than perfect score.

wastingmyyouth

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 10, 2020
Sometimes I wish the internet wasn't anonymous so people might actually be accountable for the abhorrent things they say.

Seriously, fuck the video gamer community. More vocal bad apples than good.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
What's the practical solution here?

These assholes aren't going away. Making a big deal about this shit just feeds the ego of these losers and encourages copycats. If you think shining a big light on this behavior will lead to some kind of self-reflection and pledge to do better you are kidding yourself. I think making a big fuss over trolls just makes the problem worse.

One practical solution would be if developers and publishers started paying any attention to this shit at all and made it clear that these people aren't welcome in whatever community they think they're part of. Publishers were all too happy to ignore GG in 2014 as long as these people kept buying their games and nothing has changed in the years since. So far I've seen one single developer (Mike Bithell) call this shit out, and that wasn't even directly.

Unfortuntately the chances of any major company (let alone one as blatantly bigoted as CDPR) standing up to this shit seems to be zero at this point.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
At this point, i feel borderline ashamed to be looking forward to playing this.

Semfry

Oct 25, 2017
There's also the woman who pointed out the epilepsy inducing moment who literally had people intentionally sending epilepsy triggers, which is pretty much attempted murder.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Ah yes The Quartering, who says its ok to attack the gay community because he has "Two gay black dads" he can't prove, and even if he did, he still isn't right.

Fuck the Quartering, fuck his fans and fuck anyone who attacks journalists over video game reviews.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
If someone told me last year that in the Cyberpunk release day I would have 0 hype and playing Fortnite, I would die laughing.

The Witcher 3 kinda changed the way I looked at games. Depressing af situation.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Well, I mean, she was also very dismissive of CDPR's crunch and more or less attacked Jason Schreier for his reporting and may have not so subtly signaled others to attack him as well (I'm undecided if it was something she did actively or if it just so happened to be adjacent to a lot of the people who latched on to her), so while obviously no one deserves any of this kind of treatment, especially since her main 'sin' is reporting that the game can literally give you seizures, I wouldn't lionize her either really tbh.
That was more of a miscommunication, she didn't defend crunch, she said that she had dev contacts that were saying some different things from some reports and she didn't actually mean Jason's report (nor did she mention Jason at that stage) and no she didn't send people after Jason, she was the one that ended up getting attacked by people. It was a big load of nothing that was a misunderstanding between journalists that wouldn't have been anything if the internet didn't get involved. Bringing it up on a thread like this is horrible.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020

Did you not see the thing with Jeff Grub? He gave the game a lower score than the woman at Gamespot, but doesn't have a bunch of videos and big harassment campaigns against him. I mean, yeah, at least some of that is Gamespot is a much bigger outlet than Gamesbeat, but it's not just a coincidence that one of those getting the hate is a woman.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
It's quite sad that I'm not surprised by this at all. It's become so common with big games that I almost expect it every time.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I love how they never consider that 9's and 10's in other reviews might be given just to avoid harassment and death threats a slightly lower (but still decent) score would bring.
Yeah. This behaviour among toxic consumers of games media essentially punishes thoughtful criticism and elevates empty pr fluff pieces. It's pretty wild. I don't envy people having to deal with Gamers as part of their job, that's for sure

Falcon511

Oct 27, 2017
I saw The Quartering was back on Twitter. I thought he went to that other place. But yeah it probably comes from him.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Gamespot and Polygon are getting attacked by the alt right for calling out blatant transphobia and misogyny. They are attack dogs being sent out by that PoS the quarterpoundering. This is a deliberate attack for specific reasons.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
That was more of a miscommunication, she didn't defend crunch, she said that she had dev contacts that were saying some different things from some reports and she didn't actually mean Jason's report (nor did she mention Jason at that stage) and no she didn't send people after Jason, she was the one that ended up getting attacked by people. It was a big load of nothing that was a misunderstanding between journalists that wouldn't have been anything if the internet didn't get involved. Bringing it up on a thread like this is horrible.

No, that's not true. She said that reports of crunch were overexaggerated (of which Jason was the only one reporting on it regularly at the time) and called Jason and all 'his followers' toxic. And like I said, she may not have been signaling for people to do that, but there were definitely a lot of other people, probably a lot of these same people ironically, who latched onto it. They may have worked it out later on or something (as far as I know, they never communicated, but that may be incorrect), but it was not just a simple miscommunication.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Sometimes I wish the internet wasn't anonymous so people might actually be accountable for the abhorrent things they say.

Seriously, fuck the video gamer community. More vocal bad apples than good.
I think recent years have shown us that lack of anonymity isn't enough to serve as a deterrent to toxic online behavior. Lots of people behave like this on non-anonymous accounts

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Yeah. This behaviour among toxic consumers of games media essentially punishes thoughtful criticism and elevates empty pr fluff pieces. It's pretty wild. I don't envy people having to deal with Gamers as part of their job, that's for sure
I don't even blame game reviewers for doing it, of course the idea of death threats and harassment is going to affect your work, how could it not? No one should have to put up with that amount of shit.

RedShift_

Jul 24, 2018
I think blaming this on CDPR is too charitable. It implicitly ties this behavior only to this game when it is the reality for women in gamer spaces regardless of who made the game. Yes, CDPR sucks and has done tons of damage, but no, it would not have been any different if these women reviewed another hotly anticipated game. We just went through this with TLoU 2 earlier this year.
This precisely. Cdpr being a shit company certainly didn't help, but let's not pretend this crap doesn't happen with every highly anticipated game.

The_Freeman

Nov 5, 2017
I hadn't ever heard about TheQuivering until the link in here. After viewing 30 seconds of that video posted, I wish I still don't know about them. An awful channel. How it has amassed over a million subs is beyond me. It's a hate fulled channel.

12ozbeehouse

May 16, 2018
Gamers are the worst.. I will say that it is highly disappointing and totally predictable that a bunch of Media people who have worked with the Black Women that were attacked by the same BS outlet last week, stayed silent when those BW were going thru it, but were right out there being loud and condemning the harassment when it happened to a white women...