• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
https://deadline.com/2021/09/the-wi...-expands-anime-film-family-series-1234844357/

Netflix has handed an early renewal to the widely popular series The Witcher, greenlighting Season 3 months before Season 2 drops in December.

The streamer unveiled a slew of The Witcher news at its virtual fan event Tudum on Saturday. The Witcher, which was one of Netflix's most popular shows of 2019, stars Henry Cavill as the grim Geralt of Rivia, the bane of supernatural beasties, in a story of the intertwined destinies of three individuals in the vast world of The Continent, where humans, elves, witchers, gnomes, and monsters battle to survive and thrive, and where good and evil is not easily identified.

Additionally, Netflix will dive even deeper into world of The Witcher, expanding the franchise with a kids and family series and a second anime feature film.

The upcoming anime film, which remains untitled, is the second anime film in the The Witcher franchise at Netflix. Earlier this year, Netflix dropped The Witcher: Nightmare of The Wolf, which followed the exploits of Geralt's mentor and predecessor Vessemir.

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017
family friendly Witcher....?
They are trying to turn this into Star Wars or something?

Nassudan

Oct 27, 2017
Famously kid friendly franchise The Witcher.
A little elf was skipping down the path
Plough 'em all, Plough 'em all
Along came a dwarf and kicked him in the arse
Oh you are ****ed, dirty rotten scum
Do that again and I'll **** yer mum
——
Fun for the whole family.

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
Honestly I feel like there are parts of the world beyond the super dark violent that we see with Geralt and would probably fit into some PG13 work. Avatar and She-ra do it, so it'll depend on the show runner having a good idea for it.

The Witcher apart from violence and sex, the main parts of the books atleast were moral dilemmas, dark themes and realistic human behaviours (cursing, jokes, doing nasty or awful things to each other, etc.), politics and so on.. making out of that a "family friendly" show is in my opinion just milking the franchise.. I really can't see a family friendly show in the world that the Witcher is set in

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I feel like there are parts of the world beyond the super dark violent that we see with Geralt and would probably fit into some PG13 work. Avatar and She-ra do it, so it'll depend on the show runner having a good idea for it.
I know it's possible, but it becomes a bit odd for the brand. Like now you've got a show that some kids like and you've gotta make sure they do not see the other connected material for the ip they love? It gets a bit weird. It's also one thing if they have an idea that just so happens to shy away from that stuff and be fine but this seems like they'll be specifically marketing it as kids and family.

awilliams213

Oct 27, 2017
CT
Got into The Witcher 2 months ago loved the first season and the anime movie. Very much looking forward to more Vessemir. Haven't started the books or played the games.

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
I know it's possible, but it becomes a bit odd for the brand. Like now you've got a show that some kids like and you've gotta make sure they do not see the other connected material for the ip they love? It gets a bit weird. It's also one thing if they have an idea that just so happens to shy away from that stuff and be fine but this seems like they'll be specifically marketing it as kids and family.

I think the logic is that everyone KNOWS teenagers will consume Rated R material, especially if it's a streaming service, just like teenagers consume games rated Mature 17+.
So making kid-friendly content spin-off from mature franchises will capture the attention of kids younger than that, and when they become teenagers, they'll be interested in the more mature works of the franchise.

Double 0

Nov 5, 2017
I mean, The Witcher is pretty much a fantasy pest exterminator.

It wouldn't be THAT hard to go Batman: TAS with it

cDNA

Oct 25, 2017
latest

If they pulled off with Attack on titan, they can do it with the Witcher.

Crumrin

Banned
Feb 27, 2020
I don't know, a more light-hearted show with an emphasis on adventure and lots of banter might be interesting. I would watch that. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

0jDKAEc.jpg

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey if they can start making Warhammer 40K content aimed at kids then anything is fair game.

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Theres already a Jurassic Park kid show and they eating people and everything. The pearl clutching here geez.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Family friendly Witcher, huh? Kind of sounds like an animated series to me tbh. That actually might not be totally terrible given how this is just generic marketing-speak.

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
Can't believe they canceled the main show to make a family friendly show... wait, what do you mean it's a different thing that won't take away from the main show at all and I don't have to watch it if I don't want to?

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Maybe the family show can give us better Geralt than the main show! Have Cockle voice him maybe if animated and Geralt appears in it.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Got into The Witcher 2 months ago loved the first season and the anime movie. Very much looking forward to more Vessemir. Haven't started the books or played the games.
Be warned if you don't want to be spoiled on the ending of the show and books. Don't play the Witcher games yet. They take place after the books ending and as a result the games pretty much all open by telling you how the books ended. Though if you don't mind spoilers you can go ahead and play them.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Fantastic drowners and where to find them: starring Lambert

awilliams213

Oct 27, 2017
CT
Be warned if you don't want to be spoiled on the ending of the show and books. Don't play the Witcher games yet. They take place after the books ending and as a result the games pretty much all open by telling you how the books ended. Though if you don't mind spoilers you can go ahead and play them.

Ohh thanks for the heads up. I was going to wait till after the PS5 Witcher update to start it.