• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

selo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The details are slightly different but the result is the same. In the show, Renfri comes out holding Marilka hostage. Geralt tells her to let the girl go then Refri states: "I will kill her. I will kill EVERYONE here until Stregobor comes down." So the threat to the town that the town is unaware of still exists, just in a different way. Considering she was able to hold her own with Geralt fairly well, there's genuine threat there (though she probably can't take the whole town by herself). The ambiguity in the show version isn't whether or not the curse was real but rather whether or not the prophecy was real. Stregobor's story was never strong to begin with but his turning the town against Geralt places him further in doubt. So while they make Renfri more sympathetic (to give more effect to her foreshadowing Geralt's destiny), there's still doubt as to whether or not Geralt made the right choice. Whether Stregobor or Renfri was the greater evil is still in question.

I haven't read the books, so I'm not trying to say the way the show handled it is more or less effective. You and others who read it would know better in that regard. But the ambiguity is still there in the show and it informs Geralt's motivations through the season.
Yeah I read the books and in the books, for me, killing renfri was the obvious choice

In the show it was way more ambiguous which was the right choice which I appreciated.

Heelpop

Oct 28, 2017
yes, they were on and off for years between those stories. And it is the same thing in the books, never stated clear.

Again, some time after the Dragon Hunt. The show does it different from the books, in them Geralt was never at the fall of Cintra. He did tried to visit the Surprise Chid in the books, but when she was around 6 and left without even knowing she was a girl.

The short stories are collected in the first two books, "The Last Wish" and "The Sword of Destiney". The saga only begins in the third book, "Blood of the Elves".

Cheers. So that confirms what I've read online that majority of this season is just prologue stuff. Really need to read the books.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
The details are slightly different but the result is the same. In the show, Renfri comes out holding Marilka hostage. Geralt tells her to let the girl go then Refri states: "I will kill her. I will kill EVERYONE here until Stregobor comes down." So the threat to the town that the town is unaware of still exists, just in a different way. Considering she was able to hold her own with Geralt fairly well, there's genuine threat there (though she probably can't take the whole town by herself). The ambiguity in the show version isn't whether or not the curse was real but rather whether or not the prophecy was real. Stregobor's story was never strong to begin with but his turning the town against Geralt places him further in doubt. So while they make Renfri more sympathetic (to give more effect to her foreshadowing Geralt's destiny), there's still doubt as to whether or not Geralt made the right choice. Whether Stregobor or Renfri was the greater evil is still in question.

I haven't read the books, so I'm not trying to say the way the show handled it is more or less effective. You and others who read it would know better in that regard. But the ambiguity is still there in the show and it informs Geralt's motivations through the season.

I agree.
I was going to make the same post, as someone who hasn't read that story there was a lot of ambiguity to me as to whether the curse was real or not. Whenever Renfri talked about it it seemed more sarcastic and you were never sure if she was just playing along with the things said about her or confirming them. This is why I'm not going to read the books before the rest of the series comes out, I hate being one of those people who is constantly comparing the show to the source material. I'd rather judge it on it's own merits instead of thinking about what was changed.

Spikematic

Oct 28, 2017
I loved it. A lot even. I'm glad to see that majority of the people seem to be enjoying it. I hope it continues to get a lot of viewers and generate a lot of buzz so Netflix ramps up the budget of the future seasons. Would love to see the CG and production values go up like they did with GoT.

selo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I agree.
I was going to make the same post, as someone who hasn't read that story there was a lot of ambiguity to me as to whether the curse was real or not. Whenever Renfri talked about it it seemed more sarcastic and you were never sure if she was just playing along with the things said about her or confirming them. This is why I'm not going to read the books before the rest of the series comes out, I hate being one of those people who is constantly comparing the show to the source material. I'd rather judge it on it's own merits instead of thinking about what was changed.

Did you already finish? I'm interested in hearing your final thoughts.

Gorger

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
Well I'm confused having only read one book but having played the games.

Duny and Pavetta are Ciris' parents in the show, but the games told me Emhyr was her father so I'm still confused about whether the game changed something from the books or not at this point.

They have not changed anything. This is going to be explained in the coming seasons for sure.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
Just finished the season....fuck me...why can't I have season 2 here now D:

Easily in my top 2 from Netflix sitting next to Black Mirror.

antispin

Oct 27, 2017
There's more than that.
Geralt thinks he's going to defend the town, but he really walks into a trap Renfri set for him. He kills them in self defense long before they could even stage a hostage situation.
She tells him that there wouldn't be any bloodshed, making the whole thing look like a contrived death wish, and yet she tries her tricks till the very end, concealing a dagger when she asks Geralt to embrace her, with her dying breath.
By the end the reader is left unsure of who was the monster in this story, who was telling the truth, if the curse was really a thing.... really, everything is up in the air. The ambiguity is the whole point and Netflix cut it out entirely. It would be hard to pull a worse adaptation.

Yeah, I felt that Renfri's, the Elves, and the dragon's stories were poorly adopted.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
I actually really like fantasy, but I'm tired of certain tropes in it. That's why stuff like GRRM and Abercrombie, who successfully avoid or subvert (in various ways) that nonsense, is my jam.

Interesting considering GRRM is also doing whole prophecy destiny bit with ASOIAF, but just like Witcher it has enough room to question if such things are true and accurate or just old wives tales.

Modi

Oct 29, 2017
the-witcher-map-1ghkfp.png

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Interesting considering GRRM is also doing whole prophecy destiny bit with ASOIAF, but just like Witcher it has enough room to question if such things are true and accurate or just old wives tales.
That's the thing, GRRM subverts prophecies pretty much completely.

Moreover, this Law of Surprises thing just needs a... mechanism of enforcement right? Like who decides why X is the payment that must be enforced? If it's just "Destiny" that feels like it's the same thing as a God, which would have to be real and all-powerful and invokable, and yeah I don't care for that. In ASoIaF, there's no evidence any of the gods are real; people who have special powers, like Melisandre or the Faceless Men, just credit their talent to their respective gods, but it's all just magic.

I would like the world of ASoIaF much less if there was some sort of "proof" that R'hllor or the Seven or whatever were real and that they could enforce their edicts or whatever.

If it's the same thing in The Witcher in that it's ambiguous, then that's OK, but from what I gather, this "Destiny" thing is real and Geralt pretending that it's not actually has consequences, so... meh.

Last edited:

Hot Priest

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 11, 2019
Upon rewatch, Geralt definitely casts Quen twice in Ep3

Also, question about Ep2
What the fuck was up with the mages being turned to eels? Do they stay that way forever? Did they willingly agree to that?

Smelck

Oct 27, 2017
Rotorua, NZ
Sorry not caught up with thread, but off the cuff impressions of season one (as a Non books reading game player) .....love it....

Anya Chalotra is superb ..but the whole cast is great. Love the narrative and the way they have folded the story , which can be as rewarding as it is frustrating at times....but yeah ...excited to see more of this ...

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I loved this season.

Came to it with pretty much no knowledge of Witcher outside of Witcher III, though. No novels, and never played Witcher 1 or 2 very far at all.

I really can't wait for season 2.

Blade30

Oct 26, 2017
Regarding Ep.1 with Renfri that makes me somewhat confused.

Why does she keep mention the girl in the woods (Ciri) being Geralt's destiny, even though she shouldn't really know of her?

Upon rewatch, Geralt definitely casts Quen twice in Ep3

Not to nitpick but that's Yrden, same as in the book (Last Wish).

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017

Why does she keep mention the girl in the woods (Ciri) being Geralt's destiny, even though she shouldn't really know of her?
It's ties in to one of the things I really don't like about the show's adaptation of that story.
I think the implication is that Renfri know about it because she really is some magical mutant, while the original story's entire point was that it was ambiguous whether or not the curse was real or if Stregobor was just a bullshitting misogynist.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
That's the thing, GRRM subverts prophecies pretty much completely.

Moreover, this Law of Surprises thing just needs a... mechanism of enforcement right? Like who decides why X is the payment that must be enforced? If it's just "Destiny" that feels like it's the same thing as a God, which would have to be real and all-powerful and invokable, and yeah I don't care for that. In ASoIaF, there's no evidence any of the gods are real; people who have special powers, like Melisandre or the Faceless Men, just credit their talent to their respective gods, but it's all just magic.

I would like the world of ASoIaF much less if there was some sort of "proof" that R'hllor or the Seven or whatever were real and that they could enforce their edicts or whatever.

If it's the same thing in The Witcher in that it's ambiguous, then that's OK, but from what I gather, this "Destiny" thing is real and Geralt pretending that it's not actually has consequences, so... meh.

If you want the most secular interpretation, then the only 'real' enforcement is a combination of tradition and people's willingness to adhere to it. Calanthe loses out the argument because she gets brow beaten by a bunch of believers, and Pavetta makes a display of powers ultimately explained for other reasons. When she sends Ciri to Geralt, there's both an army at her gate that makes it the practical thing to get her granddaughter out of dodge, but also may be encouraging to take a bunch of decisions to match up with a 'destiny' as everyone else has consciously decided on

This is admittedly one of those things that's lessened by how they chose to adapt The Lesser Evil, though it's still there to an extent.
In the books her mother (because dark take on Snow White) claims to have seen in a magic mirror that Renfri would kill a whole damn lot of people, so to prevent that, she sets off a series of events that ultimately leads to Renfri killing a whole damn lot of people, in protecting herself and then getting revenge on the shitstains that put her through hell and back. 'Destiny' only came to be because people blindly followed it.

But well... There's only such you can brush under 'well, the characters believe in it', especially if others who shouldn't have such knowledge do for ~some reason~. To be honest, that kind of presumption of a background level something, even if you don't specifically characterise it as 'God', is not something that would surprise me from a most likely Catholic author (I say most likely because I've seen some conflicting stuff on that, but at the very least, he'd have background influences, Poland and all)

Hot Priest

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 11, 2019

Not to nitpick but that's Yrden, same as in the book (Last Wish).

Oh weird, I thought Yrden wasn't a protective barrier but a ring where enemies get weakened if they enter. At least thats how I remember it in the game, maybe it was different in the books.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
the way the world handles magic ( the more classical "bippidy boppidy boo i put a spell on u" approach, for better or worse) i didn't have much problem rolling with the Law of Surprise.

selo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The season? Yes, I loved it! I started watching it again which is something I rarely do with 1 hour shows. It's really interesting catching things I missed the first time after knowing the timeline better.
Nice! I've read and played everything and even though its not perfect, I still loved it. Enjoying it tons on my rewatch as well. I think the only episode I don't like as much is 6 but other than that, they're all great.

Seems like this guy liked the show
9dpyk93zrm641.jpg
3uquyhrb2r641.jpg

Last edited:

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
To be honest, that kind of presumption of a background level something, even if you don't specifically characterise it as 'God', is not something that would surprise me from a most likely Catholic author (I say most likely because I've seen some conflicting stuff on that, but at the very least, he'd have background influences, Poland and all)
That would be an incorrect assumption to make. He describes himself as "an atheist and a materialist". In googling for relevant quotes, I've noticed people often describing him as a "staunch anticlerical."

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
That would be an incorrect assumption to make. He describes himself as "an atheist and a materialist". In googling for relevant quotes, I've noticed people often describing him as a "staunch anticlerical."

See, most of the quotes I've found have ascribed him as Catholic, but there's a few in which he calls himself pagan, atheist, and otherwise just not a firm believer. Apparently there's some contention on how he's translated in interviews because of a bias towards the conventional.

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017
Is this a good introduction to the Witcher franchise? I haven't play any of the games and not read any novels.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
I'd say so. The books are the best introduction obviously, but the series works okay. The games would too, but if you want to experience the series without spoilers, I'd recommend to not play the games yet.

The games are an unofficial sequel of sorts to the storyline of the books (which the show will adapt) and doesn't shy away from spoiling huge story moments and reveals from that story.

Kiru

Oct 25, 2017
The Witcher 1 is very good but it's probably very dated by today's standards. There might be some story recaps on YouTube. I think it's worth it to at least check them out.
There's a funny easter egg for book readers in Witcher 1 where the Innkeeper basically retells Ciri's whole story from all books. Flew over my head the first time without knowledge of the books lol.

Last edited:

OskarXCI

Nov 11, 2018
Overall I enjoyed the series very much but the timelines could be confusing at times. If I hadnt enabled subtitles I would've been even more confused.

I hope for season 2 that the story is more linear and when they do have a flashback, they let us know with a notice on the screen or something. If not, well, now I know that I need to pay more attention to the dialogue.

Third episode was the best, without a doubt. It felt like it was taken directly from Witcher 3.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
I hope for season 2 that the story is more linear and when they do have a flashback, they let us know with a notice on the screen or something. If not, well, now I know that I need to pay more attention to the dialogue.
It should, since that's where they would start adapting the saga instead of the short stories.

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
I've been wondering if they were gonna touch the short stories they skipped, they mostly stuck to main cast relevant ones and there's some I absolutely love leftover.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
I've been wondering if they were gonna touch the short stories they skipped, they mostly stuck to main cast relevant ones and there's some I absolutely love leftover.
Rumors are at least one more will be adapted next season though it won't be solely Geralt anymore.

Grain of Truth with Geralt and Ciri on the way to Kaer Morhen

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
Rumors are at least one more will be adapted next season though it won't be solely Geralt anymore.

Grain of Truth with Geralt and Ciri on the way to Kaer Morhen
That's a good one I don't think Ciri fits into my favourite story the one with the bard friend of Dandelion Essi Daven. It was always a nice extra but of characterization for him the way the story was book ended even if it was a sad story overall.

rashbeep

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't like the very last bit of dialogue

The direction and music were perfect and then it was so anticlimactic :(

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
A perfect example of why the show adapts things worse from the books.

To make things short, in the books the whole point is that Geralt saved the town but they didn't know. Renfi's gang in the show just look like they are threatening Geralt. But in the books Renfri has all her gang show up in the town square and then she gives Geralt her ultimatum. Kill the mage or she'll order her gang to kill everyone in the town. Thus, Geralt is forced to choose between the lesser evil. He chooses to defend the town killing the gang and Renfi, but the townspeople never knew they were under threat. Thus, it just looks like Geralt went crazy and butchered some people.
What? Why not go with that? That's much more clear.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
i've been playing The Witcher 3 for like 12 hours or a bit more, should I finish the game before I watch this, or is it perfectly safe to do both?

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
i've been playing The Witcher 3 for like 12 hours or a bit more, should I finish the game before I watch this, or is it perfectly safe to do both?
Witcher 3 casually spoils a ton of the upcoming show story, the biggest revelation of the show/books is spoiled within the first few minutes really. That said you probably don't want to wait like 7 years to play Witcher 3, so, have at it or read the books.

Oct 28, 2017
Started this last night without any knowledge of the story. Almost impossible to follow and there is no narrative hook. One-note main character. Should I keep watching this?

Blade30

Oct 26, 2017
Started this last night without any knowledge of the story. Almost impossible to follow and there is no narrative hook. One-note main character. Should I keep watching this?

What episode are you at?
The general consensus is that the first couple of episodes (1-2) are the least liked episodes of the season and the timeline get's more clear during the season.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
There is something about the visuals that I don't like and it took me a while to pinpoint exactly what it is, or what it might be. And I think it's how everything and everyone looks too "clean" and "pretty". Too neat and organized.

The table at a feast, for example, doesn't look like a table at a feast, where people are eating. But just a carefully build set prop that has not being touched by anyone. A picture of a perfect table with food if you will. This is also true for the costumes, armor, scenery and all that. Even after a battle where the character is in amor and covered in blood that feeling doesn't go away.

A lot of scene lack a messiness and humanity to them to make them more than just props and costumes.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
There is something about the visuals that I don't like and it took me a while to pinpoint exactly what it is, or what it might be. And I think it's how everything and everyone looks too "clean" and "pretty". Too neat and organized.

The table at a feast, for example, doesn't look like a table at a feast, where people are eating. But just a carefully build set prop that has not being touched by anyone. A picture of a perfect table with food if you will. This is also true for the costumes, armor, scenery and all that. Even after a battle where the character is in amor and covered in blood that feeling doesn't go away.

A lot of scene lack a messiness and humanity to them to make them more than just props and costumes.

aesthetically i think it was a conscious decision to veer away from bleeding edge reality most medieval dramas portray now. imo it kind of works in places, in others not so much

spootime

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

I agree. Some of the scenes of armies clashing reminds me more of the WoW movie. It's so unrealistic looking that it kind of takes you out of it.

But then other sets/armor/costumes etc. are really well designed. It's more inconsistent than anything.

Which is really how I would sum up this first season. Very inconsistent with a lot of potential.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm replaying TW3 and something got my attention regarding Ciri. So a question:

Emhyr says he's Ciri's father in the game. Is he, canonically? The series implies the knight is the father, but I'm wondering if that will be a plot point in the future.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017

Emhyr says he's Ciri's father in the game. Is he, canonically? The series implies the knight is the father, but I'm wondering if that will be a plot point in the future.
Future plot point. If you want to know:

Duny is Emhyr

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yes.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

I'll just say it will be explained.