• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Yen and Geralt are over a hundred years old or at least are by the time of TW3.

The games are their own thing story wise with mainly book characters, but it sometimes dips into book plots. Letho is entirely created by CDPR and I think so is the Wild Hunt.
Wild Hunt is not game only. Eredin and Avallac'h are in the books. Their personalities and motivations are totally different from how they are in The Witcher 3 though, but I won't say anything more on that.

CoolOff

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Wild Hunt was namedropped by Eist or Calanthe in episode 1, about them being "years behind the curve".

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Whenever I see Henry Cavill's face somewhere else, I only see the Witcher now.

Any way, toss a coin to your Witcher.

shuno

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Man, the look of the series varies so much... you have this great scenes and the something like Brokilon that looks straight out a Hercules/Xena. I havn't even started with Ep6 which seems to get a lot of smack here for its look. Ugh.

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
I really really hope they either recast him and give him some acting lessons.
Considering how he will become one of the most prominent characters in the show.
Eamon Farren is a good actor, blame the material he has to work with.
Right now I can't even imagine this character aligning with how that Nilfgaardian was handled in the novels.
They're going to have to write him one heck of a brand new redemption arc because there's not an ounce of good in this murdery birdman.
Saying that he once tried to show kindness to a dude pretending to be Ciri isn't going to do much to help his case when Geralt blames him for her trauma.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
So I just finished it and I actually really enjoyed it.

Now I am thinking about playing The Witcher 3 (played it for a couple of hours when it was released, but nothing more). I just wonder if I play The Witcher 3 are all of the coming seasons of the Netflix show going to be spoiled for me? Or is it there still a lot of content to be filled until we reach the events of The Witcher 3?

I like to be surprised in tv shows and movies and it would suck if every surprise would already be revealed.
If you don't want to be spoiled, I would strongly advise against playing the games. The games are "what if" sequels to the books (=show) and isn't shy about revealing shit that would be considered huge spoilers. If you play the games you will pretty much know how the show will end and most of the biggest plot reveals.

AzorAhai

Oct 29, 2017
I didn't read the books. How much has season 1 adapted ? It felt like a big introduction with not much happening.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
I didn't read the books. How much has season 1 adapted ? It felt like a big introduction with not much happening.
The first season covers the first and second book. The second season will likely slow down the pace though.

There's a good reason why this season felt like that, as the first two books are short story collections that introduce the characters. From the third book on the series changes focus to telling a single, linear story instead of tons of mostly disconnected short stories. So in a way the first season is merely a prologue to the actual show.

Last edited:

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
18 year old has to age into role of an early teenager?

I guess, but I don't see it with this casting.
Age into her role? You do know Ciri's actress is already older than her character in the books, right? Ciri's supposed to be an early teen.
Come on, y'all know that people just want (and expect) to see Video Game Ciri.
We might know better, but it's still an obscure book series. The games' popularity didn't do much to change that.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
its still pretty cheesy but I've really come to enjoy this episode 3 onwards. feels a lot more familiar to me now as I've only played the games before. Plus the added focus on Yennefer has made things more interesting.

Cavill has really settled into being Geralt too. Just like my japanese anime videogames, loving that casting and his cribbing of that voice. The dynamic between him and Jaskier is a lot of fun.

I'm on 5 now and my biggest complaints are that there haven't been any swordfights on par with that one in the pilot, the time disparity needs to be made a lot more clear (you find out eventually during episodes but it should be more explicit unless they're intentionally trying to obscure it) and Ciri's scenes are boring as shit compared to the other two main characters.

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
Question about finale. Extreme spoiler below

So how does the finale timeline actually work? One time it shows Geralt in sodden hill, but the other he is still in the cart??

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Question about episode 4
What the hell were Pavetta and Duny even doing up there? Like OK, she revealed she has some magical ability which surprised the queen, but... there was a bunch of wind, and they were floating up staring into each other, and.... then what? Mousesack and Geralt were desperately trying to interrupt that spell but I couldn't even tell what was happening or why it mattered.

And uh, this Law of Surprise thing is kinda nonsense isn't it? I didn't really understand what it was all about either.

I'm surprised you haven't read some of The Witcher books, you have played the games though right? I'll explain:

Pavetta, as Ciri's mother, is a child of Elder Blood. In the books, when they attempt to kill Duny she unleashes her power as an instinct. It's just framed weird in the show, but she nearly kills everyone in the room. Had Geralt not stopped her everyone would've died. As for the Law of Surprise it makes sense. It's basically a play of fairy tales. The idea is that instead of asking for direct payment, you invoke the Law of Surprise. Thus, you ask something like, "give me the first thing you see at home that you weren't expecting." Now, this could be anything from a new horse, to fresh crops, to, of course, a pregnant wife/newborn child. It should be noted that this is a magical contract and you're basically invoking Destiny to choose your reward for you.

In older times, or at least in old tales, Witchers would routinely invoke the Law of Surprise as payment and that was how they'd bolster their numbers. If you played TW3, Lambert actually says that he was a Child of Surprise, that's how he got recruited as a boy. Geralt at this point doesn't believe in Destiny and invokes the Law of Surprise as basically a joke and fuck you to Destiny. Then Pavetta vomits revealing she's pregnant, a thing no one, including herself was expecting. Thus, the child (Ciri) by magical contract belongs to Geralt and he is bound to her.

Further episodes will explore this a bit more as Geralt attempts to avoid Destiny which has grave consequences.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The casting is really good. Cavill is of course brilliant but Anya Chalotra and Ciri's actress are way better than anybody expected I think. The performances are what made the show for me in the end.
Agreed. They nailed the casting of the most important characters and in the long run that's super important in keeping people invested. I think it's a big reason why despite the flaws of the show, people are still really enjoying it.

Kiru

Oct 25, 2017
What was the 1st wish with the djinn?
He just wanted some peace (so for Jaskier to shut up).
In the books he told the djinn to get lost and fuck itself but he didn't know he actually said that, he just shouted some exorcism formula he learned from a priestess once without knowing the translation. Imagine the djinn trying to grant that wish lol

Last edited:

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
Eamon Farren is a good actor, blame the material he has to work with.
Right now I can't even imagine this character aligning with how that Nilfgaardian was handled in the novels.
They're going to have to write him one heck of a brand new redemption arc because there's not an ounce of good in this murdery birdman.
Saying that he once tried to show kindness to a dude pretending to be Ciri isn't going to do much to help his case when Geralt blames him for her trauma.
Come on, y'all know that people just want (and expect) to see Video Game Ciri.
We might know better, but it's still an obscure book series. The games' popularity didn't do much to change that.

Well I really hope that the show is going to be true to the books and that way Ciri doesn't really use her powers that much.. her time with the Rats and such, even in her training in Kaer Morhen she doesn't know how to use her powers .. only in the last two books she uses some powers, but mostly only teleportation and travels between worlds.. let the games be their own thing, the books their and the TV show - which is a adaptation of the books - her own.. Ciri's character arc in the books is pretty much her learning what her powers are and to learn how to control them and what her place in the world is.. if they are going to make her powerful from the second season, she is going to be a bit boring character in my opinion

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
Btw finished all episodes, im pretty much expecting a new meme with screenshot of Geralt from the show and dialogue options from the game mixed together. Lol

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
i read all the books! The yennefer story is 100% new.

the ciri story is 100% new. Whatareyou talking about?
They're not 100% new.

Yennefer's backstory is largely new later season isn't, and Ciri's is far from 100% new. There's some remixing with Brokilon, some new things, and obviously the sack of Cintra and important things are not.

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
Well I really hope that the show is going to be true to the books and that way Ciri doesn't really use her powers that much.. her time with the Rats and such, even in her training in Kaer Morhen she doesn't know how to use her powers .. only in the last two books she uses some powers, but mostly only teleportation and travels between worlds.. let the games be their own thing, the books their and the TV show - which is a adaptation of the books - her own.. Ciri's character arc in the books is pretty much her learning what her powers are and to learn how to control them and what her place in the world is.. if they are going to make her powerful from the second season, she is going to be a bit boring character in my opinion
I was mostly thinking about her physical appearance, but now that you mention it, they did start teasing her powers as being offensive in nature. At this point, I would be surprised if the show doesn't align itself with CD Projekt Red's changes, even if it's unintentional (they've already messed up Geralt's last wish in an eerily similar way).
The show hasn't been true to the source material in its foundational season and the changes they've made can't help but cascade throughout the series, causing the two to grow further and further apart.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
The games are non-canon. There is a reason why the first game starts with Geralt having amnesia.

Wait, so that's a trope just for the games and not a part of the book stories ?

My knowledge of the series is only from the 2nd and 3rd game. Even though I own the 1st on Steam, never got around playing it.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
No, the Striga fight is just a flashy opening cinematic to introduce the character (and also to foreshadow the fact that the main quest revisits the Striga story).

The actual events of the Witcher 1 are set years after that, after the conclusion of the final novel in the saga. The books are a bit vague about when which short story is taking place exactly, but I would guess the Striga story takes place at least 20 years before the first game.

The fight to free Adda of the curse or kill her is actually in Witcher 1. You get several quests on this. :)

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
The fight to free Adda of the curse or kill her is actually in Witcher 1. You get several quests on this. :)
Yes and no. It's a redo. It's not the same story from the books or as depicted in the show. CD Projekt RED thought that the Striga was too iconic to not include, so they just went 'Okay, but what if Geralt never actually fully lifted the curse and she still turns into a Striga now and then because of reasons?'.

The actual fight as it appears in the book and the show is in the opening cinematic and mentioned in dialogue with Foltest and Adda.

Nezacant

Oct 27, 2017
It is but

it's framed as him having to do it again. She's much older at this point, no longer feral when she is in human form.... and... Geralt gets a piece at the end.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Wait, so that's a trope just for the games and not a part of the book stories?
No, Geralt does not lost his memory in the books. The reason CD Projekt RED made Geralt in the game an amnesiac is because that allowed them to tell their own story without having to worry about "Hey, why isn't he wondering what happened with Ciri and Yennefer?".

Also, I believe having Geralt as the main protagonist of The Witcher 1 wasn't even the original plan. IIRC they originally wanted players to be able to create their own Witcher, but fan feedback demanded Geralt to be the main character, which created some unique issues to solve.

Leandras

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the season and, wow, what an epic finale. I'm eagerly awaiting season 2!

I thought geralt and yenn were misscasts from the preview but now I'm a believer. Can't think of a single misscast in the entire season which is impressive considering how much I love the series.

I was hoping the show would be good but instead I'll have to settle for fantastic!

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Just finished the season and, wow, what an epic finale. I'm eagerly awaiting season 2!

I thought geralt and yenn were misscasts from the preview but now I'm a believer. Can't think of a single misscast in the entire season which is impressive considering how much I love the series.

I was hoping the show would be good but instead I'll have to settle for fantastic!
I'd say Vilgefortz is slightly miscast, as he's supposed to be pretty much the most beautiful man in existence. Triss is also a bit weird with how in the show she's written and cast like some wiser and older version of Yennefer, while in the original text it's literally the opposite.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Wait, so that's a trope just for the games and not a part of the book stories ?

My knowledge of the series is only from the 2nd and 3rd game. Even though I own the 1st on Steam, never got around playing it.
Originally you were gonna be able to create your own witcher, but midway through development they decided on making Geralt the main character and to accommodate where his story ends in the books, they gave him amnesia.