• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
The motives for Nilfgaard moving in on Cintra are multifaceted. The TV show makes it sound as though destiny was defied, so fate would have its revenge.

However, in the books

Duny, who marries Pavetta, is Emhyr, Emperor of NIlfgaard, the White Flame Who Dances on the Corpses of His Enemies. He becomes aware of Ithlinne's Prophecy, and his daughter Ciri is key. He fakes his death with the intention of preserving Pavetta, but she tragically dies anyway.

Calanthe isn't gonna give up her granddaughter to a "stranger," so he wages war to get her back. Only known to a select few like Geralt, Emhyr intends to marry and impregnate his own daughter, as the prophecy speaks of a Child of Elder Blood.

Emhyr then recruits Vilgefortz, one of the most powerful sorcerers in the Council of Sorcerers, to stage the Thanedd coup to prevent their interfering with Nilfgaard's assault on the Northern Kingdoms after the Second Battle of Sodden Hill. Vilgefortz then learns of Ithlinne's Prophecy, and designs to abduct Ciri himself. But because he is a raging misogynist, he intends to impregnate Ciri by injection, and do some magic stuff to take the Power as a result.

Yall will find out about Rience and Bonnart and Stefan Skellen next season.

I bet that book stuff will come into play in show too once things start to evolve. Too big things for motives to be ignored.

AbsoluteZero0K

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 6, 2019
Right I know the technical things that happen in the book that lead to the sacking. Just was wondering if it played a bit with destiny getting its revenge a bit.

I'm not fatalistic, and it's too cliché of a literary trope for my tastes, but it's unavoidable in the Witcher saga, so I'm just rolling with it.

But yes, the idea that Cintra is sacked because someone didn't fulfill their destiny is unique to the show.

Nov 3, 2017
0afz7SN.png

=

Deleted member 49319

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 4, 2018
Works for a show, but the colorful aspect of the game keeps things more interesting. Games with a similar palette like Skyrim feel depressing after many hours because of how drab the world is. Plus costumes are certainly more ambitious in the game since they do not have to be physically made.
Most part of the game was overly saturated to my liking. Toussaint and Skellige are good though.

AbsoluteZero0K

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 6, 2019
I bet that book stuff will come into play in show too once things start to evolve. Too big things for motives to be ignored.

I'm confident that S2 will be better because it's linear, unlike the two short story collections.

Can we just agree that Yen is the mvp?

The show certainly presents her that way because she's a main character; this is consistent with Sapkowski's love for strong women characters.

S2 will start off well for her, but I hope you're a True Fan during the finale....

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Alright, after finishing the season, one thing doesn't make sense to me in the overall timeline of Nilfgaard/Vilgefortz (basically main plot of the book saga)

Books and episode 8 spoilers follow:
In the books, Nilfgaard starts the first war, gets trashed at Sodden Hill by the Northern Kingdoms + mages led by Vilgefortz. Some years later, Vilgefortz and Duny/Emhyr get in cahoots. Duny+Pavetta are "lost at sea", teleported to Nilfgaard by Vilgefortz's extractor magic device.
Then Nilfgaard attacks the second time, destroys Cintra and proceeds to invade the Northern Kingdoms. Ciri meets Geralt again, the saga starts here.

But the show, it seems, completely does away with the first war with Nilfgaard. Vilgefortz (nothwithstanding his weird face-heel turn) is shown still fighting against Nilfgaard in earnest during the successful invasion, years after Duny and Pavetta are lost. So... he presumably wasn't the one who was responsible. That seems like a major change and I don't see how it wouldn't impact the plot of the saga in a significant way.

Just a weird decision, idk why they did that or where are they planning to go with that.

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
So I am in the middle of episode 5 and I am reading this thread. It's just...........boring as hell.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
Finished season 1 and liked it a lot. I hope they improve upon the cinematography and trash bag Nilfgaard armor for season 2.

Night Hunter

Dec 5, 2017
They tried with Episode 3, but the sword fight in Ep1 was sadly the action highlight of the season.

I was actually kind of surprised that we didn't get other great sword fights as the season went on.

Except maybe that one bit in Ep8. Still not nearly as good if you ask me.

Danteyke223

Banned
Oct 24, 2018
Wait people are actually bored of this show? This is a neat fun fantasy show where the main character is great, and Cavill is a good actor. 5 episodes in and I love this. Waaay better than Mandalorian from Disney.

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
After 6 episodes, as a huge fan of books... it's mediocre. The new format of the story is simply boring and I feel like dialogues and the scirpt in general is the weakest part. Especially compared to polish books which are written brilliantly. Plus, stuff like pathetic chemistry between Dara and Ciri (this whole arc is so bad, damn...), terrible dwarfs (I guess there was no money left for any CGI, rofl) and a Geralt a bit too much influenced by Witcher 3. Overall - the second season will make or break this show. I'll definetely be easier for the writing team but I'm sceptical. Not with Hissrich at the helm if season one is any indication of what she's capable of as a showrunner :(
Handling dwarves through CGI or contrived LOTR-style framing wouldn't have improved a show that's already struggling with basic cinematography.
I liked how they handled it here because it allowed the dwarves to share scenes with other actors instead of existing mostly in close-up shots.

floridaguy954

Oct 29, 2017
I think that they tried to do a lot in this season to draw in viewers, and while I would have preferred a slow burner with a series that could be potentially very long, it all worked out fine in the end.

The season got progressively better nearing the end and I think they have a great foundation to build on. All the main characters are introduced, so I hope we get a focused main story in the next season.

Critics are (so far) very wrong about this series. While it doesn't reach the heights of something like GoT, it's still a very enjoyable watch. I'd give it a 8/10.
Agreed. The critics are Way off the mark with this one.

This show has been a very pleasant 8/10 experience for me.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
This show is definitely working way better for me than the Mandalorian is. Probably because even though Geralt isn't the MOST emotive person at least he has a philosophy on life. A character.

Mando is just a blank slate.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Starting on Episode 4, I think the progression in how Jaskier has built up Geralt's reputation is well played. That the tune he came up with is basically Geralt's anthem for crowds to play up when they realise that, oh shit, the stories are true*

*The bard takes no responsibility for however embellished they may be

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Wait people are actually bored of this show? This is a neat fun fantasy show where the main character is great, and Cavill is a good actor. 5 episodes in and I love this. Waaay better than Mandalorian from Disney.
This show is definitely working way better for me than the Mandalorian is. Probably because even though Geralt isn't the MOST emotive person at least he has a philosophy on life. A character.

Mando is just a blank slate.

The reception for this compared to Mandalorian is kinda blowing my mind. I like Mandalorian alright but it has a lot more problems. Horrendous acting, no real characters, and a really clunky script when people even are talking. But I guess it has a cute meme?

Again, I like both shows but they should really be more similar in ratings than they are.

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
We've only got the last two episodes left but I am absolutely loving the show. It really feels more like The Witcher than I thought it was going to be. I think Cavil has been fantastic as Geralt, and I love how true to the books it has been so far. My only criticism so far is the casting of Yennefer. The actress is good, but she just looks way too young for a sorceress of her age.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
We've only got the last two episodes left but I am absolutely loving the show. It really feels more like The Witcher than I thought it was going to be. I think Cavil has been fantastic as Geralt, and I love how true to the books it has been so far. My only criticism so far is the casting of Yennefer. The actress is good, but she just looks way too young for a sorceress of her age.

She looks too young to be pushing... what? 90?

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
I'm up to ep six and I'm loving the show. My only downsides are not really liking the Ciri actress/character so far, and that sixth episode had some rough cgi. Also a bit dissapointed in the sword fights past ep 1 or 2.

Yen, Geralt, Jevier are all amazing.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
The actress is good, but she just looks way too young for a sorceress of her age.
Her age makes perfect sense to me seeing the story they're telling.
She essentially stops aging when she becomes a full fledged sorceress. And that doesn't happen too long after being sold by her step dad. She couldn't really be sold if she were already like 30 or something.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
I loved it!

Episode 2 is hot garbage but after that the show is great, I didn't know it was only 8 episodes, I just finished the last one and now I don't know what to do lol

I want more!

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Her age makes perfect sense to me seeing the story they're telling.
She essentially stops aging when she becomes a full fledged sorceress. And that doesn't happen too long after being sold by her step dad. She couldn't really be sold if she were already like 30 or something.
Sure, and I do get that. But I'm coming at it from the direction that Geralt is another pseudo ageless character and he, you know, looks like someone who has lived as long as he has. She's supposed to be this beautiful sorceress, which is true, but for going as close to the books as they have been it just seems like one of the only sticking out points for me. That's not to diminish the actress though, I think she has been great so far.

Grunty

Oct 28, 2017
Gruntilda’s Lair
Geralt's story is in chronological order but you're not seeing everything he does. Some things are years apart. You're just getting things that are interesting or relevant to the story as a whole.
Yes Pavetta is the mother of Ciri. The child that's bound to Geralt now via law of surprise is Ciri. That's why Calanthe tells her to find Geralt.

Okay... so
everything that has been going on with Geralt, Yen, Jaskier, is not happening at the same time as the events of Ciri? The show makes it seem like everything is coinciding with one another.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Okay... so
everything that has been going on with Geralt, Yen, Jaskier, is not happening at the same time as the events of Ciri? The show makes it seem like everything is coinciding with one another.

Yen's events are also out of sequence. You see a very young Foltest in episode 3 while Geralt is interacting with him as an adult in the same episode.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Okay... so
No, it's not at the same time.

For example episode 4 involves Ciri's mother Pavetta as she's pregnant with her

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Okay... so

what? The show goes to such extreme lengths to make it super obvious we are seeing multiple timelines. Everyone is constantly mentioning it, it actually is a bit much how often the point it out. For example,

The council talking about the previous king of Cintra.

Yen mentioning shes been 30 years at court

The Usurper plot in Nilfgaard

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
Man, the ending to the show really pissed me off - the ending to the short stories was perfect as it was, but for some fucked up reason they totally butchered that.. you only needed to add some 5 lines from the books and the ending would have been way, way more emotional.. what the fuck

Even the poor older Polish TV series done the ending justice

"It's like they said, Geralt! It's like they said! Am I your destiny? Say it! Am I your destiny?"
Yurga saw the Witcher's eyes. And was very astonished. He heard his wife's soft weeping, felt the trembling of her shoulders. He looked at the Witcher and waited, tensed, for his answer. He knew he would not understand it, but he waited for it. And heard it.
"You're much more than that, Ciri. Much more."

What the fuck Netflix

Last edited:

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Just a question for viewers who have not read the books but have finished the whole season:

How long did it take for you to realize the show is pulling a Dunkirk -- that the separate plotlines aren't presented in chronological order?

I ask because I'm in episode 3 right now and I'm thinking this would've been really hard to parse had I not already read the books, but there was already a big clue in episode 1. Not sure if I'd have caught that without book knowledge though.

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
Man, the ending to the show really pissed me off - the ending to the short stories was perfect as it was, but for some fucked up reason they totally butchered that.. you only needed to add some 5 lines from the books and the ending would have been way, way more emotional.. what the fuck

Even the poor older Polish TV series done the ending justice

What the fuck Netflix

They couldn't have done that because they've spent the entire season ripping out the heart of that story (no biggie, it's only the single most important thing in the series).
They had an entire season to build up towards that scene, yet they chose to close it with the meeting of two complete strangers. Exchanging two meaningless one-liners is honestly all they could have done there because the characters don't mean anything to each other.

I don't know why these writers can't allow characters to grow fond of each other, why everyone has to be told who to care about.

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just a question for viewers who have not read the books but have finished the whole season:

How long did it take for you to realize the show is pulling a Dunkirk -- that the separate plotlines aren't presented in chronological order?

I ask because I'm in episode 3 right now and I'm thinking this would've been really hard to parse had I not already read the books, but there was already a big clue in episode 1. Not sure if I'd have caught that without book knowledge though.

my gf caught it around episode 2. They make it very explicit through dialogue.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Up to episode 4 right now I have to say I don't like the jumping from plotline to plotline. Might have been better to dedicate episodes to individual characters. I feel like this all must be pretty confusing to people who haven't read the books and even more so to people who don't know the world at all.

Deleted member 61909

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 5, 2019

pretty much the same as you. Didn't notice until that episode.