• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Finished it, it was pretty good, but there is a lot of work to be done. Also, the dialogue went way overboard with saying "destiny" constantly, it got really cheesy quick.
I don't disagree but it did help to sort of reinforce the notion for the dim people like myself that destiny isn't just a theme or a notion but seemingly a powerful force in this world.

RandomSeed

Oct 27, 2017
This shows humor was definitely made for me. I even laugh when Geralt does one of his substitute conversation grunts.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Show is really bad about going back and forth between past and present without noting it.

Most people probably thought Yen's origin story was taking place the same time as Geralt's misdaventures until they saw baby Foltest.

I mean that's basically just one and a half episodes though before they make it pretty clear that the show isnt showing concurrent events. Seems like a minor thing even for viewers not familiar with the characters.

AbsoluteZero0K

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 6, 2019
Loved Calanthe
"When I go it'll be far more dramatic."
I felt that she would be a more likable character based on her portrayal in the books. The show is accurate though. You do not become warrior-queen without some serious character flaws.
It's meant to be ambiguous as to whether he is or isn't, though with a heavy lean on it being him believing his own bullshit. Problem is, Geralt can't verify any of the background details because he's in the ass end of nowhere, and Stregobor has clearly not kept the corpses from the previous girls intact.

It's meant to be ambiguous, yes. However, in the last episode of the show,
the Council of Sorcerers laugh at Stregobor for believing that Renfri was cursed/evil.
So the show makes things less ambiguous.

Oct 26, 2017
Compared to Episode 1, Episode 2 felt kinda rough.

Too much budget looking CG and special effects / weird cuts to follow-up scenes, I imagine most of the budget went to hiring Cavill because damn. The goatman and the bard too, didn't like them at all.

Oct 25, 2017
Don't you guys think that Netflix shows look somehow cheap and fake (besides Narcos, Le Casa De Papel, Stranger Things, Dark and couple others) although they have big budget? I mean I don't have this issue with any HBO series but this is happening often with Netflix shows.

I read this series cost $10 million per episode but cinematography vary so much from great to not so good in one episode and I wonder how it's possible.

You're comparing wildly different shows with wildly different budgetary needs.

Why wouldn't Narcos look better? Making a shot set in the near past is a lot easier than creating a fantasy world populated by creatures you see regularly. If you don't have unlimited time and money, some stuff is just not going to look as good. That's the realities of production and post.

To me, they did a really good job with the hardest stuff—the CG for the monsters is pretty good, especially when they appear in much more challenging conditions to hide flaws. The comp work and matte paintings are weaker, but there wasn't really any stuff that took me out besides having a professional eye. They even do a decent job hiding the fact that they can't have the Spanish army trotting around for battle scenes.

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm on episode 6 now, and still really enjoying it.

I love what they're doing with Yennefer. It was nice to see her get her own spotlight and story/character established before meeting Geralt. I also like what we've seen of Triss so far.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I feel that episode
about Djinn
was weakest at establishing region and map it out.
Ah. Fair, I suppose, but geography wasn't really important there I don't think, besides giving you some impression of the paths characters took through the world. Nothing was changing hands, the world was not going through a grand transformation. I think they're generally pretty good about giving you the names for places that matter. Cintra, Temeria, Aretuza, Nazair, the Yaruga, Sodden. All places where geography is quite important and we actually get told about those names.

This shows humor was definitely made for me. I even laugh when Geralt does one of his substitute conversation grunts.
pam param

Darth Karja

Oct 25, 2017
The sound on this seems really low. Tried watching the first episode and I have the volume 2x what I normally watch stuff on and can't understand a word of what they are saying.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
This show has to have close to a world record amount of vomiting. lol

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Ah. Fair, I suppose, but geography wasn't really important there I don't think, besides giving you some impression of the paths characters took through the world. Nothing was changing hands, the world was not going through a grand transformation. I think they're generally pretty good about giving you the names for places that matter. Cintra, Temeria, Aretuza, Nazair, the Yaruga, Sodden. All places where geography is quite important and we actually get told about those names.

Ye, for large part series is very good about name dropping locations and mapping them out through dialogue and visual exposition.

Lack of it all just stood out in that episode and couldn't place it in my mind because of that :b

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
I mean that's basically just one and a half episodes though before they make it pretty clear that the show isnt showing concurrent events. Seems like a minor thing even for viewers not familiar with the characters.

The thing is there's no real reason for it and there's not even any particularly interesting flair to it either. There's not really any meaningful it adds to the story for it to reveal that it's being told out of order. It's just sort of there to create a "twist" out of thin air.

It's meaningless to people who have read the books or played the games, because the instant someone calls the girl at the beginning "Cirilla" you know exactly when it is, and to people who are engaging with the story for the first time this way it's needlessly confusing. There's zero reason it couldn't have been explicitly labeled with dates. It's not even elegantly handled visually, there's zero difference between the way the different scenes are shot, no editing techniques to imply that things are happening at different times, anything that could make it fun

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
Ok i wasnt sure about the casting decision of Yennefer at first but holy shit is she NAILING it.

TheLucasLite

Aug 27, 2018
The thing is there's no real reason for it and there's not even any particularly interesting flair to it either. There's not really any meaningful it adds to the story for it to reveal that it's being told out of order. It's just sort of there to create a "twist" out of thin air.

It's meaningless to people who have read the books or played the games, because the instant someone calls the girl at the beginning "Cirilla" you know exactly when it is, and to people who are engaging with the story for the first time this way it's needlessly confusing. There's zero reason it couldn't have been explicitly labeled with dates. It's not even elegantly handled visually, there's zero difference between the way the different scenes are shot, no editing techniques to imply that things are happening at different times, anything that could make it fun
Honestly, I think it was filmed this way specifically to give characters, who aren't Geralt, more screen time and something to do for the season, otherwise most of them would only show up for an episode or 2 tops, and Ciri basically wouldn't be in the show until the very end of the season.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
C6eqG3K.png

Feb 16, 2018
Finished and really liked it, can't wait for season two.
Pros:
Good casting and characters
Good action choreography
Strong soundtrack
Liked the story for the most part outside of a view pacing issues

Cons:
Some rough CGI
Time jumping can be a bit confusing at first
Some weird lighting here and there
Also I can see the lore being a bit confusing for newcomers because it kind of just dives in.
Overall a damn good 8/10 show for me, room for improvement but it lays a solid foundation.

vaderise

Oct 30, 2017
Antalya / Turkey
I've really enjoyed first 2 episodes.

Although they-re nothing groundbreaking, i had great time.

-Henry Cavill looks and sounds great but his delivery is sometimes super corny.
-The sword fight in ep1 was pure hype.
-Production values are highand it shows. Apart from shitty looking Nilfgaardian armor and super fake Elven ears, everything looks great.
-Yennefer is the highlight of the show so far.

As a fan of this universe, i can say that this is a very solid adaptation so far.

Voytek

Oct 25, 2017
I'm like please don't try and show a dragon, please don't try and show a dragon. They tried to show a dragon and oof it was bad. This episode was also my least favorite in terms of story. I've been enjoying it up until this point so hopefully the last two pick back up

aesync

Jan 19, 2018
Chicago
Only seen episode 1 so far but as a huge fan of the books, it's SO good. I can't believe it's getting panned from critics and I have to read polygon headlines like "the Witcher WISHES it could be as good as the mandalorian". What are people smoking

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
I'm like please don't try and show a dragon, please don't try and show a dragon. They tried to a dragon and oof it was bad. This episode was also my least favorite in terms of story. I've been enjoying it up until this point so hopefully the last two pick back up
yeah i found ep6 to be easily the weakest. 7 and 8 are great

RandomSeed

Oct 27, 2017
Episode 2 Question

why did Tissaia turn some apprentices into eels, but spared Yen?
They were only good as conduits. Like the flowers that were used to power magic spells. Not good enough to be sorceress like they were looking for. Enhances the magic source of the school. Yeah pretty fucked up.

Yen has very high potential.

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Dommo

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
What a waste of 4K by smearing Vaseline on the edges of the frame lmao
It's some new and hip Netflix thing apparently. I don't get it either.

It's not new at all. It's an optical artifact that appears on certain lenses that has slowly been phased out as lenses have become more precise. Some filmmakers appreciate its aesthetic qualities - as the world of cameras have become more digital and clean, there's a desire to bring back some roughness to the image. In the same way film grain and lens flares are deliberate style choices that could be perceived as errors of the image, an imprecise lens adds character and grounds the whole thing a little bit more. Would you also say "I don't understand the point of 4k if it's covered in film grain anyway?" No, it's another aesthetic decision that you can appreciate and observe all the more at higher resolutions.

If I had to guess, shows like The Witcher and The Mandalorian use this stuff to make the world feel more tangible to counter the artifice of the fantasy world. It ties the whole look together.

AbsoluteZero0K

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 6, 2019
The saga is like that but for the most part the Witcher is about people on the periphery of kingdoms vying for control and simply trying to survive in the middle of it. The mages mostly are involved with that stuff.

As for lack of monsters, I like that, because they are very rare with some just 'extinct', much like witchers, unlike every corner of an open world game.

The show creator never intended/advertised for this show to be a Game of Thrones killer, it was other people that said that.

I wanted this to be a GOT killer for my own reasons. Not because of what Hissrich said.

zoabs

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 7, 2018
They should consider patching in some year text for the three timelines for newer viewers.

I think if I didn't know that Yen and Geralt were slow to age from the Witcher 3 I would've been slightly more confused. It wasn't till episode 2 that I realized that Ciri and Geralt were at different times and then surmised that Yen was also in the distant past.

but yes episode 3 it's pretty clear that they're in three different timelines although if you were looking at your phone or something, I guess you would still be confused

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
Just finished through Episode 4 and I'm loving this. The story is interesting, the characters are interesting or entertaining, the acting is solid throughout the cast, the sets and cinematography are good to great, and there's just enough unique elements to make feel more than just generic fantasy while still being familiar enough to understand with little to no primer.

I have to disagree. I'm a viewer who has never read the books and played maybe half of Witcher 2 and about 2/3rds of Witcher 3. I'm not over steeped in the game OR the book lore. BUT, I'm an avid reader of Sci Fi and Fantasy (probably average somewhere in the neighborhood of 30~ genre books per year over the last 5 years). There was nothing confusing about the way the series switched perspectives and the reveal comes clearly and early in the middle of the 3rd episode. It wasn't jarring and it didn't feel like a twist or unearned attempt at shock. It was just an, "ahh so that's how they're telling the story of these perspectives."

I don't think the show needs to blatantly state any of this and I don't think they needed to or should have used film techniques to hint at it either. It's executed in the way a novel would and I don't think that's a bad thing at all. It may not be what many people are used to because they're not novel readers but it's still effective enough for anyone who actually wants to understand as opposed to wanting to passively watch. This isn't to say that anyone who is confused or bothered by it is "bad" in any way but that experiencing it in this way isn't a bad thing even if they don't like it because they're not used to it.

It's ok if people don't like it. That some people won't like that aspect of the storytelling does not mean the show executed it poorly. It just means those people don't like it.

The show is good. Better than average in Genre television and even with breakout hits like GoT and The Expanse existing, the fact is better than average is extremely rare for Genre. So rather than tear the show down for not being at the very top echelon of television, it should be appreciated for what it's achieved because whether or not it gets it's showrunner-estimated 7 seasons to complete, it can stand as an example that Genre doesn't have to be either "so bad it's good" or "absolutely amazing." There's a gradient of middle ground that is both entertaining and can prove certain techniques as viable. Future shows can gain from this one. Audiences can grow (even if only slightly) in their understanding and appreciation of different styles of storytelling through this show. That alone makes it more than worthwhile, I think.

That said, I want to be clear that I'm not trying to say or imply anything negative towards or about anyone who just plain doesn't like the show due to its techniques. How one receives it is subjective after all. I'm just saying that not liking it shouldn't be extrapolated into "this was done badly."