• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
I liked eps 2 and 3 much better than the first, mainly cause they slow down a bit but I still feel they are going through stuff too fast.

I think this show would benefit by focusing only one 1 character per episode. They bounce around too much I think between things.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Henry Goatvill. Whoever taught him to sword fight and choreographed that fight in the first episode is a true hero. Interesting fighting style. Is that from the game or something? Legit one of the best sword fights I've seen.
Starting episode 2 now. Is there more stuff on that level?

Jeez, was that a spoiler I read in the first post on the page? Fuck.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Henry Goatvill. Whoever taught him to sword fight and choreographed that fight in the first episode is a true hero. Interesting fighting style. Is that from the game or something? Legit one of the best sword fights I've seen.

It's how Geralt fights in the books. Games never properly duplicated that style from text to gameplay. All scenes that has Geralt fighting are well done.

Vladimir Furdik (he was Night King in GOT) is responsible for choreography of fights in the Witcher and afaik he also trained Cavill.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

Jeez, was that a spoiler I read in the first post on the page? Fuck.

To answer your second question. Not really a spoiler imo. A lot of people were missing it but the show drops lines about it through various episodes. I think after the first or second episode I knew.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's how Geralt fights in the books. Games never properly duplicated that style from text to gameplay. All scenes that has Geralt fighting are well done.

Vladimir Furdik (he was Night King in GOT) is responsible for choreography of fights in the Witcher and afaik he also trained Cavill.
Awesome. Will be keeping an eye on him.
To answer your second question. Not really a spoiler imo. A lot of people were missing it but the show drops lines about it through various episodes. I think after the first or second episode I knew.
Sucks to know from episode 1, though 😓

Oct 25, 2017
Underground
Finished the last episode. It was nice to see everything finally converge, and that battle was quite good. Overall, I think this is a really great show, but man do I wish the season was longer. Especially with that ending. I'm very much looking forward to season 2, I just hope the wait isn't too long.

I would rate this show a 8.5/10. I enjoyed it that much. There's so much potential here.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
After sleeping on it, I think the biggest disservice with the breakneck pacing is to Geralt and Yenn's relationship - it proceeds from the 'meeting' in one episode to suddenly springing ahead and skipping a lot of other interactions they have - which then makes Yenn's complaint feel a lot less nuanced when Geralt's wish is brought (partially) to light, and makes Geralt's depth of concern feel a bit....odd.

You get 'hints' from the hunt episode that they've been in and out of each others lives, but to go right from the initial meeting to that does a bit of a disservice, no matter how good their acting/chemistry is.

Herr Starr

Oct 26, 2017
Norway
After sleeping on it, I think the biggest disservice with the breakneck pacing is to Geralt and Yenn's relationship - it proceeds from the 'meeting' in one episode to suddenly springing ahead and skipping a lot of other interactions they have - which then makes Yenn's complaint feel a lot less nuanced when Geralt's wish is brought (partially) to light, and makes Geralt's depth of concern feel a bit....odd.

That's how it is in the books as well.

RandomSeed

Oct 27, 2017
It's been a while, but I think in the books it's made more clear that the Djinn is PISSED at Yen for what she is doing, and is flat out going to kill her for it. Geralt makes his wish in a way (bigger spoilers) that binds their lives together, and since the rules of the pact do not allow the Djinn to just kill the "master", that spares her. Same result and everything, but I think it makes it more understandable in the book. The TV show does make it more of a "WTF, Big Gerry?!?" moment.

Foxnull

Alt-Account
Banned
May 30, 2019
Episode 3 felt kinda messy. I felt liked I missed an episode between 2 and 3 somehow. Especially with Yen's story. But my god, the second half of the episode was legit awesome.

Catsygreen

Nov 1, 2017
She didn't direct single episode from the season.

Or do you think she overruled directors and told them step by step how to direct episodes?

And you honestly think that as a showrunner, she doesn't have to approve everything that goes on in production? It's also her responsibility to make sure we don't feel the kitsch of plastic armor or ugly lighting effects...
Anyway, besides that, I'm enjoying the show. Hopefully we'll see some improvements for season two.

Oct 25, 2017
Do we know who
sings "The Last Rose of Cintra"? The song from the end credits I mean. I can't find anything about it.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
Finished this yesterday. I decently enjoyed it for what it was, but I felt that the Witcher stuff took a backseat in order to tell a Game of Thrones-lite story. Also, there was WAY too much exposition. Lastly, the actor that played Yennifer was def a miscast... Like, she had no synergy with Henry Cavill and her character was the most interesting when she was a hunch-back.

Sobriquet

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Wilmington, NC
Really loving this so far. Already through 5 episodes.

Note: I stopped playing Witcher 2 after about an hour because I hated the combat, so I'm only vaguely familiar with the universe. Never read the books.

Oct 29, 2017
Episode 4, I fucking LOVE this show. I've had 2 playthroughs of witcher 3, and I own the first book so I should stat reading them, shouldnt I?

Herr Starr

Oct 26, 2017
Norway
Finished this yesterday. I decently enjoyed it for what it was, but I felt that the Witcher stuff took a backseat in order to tell a Game of Thrones-lite story.

Welcome to the world of the Witcher books. Geralt isn't really the main character in them, and large sections of the story don't feature him at all. I think a lot of people, especially those coming from the games, are going to be surprised at where the focus is in this show. This season is as close as it'll ever get to the games, I suspect.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Welcome to the world of the Witcher books. Geralt isn't really the main character in them, and large sections of the story don't feature him at all. I think a lot of people, especially those coming from the games, are going to be surprised at where the focus is in this show. This season is as close as it'll ever get to the games, I suspect.
Yeah once it gets past the short stories Ciri is arguably the main character through to the end, so that's why it makes sense to pull her story forward and emphasize it more in the beginning.

Feb 16, 2018
Episode 4 down and it was good, the music is great and feels similar to the Witcher 3 in ways. The CGI and lighting are the things I want to see improved the most next season so far. But overall very enjoyable so far.

TissueBox

Oct 25, 2017
Urinated States of America
They're trying, oh they're tryying!! (sigh) Iunno if I could go all the way, compelled to stop as it were mid-episode 1. But I too will try I guess. If only it wasn't this... plastic. Albeit fun enough.

Cavill's performance on the other hand is like theater. It's clearly affected, but also always fascinating to watch, 'cause he actually makes it work. xD More Henry and I'm good!!

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Oh no....sounds like what they insisted on doing in every shot in the Netflix Sabrian the witch show, that made me turn it off forever.

Thank fuck it's nowhere near as bad as it is in Sabrina. That show was unwatchable for me since only a small circle in the middle of the screen was in focus and the rest was blurred. I have no idea what galaxy brain came up with this amazing and innovative way to shoot TV shows.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
I like the fact that Geralt is different from the books. In the books he is insufferable, pretentious and a whinejob. Constantly. There is no way a character like that would work in a mainstream setting which is why both CDPR and Netflix made the artistic decision to make him more grounded and without the annoying habits.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Thank fuck it's nowhere near as bad as it is in Sabrina. That show was unwatchable for me since only a small circle in the middle of the screen was in focus and the rest was blurred. I have no idea what galaxy brain came up with this amazing and innovative way to shoot TV shows.

Most likely same galaxy brain as one who thought up that chromatic aberration is best graphics effect ever to stack games with.

This show jumps between past and present so much without warning, I can barely keep track at times 🙁

After few episodes you get hang of jumps and start to lock event into their place on timeline.

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
cavill is way better than I was expecting but this show just commits the cardinal sin of just being kind of boring. it's not bad enough to be interesting and it definitely isn't good.

they tried and i guess i'm not against seeing a second season but they desperately need to trim these episodes down to like 40 minutes, pick up the pace a bit, and stop lighting everything like a home and garden magazine ad

also everyone was hyping up the fight scenes but every time they happen i just want to scream at the characters and beg them to hold a sword normally, ever

Epcott

Oct 25, 2017
US, East Coast
I thought it was pretty easy to follow because almost all flashbacks contain characters you know are dead.

I had gotten use to it (the origin of the "surprise" episode threw me off at first) but the beginning of episode 7 confused me, since I thought Doppleganger was setting up Geralt while posing as a friend... but no, it ended up being a flashback.

Not that I'm expecting them to use black and white footage to signify flashback exposition, but it makes the pacing seem a bit off for some reason when this show bounces around.

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just watched the first 3 episodes on my flight.

I love it.

Yeah, the first two episodes are especially shaky. They cram in a lot and I fully acknowledge my enjoyment is directly tied to how familiar I am with the characters and story, overall, from the games and stories. This really is one of those rare pieces of media where being a fan really increases your enjoyment. If I didn't know anything about the Witcher, as a series, I might feel completely differently. I fully acknowledge that. The sorceress stuff, especially, in ep 2 was a little obtuse.

But DAMN, I love this fucking show. I'm already sad that there are so few episodes. I really do wish some of these episodes were longer or split up. The elves stuff in ep 2 could have been 2 episodes, easily, for proper setup and payoff. Overall, it's a world that is fun to be in.

Acting is fantastic, really, across the board. I can't believe those early impressions complaining about Yennefer. She's a fucking standout. Cavill is great. He's good enough to make me wish he actually talked more.

Renfri <3

Is anyone familiar enough with the books to know how much dialogue is pulled from them? Folteat in particular has some great stuff ("love is bright but casts long shadows" or something like that). Really reminds me occasionally of how the LOTR movies would use Tolkien's writing. Comparisons to late GoT is LAUGHABLE. There is some beautifully written stuff here, although there are occasional rough spots.

I truly don't understand the complaints about the cinematography. I think what most pe itsople are actually complaining about is the color grading, which is inconsistent and ugly at times.

Who knows, maybe it gets worse. This show is really what The Mandalorian should have been in a lot of ways. ________ of the week, strong characters, action, acting. Pulpy but with some genuinely powerful moments and stories.

The reviews are a bit baffling but like I said, I get it if you aren't familiar with the series. I've been playing since the first game.

Oct 26, 2017
I still can't decide if I should warn my brother of the different timelines going on before he starts, or if it is part of the charm, and just let him figure it out. While I wasn't a fan at first, it grew on me.

Manipular

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Detroit, MI
The acting is, for the most part, a strong point thus far (only on episode 5). Henry is MUCH better than I was anticipating, and Yennefer and Queen Calanthe are both great as well.

Kabuki Waq

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
having played the games i really enjoyed the show. Cavill nails Geralt. Yen looks about 10 years too young but is good otherwise.

i felt swordplay was surprisingly well choreographed and but direction was hit and miss depending on the episode.

cant wait for next season

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
First episode down. I'm kind of mixed on it. Like the component parts of the episode in a vacuum were FINE, but something about them didn't mesh together for some reason. I'm not understanding the connection they're trying to draw between Geralt's interactions with Renfri and Ciri's Elder Blood story.

The final fight was great. I guess we get to see Yen in episode 2?