• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
Don't really remember those instances but it's certainly possible, I mean:
Main gist of Witcher 1 plot is in many respects rehash of Ciri plotline.
Witcher 2's third act on the other hand is a near copy paste of a certain Times of Contempt storyline.

And most of the main story in Witcher 3 is basically the same as the main saga

Lausebub

Nov 4, 2017
Why can the sometimes just portal around and then don't use when there in danger.

Didn't teleportation take some preperation in the books games?

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the first episode, having only played the games it's cool to see the stuff based on the original books so it's familiar yet different.

Renfri was kinda awesome (and very pretty lol). That fight as the end was some dope shit, I know they said it's not based on the games at all but man that felt like you could have just stuck a UI up in the corner and it would have felt right.

Ciri's grandmother was a badass mofo, did not expect her to be out there in full plate murdering dudes.

DrBillRiverman

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
England
So just finished episode 3 and
the moment where Yennifer walks into the ball after her transformation. That was a wow moment from me, felt like "Yup, that's the Yennifer I know

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
What the sorceress do is to use magic or elixirs in order to remain young; cause sorceress are decades old. They also use magic to hide physical deformities, even mutilation.

Some get affected by war some others not.

I know about this - I read all the books and played all the game but in the books and games, it's mentioned many times that the girls that go to the Aretuza school are girls that aren't welcome in their homes anymore because they are ugly or have some deformations and only after they are full, powerfull sorceresses they can change their appearance.. but in the show all the girls apart from Yennefer look normal or beautiful already, and Yenn is the only one who goes through transformation

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
  • CG could be better
  • Doesn't seem low budget but at the same time I wouldn't say its a "high budget" show either if that makes sense
  • Cinematography overall has been nice - some great shots, there's a fight scene in episode 1 that is great
  • Yennifers actress has surprised me - the trailer made her seem eh, but so far she's done a good job
  • Cavil as Geralt has done a great job
So yea, overall I'm enjoying it! 8/10. Surprised to see the reviews so low. Maybe it gets worse or maybe they went in expecting something else, idk.

Finished it.

What I got from the show was a look of "a big budget" yet one that wasn't always efficiently used and at times it seemed like the budget wasn't big enough for what they wanted to do with certain scenes. The show at times looked really good, fantastic even, but those moments seemed like outliers to me, and I'm not comparing it to "Game of Thrones S08" as if that's the only thing anyone is supposedly comparing it to.

It might have been the directing, but sometimes shots and framing looked really flat and the acting was just as flat, while other times it was pretty good. Overall the show was very uneven to me. I think Yennifer carried the show too, although Geralt was mostly decent.

My wife and son came home before I could start last episode. Now I'm sad....gotta wait until they go to sleep to finish.

It's one of the best three, if not the best I think.

Last edited:

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Just finished episode 3 - fucking hell this show is incredible

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I know about this - I read all the books and played all the game but in the books and games, it's mentioned many times that the girls that go to the Aretuza school are girls that aren't welcome in their homes anymore because they are ugly or have some deformations

I would have to dig up my books to find the exact quote, but as someone who's read the books at least 10+ times during the past two decades, I'm 100% sure you're wrong.
In fact, Ciri gets sent to Arethuza (show does it without the "h" for some reason) and she's not physically disabled in any way.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
4 episodes in

Confused about the time lines.

There were at least two. But now it seems there are more or am I confused ?!

Oct 27, 2017
Made it about 40 minutes into episode 1. I would have watched more but it's late and my wife wants to go to bed so we'll pick it back up tomorrow. Not bad so far, although my main issue is that there's a lot of references to characters and events I don't know about and have no context for and I can't keep up with all the names of people, places and creatures. I kind of feel it would be better following Geralt exclusively to begin with and deliver information through him (ie he finds out there's been a battle and the Queen of Citra has died), and some sort of map with a voiceover at the beginning to establish a bit of geography and political landscape.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
Just started episode 3 so far it's been pretty damn good

Don't think I'll finish in one sitting but honestly probably this weekend I'll be done excited to see where it goes

Zealuu

Feb 13, 2018
4 episodes in

Confused about the time lines.

There were at least two. But now it seems there are more or am I confused ?!

Three: Ciri in the present, Geralt and Yen in the past. For the sake of convenience you could just split it into now/then, but Geralt's episodes move forward in time at a faster pace and isn't entirely parallel with Yen's.

The show tries, perhaps too subtly, to show this by putting King Foltest and his sister as young children at the sorcesses' proving dance, and later by showing Geralt's visit to a younger Cintran court featuring Calanthe, Mousesack, etc, where Pavetta is revealed to be pregnant with Ciri.

Caught four episodes today. Love it so far, but the lack of onboarding is pretty rough. You either buckle up for the ride or bounce off it hard, I suspect.

Last edited:

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
I'm three episodes in and confused on some things -

1. How does the Brotherhood of Sorcerers work? Does each council member have an academy of students like Tissaia? What exactly is their goal? Just to graduate sorcerers and assign them to various kingdoms? Are their intentions genuine, or are they politically manipulating kingdoms against one another?

2. Why does Tissaia demean and insult Yenn in episode 2? It is to push her to get better because she recognizes that Yenn has the most potential?

3. What is going on Cintra that prevents a mage with Elven blood from being placed in Aedirn's court? I'm not sure I understand this dynamic.

4. What is the test that Yenn passed in episode 2 with the dandelion that involved Istredd? Tissaia said it was about "controlling her emotions" but I don't understand the purpose of any of that.

5. How did Ostrit curse the child? Doesn't this require magic of some kind?

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
There is three at that stage.

Episode 1 to 4 spoilers :

timelines :
Ciri running from her castle falling and her grandmother, the Lioness dying.
Young Yennefer is way before Geralt. Then Yennefer getting her body fixed and entering the court, we see young Folest with his Sister
Geralt aiding Foltest with Triss, when Foltest is old.

but episode 4 introduces how Geralt met the Lioness and Pavetta is Ciri's mother.

So before episode 1.

phaze

Oct 26, 2017
Should be illegal to issue any fantasy series without a proper map.

No but seriously, I think sneaking one in somehow would help out a lot people. I can't imagine new arrivals have the slightest of clues of what is going when the show throws nilfgaard, dol blathanna, temeria at them and it could help in understanding Ciri plotline.

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
Finished episode 2 just now.

Man, I'm really liking it. Literally can't understand the "oh they have no budget lolz" complaints - it looks better than a lot of other shows. It's unfair to compare it to The Mandalorian or GOT S8 because their budget was/is ridiculous for TV, but this looks a lot better than some of the complaints would make you believe.

Ep 1 was a bit clunky, yes, and I wasn't a big fan of the change they did to the ending stand-off from the short story, but the coreography of the fight was fucking amazing. Seriously, that was pure Witcher ability on display, absolutely loved it.

Ep 2 was better IMHO and I think Anya Chalotra's acting in this episode was a definite highlight. So was Joey Batey's Jaskier - that Toss a Coin to your Witcher song is incredibly catchy.

I'm excited for the next episodes :D

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
I'm three episodes in and confused on some things -

1. How does the Brotherhood of Sorcerers work? Does each council member have an academy of students like Tissaia? What exactly is their goal? Just to graduate sorcerers and assign them to various kingdoms? Are their intentions genuine, or are they politically manipulating kingdoms against one another?

2. Why does Tissaia demean and insult Yenn in episode 2? It is to push her to get better because she recognizes that Yenn has the most potential?

3. What is going on Cintra that prevents a mage with Elven blood from being placed in Aedirn's court? I'm not sure I understand this dynamic.

4. What is the test that Yenn passed in episode 2 with the dandelion that involved Istredd? Tissaia said it was about "controlling her emotions" but I don't understand the purpose of any of that.

5. How did Ostrit curse the child? Doesn't this require magic of some kind?

To answer each:
The Brotherhood are the ones who regulate and control the proliferation of magic on the continent (that isn't within the purview of some other order, like Witchers). On paper, their duty is to train magic users so as to best advise and support the various noble houses of the Northern Kingdoms. In practise, they train them to exert their own influence and control over the Kingdoms. Think like a mystic version of the papacy as with regards to Catholic Europe.

A bit of that, a bit because Yennefer's just a tad too independent for her liking, and a bit because Yennefer's proving difficult to comprehend. She's not useful as a pawn while all of this is the case, and then Yennefer turns the tables on her - and the council - anyway, acting of her own accord and succeeding for it in episode 3

The Northern Kingdoms in general don't like elves, because they claimed the north by displacing the elves Trail of Tears style. In this case, King Virfuril - Aedirn is his kingdom - is a major trading partner of Cintra, who particularly hate elves (there's a whole heap of irony in this, trust me), and thus would potentially take offense to someone of elven descent in a position of power, namely that of advisor to their trading partner's king.

I think this was a test of her willingness to act against Istredd in the interests of her teacher, with the latter being interested on whether or not the flower paid any particular part in Istredd's portal magic, which he noted as quite special due to its basis in elven magic.

Ritual has power in the world of the Witcher, with or without any individual act of magic to drive it. Same way the curse is then undone by Geralt keeping the striga outside its crypt until it hears a rooster crow three times, without him needing to cast any kind of spell or incantation to do so (him using signs was just to keep the crypt shut). Do the right (or wrong) thing, and the world itself will enforce it. So curse someone, so long as you've done it 'correctly'? Then you've cursed them, sorcerer or no. A number of Geralt's misadventures involve people stumbling into shit like this because they thought it was all just words, but nope.

Oct 25, 2017
Yo if the Tumblr kids get into the show it's going to skyrocket.

Just Cavill's everything plus that characterization is like weaponized fan bait

is it still Tumblr or did all the thirsty people move to Twitter I can't remember

Keyframe

Oct 29, 2017
Can someone explain me what happens at the end of EP4?

When geralt claims the law of surprise, the queen is like no what have you done! and the princess throws up?

I am so lost to whats happening in this whole ep4 geralt story.

Antiax

Oct 27, 2017
I have just finished watching 2 episode.
I'm huge fan of the franchrise, I have read all books in Polish 4 or 5 times so far.
I really liked first episode despite mediocre editing and cgi at times. I would rate it 8/10.
Second episode seemed worse. I felt editing was messy and some dialogues really confusing. I doubt anyone who isn't familiar with the franchise knew what was going on at times.
Anyways, it's better than I expected. Can't wait to see the rest.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
To answer each:
The Brotherhood are the ones who regulate and control the proliferation of magic on the continent (that isn't within the purview of some other order, like Witchers). On paper, their duty is to train magic users so as to best advise and support the various noble houses of the Northern Kingdoms. In practise, they train them to exert their own influence and control over the Kingdoms. Think like a mystic version of the papacy as with regards to Catholic Europe.

A bit of that, a bit because Yennefer's just a tad too independent for her liking, and a bit because Yennefer's proving difficult to comprehend. She's not useful as a pawn while all of this is the case, and then Yennefer turns the tables on her - and the council - anyway, acting of her own accord and succeeding for it in episode 3

The Northern Kingdoms in general don't like elves, because they claimed the north by displacing the elves Trail of Tears style. In this case, King Virfuril - Aedirn is his kingdom - is a major trading partner of Cintra, who particularly hate elves (there's a whole heap of irony in this, trust me), and thus would potentially take offense to someone of elven descent in a position of power, namely that of advisor to their trading partner's king.

I think this was a test of her willingness to act against Istredd in the interests of her teacher, with the latter being interested on whether or not the flower paid any particular part in Istredd's portal magic, which he noted as quite special due to its basis in elven magic.

Ritual has power in the world of the Witcher, with or without any individual act of magic to drive it. Same way the curse is then undone by Geralt keeping the striga outside its crypt until it hears a rooster crow three times, without him needing to cast any kind of spell or incantation to do so (him using signs was just to keep the crypt shut). Do the right (or wrong) thing, and the world itself will enforce it. So curse someone, so long as you've done it 'correctly'? Then you've cursed them, sorcerer or no. A number of Geralt's misadventures involve people stumbling into shit like this because they thought it was all just words, but nope.

Thanks, this clears up a lot.

justjim89

Nov 16, 2017

When geralt claims the law of surprise, the queen is like no what have you done! and the princess throws up?

The princess is pregnant with Ciri. The queen is mad because a witcher claimed her grandchild. Geralt hates the idea of being tied to a kid. Usually, as said in the episode, the law of surprise results in crops or livestock.

Zealuu

Feb 13, 2018

The Princess pukes because she's pregnant, but didn't know until just then. So by the law of surprise, Geralt is now owed their child. Neither Calanthe nor Geralt wanted that, but Mousesack is essentially right. Destiny or no, The Law of Surprise operates on mercurial, but primordially powerful magical rules.

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
Wasn't planning on binging this, but I ended up doing it cause I just wanted to see what happens next.

And now the year+ wait begins.

Feb 16, 2018
Episode 2 down and I'm continuing to enjoy it, Yennifer is great so far but wish we got a little more of Geralt and Dandelion or Jaskier whatever he's called here.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Just finished the first episode. Loved all of it. If it continues like this then it's my show of the year. Critics can eat me.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Feels like Generic Fantasy Show so far, but it's entertaining enough still. Geralt's probably the least interesting of all the main characters though.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Ep. 1 was great. It feels like the game (which is all I'm familiar with). This could be the best game adaptation to date.
The quest, the moral dilemma, finishes it in style with an amazing sword fight. God damn. Fuck Sternobog or whatever, I was hoping Geralt was going to kill him.
Ciri has weird eyes but she's a good actress.

I think the Nilfgaard plot was a bit quick though. It just happens, like hey they're coming OH SHIT they're here oh shit we're fucked. But I guess you have to start somewhere.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
Ep. 1 was great. It feels like the game (which is all I'm familiar with). This could be the best game adaptation to date.
The quest, the moral dilemma, finishes it in style with an amazing sword fight. God damn. Fuck Sternobog or whatever, I was hoping Geralt was going to kill him.
Ciri has weird eyes but she's a good actress.

I think the Nilfgaard plot was a bit quick though. It just happens, like hey they're coming OH SHIT they're here oh shit we're fucked. But I guess you have to start somewhere.

Except it's not a game adaption, it's based on the books and won't draw anything from the games at all.

Oct 25, 2017
they didn't 100% say they wouldn't draw anything from the games and Cavill's taking a bit from the vocal performance of the dude who did the VO for Geralt.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I can't believe this was positioned as the next GoT. The first episode was weak. Poor writing, pacing and narrative delivery.

So much of it just felt too glossy and forced. The emotional moments felt completely hollow, and aside from the final sword fight (which was great), the rest of the action or battles had very little tension, suspense or impact. Ciri's
screaming
was also just silly.

Honestly this felt closer to Spartacus or some other not to be taken too seriously, cheesy as hell but semi fun show, instead of something grittier and more emotionally resonant like GoT.

I'll keep watching, but damn was that first episode disappointing.

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Watched the first three episodes. Definitely ramping up in quality, episode 3 finale was amazing.

I can definitely see a lot of people unfamiliar with the books and/or games bounce off this though, the series spends little time on introductions and explanations.