• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bubukill

Oct 25, 2017
Panama
Yennefer is perfect and I was worried about it at first.

I can say this having read all the books prior playing The Witcher 3.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
think one issue I have with the show is that I can't really tell which story is in which time.
Until now I thought Yen's story was set in the same time as Geralt doing his thing for Cintra and the butcher business, then I see Yen talking about how she's been doing her job for 30 years, so apparently there's a time skip and this is the same time as Ciri escaping and Cintra's downfall? Are any of Geralt's scenes until episode 4 set in this more current timeline post Ciri?

Trice

Banned
Nov 3, 2018
Croatia
At your final breath, a shitless death.

But, I doubt it.

giphy.gif

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Okay, what is up with the single floodlight shining in the scenes in Brokilon Forest from out of nowhere? What is the artistic intent?
It looks like a lighting bug in Fallout 76.

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
So one question: So the only sorceress in the show that has her beauty thanks to magic/transformation is Yennefer? All other sorceresses, like for example Sabrina and Fringilla, have their natural looks ? Even as novices and as full sorceresses?

Herr Starr

Oct 26, 2017
Norway
So one question: So the only sorceress in the show that has her beauty thanks to magic/transformation is Yennefer? All other sorceresses, like for example Sabrina and Fringilla, have their natural looks ? Even as novices and as full sorceresses?

It appears this way. This contradicts the books, where sorceresses normally come from the very bottom of society, typically those who are deformed or otherwise unable to function normally. In the show, it appears their main reason for recruiting someone is that they've already demonstrated magical aptitude.

Dec 5, 2017

I think in the books they all go thru that process but they probably cut back on it for practically / budget reasons.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Episode 2....

Some of the dialog is.......

"Your mother fuck a goat?" "you're a dick, with balls"

- Geralt

"Did your mother fuck a snowman?"

- the other person

I put crazy hours into Witcher 3, Geralt never ever said anything as cringe as this. Doubt he's like this in the books as well. Boy this part is just bad.....Henry's acting is real cheesy here too.

Last edited:

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Wait,
this has multiple timelines going on at once? And nothing to tell when each timeline is set except to figure it out like 3 episodes later?

RandomSeed

Oct 27, 2017
It is and I'm not the only one who feels this way, must be because the games got us into the series so we're so attached to all the characters cdpr made

You may not like her casting for legit reasons, but plenty of people that "feel that way", that had an issue with casting, was because they weren't all white.

perineumlick

Nov 12, 2017
I also don't get the complaints about the show looking cheap; it looks stunning to me. Dodgy CGI aside, nothing looks cosplayish, I think it looks sufficiently lavish as far as sword and sorcery films go.

Bubukill

Oct 25, 2017
Panama
think one issue I have with the show is that I can't really tell which story is in which time.
Until now I thought Yen's story was set in the same time as Geralt doing his thing for Cintra and the butcher business, then I see Yen talking about how she's been doing her job for 30 years, so apparently there's a time skip and this is the same time as Ciri escaping and Cintra's downfall? Are any of Geralt's scenes until episode 4 set in this more current timeline post Ciri?

Till episode 4, it does not seem so.

The first books were like this too, different timelines. Basically short storties

perineumlick

Nov 12, 2017
You may not like her casting for legit reasons, but plenty of people that "feel that way", that had an issue with casting, was because they weren't all white.
You know, that's another thing I find refreshing about this; the casting of characters is so diverse. The people of color are not just relegated to being background noise or slaves.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
It does this at least one more time. It hasn't gotten clearer a few episodes later yet.

Oct 26, 2017
They REALLY focused on one of them having big boobs at the dance in a way that made me think you're supposed to think she had them beefed up from enchantments.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017

I can say this having read all the books prior playing The Witcher 3.

I like her a lot. Also, I don't know if this is actually considered spoiler material or not, since it's just a question about the source, but I'll tag it anyway.
Is Ciri's backstory/ancestry in this more in line with the books, or is it radically different from them like it is with TW3?

The timeline stuff does become much clearer by the end of the series.

After being conditioned with nonlinear storytelling since Lost (and everything that followed), it's usually not a thing for me, but sometimes in this they just do a random time jump and you have to wait a minute before you realize where they actually are, and sometimes they seem abrupt.

MassiveNights

Oct 25, 2017
I am pretty sure in the show all the mages prepare for court as an idealised version of themselves, not just Yen. If they were happy with their appearance already, it's unlikely they will go through much change. But they all have to pay the toll.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Episode 2....

Some of the dialog is.......

"Your mother fuck a goat?" "you're a dick, with balls"

- Geralt

"Did your mother fuck a snowman?"

- the other person

I put crazy hours into Witcher 3, Geralt never ever said anything as cringe as this. Doubt he's like this in the books as well. Boy this part is just bad.....Henry's acting is real cheesy here too.

Truth be told, the exchange between the Sylvan and Geralt (and Jaskier) is filled with expletives in the short book story this scene is based on. It falls flat in the show because they didn't really flesh out the Sylvan sufficiently, but in the source material, he's a fairly amusing and extremely foul-mouthed individual.

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful Province of Quebec.
Watched the first 2 episodes...I like it,whish there was a little more action but its still in the introducing parts so hopefully it comes later...way better then I was expecting... ***phew***

Oh and that Geralt ''Hmmphh'' at the end was perfect lol,just like the game.

Bubukill

Oct 25, 2017
Panama

What the sorceress do is to use magic or elixirs in order to remain young; cause sorceress are decades old. They also use magic to hide physical deformities, even mutilation.

Some get affected by war some others not.

Braag

Nov 7, 2017
Truth be told, the exchange between the Sylvan and Geralt (and Jaskier) is filled with expletives in the short book story this scene is based on. It falls flat in the show because they didn't really flesh out the Sylvan sufficiently, but in the source material, he's a fairly amusing and extremely foul-mouthed individual.
Yeah that part was super brief yet in the books it was actually a fairly lengthy story. Though I understand why they wanted to keep it short.

Torque's CGI wasn't very good... and they wanted to limit how much they had to show it... Honestly they should have just gone with makeup instead of CGI.

Oct 27, 2017

Landawng

The Fallen
Nov 9, 2017
Denver/Aurora, CO
Omg the triss casting is even worse than yennefer, cdpr literally made the perfect template for them to copy and they messed it up big time
2FECBC08EB20C64792F0EA8B5F2EF99A3A22C7FD

I won't lie at first the actress who plays Triss definitely seemed a bit miscast and I blame myself for that due to the game, because I straight up loooove Triss from the games. It was a bit jarring. Show Triss was good though, so I'll get used to it.

Show Yennefer is fucking perfect tho so far. My favorite character right now

Last edited:

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Watched the first episode and though I liked it, I found the dialogue was really corny. It looks really cheap at times as well. Armor and costuming looks fine but the Nilfgardians look absolutely comical. My brother and I were laughing cause we were imagining how upset we would be if we got bodied by a bunch of raisins like them. Shout out to Mousesack for the most unfortunate name in the continent as well.

I really started to roll my eyes when
characters started to describe horrific acts. Like we get it, this person is bad. Or they do awful stuff. We dont need you to drone on about how they gouged peoples eyes out or whatever else.

The sword fight choreography is great though. Geralt's a badass.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
So is Triss demeaning and hard on Yennifer because she can tell that Yenn has more potential than any of the other girls, even though she struggled a bit?

Also I don't really understand -
The dandelion thing with Istredd. Yenn opened a portal on her very first try, but she was using Istredd and this was somehow a test from Triss? I'm not sure I followed that very well.

James Darmody

Nov 22, 2018

They'll address this as the series goes on. Don't fret.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Omg the triss casting is even worse than yennefer, cdpr literally made the perfect template for them to copy and they messed it up big time
2FECBC08EB20C64792F0EA8B5F2EF99A3A22C7FD
I really wish people would stop bringing up the damn games. And I say that as someone who considers Witcher 3 to be the best game i have ever played.

The way that the characters are portrayed in the games have basically NOTHING to do with how they are portrayed in the books. And the show is based on the books not the games.

Bubukill

Oct 25, 2017
Panama
I like her a lot. Also, I don't know if this is actually considered spoiler material or not, since it's just a question about the source, but I'll tag it anyway.
Is Ciri's backstory/ancestry in this more in line with the books, or is it radically different from them like it is with TW3?

After being conditioned with nonlinear storytelling since Lost (and everything that followed), it's usually not a thing for me, but sometimes in this they just do a random time jump and you have to wait a minute before you realize where they actually are, and sometimes they seem abrupt.

A brief spoiler about the books and how things with Ciri, Cintra and Brokilon are handle on the books.

From what I remember from the books; they are taking all the ancestry stuff exactly as the books. However, the timelines and events are being handled quite differently.

In the books, Ciri did not get into the Brokilon Forest and met Geralt after the fall of Cintra; this was way before the fall of Cintra. Instead, Ciri was escaping Cintra cause she did not want to be married with a royal boy her grandmother imposed, so she fled and got lost into the Brokilon Forest after being chased by Cintra's scouts and guards. Geralt was in Brokilon at that moment, so he rescued her and got her back to Cintra despite beinf aware she was the "She is your Destiny or "your child lf surprise" thing

Fast forward a couple of months and the fall of Cintra happens, Ciri already knowing who Geralf was

JustinBB7

Nov 16, 2017
As a big fan of the books/games I liked it. But some of the changes they made were very frustrating and made no sense to me. Specially Ciri's storyline.