• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, those are for suicide. Since Martin's dad was only given two, he had to do the deed with the available knife. It's meant to drive home how horrifying the alternative is, though YMMV

And no, Renfri wasn't a witcher. She was just a travelling warrior, her brooch being because she's
former royalty
, not as a mark of any school

So was Stregobor lying about her being a mutant or something? I remember him saying that his magic wouldn't work on her.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
So was Stregobor lying about her being a mutant or something? I remember him saying that his magic wouldn't work on her.

It's meant to be ambiguous as to whether he is or isn't, though with a heavy lean on it being him believing his own bullshit. Problem is, Geralt can't verify any of the background details because he's in the ass end of nowhere, and Stregobor has clearly not kept the corpses from the previous girls intact.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
I'm early in, but goddamn, this show is fucking incredible.

This is everything I wanted Game of Thrones to be before I really knew what I was (I never read the books).

Oct 26, 2017
Only a bit into Episode 6, but I like the small moments showing Geralt has a heart:

Geralt telling everyone to sheathe their weapons, the creature is just hungry, then that knight killing it. That was a good moment. Could've been a tad shorter though

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017

Renfri was a princess born at a specific time that meant she was cursed. Because of this curse Stregobor and others assumed she would be evil. So they basically cast her out. He sent her into the woods with a huntsman that was going to kill her. He raped her and Renfri killed him and was able to escape instead. She spends her life on the run, killing and thieving while being pursued by Stregobor and others. Basically she's assumed to be a monster from the get go but that assumption is exactly what makes her into a monster. The part about magic probably doesn't matter if it's true or not Stegobor believed she was cursed and wanted to Geralt to kill her. Stregobor likely afraid of her because at this point she's really fucking good at killing and such.

BearPawB

I'm a fan of the erotic thriller genre
Oct 25, 2017
I love that episode 3 is just a quest from the first witcher (i'm sure it is from the books, but it was the first moment that made me go HEY i remeber doing this!)

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
...Man, the second episode makes the first feel oddly reserved. It leans way harder into the fantasy elements and being visually brighter.

Dobbie078

Oct 28, 2017
Finished it and loved it even though it had some rough bits here and there, question though where should I pick up the books after this?

Deleted member 23908

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Omg the triss casting is even worse than yennefer, cdpr literally made the perfect template for them to copy and they messed it up big time
2FECBC08EB20C64792F0EA8B5F2EF99A3A22C7FD

Lionheart360

Oct 27, 2017
Is anyone else having trouble following the dialogue? I can't tell if they're just speaking really fast or whether it's the accents or what

Herr Starr

Oct 26, 2017
Norway
I love that episode 3 is just a quest from the first witcher (i'm sure it is from the books, but it was the first moment that made me go HEY i remeber doing this!)

It's not a quest from that game. It's the intro. The plot in this episode is the background for why things happen the way they do in that game, but you don't actually play through this stuff.

It's extra fun to go back and look at the intro now though, to compare the way it was portrayed in both versions. IIRC, the intro in the first game is closer to the books than what we saw in the show, but it's nothing major.

Edit: Actually, having watched the game intro again right now, it's not closer to the books than the show is after all.

Last edited:

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I didn't get the part of Ep 2 when
The girls were turned into eels
Sometimes the best thing a flower can do for us is to die.

The girls were presumable found to be lacking in magical potential and are turned into eels to be used as conduits to channel magical energy into Aretuza. Never heard of their names either in the books or games unlike Sabrina Glevissig or Fringilla Vigo. So yeah they're dead.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
It's not a quest from that game. It's the intro. The plot in this episode is the background for why things happen the way they do in that game, but you don't actually play through this stuff.

It's extra fun to go back and look at the intro now though, to compare the way it was portrayed in both versions. IIRC, the intro in the first game is closer to the books than what we saw in the show, but it's nothing major.

To clarify, it's the original Witcher story, which is why CDPR had the cutscene for it even though it was largely not tied to the actual plot of the game.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Erm no show Yennefer is great, and exceptionally beautiful too. Show Triss is a weird one, she is like a side character (which I guess she is in this one). Oddly though, the actress also looks far better in real life than she does in show.

Shoe Dandelion is great too. Cavill is just doing Witcher 3 Geralt from head to toe in looks and voice.

Scythe

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm so damn happy that this show exists. Finished the season. As a book reader, it makes me excited for what is to come and how they left breadcrumbs. The show kept getting better with each episode. Need to do a rewatch ASAP.

Trice

Banned
Nov 3, 2018
Croatia
IMO the "problem" with Triss is not that she's not a freckled redhead or something, just that she's not as memorable as Ciri or Yennefer.

Yennefer has piercing eyes, jet black hair and the actress' Indian heritage accentuates it even further. Ciri looks beautiful and fragile, with silky hair, like I'd imagine a pampered princess named Cirilla would look like. Triss just looks...ordinary...meh. I might sound like a dick, but for a sorceress who's supposed to be the ultimate memorable beauty, she doesn't pass as one.

I agree that show Yen beats game Yen. Great cast, Ciri as well.

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
I don't get the hate, episode 3 and 4 were very good.

I just don't like the general cheap look of the show, I don't really know what the reason for that is, lighting? general cinematography skills? no idea. but it's not just the costumes and setpieces.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
The more into this the more I'm really enjoying this.

I think episode 1 had a very tonally dodgy first half but after that it picks up and gets better and better. Some scenes really hit an emotional high.

Herr Starr

Oct 26, 2017
Norway
Triss just looks...ordinary...meh. I might sound like a dick, but for a sorceress who's supposed to be the ultimate memorable beauty, she doesn't pass as one.

I don't remember Triss being described that way at all in the books. She's beautiful like all sorceresses, but she doesn't stick out among them and is actually rather conservative because of her refusal to wear plunging necklines.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
IMO the "problem" with Triss is not that she's not a freckled redhead or something, just that she's not as memorable as Ciri or Yennefer.

Yennefer has piercing eyes, jet black hair and the actress' Indian heritage accentuates it even further. Ciri looks beautiful and fragile, with silky hair, like I'd imagine a pampered princess named Cirilla would look like. Triss just looks...ordinary...meh. I might sound like a dick, but for a sorceress who's supposed to be the ultimate memorable beauty, she doesn't pass as one.

It helps that Ciri and Yen both have dedicated storylines, with the latter in particularly honestly getting some of the strongest content - not being a truncated adaptation. You really get why she so desperately holds onto what she gains in life, because good god has she had to fight for any little scrap.

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
Finished episode 3. Anya Chalotra is fantastic as Yennefer. The casting and acting in general surpassed my expectations, as did the fight and action scenes.

Oct 26, 2017
I don't get the hate, episode 3 and 4 were very good.

I just don't like the general cheap look of the show, I don't really know what the reason for that is, lighting? general cinematography skills? no idea. but it's not just the costumes and setpieces.
When it does look cheap, it is a mix of lighting and things looking way too clean for me.

Lausebub

Nov 4, 2017
Just finished episode 6. I hope season 2 gets a higher budget. Lighting and cinematography and some of the costums are just bad.

I like the casting, but Triss should look younger.

Trice

Banned
Nov 3, 2018
Croatia
It helps that Ciri and Yen both have dedicated storylines, with the latter in particularly honestly getting some of the strongest content - not being a truncated adaptation. You really get why she so desperately holds onto what she gains in life, because good god has she had to fight for any little scrap.
Yeah the focus on Yen and Ciri definitely helps with distinction.

While we're at it, I'd like more Geralt. I'm on ep.4 so it might change but I'd really like to see more Geralt.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017

I don't remember Triss being described that way at all in the books. She's beautiful like all sorceresses, but she doesn't stick out among them and is actually rather conservative because of her refusal to wear plunging necklines.
Isn't Triss like the only sorceress in the stories who is naturally beautiful and not enhanced by magic at all since she is allergic to it? That'd explain why she doesn't look out of the world pretty like others but just pretty.

Oct 25, 2017
Underground
Episode 4

This show is amazing. It's gotten better with each episode. It's quite a bit better than The Mandalorian, and I fucking love The Mandalorian.

Queen Calanthe...whew. She is beautiful and a badass.

This show is gorgeous. Anyone saying it looks cheap needs to get their eyes checked.

Once again, the acting is really, really good and the soundtrack is great.

Why did the queen ask Geralt "What have you done, Witcher?" Was it about him claiming the law of surprise or something else? If the former, is Geralt responsible for them being destroyed by Nilfgaard because he went against destiny?

Herr Starr

Oct 26, 2017
Norway
Isn't Triss like the only sorceress in the stories who is naturally beautiful and not enhanced by magic at all since she is allergic to it? That'd explain why she doesn't look out of the world pretty like others but just pretty.

I don't think that's the case.

She gets mortally wounded at Sodden Hill and magically patched up again, so she can't be allergic to the procedures used to alter looks. On the other hand, they never manage to completely get rid of her scars.