• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
I wish the cinematography was better, or at least more inspired.

Finished Ep 6, loved it. Going to stop there for today.
This season is a good start with potential to be something special imo, unfortunately the flaws keep it from hitting those heights.

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't played the video game. Does geralt sound like this?

I'm 10 minutes in and it's like Superman is doing his best Batman impression.

Yeah, it's similar to how he talks in the games. It took me some getting used to when I first played them, but after a bit it definitely fits the character. Cavill is doing some great work here I think, as is the rest of the main cast.

random88

Oct 25, 2017
Not US
It started a little bit wonky at first, but the second half of first episode is good and after that it only gets better. This show is legit good, and Cavill is a fine Geralt.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Yeah, Cavill is doing an impression of Doug Cockle's Geralt. It's most unfortunate.
The character doesn't sound like that in other languages, nor in the Polish TV show and radio drama audiobooks.

"the character doesn't sound like that... in books"
(and also in other unrelated adaptations of the books, including one that is almost 20 years old and widely derided).

Sound argument.

RandomSeed

Oct 27, 2017
Gravel voice Geralt always worked for me, since he's old and heavily mutated. Intimidation is also useful in his world.

Darksol

Oct 28, 2017
Japan
I'm like twenty seconds into the first episode and it's already dopey as fuck.

Getting Legend of the Seeker vibes, it's that ugh.

ak1287

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, Cavill is doing an impression of Doug Cockle's Geralt. It's most unfortunate.
The character doesn't sound like that in other languages, nor in the Polish TV show and radio drama audiobooks.
Peter Kenny just sounds like a Yorkie Cockle.
I'm like twenty seconds into the first episode and it's already dopey as fuck.

Getting Legend of the Seeker vibes, it's that ugh.
I'm pretty sure 20 seconds in all you've seen is a black screen and maybe some water.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Video game geralt's voice worked in the games because they're more light hearted. And Geralt was less stand off-ish.

Likewise in the show I think the voice works well in the more lighter hearted and humourous scenes, and when the characters sarcastic humour shows through.

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
I reaaaaallly love reading all the positive impressions. :)

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
On episode 6 and wildly entertained.

This is far better than i was expecting! Great performances and fun characters and dialogue

What a nice surprise this show has become for me

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
I skipped to episode 5 and this show SUCKS.

Nothing even makes sense.

Fuck this.

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
"the character doesn't sound like that... in books"
(and also in other unrelated adaptations of the books, including one that is almost 20 years old and widely derided).

Sound argument.
I didn't say that, you weirdo. The question was about the games.
I think it's worthwhile to point out that no-one else tried to make Geralt sound like a parody of Solid Snake. There are three different adaptations in its native language and all of them made him sound like a human being. The Polish TV show has always been a joke, but Żebrowski's portayal of the character is actually pretty good, all things considered.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Just finished the first episode. It was...just ok? Some odd cinematography in places, mixed on the CGI, acting ranges from meh to good, kind of messy and only really came together in that last 10 minutes. Oh man, and so many names just thrown out there like an exposition dump.

Blade30

Oct 26, 2017
Nice that the show has been getting decent to good impressions so far. I'll watch this tomorrow.
I skipped to episode 5 and this show SUCKS.

Nothing even makes sense.

Fuck this.
Bro, have you considered a job as a TV reviewer?

Or as a Movie reviewer? Just skip to the ending, same thing. Anyway that EW is just stupidly embarrassing, it should be taken down if they are not reviewing it properly.

Oct 26, 2017
Episode 4
Jumping around in time. My brain is quickly trying to put it all in order. Geralt at parties is always fun though.

Deleted member 835

User requested account deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is so bad. The acting, the cinematography, the lighting. It's not even cheesy bad it is just unwatchable bad.

MassiveNights

Oct 25, 2017
I am quickly realising why they were in a rush to make a second season. The story is barely beginning and there are only 2 episodes left. I am really hoping this is popular because I think this all has loads of potential.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
I just wanted this to be a kinda goofy, pulpy fantasy and that's pretty much what it is. I'm enjoying the hell out of it.

I just wish the set designs didn't look so bland.

Oct 27, 2017
Episode 3 down, I'll probably just be able to watch one more today. It's been getting better with every episode so far, and I liked the first episode well enough. Really looking forward to what's ahead.

If I did have a complaint it would be that some scenes (mostly the sets in them) look really fucking cheap. There's one bit in episode 3 that reminded me of something Syfy might have in the late 90's or early 00's. But all in all it's a really minor thing. Great show so far.

MassiveNights

Oct 25, 2017
I just wanted this to be a kinda goofy, pulpy fantasy and that's pretty much what it is. I'm enjoying the hell out of it.

I just wish the set designs didn't look so bland.

Yep it's some nerdy ass fantasy and its isn't ashamed of it. Think that's what I am so into it. Feels really earnest and isnt trying to be something else or high drama.

Landawng

The Fallen
Nov 9, 2017
Denver/Aurora, CO
Man two episodes in an I'm loving it y'all

Cavil is absolutely killing it as Geralt. I'm loving what they are doing with Yennefer too.Is this how her upbringing was in the books too? Was she sort of deformed as a child?

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Watched the first episode. It felt like it started a bit rough, and some of the cinematography and effects kind of stick out as poor, at least at first. There is a point in the beginning where they are juggling bits about the story and cutting and it takes a while to click. However, the episode really comes together by the end.

They nailed the fight scenes. They are shot really well, and fun to watch. Also, I enjoyed Renfri's character quite a bit. I do think they should have started with a different story at first to help build up, but at least the episode built up well and ended strong.

Definitely can see myself watching more, and it makes me want to read more of the books. There are some things I think they could do better here, but it still came together and ultimately I enjoyed it.

Oct 26, 2017
Episode 4
Holy moly, Ciri's grandmother is a terrible person. I feel bad for Ciri for the opening slaughter, but less bad for everyone else involved.

Yen on the beach burying the baby was powerful.

Holy shit, that Geralt ending slayed me. "Fuck."

Last edited:

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Great show with great last episode. The narrative structure was a bit over the place and sometimes hard to follow. A bit unnecessarily convoluted. The CGI was iffy but it wasn't overused and some of the monsters looked really good because they used puppets/costumes. Sword fights were really good and well choreographed.

Like I said before, MORE Geralt would have been cool. It felt more like The Witcher: Yennefer to me, especially in that last episode. Which isn't bad, because she is rather dope. But still Geralt > Yennefer. Can't wait for the second season.

Deleted member 46948

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I didn't say that, you weirdo. The question was about the games.
I think it's worthwhile to point out that no-one else tried to make Geralt sound like a parody of Solid Snake. There are three different adaptations in its native language and all of them made him sound like a human being. The Polish TV show has always been a joke, but Żebrowski's portayal of the character is actually pretty good, all things considered.

While I have zero problems with Cavill's portrayal (even though I do have some reservations about other things in this show), I have to agree that I did like Zebrowski's Geralt (even if almost everything else about that adaptation was terrible).

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
Just finished it. 9/10 for me. Loved every minute of it. Geralt and Yennefer were phenomenal and the music felt like something straight out of the TW3! Absolutely incredible.

Mórríoghain

Nov 2, 2017
Watched the first episode.

I wouldn't continue if this wasn't The Witcher. I can't find any redeeming qualities apart from it being The Witcher in the first episode. I'll watch every single episode because I love the source material and Cavill's portrayal of Geralt but I hope it picks up.

Darksol

Oct 28, 2017
Japan
End of the episode. I'm out. Bad CGI, stilted dialog, laughable squishy sounds in battles, random out of place dialog , too much over acting (especially in battle scenes), music that is overly invasive in most scenes, set and costume designs hampered by a budget that can't accommodate them—basically, there's nothing really standing out to keep me on board.

Geralt is fine for the most part. It's everything around him that sucks.

I'm glad that this board is largely enjoying it, but it's not for me. Luckily I still have the books and the games.

Deleted member 46948

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Cavil is absolutely killing it as Geralt. I'm loving what they are doing with Yennefer too.Is this how her upbringing was in the books too? Was she sort of deformed as a child?

Yennefer's backstory is very briefly mentioned in the books, it's something like a couple of sentences even. But yeah, the gist of it is something similar to what you see in the show

(minus the weird thing with
battery eels
)

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The games all happen after the story in the books and the show. At worst, playing the games will spoil the show, not the other way around.
there are entries in the game when you collect books and scrolls that make more sense after watching this series

the books and scrolls are loot in the game and cover lore/events preceding the witcher 3 so no harm no foul
No. The show follows the books which all takes place before the games. All the games take place after the books, so they weren't bound to follow anything.
Thanks!