• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
DigitalTrends liked it
Even without seeing the final three episodes of the first season, I'm not surprised Netflix has seen fit to renew The Witcher for a second season.

The world inhabited by Geralt, Ciri, and Yennefer is as fascinating as their story is compelling, and the show's first five episodes feel like the early chapters in a story with much more to tell and a far greater world to explore.

Unlike so many dark fantasy series that have come and gone, The Witcher feels as if it's aiming higher than the typical sword-and-sorcery fare, demanding more of its audience by telling a complicated story without seeming desperate to keep your attention with gratuitous elements. It's a bold approach, and it pays off with a nuanced, layered tale that draws you in a bit more with each episode.

If the rest of season 1 unfolds as impressively as the first five episodes, two seasons could be just the starting point for The Witcher, and we'll be seeing quite a bit more of Geralt of Rivia down the road.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It's going to be confusing as fuck when they start jumping around timelines to show Geralt and Ciri's past lol

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Finally going to sub to Netflix tonight to watch this! I've avoided the app for so many years I feel kinda sad about it =P I assume I can find a free trial or something somewhere?

Reviews are about what I expected, but I'm glad to see all the gaming publications love it. Means it should go down well for us at least! And with season 2 already locked in I guess the main thing we hope for now is strong viewing figures, if we want a long series with increased budget.

Deleted member 5129

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What the fuck is that Entertainment Weekly review, what an embarrassing shit show. Don't publish a review if you're gonna do -this-

Gray

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, I didn't expect much but that first episode gave me the witcher feeling of the books mixed with a bit of the games. It is very good. I hope it continues in the same spirit.

Deleted member 2229

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, I didn't expect much but that first episode gave me the witcher feeling of the books mixed with a bit of the games. It is very good. I hope it continues in the same spirit.
This is where I'm at. Pretty happy with it so far.
Only issue is the Snyder desaturation look to most of the scenes. The one scene with colors that popped and were vibrant looked fantastic and felt closer to witcher 2 and 3. Think the show would be better if it was color graded like that instead of the drab MoS look, though its not a huge issue either way.

Jamiaro

Jan 8, 2018
Finland
Nah, not for me. Gonna watch a few more episodes over time but this did not hook me at all. The main cast is golden and enjoyable but everything else, just a big meh. "Lifeless" comes to mind if I'd need to describe the first episode by a single word.

selo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Episode 2
did your mom f$@#!d a snowman?! Im laughing way more than I expected.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Nah, not for me. Gonna watch a few more episodes over time but this did not hook me at all. The main cast is golden and enjoyable but everything else, just a big meh. "Lifeless" comes to mind if I'd need to describe the first episode by a single word.

The cast is like the most important thing after one episode though.

Lashes.541

Dec 18, 2017
Roseburg Oregon
I believe she is 18 or 19, thereabouts.
That makes sense, she was trying to be awkward! and to me it felt like a adult and not a girl that is about I think 14 at this point in the story. Not in a gross way but I'm around 14 year old girls every day so the body language felt really off to me. Kind of like child actors that when doing interviews come off as like a thirty year old in a kids body😂 now yen on the other hand still looks way to young to me!

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Watched the first episode so far, it's OK, music is good, and the fighting is well done. Writing is a bit eh and the CGI monster was not great, but I like the cast. Hopefully I enjoy it more as it goes on.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
First Episode was great. It felt like a book adaptation of a game adaptation of the book if that makes sense.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
First episode wrapped up. Not as good as my lofty hopes, but a lot better than I expected.

At times it's a bit cheesy and off putting, some costumes a little cosplay-ish, dialogue a bit hammy, and so on and so forth. It's definitely straight down the gullet with the whole setup and concept and doesn't shy away from the heavier fantasy elements. Despite using Eastern European instrumentation the actual tone of the show is a bit neutral, in the sense that it's Typical Medieval Fantasy stuff. The ballsack armour is awful and probably the best example where a silly conceptual design and vision really looks cheap given the surrounding production quality.

That being said, I enjoyed it a lot. The acting is completely fine, even if Cavill is full blown channelling video game Geralt. I really like the actress playing Ciri, her performance is strong. The supporting characters so far deliver their lines well and fine that eloquent balance between seriousness and humour. The first episode is faithful to the source material and does a superb job of setting up the hooks. The fight scenes both small and large are a lot better than I expected it. Episode 1's market fight is just utterly sublime; very well shot and choreographed.

It's good. I'm in. I hope it holds this quality at least, because I'm enjoying what I'm in for. It's not quite as coherent in its visual tone as I'd like, and doesn't really have the cultural imprint of its source material, but so far it's doing a good job with what it has to work with.

So yeah. Colour me surprised, and happy.

Lashes.541

Dec 18, 2017
Roseburg Oregon
Also, the first scene made me sad...stupid spider! I was hoping a drowner was going to jump up. I read the books...but to me the games are "my" Witcher. And so far it feels like the games to me, especially the music while different seems pretty close to the games style. Also stupid knuckles game. At first I thought they were playing the dice game from Witcher two.

Foxnull

Alt-Account
Banned
May 30, 2019
So for those that have watched a episode, what did it adapt? The short stories?

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
So for those that have watched a episode, what did it adapt? The short stories?

They mixed the short stories with the main books, which is the correct approach.

Doing one or the other alone wouldn't work. But the timelines are hard to follow as Yen for example is quite old (I think even older than Geralt) and there's no indication that her origin story takes back in the past. Taking the present as Ciri's stuff, that is.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Is Yen not in the first episode? Have only heard people talking about Ciri and Cavill so far

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
No. I'm gonna sit down for the second episode shortly and I assume that introduces her. The first sets up Geralt and Ciri as characters, and begins their arcs.

Yeah makes sense. I watched basically every interview on YouTube and it was obvious Henry and Freya were going to be decent at worst. Yen seemed a bit more spotty so I'm most interested in how that works out. I'll be watching in about an hour though anyway.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah makes sense. I watched basically every interview on YouTube and it was obvious Henry and Freya were going to be decent at worst. Yen seemed a bit more spotty so I'm most interested in how that works out. I'll be watching in about an hour though anyway.

Pretty much. From the start she's been my big worry, and I still don't know why they cast someone so young as Yen, but I've got my fingers crossed she makes rather than breaks. I've been pretty cynical about the whole thing for awhile now, and I'm a lot more positive after the first episode.

Scythe

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Onto the third episode. This one's longer than the rest so far. The binge is real.

Sawyer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Man, Entertainment Weekly's "review" sounds like they went in hostile from the start and never intended to watch.

Deleted member 1478

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Just finished watching the first episode and thought it was very promising. My only real complaint (and this is just first judgment, she may get better) was that Ciri came across as a bit bland. I almost wish they'd swapped her actress with the girl from Blavekin as she was immediately likeable.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just started and people are saying it looks worse than CW?

WTF are they smoking?

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if I'll be able to finish this season. Already had to take a break during episode 1 or else I would probably burst.
Everything looks fake and sound stagey. Even when it's pretty, it looks like a shampoo commercial. There's no sense of place and constant cutting between timelines doesn't help.
The writing is incredibly stilted and whenever they come close to quoting the books, it sounds like a tl;dr version of the original. The Lesser Evil shouldn't have been rushed through and chopped up like this.
Cavill hasn't said a single line that sounded natural. He's not acting, he's just doing a Video Game Geralt impression.

So far, the highlights have been the bit parts and original characters. Marilka sounded more like Sapkowski's Ciri than the constipated princess (incidentally, that's the character Freya Allan was originally cast for).
The woman playing Renfri had potential, it's too bad her story was cut down so much, she ended up being a shell of her former self.

Deleted member 2229

Oct 25, 2017
Man the sword fight in the first episode is one of if not the best live action sword fights ive ever seen and it's very much channeling the witcher games whilist showing why witchers are so feared in combat. Wild.

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Man the sword fight in the first episode is one of if not the best live action sword fights ive ever seen and it's very much channeling the witcher games whilist showing why witchers are so feared in combat. Wild.

I won't be able to watch for a few more hours, but the sword fighting and battle scenes have pretty consistently received the highest praise from those who have watched it.

ClydeBonFrog

Apr 17, 2018
I enjoyed the first episode quite a bit. Man that sword fight when Geralt got back to Blavikin was super fucking cool.

Raskol

Sep 5, 2018
Wasn't super impressed by Episode 1, but it wasn't bad. The sword fighting however, holy shit. I am so down for lots more of that.