• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
I think it's pretty safe to say he didn't like it.

Or reviewing the show fell on someone else in the company and he just piggybacked few episodes in from that access. If he was given task of reviewing it then he would, if he wouldn't have liked show surely review would have reflected that.

But sure, lets use that tweet to imply show totally blows because why not?

stat84

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a countdown on the exact time this will become available?Or is it midnight wherever you are?

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Or reviewing the show fell on someone else in the company and he just piggybacked few episodes in from that access. If he was given task of reviewing it then he would, if he wouldn't have liked show surely review would have reflected that.

But sure, lets use that tweet to imply show totally blows because why not?

If he liked it, he would have said so. He's usually not that terse.

deleted. Who was it from and what'd it say?

...huh. That's odd.

It was from Alan Sepinwall and he said that he watched 2 episodes and wouldn't be reviewing it.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
If he liked it, he would have said so. He's usually not that terse.

He watched 2 episodes and decided he doesn't like it.

Personally I think that is bit jumping the gun as most series take good 3-4 episodes of their first season to find their stride.

But he decided that he doesn't like it, fine. I still wouldn't take out Magic 8 Ball and tarot cards and start reading too much into that.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
Not sure how you judge a show after two episodes. I would've dropped Game of Thrones if I did that.

Werd

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
The trailers, while not bad, have still left me skeptical. Lack of early reviews isn't helping, seems like Netflix typically has some at least a small window.

That said, definitely planning to watch it all even if mediocre and obviously if it's great all the better. Have been listening to The Last Wish audiobook this week which should be partially covered.

Moppeh

Oct 28, 2017
The trailers, while not bad, have still left me skeptical. Lack of early reviews isn't helping, seems like Netflix typically has some at least a small window.

That said, definitely planning to watch it all even if mediocre and obviously if it's great all the better. Have been listening to The Last Wish audiobook this week which should be partially covered.

As someone pointed out earlier, Mindhunter S2 was embargoed until release day and that ended up being great. Plus, Netflix renewed this for a second season already. So there is still hope that this turns out pretty good.

I like the main trailer quite a bit, but yeah, the rest of them have been rather lacking.

Smokey_Run

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This is the only professional review so far, I think. There were some critic impressions of the screeners for the first five episodes (there was a thread here, I think); the screeners for the last three episodes were released sometime yesterday, so there should be more impressions today.
Ok cool. I was aware of the impressions for the first five episodes, but wanted to check out some actual reviews.

Seems I'm in the same boat as others. I'm still skeptical about the show and I really don't feel like renewing Netflix if it's not good. I'd rather wait for something else to come along and just catch it then.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
With Netflix's all-at-once model it makes sense to embargo until release. Then whenever someone sees a review they can go watch it literally right now. If people read ahead of time you may have drop offs. And with weekly releases it's important to hammer a start date into people's heads because ratings are important, so getting people hyped before is big. Netflix don't care if you watch day one or day seven.

I would rather early reviews but it makes sense.

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017
If I don't enjoy TROS tonight, at least I'll have this to enjoy this weekend. Hopefully...

Jay Shadow

Oct 28, 2017
Honestly surprised Sepinwall even gave it a shot. He doesn't review as many things since he moved to Rolling Stone and this didn't seem like his wheel house. Guess if enough main stream outlets say "the next Game of Thrones?" you have to at least give it a look to confirm that it's not an awards contender.

Grazzt

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
Can't fucking wait
I have an international flight 5 hours after the show is released, I'll download the episodes and watch them in the air.

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Count me in as "hyped but terrified that it will be bad". Netflix renewing for a second season already just means they know a ton of people will watch it, not that it's good.

May 17, 2018
Oh no.. The Independent 2/5
The Witcher is a messy tangle of plotlines in a world underdeveloped to the point of obscurity. The experience is not unlike playing a video game, where deaths, diversions and reboots leave you constantly unsure of your exact position in the narrative. Sadly, for The Witcher, and House Netflix, their offering lacks even that modicum of fun.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017

the actors around Cavill over-annunciating like they're doing Shakespeare rather than a video-game adaptation
Seems weird they outright state it's based on books but then lean hard into trying to say it's actually a video game adaptation.

Really seems like a large portion of the dislike is from the seriousness, and I wonder how much of that is from thinking it's from a video game and thus can't take itself seriously.

ZeeAyKay

Oct 25, 2017
4/5 from NME

There's a lighter, more cartoonish tone, as there would be when there's so many exotic fantasy monsters and witchcraft flying about, and a strong comedy thread too, particularly in the form of Joey Batey's fame-hungry minstrel Jaskier. All told, this is a fun, often thrilling romp, and the mother of all cut-scenes while we await The Witcher 4.

greatgeek

Oct 25, 2017
Some tracks supposedly from the OST are on YouTube. The music is very evocative of The Witcher 3's, if genuine.

Edit: Not genuine.

Nola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Honestly surprised Sepinwall even gave it a shot. He doesn't review as many things since he moved to Rolling Stone and this didn't seem like his wheel house. Guess if enough main stream outlets say "the next Game of Thrones?" you have to at least give it a look to confirm that it's not an awards contender.
He really liked GoT season 1.

Even with him reviewing less these days, his taste always aligned with mine more than most critics. I was hyped for this but this has me worried.

I'm already drastically reducing my expectations from these early leaks...Hope I wake up tomorrow and the reviews tell me i am wrong

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He really liked GoT season 1.

Even with him reviewing less these days, his taste always aligned with mine more than most critics. I was hyped for this but this has me worried.

I'm already drastically reducing my expectations from these early leaks...Hope I wake up tomorrow and the reviews tell me i am wrong
Yeah, I've generally really enjoyed Sepinwall. Connected with his reviews when Hannibal was airing.

I'm not expecting Watchmen or Chernobyl. I'm hoping for something pulpy, fun, with strong characters. I've been, overall, a bit disappointed with The Mandalorian, even though it's mostly entertaining--it's really lacking, character-wise.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
That review is complete cringe from the get-go. The reviewer wastes paragraphs comparing the show to Game of Thrones while also makes weird claims like GoT is low fantasy while Witcher is high fantasy (??). It seemed like he was pissed off for the fact that he did not know everything - the politics, why monsters exist, etc. Like, as if GoT answered everything in it's first season.

One thing he mentions which I find concerning is that Yennefer's actress is bad. It looked as much from the trailers but I'll live with it.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
4/5 from common sense media

With its medieval magical vibe and complex fantastical storytelling, this arresting drama reads like a Game of Thrones knockoff, but darned if it doesn't actually cast a spell. In a genre that often comes off as thunderingly self-important (is there a weapon or person or geographic location without a vainglorious three-word name in the Lord of the Rings trilogy?), The Witcher's greatest bit of daring is to treat its epic storytelling with a big dash of irony. The puffery-puncturing vibe arrives early, as Henry Cavill's square-jawed smirks make it clear that both actor and character recognize and relish the ridiculousness of monsters and long velvet cloaks and lone swordsmen doomed to roam from town to town on grim missions. But things really kick into gear in the second episode, when Joey Batey shows up as the ebullient bard Jaskier, more or less the comic-relief Donkey to Geralt's Shrek.

What a wonderful character Jaskier is: swishy, mouthy, and relentlessly roughhousing, he joyfully undercuts the solemnity of The Witcher's battles and political drama, often by economically summing up what's taken place in dialogue or song.

Bubukill

Oct 25, 2017
Panama
So far, it seems the reviewers are praising Jaskier'sperformance!

That 2/5 review does not make sense in a lot of fronts.

Nola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I hope I wake up tomorrow and like it no matter what reviewers say.
Unless word of mouth really overrides, I'm not at a point where I really care or have enough time to waste on shows that I have to hope are the rare instance where my hype and hope is correct and critical consensus amongst reviewers that align with my tastes are wrong(if the unfortunate happens with this series critically). If critics pan it, Or even give it lukewarm reviews, I'll follow the thread and see, but my backlog is big enough as it is.

Lonestar

Roll Tahd, Pawl
Oct 25, 2017
Well, Sepinwall gave up on Person of Interest after a handful of episodes before eventually hearing enough good word about it, to revisit it and like it.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
Even if it's not great, it still looks like a show you can have fun with. It doesn't look like it's trying to be the next GoT, and I'd be happy if it were enjoyable but trashy fantasy pulp. It's honestly what I expected from the get-go.

ZeeAyKay

Oct 25, 2017
Although this review by the NYT is pretty lukewarm, it actually makes me less worried since the main complaint is that the budget and cgi are lackluster, especially compared to GoT.

The more salient point for fantasy fans is that the eight episodes of the first season of "The Witcher" (available on Friday) are at a level of production value and writing somewhere south of "Thrones" and somewhere north, but not too far north, of a Syfy channel supernatural series. It's more of a Saturday-morning adventure than a Sunday-night prestige project.

As developed by Lauren Schmidt Hissrich (a writer and producer, most recently, for the Netflix series "The Defenders" and "The Umbrella Academy"), it's also a sort of medieval beast-of-the-week procedural. A number of episodes begin with a local bigwig or a group of villagers complaining about a monster that's eating them or their livestock, and a testy negotiation between them and Geralt over his fee for eliminating said monster.

If it sounds like that could be fun, you're right. "The Witcher" has a lighthearted sense of humor — another difference between it and "Game of Thrones," whose jokes landed with the force of tankards slammed on oaken boards. We're not talking high comedy, but you could do worse than watching Cavill, as Geralt, pour out his troubles to his horse, the only creature the Witcher will really open up to.