• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Elven_Star

Oct 27, 2017
Is there an option to play the expansions without a save on the PC version like with the Switch version? Picked the game up for the Switch but I love it so fucking much I want to experience the expansions in its full glory on PC, unfortunately already too deep in the main game to start over on PC.
Yeah, they are standalone. Just pick the option to start either expansion from the main menu.

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
I'm right there on the bandwagon.

Bought and installed Thronebreaker last night (which is on sale on XBL for like £12 atm) and reinstalled TW3. Never did finish Blood and Wine.

Going back to it after all this time and there still being new content is madness. I also didn't know there was a NG+ either, though I'm not sure I'll carry enough steam to do both.

Deleted member 37739

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 8, 2018
She sacrifices this for power, but like humans in general....she wants more...she has desired to be the most beautiful powerful sorceress she can be at any cost..she then decides that she want's what she gave up, and was taken from her. Who has the right to say she can't have this, even if it was her choice initially.... that's how I believe she feels.

We may have to agree to disagree; if this is the show's intent, I'm not sure how well it's communicated. If they wanted to emphasise her will to power...
...then why ignore her three decades as a court sorcerer (where she had the ear of kings and queens) in favour of a scene where she flees from a rented assassin and leaves him to murder an innocent woman and her child?

Why have her placed under house arrest by a local mayor only to waste her time arranging bizarre orgies and helping troubled husbands with their impotence?

Why have her almost kill herself mistakenly assuming that the genie's wishes had been given to Dandelion and not Geralt (this would have been a good chance to demonstrate how much smarter she is than Geralt, but alas...)? It's Geralt who figures this out and, as any buff male protagonist should, risks life and limb to save her in a bold act of heroism (after which, she beds him, obviously).

Why continually strip the poor woman down to her draws and have her offered up as a sexual curiosity to the male characters (she's bedded as part of her sorcery initiation for some reason, slips into the tub with Geralt and is remarked on only with reference to being a possible conquest by Dandelion when he wakes up next to her topless and gyrating on his bed).

It can be argued that this is all consistent with her character, but the problem is, I've seen it all before - women defined by their looks, their motherhood and their subjection to male sexual interest - and I might be asking too much of a 'tits and wyverns' style fantasy romp, but if CDPR can manage it, I'd think Netflix could.

All that said, I don't honestly knock anyone who had a great time with the show and found a lot to like - these are things that I look out for in storytelling and not necessarily what anyone else should look out for. The show has attracted a lot of commentary both positive and negative and I hope they get a second season to develop what they've got and broaden the scope for the series.

Christo750

May 10, 2018
About 3-4 hours into the Switch version from hype for the show. First time playing it ever and I'm definitely fighting through the controls a bit but I love the world.

Oct 28, 2017
I started playing it about a week with the goal of finally finishing the main game and all the expansions. Such a fantastic game so far and I'm only about 12 hours in.

Deleted member 62100

Banned
Dec 12, 2019
Yay, another nonsensical comparison to a game of a completely different genre and format.

Both series are technically story-heavy, open-world, third-person action RPGs in the fantasy genre, became popular around the same time, and over the years have CONSTANTLY been compared to one another. Is it only nonsensical because you think my opinion is wrong?

This fucking place. People don't ever like to have actual conversations as to why they think someone else is wrong or right, they just shout at them in hopes they'll get riled, feel bad, or shut up. Because then they might have to back up their claims with anything besides raw, subjective emotion. Passive-aggressive bullies, the lot of you.

EDIT: I'm just not going to lurk or post on the forum anymore, I know no big loss, who cares fuck off junior. You all genuinely terrify me.

Last edited:

kitzkozan

Oct 25, 2017
I also started watching the show and it is indeed a strong motivating factor in making me finish The Witcher 2 (I had a problem booting up the game which I resolved so it's time to finish it). Later this week I'll play the DLC of TW3 while watching the show as well. :P

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
I'm right there on the bandwagon.

Bought and installed Thronebreaker last night (which is on sale on XBL for like £12 atm) and reinstalled TW3. Never did finish Blood and Wine.

Going back to it after all this time and there still being new content is madness. I also didn't know there was a NG+ either, though I'm not sure I'll carry enough steam to do both.
The story and voice acting to Thronebreaker is awesome even if the actual gameplay is a bit of a drag.

PunchDrunk28

Oct 28, 2017
Both series are technically story-heavy, open-world, third-person action RPGs in the fantasy genre, became popular around the same time, and over the years have CONSTANTLY been compared to one another. Is it only nonsensical because you think my opinion is wrong?

This fucking place. People don't ever like to have actual conversations as to why they think someone else is wrong or right, they just shout at them in hopes they'll get riled, feel bad, or shut up. Because then they might have to back up their claims with anything besides raw, subjective emotion. Passive-aggressive bullies, the lot of you.

EDIT: I'm just not going to lurk or post on the forum anymore, I know no big loss, who cares fuck off junior. You all genuinely terrify me.

I'll have the discussion with you. It is an interesting comparison for sure.

Are we comparing Witcher 3 to Dark Souls 1?

Stainless

Feb 26, 2018
Nashville,TN
Guilty. Fired it back up yesterday. I'd completed main campaign and started the dlc but left off to play other stuff and just never got back to it. The dlc is weird to me cz my ending in main game was more or less happily ever after with Yennefer but now in dlc she's nowhere to be found and Geralt is banging a hot redhead nurse in a rickety boat.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
I mean, not at all but to each their own.
Yeah, each their own. I personally think the way the main story is written is much better in The Witcher 1 than any other Witcher title (note: main, because Hearts of Stone obviously is better than any Witcher storyline in any game). Sure, it's a bit silly lorewise to just introduce a not-Ciri (Alwin) and to, for some reason, decide to merge Yennefer into Triss, but the actual main story is in my opinion much better executed than that of The Witcher 3 simply due to the fact it totally nails its ending. I adore The Witcher 3, but the main story totally falls apart at the ending. Witcher 1 totally nails the ending and even contains a surprise twist for the people who pay attention to the dialogue and some in-game items.
The main villain is not-Ciri aka Alwin.

Witcher 2 in general is just an inferior game IMO and the weakest in the Witcher franchise, despite me still generally liking it. It's just feels so awkward to play, probably because it was made with consoles in mind even though CD Projekt RED didn't actually have any experience working on consoles. Also, while the way the story was told was quite ambitious, I do feel that it was maybe a bit too ambitious and didn't quite work out how it was presented.

Not saying that The Witcher 1 is some unknown masterpiece, because it also has some very glaring flaws. The graphics and voice acting are hilariously awful (though I can overlook that as it's a small indie RPG from a poor Eastern European country and hey, it wasn't nearly as bad as Two Worlds) and the sex card business is, well, embarrassing to say the least.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2017
Haven't watched the show yet.

Own it on PS4 and have played 0 minutes of it.

Gonna buy it for Switch for a few International flights coming up.

The hype is real.

(But, in all seriousness, it's a desire to be a part of a phenomenon....my wife, who doesn't like video games, saw the trailer for the Netflix show and was really into it! I really feel like The Witcher is surpassing where it once was!)

RobotVM

Oct 27, 2017
I own it on Xbox but bought it on Switch for the portability. I played it docked last night but man is it hard to get passed the blurriness.

Feb 16, 2018
I want to play it again when I finish all the books, I'm interested in Throne Breaker though how do people here like that?

Selphie

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
I played a few hours on pc a few years ago but I stopped playing for some reason, now thanks to the show I picked it up during the current eshop sale on switch, I always prefer the portable experience.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Is it only nonsensical because you think my opinion is wrong?
I call it nonsensical because I think the comparison assumes only one format is the "proper" way of doing narrative, and I think both games prove exactly that there's a case to be made for both formats. They coexist, they don't trumple each other and you can like both. I would be sad if the industry created a consensus that Witcher 3's approach is "inferior" to doing the item-lore approach of Bloodborne and vice versa.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017

Yeeeeeeeeesh

The poster tried to engage with you in their next post, but you couldn't even wait to throw this out😂

LAA

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Not surprised, been wanting to as well now.
I'm more considering Witcher 1 and 2 though as I never beat them. Witcher 1 I recall annoying me almost immeadiately gameplay wise, but I'll try again. Witcher 2 I thought was good enough to play so can imagine going though that.

I also noticed I have Witcher 3 GOTY, compared to the original version I had, on GOG which I'm tempted to play through again on it. I've still been gutted about the ONE underwater cave that never completed due to bug so I could never 100% it on my 200+ hour save..

Deleted member 511

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I started replaying after finished the show too lol. I had actually began another play-through months ago but stopped while doing one of the Keira quests so I was basically still at the beginning of the game. I'm also a lot more impressed with the world this time around because I've been exploring and go after more markers in stuff in this playthrough than my first. I found them overwhelming the first time I played the game and didn't really do any sidequests until I got to the city. There's so much life and detail, for instance:

I actually ran into another witcher, helped him out, and convinced him to go to Kaer Morhen. I never met him in my first playthrough so that was really cool to me.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Especially for those first few the structure of the show is a bit game like. Geralt shows up, encounters NPC or old friend in need, quest ensues.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
We may have to agree to disagree; if this is the show's intent, I'm not sure how well it's communicated. If they wanted to emphasise her will to power...
...then why ignore her three decades as a court sorcerer (where she had the ear of kings and queens) in favour of a scene where she flees from a rented assassin and leaves him to murder an innocent woman and her child?

Why have her placed under house arrest by a local mayor only to waste her time arranging bizarre orgies and helping troubled husbands with their impotence?

Why have her almost kill herself mistakenly assuming that the genie's wishes had been given to Dandelion and not Geralt (this would have been a good chance to demonstrate how much smarter she is than Geralt, but alas...)? It's Geralt who figures this out and, as any buff male protagonist should, risks life and limb to save her in a bold act of heroism (after which, she beds him, obviously).

Why continually strip the poor woman down to her draws and have her offered up as a sexual curiosity to the male characters (she's bedded as part of her sorcery initiation for some reason, slips into the tub with Geralt and is remarked on only with reference to being a possible conquest by Dandelion when he wakes up next to her topless and gyrating on his bed).

It can be argued that this is all consistent with her character, but the problem is, I've seen it all before - women defined by their looks, their motherhood and their subjection to male sexual interest - and I might be asking too much of a 'tits and wyverns' style fantasy romp, but if CDPR can manage it, I'd think Netflix could.

All that said, I don't honestly knock anyone who had a great time with the show and found a lot to like - these are things that I look out for in storytelling and not necessarily what anyone else should look out for. The show has attracted a lot of commentary both positive and negative and I hope they get a second season to develop what they've got and broaden the scope for the series.

All completely valid an well put. I appreciate your thoughts on it. I also thought the orgy was a head scratcher, but ultimately I didn't mind it all too much.

On the gin episode, she had no reason to not believe Geralt, he turned up with dandelion and his throat damaged...she had no reason to think it was geralt...he didn't even know tbf.

Anyway, enjoying the show and can't wait for them to continue it.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
It got me to finally unwrap my Switch version. Here's to another 100+ hours.

Merc

Jun 10, 2018
So The Witcher show popped up on my Netflix homepage. Intrigued. Is it good?

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017

Dark Souls isn't 'story-heavy' or open world though. The games are completely different in their gameplay and delivery of narrative.

shimon

Oct 25, 2017
\o/

The Isle of Mists into Kaer Morhen battle into Aftermath into Bald Mountain is the best sequence in gaming for me. Holy shit was that amazing!

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
No Coincidence that it recently dropped on Xbox game pass as well...it's a game I missed out on back in 2015. 3 episodes in so far, I'm going to actually play it at some point.

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
I'm one of them! Played it in 2016 on the PS4, but never touched the DLC, only the base game.

Started from scratch today on the Switch version. What an amazing game!

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
This show has made me REALLY wish Thronebreaker had gotten a Switch port. I love the game, but for whatever reason it's not the sort of game I wanna sit at my desk or my TV and play for extended periods.

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
9a0j9tz.gif

Who wouldn't want to play the GOAT all over again?

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
My cousin is playing Thronebraker just because of that.
Also, more people should play Thronebraker, is about Queen Meve before she gives Geralt his Geralt of Rivia title.
So it comes before and mid books amd its pretty great. Not a lot of people have played so if you are a fan of the books and games (and now of the netflix series) you will probably love it.
Also has a great and powerful main female character with Meve.

Cogg

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah the show gave me the itch as well. I'm installing it as we speak. Never completed the main quest let alone the DLC. Probably just gonna jump straight into blood and wine

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
I have played TW3 three times already, so there's not much left to do or see there for me.

HOWEVER, I've been dragging my feet to buy Thronebreaker and I finally did it after watching the show. I can't wait to play it!
If youve read the books you are going to enjoy it inmensely.
Meve is an awesome character.

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
This show has made me REALLY wish Thronebreaker had gotten a Switch port. I love the game, but for whatever reason it's not the sort of game I wanna sit at my desk or my TV and play for extended periods.

Isn't Thronebreaker been announced recently for the Switch?

Edit: Ah, still unconfirmed, but rumored!

KyngKee

Oct 25, 2017
I'm one of those ppl. I've started the Witcher 3 3 times this gen. Start it and put it down for months then start it again. It just doesn't hold my attention. But, I'm going to give it one more chance...

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah the show gave me the itch as well. I'm installing it as we speak. Never completed the main quest let alone the DLC. Probably just gonna jump straight into blood and wine
I tried that a few weeks ago but it just felt so disconnected. Didn't help that I can't use my old save game with my GOTY edition on PS4.

I will do a clean restart someday with both DLCs.

ken_matthews

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I started watching the show and had the same feeling. I wanted to reinstall Witcher 3 but not because the show is good. I think the show is really bad. I made it through 3 episodes, but then called it quits. I never read the books, so I don't know how it compares, but the show made me really appreciate how great of a game it is. Reinstalling now.